Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:23 AM   #1
otter

Drives: Eastbound and Down
Detailing as therapy

I was wondering if anyone uses detailing their car as therapy or just a chance to forget the troubles of the day for awhile.

I needed to wash my car today as I took it on a road trip and got caught in some rain. I was just going to do a quick two bucket wash, but it was nice out and I just didn't want to leave my car and deal with work and kids and everything else. I ended up spending two hours on my car. I knew it was time to stop when I started to organize my glove box.

It was a good way to spend my morning.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 11-15-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
swizlstik

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
Detailing is my Zen. I get very stressed with my job, but when I start a detail, it's just me and the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
I absolutely agree. When I am stressed, a waterless wash is a quick and easy way to remove the stress.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
oh yea. 100%. bad day = washing the car.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Right here! I've always said that detailing is my therapy.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #6
Indy Bumble Bee

Drives: Beest
Detailing is very relaxing for me. I mean it is like treating your baby to a nice evening on the town. She gets all beautified and then you take her out and drive her around town with a big smile on your face. It is very satisfying taking care of such an important piece of ourselves.
Indy Bumble Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Therapeutic is how I always describe it to my wife. I can totally relate.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
Jeffm
ICANHAZ

Drives: 2013 CRT 1SS/RS
absolutely
Jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Count me in!

Detailing is always something that I use as therapy / meditation... put some music on and 'fix something'... its a good feeling to see your progress, your results, and get that instant gratification.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
Brandon_Lutz

Drives: 2012 Inferno Orange 1SS/RS
Last week I took 3 vacation days from work to help wind down. On those 3 days I detailed my best friends 2005 Mercury Sable. It was a 3 day project as A LOT had to be done to it.

I would start at 12 each day and take my time and end at around 8:30 each night. During the entire process my buddy would say to me "Dude you don't have to do this, this is a lot of work!"

Yes it was a lot of work, but it was relaxing to me. Cleared my mind for 3 days and brought that beat up paint job back to close as perfection as possible over the course of 3 days.

Every time I would go around the car getting a panel back to a smooth look and compare it to the next scratched up panel, I could only smile. On top of that, I did it for free as a birthday gift to my friend.

The funny thing that started it was getting his windows clear again. About 4 years ago, he was working out of state tearing down plants. He and his crew parked their cars outside of the plant they were tearing down and some kind of fallout from a steam tower covered their vehicles. It etched/stained the paint and glass. Supposedly his company sent their vehicles to a "pro" detailer who couldn't even get the glass clean again. Once I was done his paint was glossy and his windows clear

After trying several thins himself he could never get the glass clean nor the paint so he literally gave up. The car had not been washed and detailed in 4 years until this past week. His company did replace the windshield so he could at least see forward. I was more happy than he was once I was done to be honest lol.

Not only his his car cleaned and shiney again, his glass is back to being clear and I can rest easier at night knowing that when he goes down the road with his wife and kids, he will be safer because he can actually see out all of his windows now.

Last edited by Brandon_Lutz; 11-15-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Brandon_Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
swizlstik

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_Lutz View Post
Last week I took 3 vacation days from work to help wind down. On those 3 days I detailed my best friends 2005 Mercury Sable. It was a 3 day project as A LOT had to be done to it.

I would start at 12 each day and take my time and end at around 8:30 each night. During the entire process my buddy would say to me "Dude you don't have to do this, this is a lot of work!"

Yes it was a lot of work, but it was relaxing to me. Cleared my mind for 3 days and brought that beat up paint job back to close as perfection as possible over the course of 3 days.

Every time I would go around the car getting a panel back to a smooth look and compare it to the next scratched up panel, I could only smile. On top of that, I did it for free as a birthday gift to my friend.

The funny thing that started it was getting his windows clear again. About 4 years ago, he was working out of state tearing down plants. He and his crew parked their cars outside of the plant they were tearing down and some kind of fallout from a steam tower covered their vehicles. It etched/stained the paint and glass. Supposedly his company sent their vehicles to a "pro" detailer who couldn't even get the glass clean again. Once I was done his paint was glossy and his windows clear

After trying several thins himself he could never get the glass clean nor the paint so he literally gave up. The car had not been washed and detailed in 4 years until this passed week. His company did replace the windshield so he could at least see forward. I was more happy than he was once I was done to be honest lol.

Not only his his car cleaned and shiney again, his glass is back to being clear and I can rest easier at night knowing that when he goes down the road with his wife and kids, he will be safer because he can actually see out all of his windows now.
Great read! You're a good friend too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #12
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
It's just something I love to do, definitely not because of stress or therapy
Old 11-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
LikaRokBowTie

Drives: 2014SilveradoCCZ71
It's more fun and relaxing when you detail nude,here I'll put up some pix
LikaRokBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #14
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
I started my yearly paint correction yesterday, will have it completed by Sunday.

Yesterday - Wash and clay
Today - Adams SHR & FMP
Tomorrow - Adams MSS
Sunday - Glaze and Americana

Monday, sit back and admire the beauty
Old 11-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #15
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
My new Thursday morning routine is detailing my car. Prior to this it was golf.... 100 bucks spent on a frustrating morning filled with grief and dismay......
Now it’s me the car some tunes and genuine bliss from a job well done and time well spent.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #16
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Washing, waxing, detailing, vacuuming, changing the oil, small mods, any mods or time spent near, around or in the Camaro are all means to relax and unwind.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:12 AM   #17
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS
Therapy for sure. There is some satisfaction outside the garage or driveway when you take the car out and people ask if its new. I was having conversation with me neighbor yesterday and when I told him the car was 3 years old, he didn't believe me.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #18
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS Convertible
It is my stress relief. My wife thinks I am crazy. Spending quiet time in the garage is great

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #19
spaznasty

Drives: 2012 camaro 2LS
absolutelly man, thats me all day
Old 11-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #20
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
It certainly can be. When it's your own car and you have all the time in the world to spend on it. When it's a job, it can be the opposite when your freaking clients want a 2 day job done in 8 hours.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #21
Blues45th

Drives: 45th anniversary edition v6 3.6L
So never do e a full detail I mean my old car I coated and waxed so no idea where to start. I'm gonna ask for a pc for holidays but I need to do it sooner so by hand. What's the best for me and where do I get. I wanna order tonight. Pm me please.
Blues45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #22
Hercules

Drives: 13 ZL1 1091, 04 Ram 2500, 12 CX9
Number one stress release for me has always been washing, waxing, vacuuming anything to do with a car. Wife and kids know not to bother me.
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #23
TwoSS

Drives: 2013 Summit White 2SS/RS
Good to know I'm not alone! My friends would all rather pay someone to wash their cars. It's so relaxing and therapeutic to me.
TwoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #24
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
I'm right there with you all. Detailing is a great relaxer. Not to mention some good mild exercise too.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #25
RS4DS

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
I feel the same way. My wife says I am crazy. I tell her 'her bath is relaxing to her, washing the car is relaxing to me". I can block just about anything around me out when I am washing the cars.

Dan
RS4DS is offline   Reply With Quote