Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Forced Induction - V6 V6 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #1
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6
 
Can't_C_Me's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1LT M6 TT/ NEW 2013 Malibu 1LT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Norcross, GA
Posts: 3,408
Camaro Turbo 4 banger?! Can it be?

Seen this today haven't seen it around the forum so let's discuss. And is this confirmed? If so where have I been at...Start video at 3:30

http://youtu.be/yEE2dKuuSYo
__________________
Can't_C_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
shibbs
 
shibbs's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2012 6-speed
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 654
Turbo 4-cylinder comment from the guys who just said that it's a 6th-Gen in the Tr4nsformer movie.

Credibility = in the toilet.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:01 PM   #3
Matt_RS
 
Matt_RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro RS v6
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Metro Detroit, MI.
Posts: 15
I will be pissed if this is real
__________________
2011 Camaro RS // MRT 2.0 Exhaust // 20% Tinted Windows // Blacked Out Emblems
Matt_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #4
DSX_Camaro

 
DSX_Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Summit White 2LT/RS
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 32765
Posts: 795
It will make the Camaro more affordable to others... plus bring up the "Camaro" overall gas mileage rating. It's only good for us. Especially since turbo I4s can be very powerful.
__________________
Mods: VMAX Ported Throttle Body, K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Solo High Flow Cats, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Caliper Conversion, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, Custom 2.5"/3" Hybrid Magnaflow Exhaust

Next: Wheels / Tires, or boost.

DSX_Camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:09 PM   #5
Matt_RS
 
Matt_RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro RS v6
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Metro Detroit, MI.
Posts: 15
I dont like the idea of seeing a muscle car go by and it sounds like an srt4. But i can agree with u DSX
__________________
2011 Camaro RS // MRT 2.0 Exhaust // 20% Tinted Windows // Blacked Out Emblems
Matt_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:26 PM   #6
The_Blur
Moderator, USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Pensacola
Posts: 14,138
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The guys who have V8s are going to buy V8s regardless of whether there's a 4-cylinder.

I don't see why people have a problem with this. Chevrolet isn't lowering its standards by doing this. If you expect your car brand to only sell high-performance vehicles, then you're going to have to find something in the 6 figure range. Chevrolet is an egalitarian car brand. Everyone is welcome to buy. By offering a 4-cylinder option, it gives more people exposure to the Camaro.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 9,079
Pretty much exactly what all the other reports have been saying for a long time now, and pretty much what we expect.

But overall, nothing new to see here.
__________________
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:21 PM   #8
shibbs
 
shibbs's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2012 6-speed
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 654
When they do a Turbo 8 THEN I'll be excited.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #9
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701
 
KaBoom1701's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2LT RS Camaro
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: I.E. SoCal
Posts: 2,101
Not surprised.

But in the end having more Camaro's on the road is a good thing.
__________________
Performance Upgrades: CAI Intake, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, RX Catch Can, MRT Axle-Back Exhaust Version 2.0 w/ Magnaflow X Pipe & custom J-Pipes, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, SS Brembo 1LE Brakes Upgrade w/ Hawk HPS Pads & Goodridge brake lines.
Exterior Upgrades: Ceramic Tint 30%, Axis Allies rims 20x9(front) 20x10(rear), Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar G:2 Tries 285 (front) x 305 (rear), ACS T-5 Front Splitter, Oracle Lighted Rear Bowtie, rk sport spoiler.
Audio Upgrades: Image Dynamics 10" Subwoofer w/custom leather box, Image Dynamics 5 Channel Amp, Audio Control LC 6, Morel 6.5" Coax Speakers
KaBoom1701 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:39 PM   #10
DSX_Camaro

 
DSX_Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Summit White 2LT/RS
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 32765
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_RS View Post
I dont like the idea of seeing a muscle car go by and it sounds like an srt4. But i can agree with u DSX
Trust me... You can make a turbo I4 sound very nice. It takes a lot of effort and a specific set up though.
__________________
Mods: VMAX Ported Throttle Body, K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Solo High Flow Cats, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Caliper Conversion, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, Custom 2.5"/3" Hybrid Magnaflow Exhaust

Next: Wheels / Tires, or boost.

DSX_Camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:12 AM   #11
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!
 
scrming's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 Second Brick
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: at my pulpit
Posts: 7,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Trust me... You can make a turbo I4 sound very nice. It takes a lot of effort and a specific set up though.
Agreed...

I had a Focus ST, which has the 2.0 I4 EcoBoost... I actually really like the way it sounded!!! I found it easier to get a good sound out of it than a V6...

Here is the dyno after a couple bolt-ons, but mainly from the tune...




Eventually though, i found I was never really going to like the FWD and went back to a RWD...

Of course these same discussions are happening in the Mustang world, as Ford is bring the I4 EcoBoost to the Mustang....
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:55 AM   #12
PoorMansCamaro
n00b
 
PoorMansCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: Really Slow
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 53,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Pretty much exactly what all the other reports have been saying for a long time now, and pretty much what we expect.

But overall, nothing new to see here.
actually, I had no idea the Turbo 4 was going to have 272hp/295tq. There were talks about it being the lower tier car, unlike the mustang turbo 4 being their mid level option, but I never heard any actual numbers.
__________________
PoorMansCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:56 AM   #13
DSX_Camaro

 
DSX_Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Summit White 2LT/RS
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 32765
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
actually, I had no idea the Turbo 4 was going to have 272hp/295tq. There were talks about it being the lower tier car, unlike the mustang turbo 4 being their mid level option, but I never heard any actual numbers.
Those numbers are straight out of the 2.0T of the ATS and Malibu.
__________________
Mods: VMAX Ported Throttle Body, K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Solo High Flow Cats, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Caliper Conversion, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, Custom 2.5"/3" Hybrid Magnaflow Exhaust

Next: Wheels / Tires, or boost.

DSX_Camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:19 AM   #14
PoorMansCamaro
n00b
 
PoorMansCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: Really Slow
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 53,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Those numbers are straight out of the 2.0T of the ATS and Malibu.
And cts, according to the guy in the video. Still didn't know that's what chevy was going to put in their Camaro, until now. I guess it was a good assumption, and this guy in the video is by no means the end all be all. But he seems pretty confident in his report.

I guess what i'm saying is, I've only seen people say there would be a Turbo 4, that would be below the v6 option. I didn't know the actual specs.
__________________
PoorMansCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #15
DSX_Camaro

 
DSX_Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Summit White 2LT/RS
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 32765
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
And cts, according to the guy in the video. Still didn't know that's what chevy was going to put in their Camaro, until now. I guess it was a good assumption, and this guy in the video is by no means the end all be all. But he seems pretty confident in his report.

I guess what i'm saying is, I've only seen people say there would be a Turbo 4, that would be below the v6 option. I didn't know the actual specs.
Gotcha. It's still a guess, mostly. I would expect them to use the 2.0T or make a new 2.5T for the Camaro. Then have the new V6 as the mid tier. SS will have the LT1. That new Mustang is gonna have some trouble...
__________________
Mods: VMAX Ported Throttle Body, K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Solo High Flow Cats, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Caliper Conversion, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, Custom 2.5"/3" Hybrid Magnaflow Exhaust

Next: Wheels / Tires, or boost.

DSX_Camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #16
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6
 
Can't_C_Me's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1LT M6 TT/ NEW 2013 Malibu 1LT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Norcross, GA
Posts: 3,408
I didn't know the turbo 4 was going to be a for sure option till now. Specs I would still put up in the air. But this guy's has been on point all the times I've seen him announce something. His supporting cast are ideas lol. I doubt that was the 6th Gen in T4. I can see ATS 2.0t working in a lighter Camaro.

And for those talking about nothing new go else were. Some of us don't live on the forums all day long. It's news to me and many others. So waste your post else where.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
__________________
Can't_C_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #17
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6
 
Can't_C_Me's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1LT M6 TT/ NEW 2013 Malibu 1LT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Norcross, GA
Posts: 3,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Gotcha. It's still a guess, mostly. I would expect them to use the 2.0T or make a new 2.5T for the Camaro. Then have the new V6 as the mid tier. SS will have the LT1. That new Mustang is gonna have some trouble...
+1, if I had the turbo option when I got the LLT I would be all over the 2.0t.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
__________________
Can't_C_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #18
GretchenGotGrowl


 
GretchenGotGrowl's Avatar
 
Drives: `12 LFX/`11 EB F-150/`13 Sonic RS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 5,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post
I didn't know the turbo 4 was going to be a for sure option till now. Specs I would still put up in the air. But this guy's has been on point all the times I've seen him announce something. His supporting cast are ideas lol. I doubt that was the 6th Gen in T4. I can see ATS 2.0t working in a lighter Camaro.

And for those talking about nothing new go else were. Some of us don't live on the forums all day long. It's news to me and many others. So waste your post else where.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Honestly, although likely it is still just speculation at this point. We really won't know the engine lineup for the 6th gen for a while.
__________________
EFR Twin Turbo LFX-GPI Tune-ZL1 fuel pump-10:1 CR forged pistons-3.45 gear-Meth Injection-BMR Trailing Arms, Bushings & Sway Bars-CircleD 4000 Stall-GPI Fuel Enrichment System
647 RWHP & 726 RWTQ @18.5 psi on 93 Octane (locked converter)
1/8 mile -- 7.158 @ 102.10 (20psi); old build
Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:19 PM   #19
Jason@JacFab
Mad Scientist

 
Jason@JacFab's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LT Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Point, OR
Posts: 3,419
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Agreed...

I had a Focus ST, which has the 2.0 I4 EcoBoost... I actually really like the way it sounded!!! I found it easier to get a good sound out of it than a V6...

Here is the dyno after a couple bolt-ons, but mainly from the tune...

Eventually though, i found I was never really going to like the FWD and went back to a RWD...

Of course these same discussions are happening in the Mustang world, as Ford is bring the I4 EcoBoost to the Mustang....
There's a Focus ST at my local track running high 13's with just a tune... I'm ok with a turbo 4 cyl being offered. I'd bet a modded, tuned turbo 4 with the boost turned up a little would walk away from a full bolt on NA v6 all day long. The 4 cyl guys will be telling the 6 cyl guys "Shoulda got a 4 cylinder"; not the other way around like some think it will be
__________________

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph SOLD!
2014 Camaro 1LT RRM; A6.JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket... More to come...
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #20
DSX_Camaro

 
DSX_Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Summit White 2LT/RS
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 32765
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
There's a Focus ST at my local track running high 13's with just a tune... I'm ok with a turbo 4 cyl being offered. I'd bet a modded, tuned turbo 4 with the boost turned up a little would walk away from a full bolt on NA v6 all day long. The 4 cyl guys will be telling the 6 cyl guys "Shoulda got a 4 cylinder"; not the other way around like some think it will be
That's exactly what will happen. One of my buddies wants to get an Ecoboost Mustang and he and I already planned out what he's going to do to the car... My car won't keep up unless I go boost lol.
__________________
Mods: VMAX Ported Throttle Body, K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Solo High Flow Cats, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Caliper Conversion, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, Custom 2.5"/3" Hybrid Magnaflow Exhaust

Next: Wheels / Tires, or boost.

DSX_Camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:48 AM   #21
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6
 
Can't_C_Me's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1LT M6 TT/ NEW 2013 Malibu 1LT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Norcross, GA
Posts: 3,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
That's exactly what will happen. One of my buddies wants to get an Ecoboost Mustang and he and I already planned out what he's going to do to the car... My car won't keep up unless I go boost lol.
I've owned a turbo 4 before and it was easy power with minimal effort. Add a larger intercooler, boost control, afr gauge, exhaust, down pipe, and tune. You should unleash about 100 f/rwhp easy with out turbo upgrade. Add in E85 or meth to the mix and that's a whole other ball game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
__________________
Can't_C_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:11 AM   #22
DSX_Camaro

 
DSX_Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Summit White 2LT/RS
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 32765
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post
I've owned a turbo 4 before and it was easy power with minimal effort. Add a larger intercooler, boost control, afr gauge, exhaust, down pipe, and tune. You should unleash about 100 f/rwhp easy with out turbo upgrade. Add in E85 or meth to the mix and that's a whole other ball game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Exactly! He also wants to add in a second larger turbo behind the twin scroll eventually... just because.
__________________
Mods: VMAX Ported Throttle Body, K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Solo High Flow Cats, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Caliper Conversion, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, Custom 2.5"/3" Hybrid Magnaflow Exhaust

Next: Wheels / Tires, or boost.

DSX_Camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #23
PoorMansCamaro
n00b
 
PoorMansCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: Really Slow
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 53,206
Always been a fan of the WRX STi. Was thinking about picking up a new one for a daily driver. runs 13.1 stock. downpipe and tune, and 12's will be easy. turbo 4, 305hp/290tq in a 3300lb car...
__________________
PoorMansCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #24
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6
 
Can't_C_Me's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1LT M6 TT/ NEW 2013 Malibu 1LT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Norcross, GA
Posts: 3,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Always been a fan of the WRX STi. Was thinking about picking up a new one for a daily driver. runs 13.1 stock. downpipe and tune, and 12's will be easy. turbo 4, 305hp/290tq in a 3300lb car...
I'll take a turbo 4 Camaro before a V6 Camaro any day. The potential is so high and the engine internals are already built to handle boost to a certain extent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
__________________
Can't_C_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #25
Jason@JacFab
Mad Scientist

 
Jason@JacFab's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LT Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Point, OR
Posts: 3,419
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Always been a fan of the WRX STi. Was thinking about picking up a new one for a daily driver. runs 13.1 stock. downpipe and tune, and 12's will be easy. turbo 4, 305hp/290tq in a 3300lb car...
I traded in an 07 WRX STi on my first Camaro... It was a lot of fun... For a while.

It looks like people are thinking the EB 4 cyl Mustang is going to run mid 13's right out of the box... If so, it should be a piece of cake to get it into the 12s.
__________________

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph SOLD!
2014 Camaro 1LT RRM; A6.JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket... More to come...
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.