Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Lethal Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:24 AM   #1
WillInThe04Ranger

Drives: 04 Ranger, 95 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to WillInThe04Ranger
Apple/Mac Safari 3 Beat (for Mac and PC)

SO I was on apple.com lookin at the new Macbook Air (lightest and thinest mac yet) And I saw Safari 3 and my friend and I were like " Imma try this? " And I did and it's effin amazing! I dont know how it is on dial up but on DSL its great!!
Old 01-17-2008, 12:57 AM   #2
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
well i have a MacBook for about 8 months and with cable it is one of the fastest computers i have ever used and once you learn to use them macs are a lot easier to use
Old 01-17-2008, 02:06 AM   #3
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I hold my tongue at apple products. only thing they are superior at is video/sound editing.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:30 AM   #4
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
I hold my tongue at apple products. only thing they are superior at is video/sound editing.
I second that. People tend to get offended when I discuss my views on Apple products "ease of use". They are great media machines though.
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:27 AM   #5
Jay

Drives: Audi A4
Apple rocks.... too bad they "lock things up" too much..... but apple still rocks

"HEAVEN JUST COULDN'T HANDLE ALL THE NOISE"
JAY
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:13 AM   #6
Jeff
~ANTI-FORD~

Drives: Cadillac CTS
Send a message via MSN to Jeff
I don't like apples, and I don't like the company either.

haha, jk. I like their Ipods.. wouldn't buy a computer from them though.

sorry guys.. sold Camaro and got a Cadillac CTS, waiting for a few years to get a 2010 SS used ;]
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:17 AM   #7
[KRPT]ECP
Professional Lurker

Drives: '97 LeSabre
the funny thing about not liking either microsoft or not liking apple, especially if you buy from one or the other because of it, is that microsoft owns a very large part of apple....

apple is superior in most audio, video, etc. but (I'm going to get flamed for this...) a pc for the same price as a macbook is just as good. (this is based on a few performance tests I ran on a pc built from parts that totaled $100 less than my friend's mac book)

apple's main advantage is that different parties don't build different parts, additionally, the parts are made specifically to work with eachother. PC is all third party hardware. because of that PCs tend to be able to fit price ranges better as well as cater to specific needs. this is all my opinion and I probably have more but I have to get back to work
[KRPT]ECP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
GSX
Falcon Punch

Drives: Scion tC (way too slow)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [KRPT]ECP View Post
the funny thing about not liking either microsoft or not liking apple, especially if you buy from one or the other because of it, is that microsoft owns a very large part of apple....

apple is superior in most audio, video, etc. but (I'm going to get flamed for this...) a pc for the same price as a macbook is just as good. (this is based on a few performance tests I ran on a pc built from parts that totaled $100 less than my friend's mac book)

apple's main advantage is that different parties don't build different parts, additionally, the parts are made specifically to work with eachother. PC is all third party hardware. because of that PCs tend to be able to fit price ranges better as well as cater to specific needs. this is all my opinion and I probably have more but I have to get back to work
That's why we have linux.
GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #9
WillInThe04Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSX View Post
That's why we have linux.
Linux is used for programming isn't it?
Old 01-17-2008, 01:22 PM   #10
Pencil.Fight

Linux is an open source operating system. It doesn't really have anything to do with hardware though. Linux is ideal for those who know a lot about computers as they can more easily tweak things to fix compatibility problems than they can with Windows. However, if you don't have an interest in the inner workings of your computer, you may find Linux a bit more confusing than Windows or a Mac.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #11
[KRPT]ECP
Professional Lurker

indeed linux is my OS of preference. It's pretty simple to figure out if you can be bothered to learn about it.

Unfortunately both my workplace and school require XP so I have my home pc set up as dual boot (VERY useful for people who want program compatability from xp as well as the freedom of linux)
Old 01-17-2008, 01:46 PM   #12
Pencil.Fight

Honestly, I try not to say much either way. I acknowledge that I have a huge bias towards Microsoft. In fact, in 2 and a half hours I will be going in for a job interview with them.

I've used Macs on a number of occasions and, other than things being in different places than they are on Windows, my only real complaint is the lack of control given to the user. That's speaking for the OS; the hardware issue is a completely different thing.

I admit I have only used Linux a little bit, but I would be interested in exploring it further when I have the time.

Now that this thread has gone completely , I ask the original poster, "What exactly is it about Safari 3 that you like so much?"

I know that Safari is Apple's web browser, but I have never used it myself. What is it about the browser that makes it superior to Firefox, IE, or Opera? Ha ha, the IE one is easy. I may have a Microsoft bias, but even I won't use IE.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:40 PM   #13
GSX
Falcon Punch

Drives: Scion tC (way too slow)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil.Fight View Post
Honestly, I try not to say much either way. I acknowledge that I have a huge bias towards Microsoft. In fact, in 2 and a half hours I will be going in for a job interview with them.

I've used Macs on a number of occasions and, other than things being in different places than they are on Windows, my only real complaint is the lack of control given to the user. That's speaking for the OS; the hardware issue is a completely different thing.

I admit I have only used Linux a little bit, but I would be interested in exploring it further when I have the time.

Now that this thread has gone completely , I ask the original poster, "What exactly is it about Safari 3 that you like so much?"

I know that Safari is Apple's web browser, but I have never used it myself. What is it about the browser that makes it superior to Firefox, IE, or Opera? Ha ha, the IE one is easy. I may have a Microsoft bias, but even I won't use IE.
I'm not to sure about Safari but it seems work ok on my itouch.
GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:33 PM   #14
WillInThe04Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil.Fight View Post

I dont know really, it loads faster (On my PC than both IE and Mozilla) the only thing it needs is what firefox has (Firefox has completely spoiled my searchin)

When searching on safari it has no default search engine to go to (i.e. Google) but as far as everything else, for being the beta version, I have not encountered any problems with it yet, it doesn't slow my pc down at all (I have all 3 broswers on here, may not be a smart move but we'll see)
I keep I.E. because of windows updates (Mozilla will not do it) and safari is just a test run lol.

Off topic is okay as long as its PC related and I dont think the mods or admin should have a problem with that considering I have contributed to the off topicness and am about to do so again lol

OFF TOPIC: So my moms company is about to get rid of some IBM thinkpads and I think I wanna try one and put Linux up there, from the screen shots I have seen, it looks interesting.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:38 PM   #15
[KRPT]ECP
Professional Lurker

linux is a great os but there are many versions. you'll want to start with something simple or perhaps see if you can find any tutorials for any version of linux then use the version that you have the tutorial for.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:41 PM   #16
WillInThe04Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by [KRPT]ECP View Post
linux is a great os but there are many versions. you'll want to start with something simple or perhaps see if you can find any tutorials for any version of linux then use the version that you have the tutorial for.
lol yeah, im not sayin i'll be able to grab a laptop and run with it bc they are kind of pricey to be used laptops (of course most are in mint shape) but anyways lol bac to mac