Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, launch discussions.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
Medi0cr3
Untamed Performance EPT

Drives: 2011 2SS
Technique: How do I improve my 60' time??

I'm highly concerned with increasing my 60 foot time and I know track prep has a lot to do with it. I've used the search function and couldn't really find anything. I'm a guy addicted to the track and have about 80 passes. I have a good idea what I should do getting out of the hole and I have read everything rangeraccelleration published. However, I would like to inquire to everybody what they are doing to get this beast out of the hole... Oh btw, wtf stock tires @ 1.74 sec 60' ft!!! <--- how did that guy on the top 60'ft list do that lol.

I've only got 1 pass with these NT555R's which grab a hell of a lot more than the stock tires I DD on. Mods are in my sig. And TCI line lock from Ted is enroute....

Thanks in advance.
Hurst Short-Shifter; Ideal Garage Master Cylinder
H-E Street Slayer Twin Billet Clutch
BMR: Adjustable; Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Extreme Sway Bar. BMR Subframe Bushings.
Strange Rear Coilovers and mounts
Tuned by Rhino79

Last edited by Medi0cr3; 10-23-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Medi0cr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
Quick

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th
Let me see if I understand you correctly. You are pulling 1.74 60 ft times on street tires and you want to do better?

Something wicked this way cometh...
Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
Medi0cr3
Untamed Performance EPT

no, saw the top 60'ft list... i'll edit op
BMR: Adjustable; Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Extreme Sway Bar. BMR Subframe Bushings.
Tuned by Rhino79

Old 10-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Tires and suspension mods are the best way to improve your 60'
Old 10-23-2012, 11:26 PM   #5
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
You need to know what your car likes. The only way to do that is to make a ton of passes and try different things. My car leaves the best at idle or just off idle (1000 rpm). JRP's car likes to leave much much higher. If I leave any higher I'll blow the tires off, If his car leaves any lower it'll leave to much on the table. Trial and error. The conditions will play a huge role as well. Shitty track will need a different technique. Something to think about.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
Quick

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th
My best time on stock 275/40/20 pirelli's was a 1.92 @ 25psi. I bought a set of
315/35/20 Nitto nt-05r's mounted on 20x11.0 wheels and my best was a 1.93 60 ft. @ 15 psi. I honestly think I dont have enough converter to take advantage of the drag radials.I have been to a lot of races and have yet to see anyone pull a 1.70 on
street tires.

Something wicked this way cometh...
Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
Medi0cr3
Untamed Performance EPT

Clutch Gas combo release and press?
Tuned by Rhino79

Old 10-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #8
blufin

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM M6
Like supercharged said, it takes a lot of passes and some trial/error. You have to find what works best for you. It's taken me a couple years and tons of passes to get the hang of launching a M6 properly. I'm assuming your and M6 based on your mods.

When I first started drag racing, I tried to bring the RPM's up to a certain level and hold it, then release the clutch smoothly without spinning or bogging. This really didn't work for me because I was so focused on holding the rpm's steady and had a hard time finding the sweet spot using only the clutch. Now I launch the same way you would at a stoplight; a combination of clutch and throttle. I just do it a lot harder and quicker. I found this easier to find the sweet spot because you can modulate the throttle and clutch simultaneously based on how the car reacts. Think about it this way; do you look at the tach when you are leaving a stoplight? Sure you do when it's time to shift, but do you look at it when you first start to roll. Sometimes I get asked what rpm I'm launching at. I tell them I have no idea. I don't look at the tach at all. I launch by feel. This method has netted me a best of 1.87 bone stock on Pirelli's, and a 1.774 on stock Pirelli's with a supercharger.

Just keep at it and don't be afraid to try new techniques. Eventually you will find the sweet spot and have no problems clicking off 1.8's or 1.9 consistently.
blufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
sasquash1984
502 RWHP N/A

Drives: The yeti
I leave best off idle as well and I'm an auto with the best 60 of 1.89 on stock tires last week did a 1.98 60ft with with drag radials leaving off idle but a good prepped track helps a whole lot too
Old 10-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #10
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1951 Mercury
Stick and auto cars don't work the same way at the track, which is to say auto cars are super easy to drag race and stick cars are not.

My car is auto and bone stock I went a bunch of 1.95's, and honestly if someone gave me a bone stock L99 and some killer air I think I could run 12's with it (I went 13.15).

Stick cars... well. a few things to work on. You have enough power and torque with your parts to go a 1.7 but you'd have to find the launch rpm that works. A 2 step can really help this, does anyone make one for our cars? Bog it, launch higher. Keep raising rpm until it spins. Back it down a hair.

Some guys can get the car to leave, but then immediately bog because they are not quick enough into the gas. The car noses over and you hurt the ET, you transfer weight to the front, and you might spin. Our cars are pretty heavy, so I say theoretically our cars with bolt-ons might come out, and then bog a bit rather than spin.

Other issue. You have to figure out a routine to launch, and then keep the nose up on your gear changes. Adjustable drag shocks always helped big time with 4th gen cars. I hear that QA1 is working some shocks for us.

For MN6 cars it's all about controlling the launch rpm and weight transfer.

4th gen MN6 cars many times would run their front drag shocks at full stiff and the rears at 50/50 or even softer. When you get into real race car stuff like the double adjustable stuff we have on the 7 second car, you are adjusting rebound and compression. Once the car settles a little bit on the back, you don't want it to snap forward.

One old way we used to crutch the lack of drag shocks in the early 4th gens days, and even in the old Mustang days, is we would run softer springs in back. Like we'd run pre 1996 or 1998 V6 springs to get the car to squat on the tire.

Look, V6 in back, too much squat for an auto, one of my old cars circa 2001:

Left better on this hit:
12.37@112 1.85 | Headers, Cats | 555R DR | CAI | UDP | Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | +NT05R 18s | + Circle D 3200
11.84@113 1.59 | + 3.91s | +Race Star 17x7s
Mods: GPI Tune | Bo's PTB | Kooks LTs | Hooker Maxflows | Circle D 3200 | New Era OTR | RCR AirRam Manifold | Powerbond UDP | 3.91s
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
SRT10KLLR

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
It is a matter of practice, practice and practice plus power to weight ration is very important also.
SRT10KLLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
tnspd

Drives: Camaro ZL1 (BERT)
Keep at it you will get it. It is finding the right combination between how fast you let out on the clutch and how fast you push the gas and the tire psi. It is also different each time you go to the track. If you are going to the track on normal T&T days then chances are track prep is not all that good. The track needs to have heat in it to get good traction and normal street cars just wont heat it up enough. You should be able to cut 1.9x's most of the time though once you get the hang of it. Like it was said above if you start out and the car noses over then you were too quick on the clutch and late on the gas, if you spin then you are too fast on the gas. If it was easy everyone would be doing it. LOL
tnspd is offline   Reply With Quote