Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HURST
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Crowhater

Drives: C6 Corvette
Well We knew it was to good to last

We got the new RPS tripple disc Street Slayer Clutch installed and my friend just finished the 500 mile break in on the clutch but there will be no runs at the strip any time soon. Today on the way back from lunch with less than 100Yard till his parking spot the engine started knocking. We knew she was never going to live at this power level and had already started making plans for a LSX with a 4 leter supercharger but we thought she would die at the track not in the parking lot. So today Brandon got to join the " wrecked an engine with less then 10k on the odo".

I told him to cheer up and not look at it as a loss because now the gloves come off and we can put a real monster in the car.
Crowhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
What kind of mods did he have?
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
With so many CTS-V owners in the 700s with no issues I'm scratching my head on this one.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
Crowhater

Heads, cam, pulleys, inner cooler, exhaust, injectors, meth injection, nitrous oxide spray bar, etc,etc,etc.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
All-American ZL1
Chevy Power

Drives: 13 ZL1 M6 #123, '98 Jeep Wrangler
could you post some pics when you disassemble it?
All-American ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowhater View Post
We got the new RPS tripple disc Street Slayer Clutch installed and my friend just finished the 500 mile break in on the clutch but there will be no runs at the strip any time soon. Today on the way back from lunch with less than 100Yard till his parking spot the engine started knocking. We knew she was never going to live at this power level and had already started making plans for a LSX with a 4 leter supercharger but we thought she would die at the track not in the parking lot. So today Brandon got to join the " wrecked an engine with less then 10k on the odo".

I told him to cheer up and not look at it as a loss because now the gloves come off and we can put a real monster in the car.
What kind of HP is he putting out? Something seems odd.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
With so many CTS-V owners in the 700s with no issues I'm scratching my head on this one.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
Crowhater

The car has made as high as 752 and as low as 728 RWHP and it has been otwo different dynes many times now. It has never sprayed nitrous through the inner cooler while on the dyno.

The car is going to the shop tomorrow morning and there will not be much to see because it is just rod knocking.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
MrDew

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #165
Werent you guys having problems with the tune? I remember reading some posts where you were seeking advise?
MrDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #9
Crowhater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDew View Post
Werent you guys having problems with the tune? I remember reading some posts where you were seeking advise?

The problems we had where with traction control and torque management, as far as air fuel ratio, timing, fuel trims, that was all great.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
LIVNLIF65

Drives: 2012 camaro ZL1
Quote:
The problems we had where with traction control and torque management, as far as air fuel ratio, timing, fuel trims, that was all great.
Just curious what problem were you having I to was having problems with the tc and stalibill trac the car had a 1.43 60ft and a 6.7 1/8 mile but the light came on and the car laided over from the 330
LIVNLIF65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
mlee
Charter Circle Member

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDew View Post
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...49#post5618549

Old 10-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #12
Crowhater

The car has been at LMR and Power Fab, it has been on both Dynos.

We had issues with all the different torque management systems pulling timing and controlling the throttle body blades. Before we got it all figured out the clutch burned up and we had to wait for a new clutch. We just got the new clutch last week and they wanted a 500 mile break in before we went back to the track.

Like I said before we new that we where pushing the factory internals and that they would not last long but we figured we would get enough time to at least get the new motor built.

For a new engine we are looking at the LSX but that new 502ci LS block is also pretty exciting. 502 LS-sleeved and stroked
Old 10-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #13
mlee
Charter Circle Member

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Strange that the rod started knocking during a 500 mile break in period where it wasn't being run hard.

I guess the silver lining is it will be bullet proof when you're done. Can't wait to follow this build.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #14
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
We had issues with all the different torque management systems pulling timing and controlling the throttle body blades. Before we got it all figured out the clutch burned up and we had to wait for a new clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Strange that the rod started knocking during a 500 mile break in period where it wasn't being run hard.
Sounds like a tune issue to me.......
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote