Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 10-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
sierra 43

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Broken down, AGAIN

Well my 2012 ZL1 was just roll backed to the Chevrolet dealer. As some may remember about a month ago I posted that it had shut off and then restarted and I nursed it back to the dealer where it was"fixed".

Today when I parked it, ran into the Post Office and came back out it would not even turn over. Everything else worked fine, but it showed "engine power reduced", "Service Stabilitrak". I called Chevrolet Roadside assistance and told them I needed tow, (the dealer did offer to look up the number for me). They advised that the tow company would be there in an hour and fifteen minutes. I asked would this company have the equipment to install the spring spacers. To which they replied "The what?" I advised the young lady on the phone that this was ZL1 and needed special towing. "oh yeah they know what they are doing".

When the roll back arrived I handed him the box with the spacers. You guessed it, not a clue what they were for. A call to the dealer netted us "Look in the owners manual". The 5 lines and the pen and ink drawing in the owners manual left the roll back driver scratching his head. He finally said that he had a plan and he used 4x4s and rolled the front tires on them and the splitter cleared the ramp by 1/8th of an inch.

I am certainly unhappy with this whole ordeal. The car has 1665 miles on it and it is down for the second time. I told the service manager I do not want it back until it is completely repaired and sorted. Honestly I'm not sure I want it back at all. I never have had this happen with any vehicle I have owned. I know Chevrolet builds good cars my 92 Corvette has 115000 miles and doesn't miss a beat. Maybe I bought a lemon or some thing, but this has got to be handled right this time.
sierra 43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
GearheadSS
Member #63

Drives: Lots
That sucks. Something is definitely not right. I don't blame you for feeling the way you do. I hope you get it sorted it out.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Rodslnger

Drives: 2000 camaro ss 427 procharged
I see a sale in the near future !
Old 10-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Drives: '10 Camaro SS and 2LT
Well... i know in NC if the car has the same issue 3 consecutive times you can file lemon law...
stikSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Bet the problem is lack of driving, sounds like the battery is DOA ... Ya'll need to drive these cars more.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
le le le lemonnn
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
DangerZL1

Drives: Accord
SlingShot is right. Could be something as simple as the battery. I'd withhold judgement on the car until you find out what it is. Please let us know. I know it's annoying to have your car let you down.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
oldfriend

Drives: 2010 SS BLK IO interior
ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra 43 View Post
Well my 2012 ZL1 was just roll backed to the Chevrolet dealer. As some may remember about a month ago I posted that it had shut off and then restarted and I nursed it back to the dealer where it was"fixed".

Today when I parked it, ran into the Post Office and came back out it would not even turn over. Everything else worked fine, but it showed "engine power reduced", "Service Stabilitrak". I called Chevrolet Roadside assistance and told them I needed tow, (the dealer did offer to look up the number for me). They advised that the tow company would be there in an hour and fifteen minutes. I asked would this company have the equipment to install the spring spacers. To which they replied "The what?" I advised the young lady on the phone that this was ZL1 and needed special towing. "oh yeah they know what they are doing".

When the roll back arrived I handed him the box with the spacers. You guessed it, not a clue what they were for. A call to the dealer netted us "Look in the owners manual". The 5 lines and the pen and ink drawing in the owners manual left the roll back driver scratching his head. He finally said that he had a plan and he used 4x4s and rolled the front tires on them and the splitter cleared the ramp by 1/8th of an inch.

I am certainly unhappy with this whole ordeal. The car has 1665 miles on it and it is down for the second time. I told the service manager I do not want it back until it is completely repaired and sorted. Honestly I'm not sure I want it back at all. I never have had this happen with any vehicle I have owned. I know Chevrolet builds good cars my 92 Corvette has 115000 miles and doesn't miss a beat. Maybe I bought a lemon or some thing, but this has got to be handled right this time.
Just as a side note , i would have been really mad if the tow truck driver knew this all thing about the ZL1s , assuming that he does not have one , it will tell you that this guy has been very busy towing this cars = to NO BUENO
Old 10-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
or something draining the battery..

I also wouldn't get so wrapped up in those spacers. They were great for getting the large number of cars on and off the the train. Cars way lower that a ZL1 get towed all the time. Most tow drivers have ramps and stuff so spacers aren't needed.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #10
Stix1

Drives: 13' ZL1 CRT, 08' VW R32
Wow! Sorry to hear that! I thought I had it bad with my crooked steering wheel (that I'm still dealing with). Where is Chevy Customer Service on this?
Old 10-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
sierra 43

I don't think lack of driving is the problem, I had the car for 2 months. It has covered 1665 miles. And both failures occured after about 30 miles of driving where it ran fine.

I don't think I'll sell it, but it will be fixed. No more "we think we got it", even if it means jacking up the radiator and running another ZL1 under it.

Seriously, It is definetly an electrical issue. It will take more than just parts changing, it will take solving what is causing it.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
rzrbck_zl1

Drives: '13 ZL1 CRT #702; '05 Hemi Ram
Sorry to hear about the problems; will be interested to hear what they find. Good luck!
rzrbck_zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:

If you would like, I can set up a case with GM customer service to see if we can come to some sort of resolution. I will just need your first and last name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage, and involved dealership.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #14
sierra 43

Good news, the dealer found that the PCM was bad and has next day aired one in. The car will be ready tommorow. I still am concerned that the car has had 2 electrical failures in the past 20 days, but I am looking forward to getting it back, I think.

Brandon, again thank you for your offer, but the dealer has assured me this is the whole problem. If the car goes down again, especially with electrical problems, I will be seeking you to start a case.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #15
BaldCamaroStud
Camaro Owner & Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
I just got to reading this thread, and saw your symptoms.. and was going to suggest that was the issue.. I had a similar problem with my V6 at about 11k miles...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240642

Hopefully this will be it for you...
BaldCamaroStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #16
rch67chev

Drives: 2012 ZL1 CRT 6 Speed, RTQ, B92
The PCM was my problem a few months back..... No problems since....
Old 10-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #17
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
I can understand the lack of knowledge about the spring spacers. Lesson: Don't take it granted from sources who tell you that know they are doing. Usually that's a sign they don't. Make sure you articulate to them what should be done. And make sure you verify it by your presence. Sounds like an electronics bug, that will be fixed by remove and replace at some point, without diagnoses. I hope your repair is quick.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #18
tmandoug1
Deep Sea

Quote:

In the old days they would say your car was built on a Monday or a Friday for obvious reasons. Don' know if that still applies though,,,,sorry man.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #19
sierra 43

I picked the car up today with a new PCM and new keys to match. After driving it home it became apparent that the original PCM never functioned properly. This is like a different car, much stronger than before, everywhere.

So all is well for now.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #20
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
I picked the car up today with a new PCM and new keys to match. After driving it home it became apparent that the original PCM never functioned properly. This is like a different car, much stronger than before, everywhere.

So all is well for now.
Good to hear, have fun!