Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
tandtperformance.com
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Chevy Camaro vs... Comparison of Chevy Camaro versus its competition. *NO STREET RACING STORIES*

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2009, 03:35 AM   #1
vetteman
 
Drives: vette
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 43
My review of the SS (vs Vette, Challenger, Mustang)

I recently rented a SS at Budget Beverly Hills. I have a SS on order and wanted to make sure it was worth keeping my order.

Let me say this first my daily driver is a new ZR1 so keep this in mind what m used to:

The car looks great as we all know. It attracted attention wherever I went from young to old - everyone loves the look of this car. In the land of Bentleys, Astons and Maseratis - this car attracts more attention than any of those combined in LA - this is saying a lot about its design

Overall I liked the car a lot and am looking foreword to mine (Black SS with Cyber stripes) coming in a week or two. While I list a few dislikes its all nit picky but seems to be consensus for most reviews and forum members so why does GM not get these things right in development?

Likes:

Looks - Budget also had orange which was far cooler in person than any pics. Very retro. Any color looks great in this car really

Wheels - big and thick - great looking

Drive- the car is very smooth and a great daily driver for anyone. much more planted than the Dodge Challenger I also recently rented.

Steering Wheel - nice size and thick (could be even thicker)

Back Seats - plenty of room for my kids and their booster seats - dont underestimate the importance of this for anyone with kids

Controls- everything is easy to use and intuitive

Express up AND down windows for both windows - HUGE in my book




Dislikes: No major overall - I would classify these as things that could be improved:


Interior Door handle - is not deep enough - should be able to wrap you hand around a handle top open close it

Door opener/closer - located too far down for such a big door.

Not offering Nav is just odd and unacceptable in 2010 (Very GM). I read this is coming soon

I read heads up is coming later in model year and this will be great

Seats - I recently read a review that said they thought the seats were intended for the over 200 pound wide crowd. I agree 100%. They are just not supportive enough (lower back) and too wide. I am not a fan of these kind of seats where the front and back of seat operate independently - hard to explain but just not very flexible in getting the "right" position.

Also, not having a button to press that puts seat foreword all the way to access rear makes getting in the rear a pain in the XXX - Even a manual would be nice. This is big oversight and im not the only one to mention it

Rear view mirror - I have seen this addressed also on this forum - its too tall (on star button part) and blocks the little visibility. Took a few days to get used to it which I did.

Atomatic shifter -(weakest part of the design) looks like it was taken from the parts bin from a Hummer - just does not go with rest of car and the cheap plastic surround could be much nicer. Im hoping for an aftermarket kit which im sure there will be. A chrome option for the interior would be great and cool. im sure its coming at some point

Driving:

Nice. smooth as can be - Sure I would like it if it handled better but its very good.

Would also be nice for a louder engine or exhaust similar to vette that opens up as you go faster - the SS is just dying for this and im sure it will come later. its just too quiet for 400HP+ engine.

Stereo:

Fine - what you expect in a camaro

Overall:

anyone that owned a camaro (like me) or wants one for the first time wont be disappointed it looks great, drives great and is fun. You feel young and remember the good ol days when driving this car.

Side notes:

I recently rented a Challenger RT - cant beat the looks but the interior is just crap and the car floats like a 1970s car.

Recently test drove 2010 Mustang GT. I like this car - I like the looks and the interior is better than the Camaro - more upscale and no comparison with features.Nav/etc. But the Camaro is fresh and meaner looking. Both great cars.

I have owned many Vettes, Z51, convertibles and now ZR1. You cant compare a Camaro SS to a Vette. The vette is a vette. handles better, drives better, sportier, faster, better sounding exhaust, you name it and the vette is better. but you get what you pay for and at the price of the SS its a bargain. (as is the vette at its price)
vetteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:48 AM   #2
Gentry78
HOOK'EM
 
Gentry78's Avatar
 
Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,283
nice write up

i'm sure you will have your dislikes taken care of very shortly the aftermarket is jumping all over this car
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:13 AM   #3
GMtothecore
"That Guy"
 
GMtothecore's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
Posts: 2,402
very nice...thanks for the review.
__________________
GMtothecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:16 AM   #4
ljustin293


 
ljustin293's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 15,089
good review
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
vetteman
 
Drives: vette
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 43
Thanks
vetteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
UCF w00t
Geek
 
UCF w00t's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando
Posts: 4,456
Glad to hear it. If you say it handles good but could be better (coming from a ZR1), I'm sure I'll be blown away (coming from a truck).

