Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hurst Shifters
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:45 AM   #1
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3 Victory Red
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
$300 to $400 for a detail job?

Ever since the day I drove my car home, it's had very very light water spots on it. The car only sat on the lot for 2 weeks max [according to its build date and my purchase date], but probably several days less than that when you count in shipping time, so I know it's not from months of sitting on the lot and getting rained on. I carefully hand wash my car once a week and just gave it it's first serious paste wax job a couple of weeks ago. This did make the water spots look much better, but they're still there. They're super light, and you literally have to be at a certain angle to even see them, but I know they're there, so it sort of drives me nuts... So anyway, I contacted what is supposed to be the best detail shop in town, and they quoted me $300 to $400 to just get rid of the spots [I told them I didn't need any interior, wheel or window cleaning]. Does that sound about right, or is that guy trying to rip me a new one? Sorry about the novice question, but I've never been able to afford a car that was even worth detailing, so this is a first for me. But if $400 is on track, I'm going to have to save up for that, I guess. I do want the water spots gone. It's way too pretty of a color to not have it perfect...

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
otter

Drives: Eastbound and Down
I think the guys here can give you some great advice on water spots. Check some of the stickies about what to do with a new car. The are some great DYI tips there.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:02 AM   #3
camarostar2010

Drives: 2011 SS
300 for a detail...wth..are u getting the car gold plated :/
camarostar2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
That could be a little steep, or it could be just right. It depends what he has to do to remove them. It could be as simple as claying or it could need polishing. If it's just clay, you're getting ripped off. If it's polishing too, that's not bad.

However, I always recommend doing it yourself. It's not hard, I can walk you through it and it's way more rewarding to look at your work than someone else's

*We have armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening*
Old 11-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
kmmink

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS/GFX CRT/Beige A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post

However, I always recommend doing it yourself. It's not hard, I can walk you through it and it's way more rewarding to look at your work than someone else's

Completely agree!

Here's a link to just one of many DIY success stories:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251673

Warning though, you will quickly become addicted!

Best of luck!
2013 2LT/RS CRT/Beige A6;Body-color gfx, body-color blade spoiler, body-color grille, body-color engine cover, Sunroof, Navigation, 20" polished aluminum wheels, Spare tire, and Cargo net-Order placed 8/4/12-TPW 8/27/12-Delivered 9/27/12 and 2013 2LT/RS AGM/Gray A6;Body-color gfx, body-color blade spoiler, body-color grille, Sunroof, Navigation, 20" polished aluminum wheels(last years), Spare tire, and Cargo net-Order placed 10/4/12-TPW 10/29/12-Delivered 12/11/12.
kmmink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
LikaRokBowTie

Drives: 2014SilveradoCCZ71
Drive it over to me and you'll save 100-125 dollars enjoy a road trip and get a great detail.
LikaRokBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
Ricamaro

Drives: RocketZed Red13
It's cheap if the guy is a reputable detailer. The best indication would be a waiting list; if he can get to you right away, either he's a hack or you got lucky to slide in between jobs or somebody cancelled.
Depends on what you are willing to pay for. Ask him for a price on a full on paint correction job - the price should double or triple if he's previewed your car and he is a knowledgeable professional.
Ricamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
Elykson
Custom One Off

Drives: 2010 Chicago Blackhawks Edition #1
Way too much. Get yourself a dual action polisher kit for that price and do it yourself. Easy fix. I could clear it up with a wash, clay bar, wash and a few polishes.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3 Victory Red
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Thanks a million for the advice, guys. Supposedly, this place is THE place to go in town. The website is great, Facebook page is filled with praises, and there's definitely a waiting list to get in. But believe it or not, I used to do PDI at a Ford dealer for a while, so I'm pretty good with waxing materials, I think. I'm going to look at your links, and do a bunch of research on here and see if I can't knock out the spots myself. If it needs a true paint correction, I'd be willing to fork over the cash eventually... But you guys are definitely right. I need to give it a shot myself. Perhaps next weekend will be the time to do it - weather permitting. Thanks again!
Old 11-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricamaro View Post
It's cheap if the guy is a reputable detailer. The best indication would be a waiting list; if he can get to you right away, either he's a hack or you got lucky to slide in between jobs or somebody cancelled.
Depends on what you are willing to pay for. Ask him for a price on a full on paint correction job - the price should double or triple if he's previewed your car and he is a knowledgeable professional.
Not exactly true this time of year, a lot of people have already put their cars in storage for the winter... worst time to get it done is at the end of spring when you'll be waiting a month or so.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #11
Good_Times

Drives: red
When you just print a large figure like 400-500 dollars it seems like a ton of money to make a car shiny. Thats why I won't give a estimate sight unseen. A customers idea of paint condition and reality could be worlds apart. Expectations are also sometimes.
out of line with reality. A correction may require as little as a one step correction to meet customer demand or as much as three or more steps taking 12-15 hrs plus. What would you charge in your field of employment for those kind of hrs and bringing your own equipment and product ? So sometimes those big numbers aren't as far out of line as they sound.
Good_Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #12
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
Its probably a LITTLE high for exterior only work, but not by some standards. I'd say $250 is probably the average, but depending on the quality of the guys work, if hes legit (carries insurance and is properly trained) it wouldn't be unreasonable to quote $300-$400. Many people get suckered in by "$100 details" and end up getting screwed by either a hack job that makes matters worse or not getting results expected/promised. As the saying goes "Cheap detailing isn't good and good detailing isn't cheap"

My rate is $45-$55 an hour depending on the work and a Camaro can take me in the range of 6-8 hours. So $270 on the low side and $440 on the high side as a guide.

On the flip side... if you opt to go the DIY route you can get the tools/supplies needed not only to do the job yourself once, but maintain it for a long time for about what it would cost to have the car done once professionally. The initial investment essentially pays for itself after you do your second paint correction.
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Here in cali, it's 250 for an exterior detail that DOESN'T INCLUDE swril removing. If you want them to go over and remove swirls, the price jumps up to about 500 bucks or so. At least from a reputable guy.

Dylan, would you mind flying out to SF on Black Friday to detail my car before the SF Int'l Auto Show? I'd love to pay your price instead of what detailers out here charge.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #14
Nick@Adams

LOL... no can do... I already wiggled my way out of going to Florida for a show on Thanksgiving. If I were gone anytime around there my wife would change the locks while I was gone... and I definitely don't want to sleep outside in Colorado winter.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #15
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
To be honest that sounds fairly cheap/fair.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #16
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
To be honest that sounds fairly cheap/fair.
I 2nd that,
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #17
Todd3544

Drives: 12 Camaro 2SS/RS, 11 Denali, 08 HD
I just went to harbor freight, picked up their dual action polisher $60 and used Adams products to correct it by myself. As Dylan said, now I got the stuff to fix my paint in the future no matter the minor cosmetic defect, and I have the comfort of knowing its done to my high standards, not someone else's. All said and done beside my time, product are far less than $400.
Todd3544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #18
Nick@Adams

And you've got a new hobby/skill out of it as well... which if you're a shine junky like some of us here can be a really rewarding thing.

Glad to hear you got it all sorted out.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #19
Brettzel

Drives: #null
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarostar2010 View Post
300 for a detail...wth..are u getting the car gold plated :/
Are you joking? 300-400 for a pro detail isnt expensive at all.
Brettzel is offline   Reply With Quote