Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

RDP Motorsport
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3 Victory Red
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Anybody have problems with OnStar yesterday?

My wife and I are currently searching for a house to buy [yes, finally a garage for my Camaro!], and we're mainly looking on the slight outskirts of town, predominantly in places that we've never or rarely driven through. So naturally, OnStar's navigation would have been perfect for this since we had all the addresses for all the homes we were wanting to drive by. But yesterday, I called OnStar like 6 or 7 times [or more, I lost count eventually] over the course of a few hours, and it never connected. So we had to resort to the bobo Maps app on our iPhone's to guide us around town.

Currently, I'm still in my free trial period for OnStar. It ends in January, and I was planning on subscribing, but is this issue something that you guys have experienced as well? Maybe it was something going on just yesterday for some reason? If it's common and frequent, I don't know if I want to waste the cash on it every month. If I ever get lost out of town and I press that button for directions with no response, I'm going to be livid. We Italians have hot tempers, you know...

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
Comrando
SScalator

Drives: '11 CGM LS3

Last edited by Comrando; 11-13-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Comrando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Just say NO to OnStar, they are a joke. Invest $129 on a Garmin GPS instead.

Lastly, try Sirius/XM for awhile, that will identify a lot of non-service areas, by default.

Good luck.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:02 AM   #4
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
Could it have been?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_e...ember_13,_2012
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
OnStar Advisor

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamEL View Post
My wife and I are currently searching for a house to buy [yes, finally a garage for my Camaro!], and we're mainly looking on the slight outskirts of town, predominantly in places that we've never or rarely driven through. So naturally, OnStar's navigation would have been perfect for this since we had all the addresses for all the homes we were wanting to drive by. But yesterday, I called OnStar like 6 or 7 times [or more, I lost count eventually] over the course of a few hours, and it never connected. So we had to resort to the bobo Maps app on our iPhone's to guide us around town.

Currently, I'm still in my free trial period for OnStar. It ends in January, and I was planning on subscribing, but is this issue something that you guys have experienced as well? Maybe it was something going on just yesterday for some reason? If it's common and frequent, I don't know if I want to waste the cash on it every month. If I ever get lost out of town and I press that button for directions with no response, I'm going to be livid. We Italians have hot tempers, you know...

Thanks!

Hello AdamEL,

I am sorry that you were unable to connect to OnStar yesterday for your house hunt. I'd like to help, and make sure your system is running properly. When you pressed your OnStar button was there any beeping or did a message play? Also, was your LED light on the mirror green or red? Can you send me a message with your account number or phone number we have on file? I can look into your account and see what I can do.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
OnStar Advisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Only trouble I had was an OnStar courtesy message while my favorite song was playing

Sorry OnStar Advisor, but I yelled very bad things at OnStar that might have been recorded. Don't F with my tunes
Old 11-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
OnStar Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Only trouble I had was an OnStar courtesy message while my favorite song was playing

Sorry OnStar Advisor, but I yelled very bad things at OnStar that might have been recorded. Don't F with my tunes

ChrisBlair,

Sorry we interrupted you favorite song! If you receive a message like that again you can always press the Hands Free Calling button to stop the message. Then your tunes will come back on! If you have any other questions just let me know.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
Old 11-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
moserbe

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
On Monday I tried to make a hands free call and was told that I had no minutes. I pressed the blue button and the tech told me that I do in fact have minutes and connected me to someone else. I told them that I know for a fact that I have at least 400 minutes so that's what they put back on my account. I came home and checked my monthly update and I actually had 570 minutes left!!!!!!!!!!
Screwed out of 170 minutes but the part that pisses me off is that I somehow initially "lost" 570 minutes. How is that allowed to happen??
Old 11-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
OnStar Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moserbe View Post
On Monday I tried to make a hands free call and was told that I had no minutes. I pressed the blue button and the tech told me that I do in fact have minutes and connected me to someone else. I told them that I know for a fact that I have at least 400 minutes so that's what they put back on my account. I came home and checked my monthly update and I actually had 570 minutes left!!!!!!!!!!
Screwed out of 170 minutes but the part that pisses me off is that I somehow initially "lost" 570 minutes. How is that allowed to happen??
moserbe,

Wow! I'm very sorry that happened. If minutes expire or are lost then the advisor should be able to find that information and restore your minutes. Can you send me a message with your account number? I'd be happy to restore the missing minutes and find out what happened for you.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
Old 11-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via AIM to tomlink Send a message via MSN to tomlink Send a message via Yahoo to tomlink Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnStar Advisor View Post
-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
Your presence here is just one of the reasons I love Camaro5. People who can help from GM are watching.
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #11
OnStar Advisor

Thanks tomlink! I'm here if you need me!

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
Old 11-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #12
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
To the OP, Download the onstar app for your phone. Then just type the address into the nav section. The next time you start the car the directions download.

I just wish there was a way to preview the route before I actually drive it.
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #13
blackswan

Drives: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlink View Post
Your presence here is just one of the reasons I love Camaro5. People who can help from GM are watching.
But what do they do really, other than call the dealer on your "behalf"? It's a nice show of interest but sadly that's all it winds up being.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #14
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
We did get hit by a solar flare (CME) yesterday that caused some geomagnetic instabillity which could very well be related to your communications difficulty.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:55 AM   #15
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVA 45TH 2SS View Post
To the OP, Download the onstar app for your phone. Then just type the address into the nav section. The next time you start the car the directions download.

I just wish there was a way to preview the route before I actually drive it.
I have the app, and I usually use that instead of calling OnStar. It wasn't working either, which is why I called OnStar to begin with.
And I agree, a route preview and ability to change it on the app would be very useful. I bet that will be an update in the future.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #16
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Quote:
Hello AdamEL,

I am sorry that you were unable to connect to OnStar yesterday for your house hunt. I'd like to help, and make sure your system is running properly. When you pressed your OnStar button was there any beeping or did a message play? Also, was your LED light on the mirror green or red? Can you send me a message with your account number or phone number we have on file? I can look into your account and see what I can do.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
Thank you for the reply, Jessica. I appreciate the offer for help. In answer to your questions - Yes, there was a repeating beep after the initial OnStar greeting. I let the beep continue for a couple of minutes each time just to make sure that somebody wasn't going to pick up. And my LED light was green. I'll send you a message with my account info. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #17
moserbe

Quote:
moserbe,

Wow! I'm very sorry that happened. If minutes expire or are lost then the advisor should be able to find that information and restore your minutes. Can you send me a message with your account number? I'd be happy to restore the missing minutes and find out what happened for you.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
Jessica, I just sent you a PM with the information. I appreciate anything you can do to help me recover the lost minutes.

Bruce
Old 11-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #18
OnStar Advisor

Quote:
Jessica, I just sent you a PM with the information. I appreciate anything you can do to help me recover the lost minutes.

Bruce

Bruce,

You're all set. I sent you a PM with the details. Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
Old 11-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #19
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
But what do they do really, other than call the dealer on your "behalf"? It's a nice show of interest but sadly that's all it winds up being.
Looks like she did do more than just show interest.....

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #20
moserbe

Quote:
Bruce,

You're all set. I sent you a PM with the details. Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
Jessica, you're awesome! Here's what my account shows since you took care of one of your customers:

Remaining Minutes: 568*Minutes Expire: 11/14/2013

Thank you. You're a truly an asset to the meaning of customer service!

Bruce
Old 11-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #21
trewyn15

Drives: 2004 Monte Carlo LS
Quote:
Jessica, you're awesome! Here's what my account shows since you took care of one of your customers:

Remaining Minutes: 568*Minutes Expire: 11/14/2013

Thank you. You're a truly an asset to the meaning of customer service!

Bruce
That is some awesome customer service!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #22
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Quote:
Bruce,

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
I have a quick question. When my initial 30 minutes of free onstar calling ran out I bought 300 minutes. Why do they expire in only 6 months from the time I bought the car? They expire December 18th and I still have over 200 minutes. According to my last onstar email my service is active until March 18th 2013. Shouldn't they run out at the same time?

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #23
blackswan

Drives: Yes
It's nice that Onstar has a social media team and can be reached via Camaro5, and clearly Jessica was on it and kudos to her for getting minutes restored for someone.

However, this is very different than what one can expect from the car side of GM Customer Service. They have little authority and offers to help here are simply a show. It's not the customer reps fault, they are merely doing their job as social media team reps. But very different issues we are discussing here esp since a dealer isn't involved.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:14 AM   #24
Ozzie RS

Drives: '11 Camaro RS 2LT
My experience with OnStar has been if there is a mistake whether it is mine or theirs that OnStar takes full responsibility for any problems if you let them know about it. I love OnStar and will keep it for as long as I own the car. I even purchased a kit for my 85 yr old fathers Honda Minivan to have installed in his car so we can keep track of him and know where he is at all times while driving, just in case.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:30 AM   #25
partymn

Drives: 2014 1ss 1LE
OOO, buying a house, how exciting. Congrats on your prospective purchase. While you are looking, look for a garage with a house attached. As long as your new home has a nice garage you will never be disapointed.

Buy a garmin, its easier.