Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-25-2015, 08:09 AM   #1
Christok

Drives: 2011 v6 auto
Is this normal even logical or possible?

I have a 2011 1lt with 35,000 km = 21,800 miles on it.

Lat week my check engine light came on. it was steady and not flashing and was after experiencing a large snowstorm and some well below freezing temperatures. I remember just before the light cam e on that the engine seemed to idle a little rough. I checked the owners manual and it said that if the light was on and was not flashing that it was usually something to do with the emissions and could be due to something getting very wet like driving through deep water etc. and could take a few drives to clear itself. I wrote it off as something caused by all the snow and cold weather. It just happened that i got my onstar diagnostics report and there was a warning in the emissions section. Driving home on Sunday i got Onsar to do a on demand diagnostics and they told me I had a misfire situation and should stop driving the car as soon as possible and get it to the dealer for a check up.

To make a long story short I checked the car using my OBDII and effectively it said there was a misfire on cylinder 3 and 6. I got the car to my dealer and they ended up changing the 6 fuel injectors as well as a few other small items for a total of over $2100. Of course my first three year bumper to bumper GM warranty was over but luckily I had purchased a 10 year extended ultra bumper to bumper warranty through the dealer. (cost me $3700 so I have got back more than half of the investment)

I have trouble believing that all 6 injectors went at the same time at only 21,800 miles. I asked the service rep and he told me the computer showed errors on all 6 injectors. After telling him about how crappy I thought the product was i asked why all 6 could go at the same time. He told me that dirt was one issue and that a refinery in our area had been closed recently due to having too much dirt in their gas. I said is that not what a fuel filter is for? He told me that there is no old style fuel filter and that there are just some fine mesh screens now for the injectors. he also told me that there was a product in our gas that they have started to phase out that causes the injectors to gum up. He told me it is important to have the injectors cleaned as per the gm suggested maintenance. I pointed out that I had very low mileage and was not even close to the suggested cleaning.

Is this normal or even possible - 6 injectors at this mileage? and how about the BS answer from the service rep?
Old 02-25-2015, 11:08 AM   #2
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
I would throw the BS flag on this one. OBD would have shown more codes and the multiple cylinder code. I would hope they did a upper induction cleaning. There was a instruction on this engine to do this on misfires at low mileage. I had the notice from the dealer but can't find it right now.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:44 AM   #3
Christok

there was no mention of this on the worksheet from what i can see but have to go back shortly for an oil change and a safety inspection so it would be good to have this info on hand to check
Old 02-25-2015, 10:00 PM   #4
RockerBox

Drives: 2010 Silverado. Stock height now
Some tech got paid to misdiagnose which injector was bad.
RockerBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:08 AM   #5
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Anything is possible, but unlikely. Its typical warranty work. The dealer knows they will get paid for the work, so they most likely just did the easiest possible repair with the highest possible pay for them. Ask them for the old injectors.

Hey if it fixed the problem, then all is good, if not then find a new place to take your car into, they will just nickel and dime you to death.
AGP TT kit, Alky Controll dual nozzel meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps,MSD BAP, FSP custom grind Turbo cam, Dual Valve springs, 25% SLP UDP, Vitesse Throttle Controller, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1400hp axles, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000 , ZL1 rear end conversion and line lock coming soon....Built and tuned with pride by FSP 747whp/714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:00 AM   #6
ZiG

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Eh you're better off if they replace them as a set anyway. Since it's not on your dime, why fuss if they want to throw some new parts at it?
ZiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:05 AM   #7
Evil-Bee-NH
WEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro 2LS
How much you wanna bet the injectors were fine and he got the multiple misfire from the oil and moisture entering the manifold and causing the A/F ratio to be off for an extended amount of time. My car does this almost every year it's a DD happened last year on the first good snow storm with below freezing temps i ran dry gas and fuel injector cleaner through it and it went off bout 100 miles later. Happened this year for a different reason which was my fault entirely forgot that the oil catch can fills up super quick in the winter because of the extra moisture i took my manifold off cleaned it down and seafoamed the intake afterwards just to be safe soon as i emptied the can the engine light went off guessing the air wasn't getting their fast enough. Maybe i'm wrong on my diagnosis but my car has done that exact same thing twice and he lives in similar weather.
Roto-Fab CAI | Ark N-II Exhaust | Elite Oil Catch Can | Setina Push Bumper | Vmax Ported TB | Vitesse Throttle Controller | VMax Ice-olator | EmblemPro's Custom Badges | Painted Underhood Accessories | Custom T3 Carbon Fiber Stripes | Vitesse Paddle Shifters
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:04 AM   #8
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
How much you wanna bet the injectors were fine and he got the multiple misfire from the oil and moisture entering the manifold and causing the A/F ratio to be off for an extended amount of time. My car does this almost every year it's a DD happened last year on the first good snow storm with below freezing temps i ran dry gas and fuel injector cleaner through it and it went off bout 100 miles later. Happened this year for a different reason which was my fault entirely forgot that the oil catch can fills up super quick in the winter because of the extra moisture i took my manifold off cleaned it down and seafoamed the intake afterwards just to be safe soon as i emptied the can the engine light went off guessing the air wasn't getting their fast enough. Maybe i'm wrong on my diagnosis but my car has done that exact same thing twice and he lives in similar weather.
Forgetting to empty the catch can scared the shit out of me, until I emptied it for the first time. I do my oil every 3k(I know, may be a waste but w/e diff subject) and it only had a little bit. But still, scary stuff. Where your catalytic converters ok?
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:33 AM   #9
Christok

I thought it could be my catch can being full and freezing up but when i emptied it after the light came on it was not even half full. Whether they change one or all six of the injectors it is the same cost for me so I prefer that they change all 6. What worries me is that it happened at such low mileage. Also my warranty had a pay me back a lot of money at the end of 10 years if the warranty was not used so now that that money won't be coming back to me the warranty will cover my timing belt change and another set of 6 injectors in another 22,00 miles LOL
Old 02-26-2015, 10:09 AM   #10
Evil-Bee-NH
WEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro 2LS
If you had enough in your can and the sludge dislodged from the bottom after a pot hole or large bump and got sucked upwards towards the strainer it would clog the airflow path a little. Everything you described is exactly what happened to me first time it was 32k abouts then again but my own fault it's part of the way the cars are made and where we live if your fine with them wasting all that money for no reason thats ok by me for your own piece of mind just wasn't really needed they misdiagnosed worse then if you'd gone into an autoparts store for a diagnosis in fact you sadly may have been better off..
Roto-Fab CAI | Ark N-II Exhaust | Elite Oil Catch Can | Setina Push Bumper | Vmax Ported TB | Vitesse Throttle Controller | VMax Ice-olator | EmblemPro's Custom Badges | Painted Underhood Accessories | Custom T3 Carbon Fiber Stripes | Vitesse Paddle Shifters
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote