Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Old 12-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #76
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY1STCAMAR0 View Post
The Z/28 will respark the Camaro. That's their big gun, makes no sense to bring it out as a 5th Gen. It'll get released....
What???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The 5th Gen literally resparked the Camaro so it makes no sense not the bring it back in the 5th Gen. What better way to send off the revival of the Camaro than with reviving the most iconic Camaro ever?
Yes!
2cnd chance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #77
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
It makes plenty of sense NOT to bring it to a 5th gen. Mustang is already making noise with its redesigning of the Mustang. Camaro is going to need the same thing with its 6th Gen, and with the Z/28 possibly making a production why not?

Rushing every known edition that was made for the Camaro to debut as a 5th Gen is asking for suicide. GM is doing the right thing.

"If you build it, they will come....."
This is exactly the opposite of what makes a smart marketing strategy. Why do you think Ford threw everything at the Mustang at the end of its Generations life? That's how you make an exiting design stay relevant. Also a new Gen is its own thunder.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #78
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
This is exactly the opposite of what makes a smart marketing strategy. Why do you think Ford threw everything at the Mustang at the end of its Generations life? That's how you make an exiting design stay relevant. Also a new Gen is its own thunder.
Yep. And would also like to know what Mustang fans think of the next Mustang going european cause if it does, I think it would be a huge mistake no matter how much it is improved. I can say that I don't hate how the Mustang looks now but I couldn't say that if they go in the direction of the renderings that have been shown.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #79
Bhobbs

Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
The general consensus here is that a purpose built engine for a low production number model would be too expensive. With the way GM operates I agree, but it sounds like making excuses when the competition pulls it off. I would never buy a Mustang in a million years but Ford seems to offer more choices to the customer without making excuses. More colors, forged internals, V-6 performance packages just to name a few.
I understand that but it seems more of a cop out than an answer.

Ford removed the rear seat on the BOSS LS. GM can't do it because its too expensive.
Ford changes their engines a lot. GM doesn't because it's too expensive to change an engine like that.
Ford has plenty of paint colors including a bright blue. GM doesn't because bright blues don't sell and it's too expensive to have a lot of colors.

Quote:
It makes plenty of sense NOT to bring it to a 5th gen. Mustang is already making noise with its redesigning of the Mustang. Camaro is going to need the same thing with its 6th Gen, and with the Z/28 possibly making a production why not?

Rushing every known edition that was made for the Camaro to debut as a 5th Gen is asking for suicide. GM is doing the right thing.

There is a lot of talk about the next gen Mustang because its the next Mustang, not because there are any new performance models coming out. The Camaro will get the same response. The next Mustang is coming out before the next Camaro so the Camaro needs to have something to combat the new Mustang release. That being a Z/28.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #80
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

GM spends its money on its flagship the Corvette. As Ford does on its flagship the Mustang. The Camaro has for years been only another car in GM's fold, however they have learned some from the past. They have upped the Camaro's ranking. Know that it will never be considered as important to GM as the Mustang is to Ford. The Corvette is their king, but the Camaro does receive much more of the trickle down effect.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #81
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
The Corvette is another excuse to me. I can understand them taking a careful approach when the fifth gen was first released because they weren't sure how it would sell and were going through financial problems but it seems times have changed. The Camaro has more than payed for itself. I don't want to sound ungrateful because they really have offered alot with the new Camaro and I believe it's an all around better vehicle. I just wish some more options were available and they will tell you everything under the sun except for the fact that they don't want to cut into profits. I've heard the flex plant excuse too in reguards to color and other options. Ford had financial problems too and has still managed to offer everything that they do.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #82
Bhobbs

Quote:
GM spends its money on its flagship the Corvette. As Ford does on its flagship the Mustang. The Camaro has for years been only another car in GM's fold, however they have learned some from the past. They have upped the Camaro's ranking. Know that it will never be considered as important to GM as the Mustang is to Ford. The Corvette is their king, but the Camaro does receive much more of the trickle down effect.
I'm not saying that GM should develop the Camaro until runs with the Corvette but they also have to spend enough to keep the Camaro comparative in the market. But, honestly, how much would it take to work over the LS3 for a Z/28 like Ford does with the 302? Obviously it's too expensive, right?

There's a reason the Camaro died but the Mustang didn't.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #83
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
GM cut the camaro because it was not sustaining profit from it obviously. But GM is not out of financial problems either. They're trying to become more competitive with new models but it seems they're making a ton of models all over the world and it could hurt them. Making too many models can harm them as well.
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #84
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
GM cut the camaro because it was not sustaining profit from it obviously. But GM is not out of financial problems either. They're trying to become more competitive with new models but it seems they're making a ton of models all over the world and it could hurt them. Making too many models can harm them as well.
But why didn't it make a profit? Not enough updates to keep it fresh and interesting? The LS1 Camaro is a fun car (I drive one) but imagine what it would have been if they dropped in the LS6 for the Z/28. Kept the LS1 as the SS.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #85
LWM

Drives: #54 ZL 550 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS,GIF
Too many models, too many editions/mod options ...GM will ultimately be hurt ...agreed!
LWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #86
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWM View Post
Too many models, too many editions/mod options ...GM will ultimately be hurt ...agreed!
Different packages on the same car does not hurt instead it helps market the car. However making too many cars that compete with one another does. Hence the reason their is no Firebird. (Sad to say)
Old 12-03-2012, 03:24 AM   #87
Bhobbs

Quote:
Different packages on the same car does not hurt instead it helps market the car. However making too many cars that compete with one another does. Hence the reason their is no Firebird. (Sad to say)
This. Having different models/editions that will attract more buyers is a good thing (as long as they sell). It helps spread out costs.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:02 AM   #88
motorhead
bars suck

Drives: yummy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Then I guess you don't have a problem buying a 1LE or ZL-1. Many here WANT the Z-28 and WANT it to be an extremely iconic car as the ZL-1 is and if made cheaper it just may be THE camaro to have as it was back in the day. If they make this car, it'll be Chevrolet's most popular car beneath the ZL-1 that not only makes them proud to offer, but something the ppl are chomping at the bit to own!
You don't need to Change the name to make a car perform a certain way. Like I said, it's
the car that makes the name Not the other way around. If they would have first brought the z/28 name out as an apperence package for a V6 nobody would even care about it today. That was my point.
motorhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:48 AM   #89
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
You don't need to Change the name to make a car perform a certain way. Like I said, it's
the car that makes the name Not the other way around. If they would have first brought the z/28 name out as an apperence package for a V6 nobody would even care about it today. That was my point.
You're right! But in the same respect, you have a 1LE that's "supposed" to be chevy's track car and I can tell you. Not many are impressed with this car having "just a suspension upgrade" rather than added horsepower as well. And if that's Chevys Z-28 because they're not reviving it, no one is tearing up the streets to go buy one. And if they made it a z-28, no one would be anymore impressed.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #90
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
Yes, but the car already made the name 45 years ago. So in this regard what you're saying is moot.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #91
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Quote:

I believe this couldn't be any further from the truth in marketing..With the new mustang looming, you still have to sell Camaros and with the general public always wanting something new and fresh how are you going to sell the Camaro 5th gen for 2-3 more years?? They HAVE to build the Z/28 or our cars will be a distant memory. There aren't enough GM loyalists or Camaro Enthusiasts to keep the sales high enough. They are gonna have to "steal" sales from other manufacturers to keep it alive. Plus by the time '14 or '15 rolls around, people will be waiting for the 6th gen to arrive and that will hurt sales just like the Mustang suffered before its current refresh. The key with sales is you have to get people interested enough to want to get to the car lot, then by whatever means they decide on whatever car even it ends up being a Chevrolet Cruze or a V6 Camaro. A 5th gen Z/28 will definitely get people off the couch for a look see!!
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #92
Bhobbs

