Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions All DIY projects & discussions

Old 11-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
Miro23

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT RS
Lightbulb LED Footwell Light DIY Install on 2013 Camaro 2LT

I just installed my aqua led footwell lights from oracle - the pics may look blue but they are aqua and match factory acc lights. This was the first time I have ever messed around with automotive wiring so I'm very proud of the results. I installed a on/off/on toggle switch by the fuse box and wired that to the dome light, a dimmer switch, and the 12 volt power wire of the cigarette lighter under the center console. I was going to use the 12v in the fuse box as described in other footwell threads but then discovered that the 2013 doesn't have an open fuse like earlier models. So I installed a t tap to the cigarette lighter wire instead. The lights work exactly like I wanted. I am able to drive with them on and dim them so they won't be too bright by switching the toggle switch to the 12V on position. They still work with the dome light when I flip the toggle switch to the opposite on position. When I open the doors they light up with the dome light and when I close the doors they dim off. The install took me a good while (about 5 hours) but that's because this was my first time messing with wires. i had never worked with a stripper, crimper or anything - but I managed. It was relatively easy considering I wanted a toggle switch and a dimmer. If you just want the lights to come on with the dome light it is MUCH easier. Thank you to all who posted on the other footwell threads and special thanks to SummoneR for all the help with the diagram and the answers to all my questions. Here's how I did it:

Disconnected black wire from the battery in the trunk as a precaution. ;-)

1. I removed the 2 side plastic panels and the fuse box cover. Installed the led lights with zip ties like described in other threads and fed the passenger led wire through to the driver side. I then connected the 2 black wires from the lights together using a butt connector and connected them to a 18GA wire so I could connect one wire to the - OUT terminal in the dimmer and I did the same for the red + wire and connected it to the + OUT terminal in the dimmer. (basically I formed a Y with the led wires to get one wire to put into the dimmer OUT +/- side) see picture of the dimmer i used.

2. Then I installed a t tap (see pictures of the ttaps i used) to the gray dome wire by the accelerator pedal (see other footwell threads for details). I used a fuse connector and an 18GA wire (see last few pictures). I connected the red wire from the dome light to one of the on terminals of the toggle switch.

3. I took an 18 Ga separate wire (marked it black with a sharpie) and installed it into the - IN terminal in the dimmer switch and grounded that to the car bolt using a ring connector. See bolt picture. This grounds the dimmer switch. Be sure to measure the amount of wire you need first.

4. I then took another 18GA wire and connected it to the middle terminal on the toggle switch using a ring connector and the other end to the + IN terminal on the dimmer switch. Again, I used a ring connector for the toggle switch and the other end didn't require a connector. Be sure to measure the amount of wire you need first.

5. Then I lifted the plastic cover surrounding the shifter and did a t tap into the cigarette lighter red power wire. (12 V Power) and connected the other end of the wire to the other end terminal on the toggle switch using a ring connector.

So now the 3 terminals on the toggle switch are wired up and the dimmer is all wired up. There is a good diagram picture of the toggle switch wiring in another footwell thread (~pg 27 of thread). I tested the connections were all right by installing the battery and everything worked just fine so I continued to set everything in place.

6. I drilled a hole at the bottom of the fuse box for the toggle switch to go into. So I have to reach down for it with my left hand ;-) See my picture. There are also other pictures of this in other threads.

7. I zip tied all the wires nice and neat by the led's under the driver side footwell and hid them in the center console by the dimmer switch and set my dimmer switch where I wanted it in the center console by the driver side panel.

8. I measured very carefully and drilled a small hole in the side panel by the driver side leg that covers all the wires for the dimmer switch. I ran into a problem here and I'm still trying to solve it. I took off the dimmer switch black knob so I could put the dimmer bar through the plastic console but it wasn't long enough to be able to secure the black knob again. Now I guess I have to find another black knob to use on the dimmer bar. Bummed about this but I hopefully I can find a replacement. :( any suggestions?

9. I put everything back together and took the car out for a drive. The dimmer works awesome! Hope this helps.

Below is a video I made for you all to see the dimmer in action. Hope you all like it.

Last edited by Miro23; 11-05-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Miro23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Southwestspeed.net

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '96 Z28
Paul Beam for the win!