About the rear view mirror... there's a thread on here where someone thought the same thing but was able to flip it upside down to gain a good bit of visibility.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
Indpowr
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Corvette C6
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,028
Great review...Thanks

Sounds like DSVcustoms is a perfect fit to help upgrade the interior..
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
hb-rocks
 
hb-rocks's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: HB CA
Posts: 679
Thanks for the write up.
How much did the daily rental fee cost?
hb-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
sabrescamaro
 
sabrescamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: TB SS and temporarily 2LTRS VR
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 486
Nice review, pretty much reflects my thoughts, except for the mustsang part. I think the look and the interior of the camaro are better. There aren't as many options, yet, but it still looks more original and better, I think.
sabrescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #10
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6
 
BigMatt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Landenberg, Pa
Posts: 1,075
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
Dosen't the camaro have nav through onstar?
BigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #11
greg_74
 
greg_74's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 169
Wow you DD a ZR1? But nice review though.
__________________

2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS #7590
345 HP Package, LPP Headers and ORY, GMMG, SLP CAI and Smooth Bellows, PHB, Chrome TTM's
greg_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:42 PM   #12
Sleestack
 
Sleestack's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 SRT8 SuperBee, '09 GT500
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteman View Post
I recently rented a SS at Budget Beverly Hills. I have a SS on order and wanted to make sure it was worth keeping my order.

Let me say this first my daily driver is a new ZR1 so keep this in mind what m used to:

The car looks great as we all know. It attracted attention wherever I went from young to old - everyone loves the look of this car. In the land of Bentleys, Astons and Maseratis - this car attracts more attention than any of those combined in LA - this is saying a lot about its design

Overall I liked the car a lot and am looking foreword to mine (Black SS with Cyber stripes) coming in a week or two. While I list a few dislikes its all nit picky but seems to be consensus for most reviews and forum members so why does GM not get these things right in development?

Likes:

Looks - Budget also had orange which was far cooler in person than any pics. Very retro. Any color looks great in this car really

Wheels - big and thick - great looking

Drive- the car is very smooth and a great daily driver for anyone. much more planted than the Dodge Challenger I also recently rented.

Steering Wheel - nice size and thick (could be even thicker)

Back Seats - plenty of room for my kids and their booster seats - dont underestimate the importance of this for anyone with kids

Controls- everything is easy to use and intuitive

Express up AND down windows for both windows - HUGE in my book




Dislikes: No major overall - I would classify these as things that could be improved:


Interior Door handle - is not deep enough - should be able to wrap you hand around a handle top open close it

Door opener/closer - located too far down for such a big door.

Not offering Nav is just odd and unacceptable in 2010 (Very GM). I read this is coming soon

I read heads up is coming later in model year and this will be great

Seats - I recently read a review that said they thought the seats were intended for the over 200 pound wide crowd. I agree 100%. They are just not supportive enough (lower back) and too wide. I am not a fan of these kind of seats where the front and back of seat operate independently - hard to explain but just not very flexible in getting the "right" position.

Also, not having a button to press that puts seat foreword all the way to access rear makes getting in the rear a pain in the XXX - Even a manual would be nice. This is big oversight and im not the only one to mention it

Rear view mirror - I have seen this addressed also on this forum - its too tall (on star button part) and blocks the little visibility. Took a few days to get used to it which I did.

Atomatic shifter -(weakest part of the design) looks like it was taken from the parts bin from a Hummer - just does not go with rest of car and the cheap plastic surround could be much nicer. Im hoping for an aftermarket kit which im sure there will be. A chrome option for the interior would be great and cool. im sure its coming at some point

Driving:

Nice. smooth as can be - Sure I would like it if it handled better but its very good.

