Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
G8s on their way

From Edmunds.com:

Fresh off the Boat: 2008 Pontiac G8 Arriving in the U.S.

Date posted: 01-17-2008

SANTA MONICA, Calif. — With Job 1 officially behind them, the first shipment of 2008 Pontiac G8s is currently floating its way from Australia to the United States. A total of four ships will soon arrive in Northern California's Benicia port, with the first ship expected on January 28. Aboard will be 1,800 new G8 sedans, a 50/50 mix of the 3.6-liter V6 G8 and the 362-horsepower 6.0-liter V8 G8 GT.

The G8 is expected to arrive in Pontiac showrooms by March 1, with West Coast dealers likely to receive their cars first due to the San Francisco Bay Area arrival port. General Motors used the same port for the Australian-built Pontiac GTO that GM imported briefly from 2004-'06. Pontiac says it will have 7,000 G8s on U.S. soil at launch, and expects to reach an annual sales volume of 40,000 cars in a full production year.

Customers won't necessarily have to wait for the G8 of their choice to be configured on the Australian production line, but instead may choose a G8 that is already in transit. Craig Bierley, Pontiac marketing director said, "The dealers and plant are so far apart, orders would take a lot of time. Instead, we've configured cars 11 different ways, and dealers will be able to use a "tagging tool" to choose cars that are already on the boat and reduce the order lead time."

With few available options, the top-of-the-line G8 GT tops out just under $33,000.

What this means to you: Pontiac is anxious to get the G8 from Down Under to your local dealer as quickly as possible. — Kelly Toepke, News Editor

stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Top-of-the line GT, with all the trimmings comes in at 33k? Impressive.

So... Now we get to factor in a few things:

1: Generally, Pontiacs are 500-1000 dollars more expensive than their counterparts.
2: Camaro will (probably) have a more powerful motor. (but that doesn't mean it will cost more to make i.e. The LS3 is cheaper to produce than the LS2 was)
3: Camaro is a two-door coupe, not a big-a$$ 4-door sedan(saloon)
4: Generally, no matter how you package the options, they don't differ very much from brand-to-brand.

So...chances of seeing a fully-equipped V8 Camaro (not the GT500 killer) for 33k??

Pretty damn good!!!

Oh, and I WILL be checking one of these out. Just because.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:10 PM   #3
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I'll have to head out to Benecia on Feb 1st to check out the lot where they keep the f.o.b. cars. I will probably be able to borrow my mom's telephoto lense and see if I can get some good shots.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:44 PM   #4
stovt001

Feb 1st is my birthday!

And Dragon, that's what I've been saying all along. The G8 has told us so many good things about what the Camaro will be. Remember also that a base GT comes with upgraded audio, auto AC, etc. Freaking WOW.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:40 AM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Top-of-the line GT, with all the trimmings comes in at 33k? Impressive.

So... Now we get to factor in a few things:

1: Generally, Pontiacs are 500-1000 dollars more expensive than their counterparts.
2: Camaro will (probably) have a more powerful motor. (but that doesn't mean it will cost more to make i.e. The LS3 is cheaper to produce than the LS2 was)
3: Camaro is a two-door coupe, not a big-a$$ 4-door sedan(saloon)
4: Generally, no matter how you package the options, they don't differ very much from brand-to-brand.

So...chances of seeing a fully-equipped V8 Camaro (not the GT500 killer) for 33k??

Pretty damn good!!!

Oh, and I WILL be checking one of these out. Just because.

Everything he just said X2!!!
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:26 AM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I've said it before, the G8 is Camaro's big brother. Any test drive taken in the G8 will be similar to the Camaro, but the Camaro will be somewhat sportier level for level. The other thing is pricing, which was already brought up. The price for the G8 starts at 27 595 for base, 29 995 for the GT. I have no idea how that will translate into the Camaro. The Mustang GT starts at 26k, soooo I am splitting the differance and saying that the equivelent V8 Camaro will be 28k. Similarly, the base V6 should be in the area of 21-25k, depending on horsepower. ~200 hp it will be lower,~250 hp it may be higher. Hmm, perhaps I should copy and paste that into the pricing thread . . .

After all that, its cool that the G8 is literally on its way. They are very nice cars, gonna be nice to see the comparisons against the Charger and others this summer

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:40 AM   #7
stovt001

Yup, I can't wait to see the comparison tests against the Charger and/or 300. I don't think there are really any other competitors. V8 powered, full size RWD sedans for under $30K? I can't think of anything else. I'd love to see Ford enter a competitor.