Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Chevy Camaro vs... Comparison of Chevy Camaro versus its competition. *NO STREET RACING STORIES*

Old 10-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Next Camaro design (as always?) to be influenced by Mustang

From 38:50, GM happy to let Mustang lead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=fCWrjcPaFmw

Last edited by Fenderaddict2; 10-21-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Fixed link.
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
link blows
Old 10-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Seem to have the problem since switching to the iPhone5. I copy and paste what's displayed and... Nothing.

Help make it happen for Fast Myles Racing '15 TRAK Kart Racing Sponsorship http://igg.me/p/fast-myles-racing-15...ship/x/9223957 #indiegogo via @indiegogo
Old 10-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=fCWrjcPaFmw

Help make it happen for Fast Myles Racing '15 TRAK Kart Racing Sponsorship http://igg.me/p/fast-myles-racing-15...ship/x/9223957 #indiegogo via @indiegogo
Old 10-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Personally if I wanted the gen 6 Camaro to be great I would more look at the higher performing brands and use them as a benchmark. Imagine what it would have been like if GM had made the gen 5 Camaro to compete with the GTR.
L99CAMA2011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'd like to keep the aggressive, angular lines of the current generation with a more evolutionary turn toward high-end exotics. The Camaro has a history of fighting and being inspired by some high-end cars.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I'd like to keep the aggressive, angular lines of the current generation with a more evolutionary turn toward high-end exotics. The Camaro has a history of fighting and being inspired by some high-end cars.
Not for design I meant for handling performace and power.
L99CAMA2011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

I love the basic look of the current car, just wish it was slightly trimmer and less "cartoon-y". Hopefully they respond to the Mustang but chart a fresh course evolving from the current car.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Not for design I meant for handling performace and power.
That's what I meant, too.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I remember watching that interview he talked about a couple months ago and the impression that I got from that wasn't exterior design so much as things like engine options. In fact, I think Al said that in specifically in response to having a turbo4 in the Camaro, I could be wrong though.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #11
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I remember watching that interview he talked about a couple months ago and the impression that I got from that wasn't exterior design so much as things like engine options. In fact, I think Al said that in specifically in response to having a turbo4 in the Camaro, I could be wrong though.
That would make more sense.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #12
KMPrenger

Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
I love Camaro design...for me it has just the right lines....they are hard lines but its not over-done. We loved the concept and that is what GM gave us. "Cartoony" or not, it is still one of the more striking designs on the road (especially in its price range) and I see no need to soften it up too much for the next gen.

I'll be dissapointed if once again, we see yet another American design (Next gen Mustang and Corvette anyone???) turn to European cars for inspiration rather than just evolving from what we currently have.

I can't blame GM if they deviate from the design quite a bit and go with soemthing new (which has happened just about every generation...the closest being gens 1 and 2), but I think an evolutionary step forward using a similar design would also be a smart choice. The current car design is a huge homerun, and using it on a slightly smaller, lighter 6th Gen Alpha platform would be a knockout.
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #13
Swacer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Imagine what it would have been like if GM had made the gen 5 Camaro to compete with the GTR.
lol

You want a 100% price increase in the cost of the Camaro then?

You can't expect super car performance without super car cost.
~Imperial Blue Metallic~LS3~M6~GM High Spoiler~GM Ground Effect~GM Tower Brace~Heritage Grill~Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake~Stainless Works Exhaust~Stainless Power Headers~VMAX Ported Throttle Body~Tuned By Frost~GEN5DYI Spare Clutch Reservior~Barton Short Throw~ShowStopper Side Markers~UMI Performance Trailing Arms~UMI Performance Tunnel Brace
Swacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #14
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I love Camaro design...for me it has just the right lines....they are hard lines but its not over-done. We loved the concept and that is what GM gave us. "Cartoony" or not, it is still one of the more striking designs on the road (especially in its price range) and I see no need to soften it up too much for the next gen.

I'll be dissapointed if once again, we see yet another American design (Next gen Mustang and Corvette anyone???) turn to European cars for inspiration rather than just evolving from what we currently have.

I can't blame GM if they deviate from the design quite a bit and go with soemthing new (which has happened just about every generation...the closest being gens 1 and 2), but I think an evolutionary step forward using a similar design would also be a smart choice. The current car design is a huge homerun, and using it on a slightly smaller, lighter 6th Gen Alpha platform would be a knockout.
I don't understand your statement about the 1st and 2nd gens being the closest in design. To me they were completely different. When the second Gen came out even Chevrolet said it was European influenced. The 3rd and 4th gens were much closer than 1 and 2.

And to the OP several times the Camaro went with a different design philosophy than the mustang. Anyone remember the Mustang II? The Camaro never went that direction. And before that the early 71 to 73 Mustang was no where like the 70's Camaros. In my opinion the only Camaros that were influenced directly by Mustang design were the 1st and 5th gens.

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 10-26-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #15
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
And to the OP several times the Camaro went with a different design philosophy than the mustang. Anyone remember the Mustang II? The Camaro never went that direction. And before that the early 71 to 73 Mustang was no where like the 70's Camaros. In my opinion the only Camaros that were influenced directly by Mustang design were the 1st and 5th gens.
That they did, and when they did initially we got the best Camaros of all (1970 Split Bumper and 1982). But when the "evolved" those designs we got some abominations ('76 & '93). In any case, the first gen and the 5th gen both followed the path created by Mustang.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #16
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I don't understand your statement about the 1st and 2nd gens being the closest in design. To me they were completely different. When the second Gen came out even Chevrolet said it was European influenced. The 3rd and 4th gens were much closer than 1 and 2.

Thinking back...the front and rear of the 2nd gen versus the 1st was quite a bit different, but the stance and side profile seems pretty similar to me. The 4th gen looks like a softned up version of the 3rd so I guess I could agree with you.
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
Old 10-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #17
Brutal SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
The very existence of Camaro was in response to Mustang, so it makes sense that Chevy will be reactive versus being proactive in the next design. However, I personally would like Chevy to build the next gen based on the 5th gens basic appearance, regardless of what Ford does to the next Mustang.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #18
C5RocksC5
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
lol

You want a 100% price increase in the cost of the Camaro then?

You can't expect super car performance without super car cost.
I disagree. The current ZL1 is pretty damn close already. Cut a couple of hundred pounds and increase the SC boost, with its awesome suspension...it is right there for $60k.
C5RocksC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #19
trademaster

Drives: 06 Maserati gran sport, 12 z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5RocksC5 View Post
I disagree. The current ZL1 is pretty damn close already. Cut a couple of hundred pounds and increase the SC boost, with its awesome suspension...it is right there for $60k.
Yeah, just add body panels and suspension/drivetrain components made of composites and high-grade aluminum and toss in an ls9 for free. That'll be profitable for gm.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #20
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5RocksC5 View Post
Wait for the 6th gen...where an application like the ZL1 would probably weigh in the 3,700 to 3,800 lb range on the Alpha platform.