Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

USA - Southwest AZ, HI, NM, NV, UT

Old 06-05-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
benjj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Thorobred Chevrolet

Sorry the post is long

I recently ordered a Camaro through Thorobred and ended up getting jerked around during trade-in time. One small detail I would like to point out is that between ordering the car and trading in my truck only 2 weeks had passed, meaning I would be without a vehicle until the Camaro arrived in 3-4 months.

After we had signed the papers and came to a final price of $21,000 for my truck(still owed roughly $26,000 so I ended up biting the bullet and paying the difference), I got a call the next morning from the sales manager saying that the 2"/4" lowering kit put on my truck was done very poorly and it was a safety hazard. Funny thing is everything on the truck was done through the original dealership before I took possession of the vehicle and it was covered under warranty. They ended up giving me 2 options.

1) They could sell the truck at auction and get roughly $18,500 for it and i would pay the difference or

2) I could give the money back and I could try to sell it myself

Again this was all done after I had signed all the papers and paid the difference on the loan. It felt like they had given me too much money for my truck and were trying any way they could to just back out of the deal.

After I explained the situation to Henry Brown GMC, the dealership I purchased the truck from, they said they fully stood behind the work and to just have the dealership drop it off and anything wrong with it would be corrected. Thorobred still attempted to back out of the deal and said after all the work was done that the truck would get reappraised most likely coming to a lower number.

In the end Henry Brown offered to buy the truck in order to save me some hassle over at Thorobred. They had no problem matching the $21,000 originally offered and I had no problem pulling my order through Thorobred. I was able to order a Camaro through Henry Brown's Casa Grande dealership with no money down, at M.S.R.P., and the same rough estimated delivery time that Thorobred gave me.

I had heard things before about Thorobred before but was excited that they were selling at M.S.R.P. and thought I'd give them a shot. I would recommend anyone considering Thorobred to take caution.

Also anyone who listens to the radio in the morning, 92.3 is supposed to have a segment either today or tomorrow(not sure which day) at 11 A.M. about my story, might give a little more insight and details as to the shop and names of people involved.
benjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
erasedgod
CGM 2SS/RS

Drives: # 9641
And that is the difference between a good dealership and one that should be shut down. I'm glad it worked out for you in the end.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
bobintuc

Drives: 2011 xm special edition
I was also jack around on my trade at Thorobred I think we need to get the word out that they are not to be trusted
bobintuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
AZCamaroFan
This is the 6thGen

Drives: Camaros
So who are the good dealers around here?
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
DarricSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
I purchased through Thorobred Chevrolet...absolutely no problems with them and the GM is GREAT.

But meh, everyone is going to have a problem with a dealer, i had some with others not being honest with me up front, but that's water under the bridge now. Well for me at least.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:33 AM   #6
benjj

it seems that me and bobintuc had problems with our trade-ins...when i first arrived at thorobred i was treated very well and simonson made the ordering process enjoyable as he seemed like a car guy himself and was excited about the camaro as well. my problems came in regards to my trade-in...i'm just glad it happened b4 i waited 3 months for my car, i probably would have just went with a different brand if i got bamboozled like that.

but ya like you said DarricSS, water under the bridge...i got my deal squared away with a different dealership and couldn't be happier

also, azfan...the dealership i went through was Henry Brown Gmc/Pontiac/Buick off the 202, not an actual chevy dealership but they are about 5 miles from me here in gilbert and they were able to order from their chevy dealership in casa grande
Old 07-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
MikeySoft
Mikey

Drives: 2010 CorvetteGS, 2010 3LT RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjj View Post
Sorry the post is long

I recently ordered a Camaro through Thorobred and ended up getting jerked around during trade-in time. One small detail I would like to point out is that between ordering the car and trading in my truck only 2 weeks had passed, meaning I would be without a vehicle until the Camaro arrived in 3-4 months.

After we had signed the papers and came to a final price of $21,000 for my truck(still owed roughly $26,000 so I ended up biting the bullet and paying the difference), I got a call the next morning from the sales manager saying that the 2"/4" lowering kit put on my truck was done very poorly and it was a safety hazard. Funny thing is everything on the truck was done through the original dealership before I took possession of the vehicle and it was covered under warranty. They ended up giving me 2 options.

1) They could sell the truck at auction and get roughly $18,500 for it and i would pay the difference or

2) I could give the money back and I could try to sell it myself

Again this was all done after I had signed all the papers and paid the difference on the loan. It felt like they had given me too much money for my truck and were trying any way they could to just back out of the deal.

After I explained the situation to Henry Brown GMC, the dealership I purchased the truck from, they said they fully stood behind the work and to just have the dealership drop it off and anything wrong with it would be corrected. Thorobred still attempted to back out of the deal and said after all the work was done that the truck would get reappraised most likely coming to a lower number.

In the end Henry Brown offered to buy the truck in order to save me some hassle over at Thorobred. They had no problem matching the $21,000 originally offered and I had no problem pulling my order through Thorobred. I was able to order a Camaro through Henry Brown's Casa Grande dealership with no money down, at M.S.R.P., and the same rough estimated delivery time that Thorobred gave me.

I had heard things before about Thorobred before but was excited that they were selling at M.S.R.P. and thought I'd give them a shot. I would recommend anyone considering Thorobred to take caution.

Also anyone who listens to the radio in the morning, 92.3 is supposed to have a segment either today or tomorrow(not sure which day) at 11 A.M. about my story, might give a little more insight and details as to the shop and names of people involved.
Crazy. Thats about the 5-6 Horrible story I've heard concerning Thorobred. Being out of the east valley I also was without a dealership after being totally screwed over by Brown and Brown Chev. in Mesa. I had been involved with 15 Vehicle purchases over the last 5-6 years with them as well!

Heck all we all wish is to have a positive buying experience and for our dealers to stand behind what they agreed on. The only thing we can do is warn each other and do this so it does not happen to another one of our Camaro or Vette Brothers & Sisters.

I also let some of my car collector and media buddies know about what had happened to me. Today with the Internet and tools available to us we can make a difference.

I know Freeway has not had the best Rep. around in the past but I have to let facts stand for themselves.

I ordered my car on 5-6-09 from Freeway.
They called me semi-weekly to give me status update.
Freeway honored my GM Employee discount.
They helped me sell my dads Lincoln, suggesting several inventive ways to maximize my trade.
The Car shipped on 7-1-09 and should be here in the next week or so.
Its not here yet but they executed flawlessly so far.

Contact Data:
Brian Banks - Internet Sales Manager
Freeway Chevrolet
Direct Line - (480) 735-0400
Cell Phone - (480) 297-4506

Anyway, yea I feel terrible for you as the behavior of many of these local dealers seem to be as bad as the banking industry.

My company does a great deal of business in Az for over 16 years and I interface wth just about everyone in the Business / School / Gov / Public / Not for profit sector. I advertise a great deal on KFNN as well. We can have an impact on this sort of behavior, and reward those dealers that stand behind what they say!

We Need to start a Thread on Good Experiences for AZ people! That way its all under one Thread. Hope this time it goes better for you!

MikeySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #8
BrandonGoodman

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Camaro
I just put in my order with Thorobred this past weekend. After reading this though, I'm starting to second guess now. They were estimating a 3 month wait before the order would be submitted to GM and then 6-8 weeks more for production time. MikeySoft's wait time with Freeway seems alot better than this now.
7/18/09 bought it off another dealer's lot

Prior:
1984 305 Camaro
1997 5.7L Z28 Camaro
BrandonGoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
DarricSS

Give me a call dude i will set you up...(602)327-0432

- ordered through Throbred and the GM is awesome...
Old 07-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #10
DarricSS

Igrone the haters, i had some hard times at other dealers
Old 07-06-2009, 09:54 PM   #11
DarricSS

Old 07-07-2009, 09:02 AM   #12
MikeySoft
Mikey

Drives: 2010 CorvetteGS, 2010 3LT RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarricSS View Post
Give me a call dude i will set you up...(602)327-0432

- ordered through Throbred and the GM is awesome...
Yea I agree, really nice guy. He seemed really up front and seemed genuine.

MikeySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:44 AM   #13
benjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarricSS View Post
Igrone the haters, i had some hard times at other dealers
i wasn't trying to hate, just getting my story out there for people to judge for themselves when choosing a dealership...if anyone does order through thorobred it's no skin off my back and i hope their purchases go over well... it sounds like only me and 1 other guy on here had trouble through them and it was in regards to our trae-ins.

sick car btw, first oil change in that pic? how many miles did you wait
Old 07-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #14
BrandonGoodman

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Camaro
I was impressed with both my sales rep and the owner/GM that helped me get the order into the computer. I just wonder if maybe some of the other dealers have less backlog and could get me allocated quicker. I emailed a bunch of them yesterday... didn't many responses that sounded like they would be any quicker though.
7/18/09 bought it off another dealer's lot

Prior:
1984 305 Camaro
1997 5.7L Z28 Camaro
BrandonGoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:34 PM   #15
az5thgen

Drives: 2010 1LT
This is the 6th car we have bought through Thorobred and again had absolutely no problems at all - again. We traded in an 05 Avalanche with a 2/5 drop on it. Got a great price and no hassle with the drop.

Our salesman was awesome - Mike Jimenez. No BS, very helpful and just a good guy. John Simonson is a great GM to work with, and after buying that many cars there he has become a friend as well.

...and no premium charge like most of the dealers in the valley!

Be sure and check out their aftermarket guys - Butch and Gary. If it's out there they will find it!
az5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote