Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #18
Ir0nM4n


 
Ir0nM4n's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 1LE
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
No, if they really wanted a square set up done right, they should have used 10" wheels all around, the 285 stretched across the 11" wheel looks awful and looks like it is going to wear the tire quickly...I'll get the ZL1 Pedders or Pfadt rear sway bar, it'll be good when I'm done with it...
So your saying the engineers at Chevrolet did not use the correct approach?
That your approach is better and will give the Camaro better times? Im interested in this, how much more money will this cost.
__________________
Ir0nM4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #19
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team
 
So Cal Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sunny So Cal
Posts: 3,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINI HLK View Post
So your saying the engineers at Chevrolet did not use the correct approach?
That your approach is better and will give the Camaro better times? Im interested in this, how much more money will this cost.
I think if the square approach was the best way, why isn't it used on the ZL1? And yes, I don't like their approach to stretch the tire on the rear that much...best part is this is my Camaro and I'll mod it the way I want it...
__________________
So Cal Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #20
Mgizzle

 
Mgizzle's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 853
The reason it is not square on the zl1 is because it has torque everywhere, all the time, and putting anything more than 285 in the front will be undrivable steering wise.
__________________
I work for General Motors and am not an official spokes person for General Motors. My views and opinions are my own and not those of General Motors.
Mgizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #21
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team
 
So Cal Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sunny So Cal
Posts: 3,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
The reason it is not square on the zl1 is because it has torque everywhere, all the time, and putting anything more than 285 in the front will be undrivable steering wise.
You do realize we are talking about a mere 1" of tire width difference between a 285 and 305, hardly a big difference....
__________________
So Cal Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #22
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?
 
SUKXOST's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 3,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
Why are you going wider in the rear for winter, you will get less traction? Narrower is better for winter and snow. Pressure equals force over area. If you go narrower your contqct patch area is smaller, ur force is same because that is weight of vehicle. Hence, ur pressure on the contact patch is higher now which is good in slippery situations. Ur drag is also lower in deep snow with the narrower tire, providing better stability.
90% of the reason is not bc I think wider is better bc that's not the case. It's well known that the 1LE stock tires are HORRIBLE in cold weather and they won't last too long.

I'm mainly doing it for two reasons:
1: Save tread for my stockers for next year
2: The Continentals I got are high performance ALL WEATHER tires and have stellar reviews and will only use throughout the winter
__________________
My 1LE (645WHP/597WTQ) build/journal Thread:
1st ever 1LE COTW http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255461
SUKXOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #23
x1sniper3x
 
x1sniper3x's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 CRT 2SS/1LE; 2005 Cobalt
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edison, NJ
Posts: 618
From what I've read about the ZL1 Goodyears, the front 285's were designed to reduce understeer in the car, while the rear 305's were designed to gain traction on launch and put all of the ZL1's torque to the ground. The reason for having the 285's on all 4 corners was to further reduce understeer in the SS/1LE. Since the LS3 doesn't put out the torque of the LSA, there's not as much benefit to the rear tire tread.

All-in-all I'm extremely happy with the 285's all around. The rears don't look nearly as bad as some people say they do stretched over the 11" wheels. I think I've had 1 person even notice it so far.
__________________
x1sniper3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #24
CrystalRedTintcoat


 
CrystalRedTintcoat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bay Area, online, & in my 1LE
Posts: 2,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
I think if the square approach was the best way, why isn't it used on the ZL1? And yes, I don't like their approach to stretch the tire on the rear that much...best part is this is my Camaro and I'll mod it the way I want it...
Have you listened to Al Openheisser's explanation? They don't want too much traction on the rear.

"The reason (we stretched the same sized zl1 front tire on an 11" rear wheel) is that this is a track car. And for track you don't necessarily want to push that tire patch down by having downforce or too much grip in the back. It's contrary to trying to fix the understeer. We wanted to loosen up the slip and allow you to ring this thing out because in competitive mode this thing is a track car."

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=16nyCdbVdM8

Good luck with your overrides. Let us know if you have another method of fixing the understeer.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #25
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team
 
So Cal Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sunny So Cal
Posts: 3,537
Whatever, unless any of you have the driving skill of a Danny Popp or Mark Stielow, I seriously doubt your going to ring out this thing out to that point...

I am going to experiment with this Camaro until I get it where I want it...coilovers coming in the near future, bushings will be upgraded, CTSV front brakes and then lots of practice and adjustments till this Camaro reacts the way I want it too...

I am happy all you guys or girls are happy with your stock Camaro, but to quote Jesse James, "stock sucks"
__________________
So Cal Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #26
MARINE1991


 
MARINE1991's Avatar
 
Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: HOMELESS
Posts: 10,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
Whatever, unless any of you have the driving skill of a Danny Popp or Mark Stielow, I seriously doubt your going to ring out this thing out to that point...

I am going to experiment with this Camaro until I get it where I want it...coilovers coming in the near future, bushings will be upgraded, CTSV front brakes and then lots of practice and adjustments till this Camaro reacts the way I want it too...

I am happy all you guys or girls are happy with your stock Camaro, but to quote Jesse James, "stock sucks"
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #27
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Z06?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackinBlack View Post
Threads like this make me envision a GM engineer that worked on the 1LE package reading this and screaming at his monitor.

You guys are not concerned with upsetting the balance of the car? It would be interesting to have a skidpad done on the car with the square setup Vs 305s on the back.
I fully agree. Any changes you make have to be well thought out.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #28
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Z06?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
Whatever, unless any of you have the driving skill of a Danny Popp or Mark Stielow, I seriously doubt your going to ring out this thing out to that point...

I am going to experiment with this Camaro until I get it where I want it...coilovers coming in the near future, bushings will be upgraded, CTSV front brakes and then lots of practice and adjustments till this Camaro reacts the way I want it too...

I am happy all you guys or girls are happy with your stock Camaro, but to quote Jesse James, "stock sucks"
Talk to Pete with Pedders he'll get you where you wanna be
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #29
CrystalRedTintcoat


 
CrystalRedTintcoat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bay Area, online, & in my 1LE
Posts: 2,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
Whatever, unless any of you have the driving skill of a Danny Popp or Mark Stielow, I seriously doubt your going to ring out this thing out to that point...

I am going to experiment with this Camaro until I get it where I want it...coilovers coming in the near future, bushings will be upgraded, CTSV front brakes and then lots of practice and adjustments till this Camaro reacts the way I want it too...

I am happy all you guys or girls are happy with your stock Camaro, but to quote Jesse James, "stock sucks"
Lol. Seriously since you are breaking new ground, compared to someone who isn't skilled to do so, please let us know what works and doesn't. I'm going to hire a track guide/coach and get some time behind the wheel before painting outside the lines.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #30
scubadoo7
Airborne Recondo
 
scubadoo7's Avatar
 
Drives: Crystal Red 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fairfax Station Va.
Posts: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
90% of the reason is not bc I think wider is better bc that's not the case. It's well known that the 1LE stock tires are HORRIBLE in cold weather and they won't last too long.

I'm mainly doing it for two reasons:
1: Save tread for my stockers for next year
2: The Continentals I got are high performance ALL WEATHER tires and have stellar reviews and will only use throughout the winter
Which Continentals did you go with?
scubadoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #31
Brian 1LE SS
 
Drives: 98 Camaro SS
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
Whatever, unless any of you have the driving skill of a Danny Popp or Mark Stielow, I seriously doubt your going to ring out this thing out to that point...

I am going to experiment with this Camaro until I get it where I want it...coilovers coming in the near future, bushings will be upgraded, CTSV front brakes and then lots of practice and adjustments till this Camaro reacts the way I want it too...

I am happy all you guys or girls are happy with your stock Camaro, but to quote Jesse James, "stock sucks"
I agree,. You can do lots of changes to make it work better than stock. Bigger front tires, bigger rear sway bar or stiffer springs, alignment settings and even tire pressures can help.
I would recomend getting really familiar with your car the way it came, then make the changes to see if your going in the right direction.
Brian 1LE SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #32
Mgizzle

 
Mgizzle's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
You do realize we are talking about a mere 1" of tire width difference between a 285 and 305, hardly a big difference....
One inch is huuuuge. If it wasnt, GM wouldn't have wasted their time with releasing a new tire/wheel combo. In the front, 1 inch will completely change your steering tune. Name one car with 305's in the front? Rare, if even existent.

By the way wider tire increases your rolling resistance, same as a stiffer roll bar. Another reason you don't want wider in front.
__________________
I work for General Motors and am not an official spokes person for General Motors. My views and opinions are my own and not those of General Motors.
Mgizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #33
Brian 1LE SS
 
Drives: 98 Camaro SS
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
One inch is huuuuge. If it wasnt, GM wouldn't have wasted their time with releasing a new tire/wheel combo. In the front, 1 inch will completely change your steering tune. Name one car with 305's in the front? Rare, if even existent.

By the way wider tire increases your rolling resistance, same as a stiffer roll bar. Another reason you don't want wider in front.
Not always true. I run 315's on the front of my fourth gen and it corners like its on rails.
__________________
98 Camaro SS M6, a few mods
13 Ram R/T, tow vehicle
6th gen??
<a href=http://www.norcal-lsx.com/multimedia/data/500/562752_4054654816027_115782456_n.jpg target=_blank>http://www.norcal-lsx.com/multimedia...15782456_n.jpg</a>
Brian 1LE SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:14 AM   #34
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team
 
So Cal Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sunny So Cal
Posts: 3,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
One inch is huuuuge. If it wasnt, GM wouldn't have wasted their time with releasing a new tire/wheel combo. In the front, 1 inch will completely change your steering tune. Name one car with 305's in the front? Rare, if even existent.

By the way wider tire increases your rolling resistance, same as a stiffer roll bar. Another reason you don't want wider in front.
If you say so, in a 4,000lb car, a sliver more of tire width is not going to drastically change the handling...and GM didn't do much but decide they would stretch out a tire over a wider wheel....that's not much in the way of engineering...you worry about your 1LE and I'll take care of mine...
__________________
So Cal Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.