Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
malave7567

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Fender bender, can this be PDR'ed?

So while waiting my turn to exit a parking lot, an old woman in a 2009 Caddy DTS backed into my passenger door, and scared the hell out of my wife as well. Anyway, the damage doesnt look horrible but it is right by the curvature for the door handle. Do you think a good PDR guy can get this ok alright?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Mmmm not sure. I had a dent about 1/4 that size and he got it out. That's pretty big tho. Maybe someone else will chime in wil more knowledge or experience.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
It should. Though He'll probably have to remove the interior door panel and pop it out that way. But I'm sure it can be repaired - maybe not perfect though.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
malave7567

The PDR guy I know did an amazing job on my mother's 2005 Accord and the damage was worse, but the body lines/creases are sharper on a Camaro... I just feel extremely frustrated. I bought this car exactly a month ago and its already damaged.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
pocketcthulhu

Drives: 2014 2ss/RS 5th gen Camaro #2
I hope you get her insurance, last time someone did that to me It cost their insurance 2.5k.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
malave7567

I do have her insurance, and I had a police report filed as well. She didn't want me to file the police report because she didn't want another accident on her record. She already was using some cheap-o insurance... I took a picture of her insurance card with my cell phone, took a picture of her license plate, and of the damage to my car. The officer was nice, everything was cut and dry. The report will be ready for pick-up on Wednesday. I will be calling my local branch of Allstate tomorrow as soon as they open, and letting them know that I will be giving them a copy of the report on Wednesday to show the accident was not my fault. This is exactly what happened when my RX-7 was hit, and my rates were unaffected.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Don't feel to bad it happens to a lot of us. I made the dealership buy back my first Camaro because the dealer sold it to me as new but it had $10,000 in repairs due to an unknown accident at the dealer. I bought another new Camaro and before I got my plates my neighbor took out my rear bumper. I have also had some other mishaps, something hit my door n dented it, then a curb mishap due to old people who can't drive and now a dent on my fender appeared out of nowhere. So it will be fixed for the fourth time in just a little over a year.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
malave7567

Man, that's some bad luck. Hoping I don't have to go through all that lol. But I know it happens to a lot of us... Just frustrating.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
Sickness91Z28
Heisenberg

Drives: Blown 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I HIGHLY doubt that can be PDR'd. Once metal stretches to much, it will not go back in shape. It'll bounce back in and out...it's what we call "oil canning". I wouldn't tackle this dent myself. Take it to a body shop, skin it and be done.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
malave7567

I take it in to the autoshop my insurance is affiliated with in town tomorrow for the estimate. The good thing is this shop does have a pretty good reputation in town. Just have to see what they say tomorrow afternoon...

and I understand what you mean by "oil-canning." I work in engineering/design... once that metal has been pushed past yielding... it loses a portion of its strength (depending on how far it was pushed). The dent may be big, but it looks very shallow. I wouldn't mind the guy popping it back out first and seeing how it's holding up before deciding to skin the door.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #11
malave7567

so since the date of this accident, I had the majority of the dent popped back out perfectly, but since there was some of it that couldn't be done, I scheduled a re-skin/re-paint. I finally drop the car back off on Monday, and it should be done by the end of the week. Below is a picture of how I've been driving around. It's WAY better than having a huge dent and everyone staring at me for two weeks, but I'll be glad when its completely fixed. The two red circles show areas where there are small indents still. The red rectangle shows where the door isn't completely flush with the rear quarterpanel. It's damn close, but when dealing with a brand new SS, damn close is not good enough.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #12
malave7567

Just got my car back yesterday afternoon. No pics, as I haven't gotten the chance to yet. Car looks great again. The door was re-skinned, the quarter panel, door, and fender were all painted together, and so far it looks like he did a great job. Once the weekend comes around, I will take my time rinsing the car off and examining everything much closer. Overall, satisfied with the job so far.