Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions All DIY projects & discussions

Old 11-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #26
AACstyle

Drives: www.CamaroLighting.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by overhaulengines View Post
ok guys, doing 2 installs tomorrow, but working on some other lighting today.
there is a hole in the firewall that has a rubber plug, look at the brake reservoir, just to the right of it, get your face low and next to the reservoir, look to the right of the reservoir, at the firewall, you will see a screw sticking out of the firewall, to the right of it is the rubber plug, push a long screwdriver through it and you should see it inside the car, might have to move carpet and padding to the top

sorry pics are rotated to the right:(, so the top of the pic is to the right

lupe
Lupe, our local customer keeps pushing back his appointment. If you could please get some photos/ put together a brief DIY that would be GREATLY appreaciated!
AACstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #27
gbmike

Drives: 3rd 5th Gen: 2014 1SS/1LE
Quote:
there is a hole in the firewall that has a rubber plug, look at the brake reservoir, just to the right of it, get your face low and next to the reservoir, look to the right of the reservoir, at the firewall, you will see a screw sticking out of the firewall, to the right of it is the rubber plug, push a long screwdriver through it and you should see it inside the car, might have to move carpet and padding to the top

lupe
Awesome, now that's all we're asking for, thanks so much, eagerly awaiting more pics (if that's your intention)!!
gbmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #28
gbmike

Quote:

lupe
oh and one more question, I realized we keep talking driver side, what about passenger, is there an equivalent?? Or what do we do for that side?

Thanks
Old 11-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #29
overhaulengines

Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmike View Post
oh and one more question, I realized we keep talking driver side, what about passenger, is there an equivalent?? Or what do we do for that side?

Thanks
Hi, from the passenger side, ( inside car) run the wires under the dash over to the driver side then out the firewall hole

lupe
overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #30
gbmike

Quote:
Hi, from the passenger side, ( inside car) run the wires under the dash over to the driver side then out the firewall hole

lupe
ah ok, wondered about that, and thanks again for the help (any more pics yet )
Old 11-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #31
overhaulengines

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmike View Post
ah ok, wondered about that, and thanks again for the help (any more pics yet )
doing 2 installs right now, i will try to get pics up later today

lupe
Old 11-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #32
overhaulengines

AAC Concept LED side mirror installation

see the video's
1. see post 1 for door panel removal, now i did not disconnect the tweeter nor did i remove the door panel completely off once i pulled it away from the door i just had my buddy hold it out of the way.

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-10-28 at 9.00.02 PM.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  33.4 KB

see first pic, you will see a wire attached to the wire harness, once you remove the oem mirror and disconnect the wire harness (oem) i tape a wire hanger to it so as i removed the oem mirrow and pulled the harness through the door the wire hanger went with it, now i taped the AAC wire harness to the wire hanger and pulled it through..

i added wire to the AAC wire, the AAC has a white wire (+) and black (-), i use a blue to the white and black to black. they are now less noticeable when going between the door and car.
Attached Images

Last edited by overhaulengines; 11-16-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #33
rjdapilmoto
DAP-ONE [COTW - 12/23/13]

Drives: 2010 - 2SS/RS IOM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wow! I see that Lupe has already posted pics and video of my vehicle with the new concept side-mirrors! Thank you, Lupe, my "Favorite Modder"...!!! LOL!!
rjdapilmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #34
gbmike

Quote:
see the video's
1. see post 1 for door panel removal, now i did not disconnect the tweeter nor did i remove the door panel completely off once i pulled it away from the door i just had my buddy hold it out of the way.

see first pic, you will see a wire attached to the wire harness, once you remove the oem mirror and disconnect the wire harness (oem) i tape a wire hanger to it so as i removed the oem mirrow and pulled the harness through the door the wire hanger went with it, now i taped the AAC wire harness to the wire hanger and pulled it through..

i added wire to the AAC wire, the AAC has a white wire (+) and black (-), i use a blue to the white and black to black. they are now less noticeable when going between the door and car.
Lupe, thank you so much, that is awesome, between yourself and Ofer I finally have all the info. If you were closer I'd buy you guys a beer !! Hope to get mine hooked up this weekend then.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #35
overhaulengines

