Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

Drives: 400HP 2LT/RS
Another Fuel Door Question (Everyone read please)

Ok so I know the door has been covered in other threads, my question thats been bothering me is, what does the hole behind the door look like? Is there enough clearance between the door and hole for a locking cap?

The reason I'm asking this is because the locking door is about to cost me $150 almost (ripoff) while a locking cap I can pickup from NAPA or Part Source for $15. This plus the fact that I'd rather have my door not look any different from the rest of the body which it would (regardless if you painted it).

Its soo stupid that GM never installed a basic locking mechanism on the fuel door as that worries me. When my dad was younger, his Challenger got salt poured in the tank by some jelious teenages that had nothing better to do. I dont want this happening to me or anyone else if I can help it.

Does anyone else feel my pain?

Shaun

CRAZY BEE - IOM 2LT/RS (more)
!NOW HAVE 80W CREE LED IN STOCK TAIL LENSES!
Cosmetic Mods - 23 | Performance Mods - 14
ROTO-FAB CAI - DT HEADERS - CUSTOM 3-INCH PIPE EXHAUST - RES DEL - R-CATS DEL - MAGNAFLOW RES X-PIPE - 91 OCTANE TUNE - FULL ADM KIT - PORTED IM - PORTED TB - PORTED CH - BLACK 3/8 ISOLATOR - TRIFECTA TUNED
DJ ATOMIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Tanks are fairly syphon proof....so there is really no need, unless you are avoiding the sugar treatment.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Not feelin' your pain, DJ ATOMIX. I personally don't understand the paranoia over a nonlocking cap. I believe chances are much higher you'll wreck the car long before a nonlocking gas cap becomes an issue. JMO
Old 06-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrunner View Post
Not feelin' your pain, DJ ATOMIX. I personally don't understand the paranoia over a nonlocking cap. I believe chances are much higher you'll wreck the car long before a nonlocking gas cap becomes an issue. JMO
I feel no pain either, I just like the locking gas door, it's cool.

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #5
jr_hoyt
J-Rock

Drives: 2001 Yellow Ford Focus
I ride the fence on the issue. I'm the type of person who hopes for the best and prepares for the worst because it's better to be safe than sorry... I wanted the locking door because I kinda like the chrome doors I see people run around with, but I ultimately did not take it because I feel it would take away from the ebb and flow of the car itself. I live out in the country and I've seen PLENTY of people get salted/sugared, so I plan on investing in a locking gas cap (although my baby will go in the garage EVERY night).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrunner View Post
While I'd say that these statistics (being totally non-mathematical) would be a fair assumption. I would still feel safe without a locking gas cap, I just think that if you need the piece of mind, then by all means GET IT!

JMO...

jr_hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:57 AM   #6
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
I'm not all that thrilled with any of the locking gas caps I've ever used. What I am really comtemplating, is to modify my existing (when I get my Camaro) gas door to incorporate an external lock...just like the factory gas door on my old Trans Am.

For what's it's worth, I want to keep the door the same color (black) as the rest of the car. That's part of the reason why I don't think I'll go with the locking gas doors I've seen here on Camaro5. The other reason is becasue I want it smooth...again, unlike the ones that are available. I might have been more inclined to use one of the aftermarket ones we've seen here, but the Camaro's gas door is SO DAMN HUGE...they just doesn't look right!
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:27 AM   #7
MaroSS
VIN - 7314

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I feel your pain with this one ... there are alot of idiots out there and I NEED a locking gas cap but dont want to pay $150 for a fuel door
Old 06-22-2009, 09:24 AM   #8
MidlifeZ28

Drives: Yellow 2SSrs 2G1FK1EJXA9110386
I got the locking chrome cap. Not for the security as much as for the style. Having a lock is a nice additional touch, and to me expresses the care and secuirty I want for the whole car.
Rally Yellow 2SS/RS with Black Rally Stripes & Ground Effects Package, Grey/Black interior, Yellow Engine Cover, Chrome gas cap, side accents, 20" Polished Wheels, rear blackout package. VIN: 10386 MSRP $40,100
MidlifeZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #9
tjd24
Thank you Oshawa/St.Cats!

Drives: 2010 2LT RS 2G1FC1EV4A9103434
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidlifeZ28 View Post
I got the locking chrome cap. Not for the security as much as for the style. Having a lock is a nice additional touch, and to me expresses the care and secuirty I want for the whole car.

I got the locking brushed aluminum fuel door from http://www.defenderworx.com, great finish and quality -- I haven't installed it yet as the locking clasp needs to be fastened to the existing push-button - will post pic whten done.

I know the $189 is expensive but like MidlifeZ28 above I wanted more style than the GM part with more security in case someone wants a trophy from my car...
#3434 Born 4-15-2009, Delivered 5-22-2009 BBOMG 2/3/4 & booked for #5
tjd24 is offline   Reply With Quote