Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:41 AM   #1
xslim12

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT RS
Flying Rock Hits Hood on Freeway (Solutions?)

Hey guys,

I was driving down the freeway yesterday and a rock flew out of nowhere and hit my hood and windshield. Luckily, nothing happened to my windshield. However, I can not say the same about my hood. It hasn't even been two months and now I have two individual paint chips caused by this rock on my hood. I definitely do not want to pay for this since it wasn't caused by any of my actions.

I was wondering as to what steps I can take to get this fixed, aside from dealing with insurance? I was thinking of calling the city and filing a case with them since my tax dollars are being used to keep highways safe and clean.

There was a truck that was driving 2 lanes to my right about 150 yards away. It could have come from its trailer, but that is hard to believe because nothing else was flying out of it. Normally, trucks like that will have constant debris fly out of their trailer. If that was the case, can I argue that the state is responsible for setting trucking rules in place to increase safety on the roads?

Has anyone dealt with a situation like this, where random debris has caused some sort of damage to your car? If so, what steps did you take to fix it? If you filed a claim with the city/state, how did you go about it?

I am pretty frustrated about this.
xslim12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:51 AM   #2
ZL1 Spoked

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 M6
Just get a new hood. Probably like 200-300.

604 RWHP 602 LBS/TQ
ZL1 Spoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:59 AM   #3
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 Spoked View Post
Just get a new hood. Probably like 200-300.
+ cost to pait it..

How about a pic? If it's small enough you could get a pretty good touch up with the factory paint and the back side of a match. (The part you tear out of the book.)

I don't think the city would do anything, mine would surely give me the finger unless you can stop the vehicle that caused it right after the fact.
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:12 AM   #4
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by xslim12 View Post
Hey guys,

I was driving down the freeway yesterday and a rock flew out of nowhere and hit my hood and windshield. Luckily, nothing happened to my windshield. However, I can not say the same about my hood. It hasn't even been two months and now I have two individual paint chips caused by this rock on my hood. I definitely do not want to pay for this since it wasn't caused by any of my actions.

I was wondering as to what steps I can take to get this fixed, aside from dealing with insurance? I was thinking of calling the city and filing a case with them since my tax dollars are being used to keep highways safe and clean.

There was a truck that was driving 2 lanes to my right about 150 yards away. It could have come from its trailer, but that is hard to believe because nothing else was flying out of it. Normally, trucks like that will have constant debris fly out of their trailer. If that was the case, can I argue that the state is responsible for setting trucking rules in place to increase safety on the roads?

Has anyone dealt with a situation like this, where random debris has caused some sort of damage to your car? If so, what steps did you take to fix it? If you filed a claim with the city/state, how did you go about it?

I am pretty frustrated about this.
I'm going to guess the rock came from a tire on the truck. Happens all the time. Your problem is that unless you can demonstrate that an object came off of a particular vehicle, it is simple road hazard and no one is responible. No one.

Your insurance probably doesn't cover that type of road hazard and if it did, the repair is probably less than the cost of deductible. Sometimes you just gotta live with things like this, pay a few dollars to fix it and move on.

I know how you feel though. I got 3 small hail dents in my Camaro after only a month. That was over 3 years ago and I still haven't fixed them because they aren't noticable to most people and I just haven't made it a priority. Nothing stays pristine forever unless you keep it in a vault.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:53 AM   #5
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
Put a bug shield on it and forget about it Usually the rule of the road is if it came off the vehicle then you can make a claim against them, if it came off the road then you are following too closely.
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
xslim12

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT RS
I will post a picture soon.

What makes me think I can go with a claim is that our city, Los Angeles, is doing an insane amount of reconstruction on the freeways. They have trucks carrying lot of dirt/debris since they are adding new lanes and building a new bridge. I am going to give the city a call today and see what can be done. Would love to get a new hood and have the paint job covered by them
xslim12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
I got my front bumper repainted through my comprehensive coverage when a rock flew out of a truck and took a nice chunk of paint off - it was a $200 deductible and because it was covered under comprehensive it won't hurt your rates.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
scottyvegas
X SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRSM6 1988 Sportside
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
I got my front bumper repainted through my comprehensive coverage when a rock flew out of a truck and took a nice chunk of paint off - it was a $200 deductible and because it was covered under comprehensive it won't hurt your rates.
**me too, picking my baby up today!!!!**

MODS: H&R SPRINGS, QTP CUT OUTS, PAINTED STRIPES, PAINTED SS EMBLEMS, PAINTED FIN, PAINTED REAR TAIL LAMP BEZELS, HERITAGE GRILLE, DUCTS, SKIP SHIFT, CENTERFORCE CLUTCH, HURST SHORT THROW, CAI INTAKE, SCOOP, WASHER RELO KIT, KOOKS HEADERS, KOOKS HI FLOW CATS, CUSTOM TUNE,AAC STUFF, BAER ROTORS, HAWK PADS, FUZZY DICE, LASER BEAMS, DISCO BALL, SYBIAN & 3 CHROME VALVE STEM CAPS................
scottyvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #9
otter

Drives: Eastbound and Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by xslim12 View Post
I will post a picture soon.

What makes me think I can go with a claim is that our city, Los Angeles, is doing an insane amount of reconstruction on the freeways. They have trucks carrying lot of dirt/debris since they are adding new lanes and building a new bridge. I am going to give the city a call today and see what can be done. Would love to get a new hood and have the paint job covered by them
If it happend on a freeway it's CalTrans and not the city you would have to file a claim with. They will deny it.

Rocks and other small debris are a normal part of any roadway. I am sorry, but I think filing claims is just going to be a waste of time.

Talk to the clerk at your counties small claim court and see what they think. They will know if you can win that type of claim and what sort of evidence you would need.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
The time, effort, court fees and etc will far outweigh the cost of simply repairing the hood .

And I don't think you'd have any chance to win anyway
Old 11-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #11
sene

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LS
As a tax payer in LA I don't want to pay for your rock chip. Do you expect them to vacuum the freeways every couple hours. You will get laughed at with this claim.
sene is offline   Reply With Quote