AAC concept LED side mirror installation

another video,

lupe
Old 11-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #36
gbmike

got everything done, took about 9hrs in total, here are a few more pics ... it all helps right!
Oh so checked in at my loacal Chevy dealer and they suggested pushing the wires through the grommet where the +cable from the battery goes through the firewall - this was perfect
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2012, 03:33 AM   #37
Quickstir

Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro LS
Send a message via Skype™ to Quickstir
Okay so I hope someone can help out. I was able to get the lights running. Except, when i try the turn signals they just stay on. Btw I am using the DIC. I followed pretty much everything in the video Lupe posted. The only exception would be that I spliced into the BCM for power. Would that be the reason that the turn signal function doesn't work on the mirrors?
Quickstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #38
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstir View Post
Okay so I hope someone can help out. I was able to get the lights running. Except, when i try the turn signals they just stay on. Btw I am using the DIC. I followed pretty much everything in the video Lupe posted. The only exception would be that I spliced into the BCM for power. Would that be the reason that the turn signal function doesn't work on the mirrors?
Maybe. Do your normal turn signals still work? It *could* be that you don't have a tight enough of a tap. I know I've had that happen to me a few times.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #39
overhaulengines

Quote:
Hi, what did you tap into the BCM for? for the running lights correct?
if so did you run that wire to the orange wire on the DIC? the turn signals are tap directly into the turn signal in the engine bay correct? also the wire from the turn signal you have going to the red wire on the DIC, correct?
if you have any questions you can give me a call 210-414-7873

lupe
Old 11-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #40
OVERPAR73
2013 CRT ZL1 convertible

Drives: 2013 ZL1 vert
Lube,
Your a very busy man!!
OVERPAR73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #41
rjdapilmoto
DAP-ONE [COTW - 12/23/13]

Drives: 2010 - 2SS/RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERPAR73 View Post
Lube,
Your a very busy man!!
Yes, he is! One super, cool cat, if you haven't had a chance to meet him or talk to him on the phone. Dude is simply amazing when it comes to modifying the 5th Gen.

One thing though....he can't play basketball worth @#&@!!! ha ha!!!
rjdapilmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #42
overhaulengines

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdapilmoto View Post
Yes, he is! One super, cool cat, if you haven't had a chance to meet him or talk to him on the phone. Dude is simply amazing when it comes to modifying the 5th Gen.

One thing though....he can't play basketball worth @#&@!!! ha ha!!!
ha dont hate. Can't stop what u can't catch hahahaha. Ohhhhhhhh do u have a real job Rodney. Lol u sure have a lot of free time for camaro5 lol

Lupe
Old 11-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #43
The Stig

Quote:
if so did you run that wire to the orange wire on the DIC? the turn signals are tap directly into the turn signal in the engine bay correct? also the wire from the turn signal you have going to the red wire on the DIC, correct?

lupe
I figured that you could tap into the turn signal wires in the BCM instead of having to go to the actual turn signal.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #44
overhaulengines

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
I figured that you could tap into the turn signal wires in the BCM instead of having to go to the actual turn signal.
If that is so that would be great, I haven't taken the time to figure which one it's is(wire). I know the first post show u can get the running light but it show that we have to go directly to the turn signal.
I would think the wire bundle alon the door jam had the blinker wires going the the tail lights but again I would need to get a wiring diagram

Lupe
Old 11-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #45
Quickstir

Quote:
Maybe. Do your normal turn signals still work? It *could* be that you don't have a tight enough of a tap. I know I've had that happen to me a few times.
I tested both turn signals and they still work.

Quote:

lupe
Yes i ran the wire i tapped from the BCM to the orange wire on the DIC. The side that has the red and orange coming out of it. I tapped directly into the turn signals from the engine bay, and it is going to the red wire.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #46
The Stig

Quote:
If that is so that would be great, I haven't taken the time to figure which one it's is(wire). I know the first post show u can get the running light but it show that we have to go directly to the turn signal.
I would think the wire bundle alon the door jam had the blinker wires going the the tail lights but again I would need to get a wiring diagram

Lupe
Send me your email in a PM. I have PDFs of the entire BCM wiring
Old 11-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #47
overhaulengines

Quote:
I tested both turn signals and they still work.

Yes i ran the wire i tapped from the BCM to the orange wire on the DIC. The side that has the red and orange coming out of it. I tapped directly into the turn signals from the engine bay, and it is going to the red wire.
ok, i know its a pain but start troubleshooting.
1. take the wire from the BCM and disconnect it from the orange wire at the DIC, so all you have is the turn signal wire only to the red wire on the DIC.
2. where did you ground the black wire from the mirror? maybe move the ground wire or run a jumper to another location for testing purposes. you can give me a call if you like
210-414-7873

lupe
Old 11-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #48
Quickstir

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352859257.715530.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  175.8 KB
That's where I grounded it for driver side.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352859280.655355.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  154.3 KB
For passenger side.
Ok I'll test things out. It's pretty late so ill probably call tomorrow. Perhaps when you might not be too busy. Btw just in case i tapped the wrong wire in the turn signal. It's suppose to be the light blue wire with a white stripe correct?
Old 11-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #49
gbmike

Quote:
ok, i know its a pain but start troubleshooting.
1. take the wire from the BCM and disconnect it from the orange wire at the DIC, so all you have is the turn signal wire only to the red wire on the DIC.
2. where did you ground the black wire from the mirror? maybe move the ground wire or run a jumper to another location for testing purposes. you can give me a call if you like
210-414-7873

lupe
oh man, us amateurs , I'm having a similar issue... after I was done both mirrors came on as side markers (proof below...), but realized only the left was blinking with the turn indicator. Had to run out came home, checked again when I got back and the left isn't coming on at all now. Have to say I only did temp connections on Sunday, ran out of time, so just went now and at least tried more permanent connections (like pic below) for the left to get that working, still no luck....aaaaargh I hate electricity. Could it be the connectors? any you recommend? Maybe I'll see if someone I know has a ohmeter or something to check - I really dont want to spend a fortune at my garage (the owner of by the way has hooked me up with a drive in a ZL1 this week...sweet )
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2012, 12:56 AM   #50
tmac1granger33
NM HT5

Drives: COTW 3/5/12
Quote:
Send me your email in a PM. I have PDFs of the entire BCM wiring
so in essence, we dont have to run anything through the fire wall to the engine bay right?

You can get power from a wire(running light) in the BCM and both turn signals are in the BCM, So all i should have to do is T-tap into each of these wires and ground both of the grounds

It seems like this is getting more confusing then it needs to be... if all the wires are there in the BCM...

Doing the install tomorrow when i get my mirrors from UPS

hope someone could chime in here and maybe put the correct wires i need to T-tap into

Both white Power wires--- to the running light in the BCM
Black Wires --- Both Grounded
1 DIC---- one end (red) spliced into the power wire(running lights), other side (orange) T-tapped into the left turn signal in BCM
1 DIC---- one end (red) spliced into the power wire(running lights), other side (orange) T-tapped into the right turn signal in BCM

^^^This is the way I have it broken down in my head...seems like pretty simple 12v wiring... could be wrong though..
Status 22" Staggered painted wheels/Eibach 1" Pro Kit Lowering Springs/Heritage Grille/Razzi Ground Effects Kit/RK Sports 3 piece Spoiler/DT Shortie Headers/Injen CAI/MRT 1.0 /Resonator Delete/Oracle Dual Red-white halos/Knight Rider grill Light/Sparks RS emblem/LED Sidemarkers/Red interior lighting/Gm fuel door/Halo Foglights/Trifecta Tune/IGGEE Seat covers/ Sinister Hood,VMAX throttle body/VMAX Black Iceolator/Technostalgia LED Taillights/3dCarbon Fender Vents/AAC Concept mirrors/zl1 bumper/AAC Plasma's/Scosche kit

WL-BMR Strut Bar/Custom rear vents

Last edited by tmac1granger33; 11-14-2012 at 01:08 AM.
tmac1granger33 is offline   Reply With Quote