Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vector Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission Tune and diagnostics for engines and auto transmission.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
floutier84

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
email tune + datalog/dyno

So I'm having a guy tune my car, sending me the tune for my headers/intake over email, standard for the Diablo Intune.
However, to get a good tune I will need to datalog AND be able to give AFRs etc. I do not have a wideband so I was thinking about doing this.
- Upload the new tune and head to a dyno.
- Do a pull on the dyno and data log/get AFRs and send to the guy tuning my car. (He is a friend and can reply immediately)
- He tweaks the tune and sends me the new copy, I upload, and repeat.
- Hopefully I get the best tune possible with 3 pulls on the dyno.

My question to you guys with dyno experience is, are guys cool with doing it like that? Do they have the extra 10-15 mins or so between dyno pulls for me to upload the updated tunes each time? Would they be pissed I wasn't using them to tune my car? What would something like that cost me? (The dyno time)
I've never dynoed a car before.
Thanks guys.
K&N INTAKE
DIABLO INTUNE- TUNED BY BRIAN @ DRAG-ON TUNING

SJMAUTOPROD INTERIOR LIGHTING KIT FTW!
floutier84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
Tampa Tuning
Like us on Facebook!

Drives: C5 Corvette/ 2010 Camaro
Camaro Corvette GTO G8 GM Truck performance Tuner in Tampa

That's the problem with handheld units. For the 95% of the guys without a wideband, You really have no idea what your final AFR is at WOT or frankly cruising AFR.

A couple issue:

Your going to be dependant on the dyno shop you use that they calibrated their wideband, and its accurate for your use. (can they just tune it there)

The wideband reading on the dyno will show the AFR going across the RPM span. Your PCM sees your MAF in Hz. So if you tell your remote tuner friend your AFR was 11.7 at WOT, he'll have to know what Hz range that your in.

the AFR moves around because your wideband is grabing split second samples and your RPMs going up from say 2800 to 6000 will change the AFR. So you maybe 11.7 AFR at 7280 Hz, and 12.3 at 8125 HZ and 13.8 at 9200 Hz. Thats going to be the hard part explaining your scanning tool to marry up with the dyno chart reading.

Ofcourse, you can say to your calibrator your AFR was 11.7 at WOT and a unskilled calibrator would lean it out a couple percent across the board to peak Hz causing KR at the upper RPM band.

The more accurate way would be to buy a wideband that connects to your interface and have them recorded together. Then send the scan to your calibrator for improvment. Then he can correct the exact range.

with mail order tunes, you know about where the AFR will be, but that will change from car to car, and your have to error on the richer side.

That's why I always have guys that use my mail order program send me a scan after uploading the calibration.
www.TampaTuning.com
Phil

Read this :
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...20#post7838320

www.TampaTuning.com
Camaro Corvette CTS GTO Tuner Tampa Orlando Bradenton
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
floutier84

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
I really appreciate the in-depth response. That makes complete sense and I figure just buying a wideband would make the most sense at this point. Shame the Intune doesn't offer an option to where you can just purchase an O2 sensor and link it to the Intune handheld while datalogging, instead of having to buy a separate gauge for it.
K&N INTAKE
DIABLO INTUNE- TUNED BY BRIAN @ DRAG-ON TUNING

SJMAUTOPROD INTERIOR LIGHTING KIT FTW!
floutier84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
Tampa Tuning
Like us on Facebook!

Drives: C5 Corvette/ 2010 Camaro
there's alot of toys out there, then there are a couple tools used for the platform science of calibration.

Read this :
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...20#post7838320

www.TampaTuning.com
Camaro Corvette CTS GTO Tuner Tampa Orlando Bradenton
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote