Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 11-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Exclamation Everything you need to know about our V8 CAI from Cold Air Inductions Inc.

Hello everyone,

I recently did a thread like this in the V6 sections and received a lot of positive response from it, so I figured I would carry it over to our V8 applications. We get a lot of questions regarding if our V8 CAI will fit the new 2013 applications. I think when these threads pop up by new members that it is easy for us as the ones who have been here for a long time to just say “Oh great, another V8 CAI thread” or my personal favorite “Use the search tool!” I’m just as guilty as the next guy, but I think we need to recognize and appreciate the fact that there are many new members who may be seeing this information for the first time, or perhaps is not familiar with search functionality and its use.

So here is some information that I hope some of you will find helpful regarding our V8 Camaro applications, I hope you find it informative.

I think I will start with one of the most common questions that have been asked lately, regarding the difference between the 2010-12 V8 Camaro and the 2013 V8 Camaro, in which our design had been adjusted so that it works properly with the 2013 vehicles.

Question: “What is the difference between the 2010-12 V8 CAI and the 2013 V8 CAI from Cold Air Inductions Inc.”

Answer: The ONLY difference in our CAI that we have added for the 2013 application compared to the previous 2010-2012 models is the fact that we have added a small notch into side of the airbox, next to the mounting tab, for a battery ground cable to route through. We have been informed by a few trusted speed shops that this new ground cable which can be found on the 2013 models can be re-routed so that it can travel a different path than how it comes from the factory. However, since we sella product that is a 100% bolt on that requires no additional modifications, we have added a small notch to the airbox that this ground cable can travel through, maintaining the same path of travel that is in place from the factory.

Here is a photo of the notch that we have added so you know where the cable can be routed through:

So to recap, there is a difference that we have added into the design of the CAI which will fit perfectly for the small change that has been made to the 2013 model. As far as the CAI is concerned, this is the ONLY difference. The rest of the fit, finish, and components of our CAI are the same as they have always been. I think it is important to note that the information above only pertains to the Cold Air Inductions Inc., Cold Air Intake system, and that other brands of intakes may be different.

If you have a 2010-2013 model V8 Camaro, the correct part # is 501-1099-10 (Near Chrome Finish) <OR> part # 501-1099-10B (Textured Black Finish).

Here are a few installed pictures in case you have not seen them before

Okay, so now that everyone realizes that our CAI will work for every V8 Camaro application from 2010 thru 2013, and that the only change to be compatible with the 2013 mocels has been added to our design, lets cover some of the basics of our Cold Air Intake system for you. I think that it is interesting that even people who “know” about our product are sometimes unaware of all the things we do any why we do them. Hopefully I can explain some of those things here for you, that way you have the knowledge readily available to you in the case that you are doing your research for which CAI is “best” for your Camaro. The features described below are pretty much incorporated into all of our designs, not just the V8 Camaro. Essentially, our entire design is centered on 3 main things, which are key to a good CAI, those 3 things are: Filtration, Airflow, and a low IAT (Intake Air Temperature).

Let’s start with the filter:

If you are anything like me, you would rather watch a cool short video to learn something as opposed to someone like myself rambling on and on about velocity stacks and filtration, so here you go:

A few main points that I would like to recap from the video:

- We engineer our own air filters which are specifically designed around your vehicle, its’ engine, and the CAI that we have designed for it. This means a custom filter to meet your vehicles specific needs and maximize filtration and flow.
- Our filters come pre-oiled ready to install, never need to be replaced, and can be “recharged” with a CAI Inc. recharge kit:
- Our filters include a built-in “velocity stack” as well as a “smooth bore tube stop” to reduce restriction and increase airflow.
- 8 layer interwoven cotton filter that can stop down to 5 microns

Moving on to the Airbox:

Our insulated airbox is an all-aluminum construction, which is TIG welded by hand, and features a removable lid. The airbox is enclosed so that it can pull the cooler ambient from outside of the vehicle, as opposed to sucking in the hot air found in your engine bay. Although it is enclosed, it features a removable lid that has a filter inspection window which allows for instant filter inspection and viewing without having to remove the lid. One of the things that really set our airbox apart from many of our competitors is that it has an added insulation barrier inside of it. What this insulation barrier does is helps to reduce heat soak from your engine bay. Essentially what our enclosed airbox does is pulls in the cooler ambient air from outside the vehicle, and then keeps that air as cool as possible with our enclosed and insulated airbox design.

One of the tools we use to ensure that are enclosed and insulated box is doing what it should be doing, is thermal imaging technology. This allows is one of the measuring tools that we use to see the difference between the temperature in the engine bay compared to the temperature and surface temperature inside of our airbox. I think this photo is a good representation of what I am talking about:

And then there is the Intake Tube:
When our engineers design the intake tube there are actually quite a few things that we have to factor in, essentially it revolves around reducing restriction, increasing airflow, incorporating your MAF housing, eliminating any CEL’s, and keeping that IAT as low as possible. Keeping that IAT as low as possible is crucially important in our mind, after all, your spending your hard earned money on a cold air intake aren’t you? Doesn’t it make sense to keep that air as cool as possible? We think so, which is why we ceramic coat our intake tubes in an additional effort to reduce heat soak. Since we started with the cooler ambient air from outside of the vehicle, brought it into an insulated and enclosed airbox, the airs path of travel through the intake tube and into your throttle body is our last chance to keep it cool, and our ceramic coating does just that. The ceramic coating keeps the heat on the outside of the intake tube, as opposed to soaking though and being pulled into the air traveling through the intake tube. Of course, heat soak cannot be completely eliminated, but our testing as well as data logging that many of our customers have done has shown our system to keep the IAT within 2 degrees of ambient air, which we are pretty proud of!

One of our sponsored vehicles belongs to Joshua Perrymon, winner of the NMCA Nitto Tire LSX 5th Generation Drag Racing Series (he is a member on this forum and has some threads floating around regarding the series). The main reason Josh approached CAI Inc. for his intake needs, he needed a way to maintain lower IAT’s during the heat of his race series. He did his own data logging and was very impressed with how our design and heat eliminating methods worked for his vehicle, and contributed to him taking 1st place overall in the series!

Fit and Finish:
All of our intake systems have a powder coat finish which adds excellent looks and added durability. We offer the powder coat finish in both a “Near Chrome” and “Textured Black” color. This powder coat is applied in addition to the ceramic coating on our intake tube, as well as to the airbox and lid. This makes everything match, allows for easy cleaning, and adds durability; after all this product does have a lifetime warranty! The fit of our intakes are second to none, they are custom made for your vehicles engine compartment, and they fit very “snug” and outline the contours of the engine bay very nicely.

The system includes everything you need to install it, requires only simple hand tools, is a 100% bolt-on meaning that you do not have to do any further modifications or changes to install it properly, and installs in less than 30 minutes even for the novice. We provide aircraft quality stainless clamps, custom made couplers and elbows that are very rigid and do not cave under high levels of vacuum, and detailed color instructions to assist you in your installation. You can also locate PDF’s and instructional videos on our website and through our social media sites.

A Proven CAI:
Everyone knows that there is a multitude of CAI’s available out there for your Camaro; we understand that and appreciate the level of competition that it brings to our market. We don’t get into why we are better than “company X” or what we feel “company x” does wrong or why there design may be faulted. All we can do is provide you with is the information about our product, show you why it makes sense to meet the goals that an effective CAI should be trying to accomplish, and let you make an educated purchase based off of that information.

CAI Inc. Dyno tests every application we offer, and we test with the hood closed to mimic real world driving conditions. We feel that by doing our Dyno test with the hood closed, and by advertising wheel HP numbers as opposed to inflated crank #’s, we are providing our customers with the most accurate information available.

Our system has been tested and proven by not only ourselves, but also from Speed Shops and consumers and shows a 16 RWHP gain over stock and even more with a tune (a tune is not required)!

The infamous Janetty Racing Results in which our CAI tested very well: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107002

Some other things to consider:
- All Cold Air Inductions Inc. CAI systems come with a LIFETIME WARRANTY.
- Our CAI will not and can not void your vehicles warranty per federal Law (see the Magnuson Moss act)
- Our products are MADE IN THE USA, just an hour north of the Motor City.
- NO TUNE is required for our cai
- NO CEL’S will result from adding our CAI (CEL means Check Engine Light for those of you unfamiliar)
- We are a company that depends on our reputation, therefore our product quality and our customer service is extremely important to us. WE STRIVE TO PROVIDE THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE POSSIBLE.
- We are not a “fly by night” company, we have been producing and shipping CAI’s for consumers since 2004
- We have many authorized dealers throughout North America that stand behind our product, and endorse it as a high quality performance driven CAI.

I hope that this information answers some of the more common questions that many of you have regarding our products, specifically for the V8 Camaro. Should you have any questions, feel free to contact us, we are always more than happy to help!

Last edited by Sales @ CAI Inc; 05-07-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: C7-Z06, Boss 302, Macan S
Very informative... Thank you! I am also VERY happy with my C.A.I. CAI

Now, my question... which is the correct way to fit the lid? I posted your 2 pics with red arrows indicating 2 different ways of fitments (flush vs. tucked).

And then a pic of mine... with my lid tucked under and I visually confirmed it's sealed. Can you clarify what is the correct fit/placement of the lid?
Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Last edited by Stingray; 11-13-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Great post Bill. Apex Motorsports is a proud distributor of CAI Inc intake systems. You can not find better combination of quality, performance inprovement, and customer service.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty5th View Post
Very informative... Thank you! I am also VERY happy with my C.A.I. CAI

Now, my question... which is the correct way to fit the lid? I posted your 2 pics with red arrows indicating 2 different ways of fitments (flush vs. tucked).

And then a pic of mine... with my lid tucked under and I visually confirmed it's sealed. Can you clarify what is the correct fit/placement of the lid?
Thanks in advance.
"Tucked" in between the lip of the inner fender well is correct so that the lid will sit all the way down and all 3 fasteners will attach. In the photo you referenced I believe the lid is not sitting on top of the edge, it is just right against it, which in some cases depending on the alignent of the box and a few other factors can happen. As long as you can attach the lid correctly and having it rest flat on the box, then it is correct. 99.9% of the time that will mean the lid "tucked" into that groove. I hope that helps!
Old 11-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
Juiced1
JUICED MOTORSPORTS

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Great write up Bill. Anyone on the fence about an intake needs to take a look right here.
Get more Power per Dollar!!!! We carry all the hot new products for your 5th gen! CAI, Roto-Fab, Solo, Corsa, MBRP, ARH, Stainless Works, MRT, SLP, Procharger, Whipple, BMR, Diablosport, Superchips, Street Scene, VFN Fiberglass and much more. Contact us for your Camaro5 discount today!
Call us at 224-63-JUICE - 224-400-5793
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
Jeffm
ICANHAZ

Drives: 2013 CRT 1SS/RS
well that kinda sucks i just bought a older model CAI for my 2013 SS
Jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
1989GTA

Drives: 1989 GTA Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffm View Post
Looks like about all you would have to do is file in a notch for the cable to clear.
1989GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
ForgedReality
Envy

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS - Black hood/hockey
Group buy? $200 off. ;D
ForgedReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:13 AM   #9
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
I am assuming by "older model" you mean a used one or one before the design change (which happened about 8 weeks ago). That being said you have 3 options:

1. Figure out how to re-route your battery ground cable by-passing the box (we have never done this firsthand but was told it is fairly easy)

2. Create a small notch in the box for the ground cable to travel through. This could be done fairly easily by use of a Drill, Dremel, file, or any metal cutting device. The grrove it needs is not large, so it should be relatively easy to create.

3. Sell that system and buy a new one that has the design change. (Everything that CAI has on the shelf is new design, if purchasing through a dealer you may want to confirm that in case they have old stock sitting on their shelf.

I hope this info helps! Thanks for choosing CAI Inc.!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
I love my CAI. Two years and counting.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System;
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #11
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1951 Mercury
We've got a CAI V8 intake in Project Heavy Chevy, which was covered in the last issue of Camaro Now. Great product, and other racers at the track love the sealed aspect of it when they see it at the track.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@113 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
__.__@___ 1.__ | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #12
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
We've got a CAI V8 intake in Project Heavy Chevy, which was covered in the last issue of Camaro Now. Great product, and other racers at the track love the sealed aspect of it when they see it at the track.
Keeping hot air from the engine bay out of the intake is critical and the CAI Inc systems do a great job in that area. Heat soak is another thing that racers will know something about and no other intake on the market does as much to prevent it (if anything at all) as these systems do.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #13
Ricamaro

Drives: RocketZed Red13
Hello CAI Bill;

Any retrofit option forthcoming that will allow a '10 LS3 unit to be used in a '13 ZL1 LSA?
Ricamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #14
bluetooth-ss

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS A6 and 2005 TITAN
Very informative.Had mine over two years now and love it.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #15
Jeffm
ICANHAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
I am assuming by "older model" you mean a used one or one before the design change (which happened about 8 weeks ago). That being said you have 3 options:

1. Figure out how to re-route your battery ground cable by-passing the box (we have never done this firsthand but was told it is fairly easy)

2. Create a small notch in the box for the ground cable to travel through. This could be done fairly easily by use of a Drill, Dremel, file, or any metal cutting device. The grrove it needs is not large, so it should be relatively easy to create.

3. Sell that system and buy a new one that has the design change. (Everything that CAI has on the shelf is new design, if purchasing through a dealer you may want to confirm that in case they have old stock sitting on their shelf.

I hope this info helps! Thanks for choosing CAI Inc.!
Can i get a big pic of the part that needs to be cut so i can show it to my guy that does that?
Old 11-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #16
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricamaro View Post
Hello CAI Bill;

Any retrofit option forthcoming that will allow a '10 LS3 unit to be used in a '13 ZL1 LSA?
We should have our ZL1 system wrapped up very soon. Once we do we can look at an upgrade option, similiar to our other S/C upgrade system. Until the design is finished I can't be sure.

Quote:
Can i get a big pic of the part that needs to be cut so i can show it to my guy that does that?
Look at the 2 pics in my original thread above, there is a picture showing the notch from each side. You could even get it made a little smaller and still have it fit.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:25 AM   #17
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Do you offer your systems with a dry cone filter? I have used oiled filters before on other cars and had nothing but bad luck. I hate "recharging" a filter because you never know if you have too little oil or too much.

How bad would the flow be reduced going to a dry type cone filter?
Old 11-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #18
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
Do you offer your systems with a dry cone filter? I have used oiled filters before on other cars and had nothing but bad luck. I hate "recharging" a filter because you never know if you have too little oil or too much.

How bad would the flow be reduced going to a dry type cone filter?
We do not offer dry filters nor have we testet our specific filter in a dry filter media. If you don't like to recharge the filter you don't need to, our filter comes pre-oiled and we offer replacement filters and you will still get around 25k miles or so out of it before having to replace it. It's not just about the fact that it is oiled, it is about the fact that our filters have unique design elemts as shown in the video above and have been custom engineered around our CAI and your engine. We sell about 3k oiled filters every year and have never had a single issue. Hopefully that helps.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #19
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
It's WORTH IT to get the scoop and washer bottle relocation kit. Don't cheat yourself, just do it.

Chase at Apex did an awesome job of hooking me up with a great deal on the package.

Love my CAI!
Old 11-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #20
Rornls3

Drives: 2010 RJTC 2SS RS/SS LS3
Thumbs up

Great product! I was amazed at the quality of the product the minute I opened the box. It's not the same quality as 15 years ago with intakes and smooth intake lids for LS1s - hahaha! No cheap plastic or anything flimsy. It is worth every penny in function and form. Awesome job CAI Inc.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #21
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
mine will be in tomorrow, as soon as i get home from work it will be going on along with the apex air scoop, cant wait!!
Old 11-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #22
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPFREEKSCOTTY View Post
It's WORTH IT to get the scoop and washer bottle relocation kit. Don't cheat yourself, just do it.

Chase at Apex did an awesome job of hooking me up with a great deal on the package.

Love my CAI!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rornls3 View Post
Great product! I was amazed at the quality of the product the minute I opened the box. It's not the same quality as 15 years ago with intakes and smooth intake lids for LS1s - hahaha! No cheap plastic or anything flimsy. It is worth every penny in function and form. Awesome job CAI Inc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
mine will be in tomorrow, as soon as i get home from work it will be going on along with the apex air scoop, cant wait!!
Thank you! We really appreciate your support and are glad that you are so happy with your Cold Air Intake kits from Cold Air Inductions Inc.!
Old 11-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #23
Jeffm
ICANHAZ

the top right hand part of the housing i had to bend all the way in so that it would fit into the bay and over the screw. the rubber part along the edge of the lid i had to remove so that it would fit on top of the housing. worst fitting thing i have ever dealt with the little indention part for the grounding cable wasnt even an issue. IM wondering if the guy who sold me this thing sold me a v-6 unit and not a v8 unit.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #24
Silver-SS

Drives: 2012 2SS RS
I'd like to add 2 things. I have your CAI with a scoop and we relocate and think its great. Top notch quality and easy to install. My other statement concerns your thermal image. I use it for work and something I was and probably others might be surprised to find out is that thermal imaging can't see through objects that are clear like glass or plexi. Makes sense once you think about it, but it reads the surface temp of the plexi/glass. So how are you reading the temp of the inside of the intake with the top on in that pic? Just a question I always wanted to ask when I see that pic. Thanks.
Silver-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #25
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
the top right hand part of the housing i had to bend all the way in so that it would fit into the bay and over the screw. the rubber part along the edge of the lid i had to remove so that it would fit on top of the housing. worst fitting thing i have ever dealt with the little indention part for the grounding cable wasnt even an issue. IM wondering if the guy who sold me this thing sold me a v-6 unit and not a v8 unit.
The box and lid fitment should be identical for the V6 or V8. When we ship the unit out the lid is attached to the CAI box, meaning that our box and lid align with eachother correctly. If you bought your system used there is a chance that something was bent a bit causing the fasteners to not line up properly. Also sometime the edge trim that wraps the engine bay of the vehicle is pushed to far up along the driver side making it to where the lid can not fit properly into the groove on the inner fender well, causing it to not align properly with the airbox.

Nothing should ever need to be modified on our CAI for proper fitment. We sell thousands upon thousands of Camaro CAI's every year and have never had one that will not fit properly when installed correctly. There are some troubleshooting and installation techniques as well as some images that can be supplied from our customer support which always solves the problem. The problem is that before people call us and get the help they need to install it easily and properly, people assume something is wrong with the CAI and start changin it or forcing it which causes things to bend and not align properly.

I am not saying that you did this, but maybe the person before you did. Regardless, our systems will always fit correctly because they are made to the identical spec, so if one didn't fit then none of them would fit. If you want some assistance in getting it installed properly give us a call next week after the Holiday and we can take care of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-SS View Post
I'd like to add 2 things. I have your CAI with a scoop and we relocate and think its great. Top notch quality and easy to install. My other statement concerns your thermal image. I use it for work and something I was and probably others might be surprised to find out is that thermal imaging can't see through objects that are clear like glass or plexi. Makes sense once you think about it, but it reads the surface temp of the plexi/glass. So how are you reading the temp of the inside of the intake with the top on in that pic? Just a question I always wanted to ask when I see that pic. Thanks.
I would have to ask the engineer to be sure, I was not there and the specific picture you are referring to is quite old! I am 99% sure that they had everything closed up and running with the glass on top of the lid rather than the normal bottom placement, opened up the hood, removed the glass, and did the thermal imaging. I will try and verify that for you next week, we are on a limited time schedule this week due to the holiday. Hopefully that helps!