SummonR to most of us.....

Well done and SICK!
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
Miro23

Thanks Ivan
Old 11-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #4
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Awesome Miro! I knew you could do it! Glad I could help. It looks good too. As far as the dimmer switch knob not sure, unless you use a different dimmer with a longer dial. Or a larger image I could possibly see better how to modify it.

Glad you got it done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post
Paul Beam for the win!

SummonR to most of us.....

Well done and SICK!
Ivan
Thanks Ivan!

As a side note I just realized I used the wrong ground symbol, that is a Earth ground, I should have used a Chassis Ground symbol... oh well it still makes sense. I will have to fix it for fur future reference.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
Miro23

Hey Paul. Glad you liked it. I found a dimmer switch knob today that looks retro and it fit perfect. Job complete. Now time for the next mod. My ugly yellow fog lights need to be white to match the halos.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
Wuiquen

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LT/RS
so the traction control button is where most people tap into for the power?? I want my footwell to come on only at night time kinda or when I turn the halos on.. how many led bars or regulars can you tap to that source??

it looks good.. I want this soo bad
Old 11-06-2012, 01:10 AM   #7
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miro23 View Post
Hey Paul. Glad you liked it. I found a dimmer switch knob today that looks retro and it fit perfect. Job complete. Now time for the next mod. My ugly yellow fog lights need to be white to match the halos.
Nice! Glad you found a fix.

Yup I love my Plasma DRl's I just need to get some 8K HID bulbs now, and AAC's new Plasma Halos.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:11 AM   #8
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiquen View Post
so the traction control button is where most people tap into for the power?? I want my footwell to come on only at night time kinda or when I turn the halos on.. how many led bars or regulars can you tap to that source??

it looks good.. I want this soo bad
He tapped into the power from the cigarette lighter/accessory plug.
I tapped my radar detector into that wire and into the 4 gauge cluster power wire as well for something else.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Southwestspeed.net

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '96 Z28
Great love here....really appreciate seeing folks hook up together to help it out on the installs.

That's what's really awesome
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post
Great love here....really appreciate seeing folks hook up together to help it out on the installs.

That's what's really awesome
Ivan

Old 11-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
Miro23

So what did you all think of my video? I made it special for you.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #12
SummoneR
Paul

Very nice! Funny how your camera changes the color though, I could see it shift before my eyes.

I can tell you have some video editing skills as well, which was nice from the just posting a video method. Very cool. I have a video I need to make for Ivan still about my foot-well lighting. I wanted to finish it all before I did though.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #13
Jeffm
ICANHAZ

Drives: 2013 CRT 1SS/RS
Nice DIY can you possibly make the pics smaller so i really cant see them?
Jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #14
Jalberdi99

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS AGM
is there a way to connect the lights to a source that will come on at the same time as the halos? if so, where? what color wire?
Old 02-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #15
niterat

Drives: ZLI IOM Convertible
Some help from one of you electrical types please....
I want to have an on/off switch from the constant source wired in parallel with the dome lights. The idea is to have the foot well lights always work with the dome light, but also come on with the switch when I want.

Would this work or am I going to short something out if there are two sources of power wired together?
niterat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #16
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterat View Post
Some help from one of you electrical types please....
I want to have an on/off switch from the constant source wired in parallel with the dome lights. The idea is to have the foot well lights always work with the dome light, but also come on with the switch when I want.

Would this work or am I going to short something out if there are two sources of power wired together?
Yes it can be done, check out the other DIY threads for instructions on how to do this. Very simple to do.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #17
niterat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummoneR View Post
Yes it can be done, check out the other DIY threads for instructions on how to do this. Very simple to do.
Thanks!
Old 04-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #18
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Still befuddled and New

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummoneR View Post

Hello, my name is Jim and I am new to this forum. The help and the posts are great here and I hope you guys can help me.

I would like to have the footwell lights stay on whenever the car is on. When I open the door the lights should come on and stay on till I shut the car down and get out.

I have searched the threads but I still don't know what wire to tap in to or where to find it. Please help.

I have a 2013 Camaro 2LT RS.

Thanks
Jim
Jims Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #19
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post
Hello, my name is Jim and I am new to this forum. The help and the posts are great here and I hope you guys can help me.

I would like to have the footwell lights stay on whenever the car is on. When I open the door the lights should come on and stay on till I shut the car down and get out.

I have searched the threads but I still don't know what wire to tap in to or where to find it. Please help.

Thanks
Jim
Welcome to the forums Jim. You will want to attach a relay to an ACC power line that will activate the lights with a separate 12 volt source (so that you do not draw too much power from the ACC source.) The only ACC power wire I can think of off the top of my head, is the one in the center console that powers the cigarette lighter/+12V ACC plug. I tapped into this line for my radar detector so that it is on when ever the ignition key is in the ACC/ON position. I believe there are more in the fuse box as well I thought on the earlier models there was a spare even. I'll have to look into it and get back to you, unless someone else remembers?
Old 04-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #20
niterat

Quote:

Thanks
Jim
Jim,
I ended up using a 3 way rocker switch to have them on either constant (with key on in switch position 1) or to go on and off with the dome lights (in switch position 3), and always off in mid position 2. For the dome lights I tapped into the gray wire of the gray connector above the gas pedal (thanks to many other posters of this most excellent forum). My footwell lights come on and off with the dome light with one small issue. For some reason I don't understand the dome and courtesy lighting fade slowly on and off but my LEDs come on and off immediately.
Hope that helps, Good luck!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:19 AM   #21
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Thanks a bunch

Thanks to both niterat and SummoneR.

Both ideas and methods seem fairly easy to do.

First niterat.
I have some familiarity with the gray wire under the dash up and to the right of the 'go' pedal. In fact I wired my door sills that light a nice blue with that connection. However, even though I left another connection to that gray wire available I didn't use it because that line is on a timer that fades those door sills after the door closes. Niterat you seem to be saying that the 3 way switch will allow me that option to have the footwell lights on as long as the car is on. Is that correct?

SummoneR

Your method also seems fairly easy if I can identify the wire that powers the cigarette lighter. But correct me if I am wrong but the footwell lights would not come on when I open the door.

thanks again to you both, I'm just new at this and need all the help I can get.

Jim
Old 04-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #22
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Appreciate the help so far, need more.

Quote:
Thanks to both niterat and SummoneR.

Both ideas and methods seem fairly easy to do.

First niterat.
I have some familiarity with the gray wire under the dash up and to the right of the 'go' pedal. In fact I wired my door sills that light a nice blue with that connection. However, even though I left another connection to that gray wire available I didn't use it because that line is on a timer that fades those door sills after the door closes. Niterat you seem to be saying that the 3 way switch will allow me that option to have the footwell lights on as long as the car is on. Is that correct?

SummoneR

Your method also seems fairly easy if I can identify the wire that powers the cigarette lighter. But correct me if I am wrong but the footwell lights would not come on when I open the door.

thanks again to you both, I'm just new at this and need all the help I can get.

Jim

I have my Camaro sitting here the lights are mounted, the wires run, so hot leads are available under the dash near the center console and also near the dashboard fuse box on the drivers side. The ground wires are run, but I still need to know what color line to tap in to. Great responses from the above two forum members but I still have questions.

Thanks

Jim
Old 04-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #23
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Quote:
I have my Camaro sitting here the lights are mounted, the wires run, so hot leads are available under the dash near the center console and also near the dashboard fuse box on the drivers side. The ground wires are run, but I still need to know what color line to tap in to. Great responses from the above two forum members but I still have questions.

Thanks

Jim
Success I found the wire to tap in to. I took off the center console and in the bigger plug that attaches to the console there is a yellow wire. I tapped into that and since the grounds were already run, it was done. The lights come on when I open the door and stay on when the car is on. Thanks all for all the help.

Jim
Old 04-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #24
niterat

Sorry I forgot to check back on this thread. As you found, the lighter is the other source.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #25
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterat View Post
Sorry I forgot to check back on this thread. As you found, the lighter is the other source.
Nothing to be sorry about. If it weren't for you guys, I wouldn't even know where to start.

Thanks again for all the help.

Next project is the black kick plates with the chevy logo and wiring through the door to put an LED strip in that logo.

Jim

Tags
dimmer, footwell lighting, led footwell install, led lights in footwells, toggle dimmer switch