Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #2303
Damaged Paint on New ZL1

So yesterday I did one of those things that you realise was stupid the second it is too late ...and now I'm hoping somebody in here with a lot more knowledge on these types of things than me can help me out.

I took delivery of my Summit White ZL1 on the 11th November, and decided one of the first things I wanted to change was the Gold Bowties as I had done with my 2SS.

So, yesterday I removed the rear bowtie using dental floss which resulted in leftover adhesive that needed to be removed - in order to help with the removal of this I decided to use Goo Gone as I had done with no problems on my previous car, but that was my mistake

My once bright white paint has turned yellow around the new bowtie, and also slighly above the licence plate (where some of the Goo Gone dripped down).

I'm thinking that the car was too new to be using Goo Gone, and this has reacted with the clearcoat that was not cured or something like that.

The question now though is can it be repaired without a repaint?

I have already tried claying the area, and using Adams Swirl/Haze remover and revive polish (by hand) but that made no difference whatsoever.

I don't have an orbital or anything like that, but I haven't tried any of the OTC compounds that you can put on by hand yet either as I wanted to see if I was wasting my time at this stage.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Old 10-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
i mean how big is the spot. arent you putting the bow tie back over it? if so wont that cover it? from what your saying you made the spot bigger than the emblem
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
wow... umm a Camaro's car clear has definitely cured by the time it reaches you. I believe the camaro factory uses a process where the clear cures in 4-5 days max.

with that said, I don't think goo gone could do lasting damage. I'm really curious to see a picture of it though!

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkdreads View Post
i mean how big is the spot. arent you putting the bow tie back over it? if so wont that cover it? from what your saying you made the spot bigger than the emblem
Most of the damage is underneath the new bowtie, but the goo gone dripped down over the licence plate and has damaged there, and has also damaged around the edge of where the new bowtie is...I'm assuming it was the Goo Gone anyway as what else could it be?

I didnt use heat removing the bowtie or anything like that, literally just Dental Floss and then Goo Gone.

Here's a pic...excuse the fact the car is dirty as it was before I washed it yesterday....hopefully you can see where I mean...on the left side of the bowtie there is a yellow discoloration..

Old 10-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #5
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

That is very weird! Can you take the bowtie off again and try to polish it with something a little more aggressive than Adam's? Perhaps Turtle Rubbing Compound or even better, Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. MUC is only 8 dollars a bottle...

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
Old 10-23-2012, 12:43 AM   #6
DangerZL1

Drives: Accord
Don't use turtle wax rubbing compound. It's worse than sandpaper. You might try M105 by hand on the spot and see how it does. It's possible the GooGone did react with the paint and turn it yellow, but still surprising. Don't feel too bad. I left a permanent impression on the front edge of my ZL1's front bumper removing ab area where a rock cut into the finish. I've never had this happen to any previous cars.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #7
Sickness91Z28
Heisenberg

Drives: Blown 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'd take it to a body shop to see if they can hand rub it with some compound. 3M Perfect It Rubbing Compound works miracles
Regardless....Goo Gone shouldn't have done anything to the finish! Thats really weird....
Old 10-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

I bought some M105 today, so will give that a go by hand at the weekend and see how I get on.

Hopefully it will help, otherwise I'll have to take it to a bodyshop.

One thing is for sure, the Goo Gone is now in the trash!
Old 10-24-2012, 12:38 AM   #9
Unique Auto Depot

Drives: Camaro 2010
Wet sand and Buff before Painting !!! Once painted it is never like the factory
Unique Auto Depot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #10
Roll_the_Dice

Drives: 2012 Summit White Camaro 2LT
That same thing happened to me when I removed the "CAMARO" lettering on the front fenders. I tried claying and everything else I could do by hand, but to no avail. You can't work the area hard enough by hand. I took it to a detail shop and they let me use their PC 7424XP and some compound and it took a while, but I finally got it out. I went from least aggressive to aggressive compound and pad. each pass got better, so I kept going until it was as good as new again. It took me about 30-45 minutes for one side (thankfully the only side I screwed up).

Now, I would use the PC and Adams Severe Swirl and Haze remover. that should get it off and won't damage your paint.

The best part is the shop didn't charge me. He said I did all the work. They were cool and we just BS'd about cleaning cars and cars in general. I gave them some $ for the use of the machine anyway. I have since purchased a PC 7424XP and love it.

If you have any questions, PM me or ask here. I will help, since I was in the same boat and was freaking out.
2003 Audi A4 Convertible Silver Auto (sold)
1999 Ford F150 (sold)
2008 Porsche 911 Convertible Atlas Gray M6 (sold)
2007 Corvette Lemans Blue M6 (sold)
2004 BMW 645 ci Convertible Black Metallic (sold)
2000 Dodge Dakota sport Navy (sold)
1999 Porsche Boxster Black Metallic M5 (sold)
1999 Ferrari 360 Modena Titanium F1 (sold)
1992 BMW 325i 2 door Alpine white (sold)
1990 Nissan 240SX Burgundy M6 (sold)
1979 Celica Blue M5 (sold)
1974 Mustang II Ghia Green (sold)
Roll_the_Dice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #11
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique Auto Depot View Post
Wet sand and Buff before Painting !!! Once painted it is never like the factory
lol wtf

Old 10-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #12
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
I've heard of this happening with goo gone pretty much white only... maybe present on other colors as well, but its so faint that on anything other than white no one probably notices.

I'd suspect some polishing would rectify it, I doubt the damage is more than just a surface issue. Removing a little clear should clear it up.
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #13
jrisebo

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS "Bumble C"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern07 View Post
Most of the damage is underneath the new bowtie, but the goo gone dripped down over the licence plate and has damaged there, and has also damaged around the edge of where the new bowtie is...I'm assuming it was the Goo Gone anyway as what else could it be?

I didnt use heat removing the bowtie or anything like that, literally just Dental Floss and then Goo Gone.

Here's a pic...excuse the fact the car is dirty as it was before I washed it yesterday....hopefully you can see where I mean...on the left side of the bowtie there is a yellow discoloration..

Can you circle the areas your talking about? I dont see it?
Old 10-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: Roxanne (COTW 11/26/12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern07 View Post
So yesterday I did one of those things that you realise was stupid the second it is too late ...and now I'm hoping somebody in here with a lot more knowledge on these types of things than me can help me out.

I took delivery of my Summit White ZL1 on the 11th November, and decided one of the first things I wanted to change was the Gold Bowties as I had done with my 2SS.

So, yesterday I removed the rear bowtie using dental floss which resulted in leftover adhesive that needed to be removed - in order to help with the removal of this I decided to use Goo Gone as I had done with no problems on my previous car, but that was my mistake

My once bright white paint has turned yellow around the new bowtie, and also slighly above the licence plate (where some of the Goo Gone dripped down).

I'm thinking that the car was too new to be using Goo Gone, and this has reacted with the clearcoat that was not cured or something like that.

The question now though is can it be repaired without a repaint?

I have already tried claying the area, and using Adams Swirl/Haze remover and revive polish (by hand) but that made no difference whatsoever.

I don't have an orbital or anything like that, but I haven't tried any of the OTC compounds that you can put on by hand yet either as I wanted to see if I was wasting my time at this stage.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
LMAO! I did the exact same thing yesterday removing my camaro emblems. It left a nice yellow stain that would not rub off. I managed to get rid of it by carefully using rubbing compound. That yellowing IS imbedded into your clearcoat, and the only way to remove it is to lightly buff it down. It took a while, but I now know not to use any chemicals when removing 3M from my car lol.
soloknight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
2010SS2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
Sounds like an email to goo gone is in order about discoloring paint
2010SS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #16
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_the_Dice View Post
That same thing happened to me when I removed the "CAMARO" lettering on the front fenders. I tried claying and everything else I could do by hand, but to no avail. You can't work the area hard enough by hand. I took it to a detail shop and they let me use their PC 7424XP and some compound and it took a while, but I finally got it out. I went from least aggressive to aggressive compound and pad. each pass got better, so I kept going until it was as good as new again. It took me about 30-45 minutes for one side (thankfully the only side I screwed up).

Now, I would use the PC and Adams Severe Swirl and Haze remover. that should get it off and won't damage your paint.

The best part is the shop didn't charge me. He said I did all the work. They were cool and we just BS'd about cleaning cars and cars in general. I gave them some $ for the use of the machine anyway. I have since purchased a PC 7424XP and love it.

If you have any questions, PM me or ask here. I will help, since I was in the same boat and was freaking out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
I've heard of this happening with goo gone pretty much white only... maybe present on other colors as well, but its so faint that on anything other than white no one probably notices.

I'd suspect some polishing would rectify it, I doubt the damage is more than just a surface issue. Removing a little clear should clear it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
LMAO! I did the exact same thing yesterday removing my camaro emblems. It left a nice yellow stain that would not rub off. I managed to get rid of it by carefully using rubbing compound. That yellowing IS imbedded into your clearcoat, and the only way to remove it is to lightly buff it down. It took a while, but I now know not to use any chemicals when removing 3M from my car lol.
Thanks for all the advice - sort of happy to know I'm not the only one that has experienced this issue.

I'll work some more on it over the weekend and hopefully get it cleared up