Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
KP Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #18
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9
 
PYROLYSIS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Summerv1LE SC
Posts: 5,148
I heard in another thread that the dual mode exhaust doesn't add any horsepower to the rear wheels. It was said that no aftermarket cat-back systems add power, they're strictly for sound if you don't add headers. Not sure how true that is.
__________________
BRING BACK THE B4C POLICE CAMARO!
2002 V-6 5 speed rally red (current camaro) Also driven:1992 Z-28 305 auto Red w/ black stripes (anniversary), 2001 V-6 auto light pewter metallic,1991 RS V-6 auto Black
PYROLYSIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #19
tramtwo


 
tramtwo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N'Awlinz
Posts: 6,306
Well all I know is that for me coming from a ss vert with gm's 21's and an extra 200+ pounds I am sure to be impressed!! Especially after I put on the headers and cai on and let Ted have a go at it.

Am willing to offer the car for science... anyone local want to do some before and after dyno testing?
__________________
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:22 AM   #20
axis
Search Ninja
 
axis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Ark
Posts: 7,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
GM didn't re-certify the HP/Tq ratings of the LS3 with 1LE options. They used the same SAE rated figures the LS3 has had in the Camaro M6 since 2010 MY.

The 1LE optioned LS3 with electric steering and dual mode exhaust should have more power than the standard SS variant.

But owners will have to prove it with dyno and performance testing on their own.
Unless the dual mode exhaust diverts before the cats, it won't make much if any difference. If anything, it will add more weight.
__________________
2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Halltech CF 102 fed
GPI modded intake manifold
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:46 AM   #21
Kent2010
 
Drives: Camaro SS
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
Fake torque = REar wheel torque that you see on a chasis dyno. I think a lot people consider theis real torque since this is the actual power getting to the ground. An engine can make all the power in the world but if you cant get it to the wheels efficiently it is worthless. The manufacturer engine ratings use flywheel ratings from an engine dyno.
So if I put some 4.56 gears in my stock SS, and go put it on a chassis dyno, that dyno will now show my car as making more torque than all other stock SS Camaros? And since the Horsepower number that the dyno gives me is actually mathematically derived from the torque curve, I now have more HP than stock too?
Kent2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:56 AM   #22
CrystalRedTintcoat


 
CrystalRedTintcoat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bay Area, online, & in my 1LE
Posts: 2,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
lets not forget about the electric steering and the NPP exhaust possibily providing an ACTUAL additional bump.
Not following why the steering helps?
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:49 AM   #23
newb

 
newb's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: DMV
Posts: 1,401
Usually the power steering is run by a hydraulic pump belt driven by the engine. By having to drive the ps pump it took Hp away from the total Hp available to drive the car. By going electric assisted ps, that is 1 less thing for parasitic loss. Essentially freeing up a few Hp to the flywheel, transmission and down the line to the wheels.


Sent from a rainbow while riding a unicorn
__________________
Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #24
Mgizzle

 
Mgizzle's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Unless the dual mode exhaust diverts before the cats, it won't make much if any difference. If anything, it will add more weight.
NPP is significantly lighter and reduces backpressure. It does make more power on the vette after the cats, but requires a different engine call I think. Anyhow, if u do any other mods and get a tune, the NPP will help you
__________________
I work for General Motors and am not an official spokes person for General Motors. My views and opinions are my own and not those of General Motors.
Mgizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #25
Mgizzle

 
Mgizzle's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post
Not following why the steering helps?
It doesnt use energy from the engine due to not having a mechanical pump. Hence, less load on motor, better fuel efficiency and maybe more power.
__________________
I work for General Motors and am not an official spokes person for General Motors. My views and opinions are my own and not those of General Motors.
Mgizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #26
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?
 
SUKXOST's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 3,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
It doesnt use energy from the engine due to not having a mechanical pump. Hence, less load on motor, better fuel efficiency and maybe more power.
What you said
__________________
My 1LE (645WHP/597WTQ) build/journal Thread:
1st ever 1LE COTW http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255461
SUKXOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #27
Firefighter


 
Firefighter's Avatar
 
Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tampa by way of Miami...
Posts: 4,097
I was curious why GM hadn't put up different HP/TQ numbers for the Dual Mode Performance Exhaust like they do on the Corvette.

That exhaust has my attention as an option because I figure it is at least as good as the average cat back aftermarket exhaust just add headers and your exhaust is done and it gives you the option of being civilized when you sneak home at 3am... wouldn't want to wake up the wife...
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #28
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?
 
SUKXOST's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 3,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
I was curious why GM hadn't put up different HP/TQ numbers for the Dual Mode Performance Exhaust like they do on the Corvette.

That exhaust has my attention as an option because I figure it is at least as good as the average cat back aftermarket exhaust just add headers and your exhaust is done and it gives you the option of being civilized when you sneak home at 3am... wouldn't want to wake up the wife...

Very likely to keep down insurance for buyers
__________________
My 1LE (645WHP/597WTQ) build/journal Thread:
1st ever 1LE COTW http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255461
SUKXOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #29
tramtwo


 
tramtwo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N'Awlinz
Posts: 6,306
I think the numbers should be moved for better marketing. But hell GM doesn't even have a 1LE Tee shirt out yet. The reality is that this car will not appeal to most Camaro owners and will probably be the least sold of all the configurations except maybe the zl1 vert. Maybe they'll let me print the tee's.

Slogans, we need slogans!!
__________________
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #30
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?
 
SUKXOST's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 3,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
I think the numbers should be moved for better marketing. But hell GM doesn't even have a 1LE Tee shirt out yet. The reality is that this car will not appeal to most Camaro owners and will probably be the least sold of all the configurations except maybe the zl1 vert. Maybe they'll let me print the tee's.

Slogans, we need slogans!!
The car doesnt even have 1LE emblems in any way and they didnt change any #'s.....quite sure it was for insurance purposes. 5-10 more HP will not justify more buyers that passed up a Gen5 for years.
__________________
My 1LE (645WHP/597WTQ) build/journal Thread:
1st ever 1LE COTW http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255461
SUKXOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #31
Firefighter


 
Firefighter's Avatar
 
Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tampa by way of Miami...
Posts: 4,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
The car doesnt even have 1LE emblems in any way and they didnt change any #'s.....quite sure it was for insurance purposes. 5-10 more HP will not justify more buyers that passed up a Gen5 for years.


IDK the 1LE package is what is getting me off the couch to buy one. The SS seemed great but too far from what I wanted in a pony car. The 1LE gets me there suspension wise all I plan to do is some Pedders springs and bushings and upgrade to ZL1 front brakes. Then a few motor mods. The standard SS would lead me to spend a ton on the suspension before I touched power mods. About $500 is all I need and the car will be where I want it.

Sent from my friggin Droid by two thumbs using Tapatalk 2 or whatever the ish it's called....
__________________
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #32
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?
 
SUKXOST's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 3,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
IDK the 1LE package is what is getting me off the couch to buy one. The SS seemed great but too far from what I wanted in a pony car. The 1LE gets me there suspension wise all I plan to do is some Pedders springs and bushings and upgrade to ZL1 front brakes. Then a few motor mods. The standard SS would lead me to spend a ton on the suspension before I touched power mods. About $500 is all I need and the car will be where I want it.

Sent from my friggin Droid by two thumbs using Tapatalk 2 or whatever the ish it's called....
Yes, the entire 1LE PACKAGE may have convinced you....but if it were identical to an SS and jsut advertised with 435HP vs 426....you'd still be looking. I'm staying on topic to what I said as the few extra HP not making the difference.

I ALSO am buying the 1LE for the whole package and not just the few ponies. GM is smart to NOT spend a crap load of money designing and making new emblems to add onto all the 1LEs and advertise more HP alone. It IS though worth advertising the whole car.
__________________
My 1LE (645WHP/597WTQ) build/journal Thread:
1st ever 1LE COTW http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255461
SUKXOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #33
toehead93


 
Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: wpb fl
Posts: 3,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent2010 View Post
So if I put some 4.56 gears in my stock SS, and go put it on a chassis dyno, that dyno will now show my car as making more torque than all other stock SS Camaros? And since the Horsepower number that the dyno gives me is actually mathematically derived from the torque curve, I now have more HP than stock too?
Yes and No, maybe. If 4th gear is a 1:1 ratio then you won't see the power on a dyno which is pulled in 4th gear, but gears 1, 2, & 3 will see gains. Gears also push the power band forward so peak torque shifts to a lower RPM. Check out this link:

http://thehorsepowerjunkies.com/vehi...swappin-gears/

Now even though the 1LE has 3.91 gears it won't make such a big difference because the trans is also geared differently.
__________________
Used Racing Brake 2 Peice Rotors for sale:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344754

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #34
strokerls1
 
Drives: 2013 1LE 1SS/RS with some options
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Flowery Branch, GA
Posts: 293
I know for a fact that the '13 SS with optional NPP is a good bit faster than a '10-'12. I had a '12 for a few days before I returned it to the dealer and ordered my '13. The car is night and day. I would bet the '13 with NPP and electric p/s is making 20-30hp more over any '10-'12.
strokerls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.