Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
Nailn it
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Ashen Gray / Manual
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wilmington NC
Posts: 208
Traction??

705 rwp + Goodyear F1 + cooler weather = absolutely no traction. Need better cool weather tires! I'm in NC so it doesn't get super cold. Any suggestions. Gave it 3/4 throttle in 3rd and the a** end came around. Scared the SH** out of me !
Nailn it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Joey8
 
Drives: 2008 Trailblazer SS
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New jersey
Posts: 42
i would also like to know what cold weather tires you guys plan on running im in jersey so it gets pretty cold.
Joey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
tmandoug1
Deep Sea
 
tmandoug1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, Fl.
Posts: 969
Lol, I am in south fl, and I am breaking the tires all the through the gears and it is only in the 50's, damn thrilling I tell ya.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
oldfriend


 
oldfriend's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS BLK IO interior
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 32*38' 49N. 16*55'42W
Posts: 6,727
You gave 3/4 , it's like 4k plus RPM , are you kidding , what in the hell were expecting to happen with that many horses ready to jump the line ?
__________________
2010 BLK 2SS RS IO
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
Bcruse84
 
Bcruse84's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 red ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Danville IN
Posts: 21
Just got continental extreme contacts. They grip better than stock. I went 295/35/20 and 315/35/30. They are very grippy in this cooler weather

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Bcruse84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
SlingShot


 
SlingShot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seminole, Fl.
Posts: 6,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmandoug1 View Post
Lol, I am in south fl, and I am breaking the tires all the through the gears and it is only in the 50's, damn thrilling I tell ya.

It's been great the past few days. It's unreal how much different these cars run in cool weather. Damn thrilling !!!
__________________
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
Nailn it
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Ashen Gray / Manual
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wilmington NC
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
You gave 3/4 , it's like 4k plus RPM , are you kidding , what in the hell were expecting to happen with that many horses ready to jump the line ?
That's what I was kind of expecting but usually traction control helps a little. Forgot to mention I was doing 50mph when I hit it might have been more like 7/8 throttle. Scary when she goes sideways at that speed!
Nailn it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #8
ZL12013
 
ZL12013's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 & 2005 F150
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Saint Louis Mo
Posts: 128
I been driving tame to start, until the tires get warm, you can actually feel them with your hand they will be a little sticky with the temperature in the low 40's. I keep the car in mode 3 and enjoy the ride, when it gets in the 30's or below I don't think it will be very drivable, but on a clear sunny day I am still going to give it a try, I bought a tire and wheel warranty that covers anything.
ZL12013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:34 AM   #9
Nailn it
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Ashen Gray / Manual
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wilmington NC
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcruse84 View Post
Just got continental extreme contacts. They grip better than stock. I went 295/35/20 and 315/35/30. They are very grippy in this cooler weather

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
How do they look?? Got a pic?

Last edited by Nailn it; 10-30-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Nailn it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:28 AM   #10
Stephen12ZL1

 
Stephen12ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mechanicsville VA
Posts: 1,664
550rwhp and it is like driving on ice in 1st and 2nd gear
__________________
#917 A6. 10.67@126.2 1.53 60' ATI/Lingenfelter balancer (10" ring), stock upper pulley, 90mm TB, ID850s,Rotofab/Lingenfelter intercooler reservoir, Cooler Logic HX, Lingenfelter idler relocation bracket, NGK TR7ix, 160 t-stat, Dewitts Radiator, Texas Speed 1 7/8" headers(no cats). M&H drag radials 325/45-17 & M&H 28x4.5" bias skinnies. Tuning by Frost at Performance Autosport in Richmond, VA (804) 358-2505
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #11
crangie
 
crangie's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro ZL1 #641
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Detroit, Mi
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailn it View Post
How do they look?? Got a pic?
check this thread. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255944
i put pictures on of the Continental Extreme Contact DWS which I use for cold weather driving.
crangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #12
Meltdownaverted
I sell Camaro's
 
Meltdownaverted's Avatar
 
Drives: traded 11 2SS RS SGM for 13 SS 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Brooks Alberta Canada
Posts: 1,282
you spend how much on a ZL1 plus mods and you figure stock tires are ok in the cold, hope you don't have to make any quick stops. Below 45F these have NO traction NONE

link to the GM recommended tires

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ght=cold+tires

but get rid of your stock tire ASAP before you wrap your beautiful ride around a pole
__________________

Last edited by Meltdownaverted; 10-30-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Meltdownaverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
Nailn it
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Ashen Gray / Manual
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wilmington NC
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltdownaverted View Post
you spend how much on a ZL1 plus mods and you figure stock tires are ok in the cold, hope you don't have to make any quick stops. Below 45F these have NO traction NONE

link to the GM recommended tires

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ght=cold+tires

but get rid of your stock tire ASAP before you wrap your beautiful ride around a pole
You are right, I just figured for that kind of money we would get a decent tire. I know that GM recommends them down to 40°, I wouldn't take them under 60°. These tires are extremely dangerous under those temps. Unfortunately, I have a bad feeling there will be some serious accidents over these tires. I think GM should have expressed this stronger than they did. Thanks for the link, I will definitely check it out. These tires are definitely not for cold weather. It was slick as ice, and it was only 55°. Be careful people.
Nailn it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #14
Nailn it
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Ashen Gray / Manual
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wilmington NC
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by crangie View Post
check this thread. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255944
i put pictures on of the Continental Extreme Contact DWS which I use for cold weather driving.
Thanks for the pic. Not bad looking.
Nailn it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #15
Meltdownaverted
I sell Camaro's
 
Meltdownaverted's Avatar
 
Drives: traded 11 2SS RS SGM for 13 SS 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Brooks Alberta Canada
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailn it View Post
You are right, I just figured for that kind of money we would get a decent tire. I know that GM recommends them down to 40°, I wouldn't take them under 60°. These tires are extremely dangerous under those temps. Unfortunately, I have a bad feeling there will be some serious accidents over these tires. I think GM should have expressed this stronger than they did. Thanks for the link, I will definitely check it out. These tires are definitely not for cold weather. It was slick as ice, and it was only 55°. Be careful people.
you are getting a decent tire!!!! Its great for the track!! Many more would be upset at it not being good there than in cooler weather. I do believe this was always expressed as a track tire, and I know its stated in the owners manual as well that you will do damage to the tire below 40
__________________
Meltdownaverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #16
Nailn it
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Ashen Gray / Manual
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wilmington NC
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltdownaverted View Post
you are getting a decent tire!!!! Its great for the track!! Many more would be upset at it not being good there than in cooler weather. I do believe this was always expressed as a track tire, and I know its stated in the owners manual as well that you will do damage to the tire below 40
Oh, I know they're good tires. Just disappointed they won't stick below 60 degrees. I was super happy when it was 90 degrees. Just didn't want to invest in two sets of rims and tires.( other than slicks ) going to have to, or I'll get killed. Don't want to keep putting tires on and off same set of rims. They should state that below 60 will do damage to your car!! I love a good track tire too, but safety comes first, hands down, be careful. Always nice to be able to safely drive down the street.

Last edited by Nailn it; 10-30-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Nailn it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #17
72MachOne99GT

 
72MachOne99GT's Avatar
 
Drives: 1972 Mach 1, 1999 GT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 784
lol

Yea....700 hp + ANY street tire in cool weather is going to be ugly.

Option 1- drive responsibly
Option 2- get drag radials
Option 3- make your car an organ donor

Best of luck!
__________________
2013 GT500- Grabber Blue/stripe delete, Base, Recaros,
1999 GT- Atlantic Blue, gears, exhaust, tires 13.6@100
1972 Mach 1- Med Lime Green Metallic, 351-4V, auto,
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #18
Nailn it
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Ashen Gray / Manual
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wilmington NC
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
lol

Yea....700 hp + ANY street tire in cool weather is going to be ugly.

Option 1- drive responsibly
Option 2- get drag radials
Option 3- make your car an organ donor

Best of luck!
Option 1 until spring
Nailn it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:57 PM   #19
Bcruse84
 
Bcruse84's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 red ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Danville IN
Posts: 21
The extreme contact tires are also very good in the rain. My factory tires will never go back on. For the price of replacing them I can find a better summer tire and an extra set of wheels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Bcruse84 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.