Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 10-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Crowhater

Drives: C6 Corvette
Well We knew it was to good to last

We got the new RPS tripple disc Street Slayer Clutch installed and my friend just finished the 500 mile break in on the clutch but there will be no runs at the strip any time soon. Today on the way back from lunch with less than 100Yard till his parking spot the engine started knocking. We knew she was never going to live at this power level and had already started making plans for a LSX with a 4 leter supercharger but we thought she would die at the track not in the parking lot. So today Brandon got to join the " wrecked an engine with less then 10k on the odo".

I told him to cheer up and not look at it as a loss because now the gloves come off and we can put a real monster in the car.
Crowhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
What kind of mods did he have?
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
With so many CTS-V owners in the 700s with no issues I'm scratching my head on this one.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
Crowhater

Heads, cam, pulleys, inner cooler, exhaust, injectors, meth injection, nitrous oxide spray bar, etc,etc,etc.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
All-American ZL1
Chevy Power

Drives: 13 ZL1 M6 #123, '98 Jeep Wrangler
could you post some pics when you disassemble it?
All-American ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowhater View Post
We got the new RPS tripple disc Street Slayer Clutch installed and my friend just finished the 500 mile break in on the clutch but there will be no runs at the strip any time soon. Today on the way back from lunch with less than 100Yard till his parking spot the engine started knocking. We knew she was never going to live at this power level and had already started making plans for a LSX with a 4 leter supercharger but we thought she would die at the track not in the parking lot. So today Brandon got to join the " wrecked an engine with less then 10k on the odo".

I told him to cheer up and not look at it as a loss because now the gloves come off and we can put a real monster in the car.
What kind of HP is he putting out? Something seems odd.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
With so many CTS-V owners in the 700s with no issues I'm scratching my head on this one.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
Crowhater

The car has made as high as 752 and as low as 728 RWHP and it has been otwo different dynes many times now. It has never sprayed nitrous through the inner cooler while on the dyno.

The car is going to the shop tomorrow morning and there will not be much to see because it is just rod knocking.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
MrDew

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #165
Werent you guys having problems with the tune? I remember reading some posts where you were seeking advise?
MrDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #9
Crowhater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDew View Post
Werent you guys having problems with the tune? I remember reading some posts where you were seeking advise?

The problems we had where with traction control and torque management, as far as air fuel ratio, timing, fuel trims, that was all great.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
LIVNLIF65

Drives: 2012 camaro ZL1
Quote:
The problems we had where with traction control and torque management, as far as air fuel ratio, timing, fuel trims, that was all great.
Just curious what problem were you having I to was having problems with the tc and stalibill trac the car had a 1.43 60ft and a 6.7 1/8 mile but the light came on and the car laided over from the 330
LIVNLIF65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDew View Post
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...49#post5618549

Old 10-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #12
Crowhater

The car has been at LMR and Power Fab, it has been on both Dynos.

We had issues with all the different torque management systems pulling timing and controlling the throttle body blades. Before we got it all figured out the clutch burned up and we had to wait for a new clutch. We just got the new clutch last week and they wanted a 500 mile break in before we went back to the track.

Like I said before we new that we where pushing the factory internals and that they would not last long but we figured we would get enough time to at least get the new motor built.

For a new engine we are looking at the LSX but that new 502ci LS block is also pretty exciting. 502 LS-sleeved and stroked
Old 10-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #13
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Strange that the rod started knocking during a 500 mile break in period where it wasn't being run hard.

I guess the silver lining is it will be bullet proof when you're done. Can't wait to follow this build.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #14
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
We had issues with all the different torque management systems pulling timing and controlling the throttle body blades. Before we got it all figured out the clutch burned up and we had to wait for a new clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Strange that the rod started knocking during a 500 mile break in period where it wasn't being run hard.
Sounds like a tune issue to me.......
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #15
Crowhater

Yes I would agree back in the day but I myself have been snake bit by the LS3. My C6 had 2000 miles on the odo when it let go. I had a cam, stall, exhaust, and tune so it was out of warranty. I ran it that Friday at the track with no issues and I scanned each run with HP tuner. The car was 100% perfect and the next day was my birthday. Several people asked to go for a ride and I got on it a couple times with zero issues. Later that day my cousin asked to drive the car so we took it out to the hwy and at about 55mph he asked if he could get on it a little, I said sure and when he hit the gas it sounded like I hit a sack of gravel. He almost put the car in the ditch because of all the oil under the tires. It sent a piston and rod out the side of the block above the starter, I have pictures of all the damage. The engine was a total loss and from that point on I don't trust the factory internals at all. Why on earth it let go is a total mystery to me, why didn't it blow at the track or when I stomped it? It even sent metal up through the intake and puked oil out of my cold air intake. You would expect to see this kind of damage from a high RPM failure not a 55mph roll into the power.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:01 AM   #16
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:

I know it's a huge shot in the dark but I wonder if the knocking is from a broken or loose flywheel??? They sound a lot alike and sometimes you can't tell until you drop the trans.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:20 AM   #17
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:

I had my timing chain snap after a cam install. I wonder if it was that? My first sign was a ticking, then the engine shut down on it's own. I had 4,200 miles on it. We replaced the chain (and a lot of other parts) with a Katech c5-R and an LS2 Dampener
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
TRANSITION FROM STOCK TO CAM VID
AFTER DETAIL PICS
Maxspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #18
Drew P

Drives: Camaro ZL1
It would be a huge favor to those of us that are still trying to max out the LSA if you would keep us updated on the specifics of what failed and why.
Drew P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:08 AM   #19
Crowhater

I was up almost all night stressing over this because everything just did not add up. The knock started less than 100 yard from his parking spot, I was right behind him in my truck so I know he was going maybe 30mph at best. Things he told me that did not make sense kept running through my head. He said all the dash lights started blinking, check engine light, the shifter started shaking and it did not matter if the clutch was in or out, also the oil pressure was still perfect. When we check the engine codes it just showed a mis-fire. At first the noise sounded like it was in the supercharger, so we removed the belt and started the car and sure enough it was down low and just coming up through the SC like a bass drum.

After being on this site past midnight and laying in bed, it hit me like a brick and I felt so stupid for not seeing it right away. We just had that whole new clutch assembly installed and I would bet money that either the flywheel bolts are lose or broke.

I mean a rod knock is not going to make the shifter shake in your hand while you are parked with the engine running.

They pick it up today and I will keep you guy posted. We are all going to Mexico tomorrow morning to fish El Salto for a week, so if I dont hear something today it will be Tuesday before I will be back on the site.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #20
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
That would suck if that was the problem, but better than a new engine. But - you already have that taken care of anyways

Good luck.
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:00 AM   #21
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Sooooo any news?
Old 10-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #22
Crowhater

We where all wrong! Two broke rocker studs, several cracked and a couple bent push rods
Old 10-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #23
jimmy5

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #450
I don't see rockers being broken and push rods being bent with light driving.
jimmy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #24
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
were the springs going into coil bind or something?
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #25
Crowhater

I have no clue, we just got back from fishing El Salto in Mexico sense Thursday so we have not seen the car. All the info i have is from emails that filtered in while we where fishing. The phone reception was like being on the dark side of the moon. Both heads where removed and sent to the machine shop so the broken studs could be removed.