Quote:
But the Z/28 wasn't a V6 package. The name means something and that is part of the desire to see it return. The name is almost legendary so the car has to live up to it.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #93
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
I believe this couldn't be any further from the truth in marketing..With the new mustang looming, you still have to sell Camaros and with the general public always wanting something new and fresh how are you going to sell the Camaro 5th gen for 2-3 more years?? They HAVE to build the Z/28 or our cars will be a distant memory. There aren't enough GM loyalists or Camaro Enthusiasts to keep the sales high enough. They are gonna have to "steal" sales from other manufacturers to keep it alive. Plus by the time '14 or '15 rolls around, people will be waiting for the 6th gen to arrive and that will hurt sales just like the Mustang suffered before its current refresh. The key with sales is you have to get people interested enough to want to get to the car lot, then by whatever means they decide on whatever car even it ends up being a Chevrolet Cruze or a V6 Camaro. A 5th gen Z/28 will definitely get people off the couch for a look see!!
You are absolutely correct!
Old 12-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #94
htron50

Drives: 2012 ZL1
5th GEN Z/28 almost here........ hold your breath.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #95
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
5th GEN Z/28 almost here........ hold your breath.
Based on what?
Old 12-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #96
motorhead
bars suck

Quote:
Yes, but the car already made the name 45 years ago. So in this regard what you're saying is moot.
Yeah and the name didn't help the 3 gens perform. they were lousy because most cars in that time frame where. The name didn't improve that. The thing is what you guys are looking for can't be had in the current car. I loved the early Z/28's too that is why I don't believe the current car can live up to that name.

There are people that would say that the current ZL1 doesn't live up to the legendary ZL1 of the 60's. I beg to differ. I think it's far better. These are different times and the cars are vastly different. I believe the current cars are as good as they can be for the price they sell for. I just can't see how a name will make any difference here.

Let me ask you this. If they built the car exactly the way you wanted it to be and offered it at a decent price range but called it Berlinetta, would you still be upset. I know I wouldn't if it was built and performed to what I expected.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #97
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
Yeah and the name didn't help the 3 gens perform. they were lousy because most cars in that time frame where. The name didn't improve that. The thing is what you guys are looking for can't be had in the current car. I loved the early Z/28's too that is why I don't believe the current car can live up to that name.

There are people that would say that the current ZL1 doesn't live up to the legendary ZL1 of the 60's. I beg to differ. I think it's far better. These are different times and the cars are vastly different. I believe the current cars are as good as they can be for the price they sell for. I just can't see how a name will make any difference here.

Let me ask you this. If they built the car exactly the way you wanted it to be and offered it at a decent price range but called it Berlinetta, would you still be upset. I know I wouldn't if it was built and performed to what I expected.
Dude! I want the car. I don't know why your not hearing me. I want what a Z28 is. Not the trash that was called Z28 for years.

I like apples. My opinion of an apple is a nicely ripe and juicy apple not a rotten one...get it?

Oh and they CAN build a great 5Gen Z28. The 1LE is knocking on the door already. And to answer your question if the 1LE had ALL the right ingredients yes I would have been very happy with my 1LE.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #98
motorhead
bars suck

Quote:
Dude! I want the car. I don't know why your not hearing me. I want what a Z28 is. Not the trash that was called Z28 for years.

I like apples. My opinion of an apple is a nicely ripe and juicy apple not a rotten one...get it?

Oh and they CAN build a great 5Gen Z28. The 1LE is knocking on the door already. And to answer your question if the 1LE had ALL the right ingredients yes I would have been very happy with my 1LE.
What would have to change in your eyes to make the 1LE it?
Old 12-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #99
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

The recipe was debated for many many months in these threads.

1LE+LS7+6 Pot Front Brakes+Aero Kit

Off the shelf parts.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #100
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:

If, if, if, man you are full of ifs! If a bullfrog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass on the rocks. The whole point of this thread (which you have obviously missed) is that there is a large number of people waiting for GM to release a Z/28 that meets or exceeds that group of people's expectations and is decently priced. Were that to happen, I think Z/28s would move out of dealerships for a while as fast as they could get them shipped in. A 5th gen version would do so, a 6th gen version would do so, do both a 5th and 6th and I think you'd see fairly large Z/28 sales for quite a while. I don't think there is any question of whether or not GM/Chevy will build a new Z/28, I think the only question is when.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote