Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
kaler
 
kaler's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Dodge 3500 dually Mega Cab
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: discovery bay,ca
Posts: 667
VVT cams dominating LS3 conversion cams at the track...You be the judge.

As they say the track does not lie.

Here is a break down of the C5 fast list comparing (L99) VVT and (L99) LS3 conversion. Considering how few cars are using VVT cams makes it even more impressive in my opinion. I have kept close tabs on all the cars on here running VVT cams. I believe only 8 of them have been to the track and 5 of the top 7 are VVT cams.

Heads/Cam
1) VVT 11.174@121
2) VVT 11.283@121

Cam only
1) VVT 11.392@121
2) VVT 11.478@119

Top 10
1) VVT
2) VVT
3) Conv.
4) Conv.
5) VVT
6) VVT
7) VVT
8) Conv.
9) Conv.
10) Conv.
__________________
2010 SS a6 with TSP VVT-3 cam,PRC ported heads,Yank 3200,Kooks and CAI inc. = +121 RWHP 1/4 mile 12.1 E.T. On P-Zero Tires.
kaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 c7
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,443
I think most shops feel better about building and tuning LS3 style better to be honest. i don't think its a thing about what makes more power.
__________________
2010 camaro cammed- sold
2015 C7 Z51- current
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:53 PM   #3
axis
Search Ninja
 
axis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Ark
Posts: 7,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
I think most shops feel better about building and tuning LS3 style better to be honest. i don't think its a thing about what makes more power.
I'd bet it's not that they feel better about building and tuning LS3's, it's that they don't understand tuning VVT enough to get the most out of them. This is not ALL shops of course but i'm sure quite a few of them are like that.
__________________
2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Halltech CF 102 fed
GPI modded intake manifold
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:07 AM   #4
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 c7
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
I'd bet it's not that they feel better about building and tuning LS3's, it's that they don't understand tuning VVT enough to get the most out of them. This is not ALL shops of course but i'm sure quite a few of them are like that.
its either they don't want to learn or don't need to learn. for the last v8 GM sports car. what ever the case may be.

i have a LS3. but if i had the l99, it would be what ever my local shop wants to do, as far as camming.

and if they want to do a LS3 conversion. so what if the VVT makes overall little better power. i will now be faster than most camaros anyways with my cam. if that makes sense.
__________________
2010 camaro cammed- sold
2015 C7 Z51- current
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
axis
Search Ninja
 
axis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Ark
Posts: 7,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
its either they don't want to learn or don't need to learn. for the last v8 GM sports car. what ever the case may be.

i have a LS3. but if i had the l99, it would be what ever my local shop wants to do, as far as camming.

and if they want to do a LS3 conversion. so what if the VVT makes overall little better power. i will now be faster than most camaros anyways with my cam. if that makes sense.
Agreed, you'll make more power with either but when you're wanting to maximize your investment, why not go with the one that makes power where you want it. Many like max HP while others prefer the "under the curve" HP. We have the option to go either way which is always a good thing.
__________________
2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Halltech CF 102 fed
GPI modded intake manifold
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #6
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 c7
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Agreed, you'll make more power with either but when you're wanting to maximize your investment, why not go with the one that makes power where you want it. Many like max HP while others prefer the "under the curve" HP. We have the option to go either way which is always a good thing.
ya VVT seems proven. Isnt the new v8s doing something with that ?

if so the shops better get ready to work more with it. ya know.
__________________
2010 camaro cammed- sold
2015 C7 Z51- current
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:12 AM   #7
kaler
 
kaler's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Dodge 3500 dually Mega Cab
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: discovery bay,ca
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragonSS View Post

I was about to post up something similar.... This thread today got me intrigued and looking into VVT cams again...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257658

Why is it most shops always say don't go vvt unless u want to make real power???
Plain and simple they are familiar with the LS3 stuff and it work. But with real world results from VVT cams and the fact the new LT1 has VVT. I would bet we are about to see a huge increase of VVT R&D.
__________________
2010 SS a6 with TSP VVT-3 cam,PRC ported heads,Yank 3200,Kooks and CAI inc. = +121 RWHP 1/4 mile 12.1 E.T. On P-Zero Tires.
kaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:22 AM   #8
Rhino79



 
Rhino79's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cabot, AR
Posts: 2,528
My run was 1405 da. I will not touch the motor but will restall. The car has the power for 10.80 to 10.90.
__________________
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:52 AM   #9
white ZL1

 
Drives: none
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: DFW area
Posts: 1,846
The "tunability" of a VVT setup certainly seems like the best of both worlds. But I'd be willing to be that most shops prefer to stick with the LS3 swap just due to familiarity and past success.
I'm sure that all of the big name shops could spend a day or two on the dyno and figure out how to tune the VVT, so I don't think a lack of understanding how to tune them is an issue.

I'd love to see a graph of a combo like Rhino's layed over a graph of a similar combo'd Nite Fury or G6X3 done on the same dyno on the same day.
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #10
Inferno Orange 2SS-RS
US Army Retired
 
Inferno Orange 2SS-RS's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2SS-RS - A6 (L99)
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 657
When I cam, it will be VVT
__________________
SMKIN SS


Inferno Orange 2SS-RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #11
94guy

 
Drives: 99 Camaro; 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: louisiana
Posts: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaler View Post
As they say the track does not lie.

Here is a break down of the C5 fast list comparing (L99) VVT and (L99) LS3 conversion. Considering how few cars are using VVT cams makes it even more impressive in my opinion. I have kept close tabs on all the cars on here running VVT cams. I believe only 8 of them have been to the track and 5 of the top 7 are VVT cams.

Heads/Cam
1) VVT 11.174@121
2) VVT 11.283@121

Cam only
1) VVT 11.392@121
2) VVT 11.478@119

Top 10
1) VVT
2) VVT
3) Conv.
4) Conv.
5) VVT
6) VVT
7) VVT
8) Conv.
9) Conv.
10) Conv.
how do the cams compare size wise? VVT/LS3
94guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #12
StephenS_84
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 973
I've been told that most shops recommend the LS3 conversion because the lifters won't hold up... I'm no expert in this so let's discuss and hopefully I can learn something about this.. I'm close to adding a cam and if I can save some $ going vvt then I need to know more about that. Does having a S/C affect this vvt/LS3 conversion debate?
StephenS_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #13
Rhino79



 
Rhino79's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cabot, AR
Posts: 2,528
Ok. The afm lifters are weak. That has nothing to do with the vvt though. Once ls3 lifters are installed, you're set. My valve train consists of the mast ss cam, stock rockers, stock ls3 lifters, stock pushrods, comp beehives, and comps phaser limiter. Rev limit is at 7200, and I shift at 6900-7000. Durability has not been an issue and I drive my car daily. I drove it to the track too. I found 20 rwhp with just cam phaser changes on the dyno.
__________________
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #14
CyberBri
BRUCE WAYNES DD
 
CyberBri's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: wilmington NC
Posts: 511
ok i thought that a vvt cam was only if you did not want to tune out your afm? So once you have a tune isnt it pointless to still get a vvt cam????????
__________________
JBA 1 7/8 LT`s, High flow mids, and Cat back,Airaid intake, JRE Tune, & alot of flat black....

CyberBri is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.