Would also be nice for a louder engine or exhaust similar to vette that opens up as you go faster - the SS is just dying for this and im sure it will come later. its just too quiet for 400HP+ engine.

Stereo:

Fine - what you expect in a camaro

Overall:

anyone that owned a camaro (like me) or wants one for the first time wont be disappointed it looks great, drives great and is fun. You feel young and remember the good ol days when driving this car.

Side notes:

I recently rented a Challenger RT - cant beat the looks but the interior is just crap and the car floats like a 1970s car.

Recently test drove 2010 Mustang GT. I like this car - I like the looks and the interior is better than the Camaro - more upscale and no comparison with features.Nav/etc. But the Camaro is fresh and meaner looking. Both great cars.

I have owned many Vettes, Z51, convertibles and now ZR1. You cant compare a Camaro SS to a Vette. The vette is a vette. handles better, drives better, sportier, faster, better sounding exhaust, you name it and the vette is better. but you get what you pay for and at the price of the SS its a bargain. (as is the vette at its price)

Good review. Too bad you did not get to drive a SRT8 Challenger. The R/T is really tuned for tooling around town... high 70's on the skidpad is minivan territory. The SRT8 is a different animal.
Sleestack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #13
Gentry78
HOOK'EM
 
Gentry78's Avatar
 
Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMatt View Post
Dosen't the camaro have nav through onstar?
yes
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #14
GatorBlue371

 
GatorBlue371's Avatar
 
Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestack View Post
Good review. Too bad you did not get to drive a SRT8 Challenger. The R/T is really tuned for tooling around town... high 70's on the skidpad is minivan territory. The SRT8 is a different animal.




Dodge made a big DOH! when they lined the R/T up against the SS.



R/T is a big fun car, but its not in the SRT's league, which in turn is just barely in the SS's.



I REALLY want someone to do a Challenger SRT vs. SS comparison
__________________
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #15
AZCamaroFan
This is the 6thGen
 
AZCamaroFan's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaros
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 17,447
If the seats were made for the over 200 pounders, how are they not supportive enough?
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #16
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned
 
Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 2,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by azfan View Post
If the seats were made for the over 200 pounders, how are they not supportive enough?
I think that they are too wide.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #17
GatorBlue371

 
GatorBlue371's Avatar
 
Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
I think that they are too wide.




too wide = support on the far edges
__________________
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:54 PM   #18
vetteman
 
Drives: vette
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 43
Yes it has Nav thru onstar but I mean no map screen which is very helpful as your drive if you are not familiar with the areas and as we all know sometimes navs give you crazy directions to go 1 mile and without a screen you dont always know this,.
vetteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:43 AM   #19
JHart
I haz camaro again :)
 
JHart's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Union, South Carolina
Posts: 639
nice review, and being 240 pounds, i like the wide part. i drove my friends 2009 turbo cobalt ss, and being 6'3 240 in that little ass seat hurt after about 10 minutes.
JHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #20
BAD BRAD
 
Drives: 1969 CAMARO 2010 CAMARO
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BROWNWOOD TEXAS
Posts: 213
i own both 2008 srt8 challenger and 2010 2lt ss rs auto what do u what to know
BAD BRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #21
JHart
I haz camaro again :)
 
JHart's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Union, South Carolina
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD BRAD View Post
i own both 2008 srt8 challenger and 2010 2lt ss rs auto what do u what to know
fail.
__________________
2010 Camaro 1SS(back in a camaro again, yessssss!)

2010 silverado z71 ccsb(sold, old dd)
2010 camaro1ss(sold, missed, will have another someday)
JHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:49 AM   #22
BAD BRAD
 
Drives: 1969 CAMARO 2010 CAMARO
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BROWNWOOD TEXAS
Posts: 213
what do u mean
BAD BRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #23
Matster

 
Matster's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/IOM #3625
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD BRAD View Post
what do u mean
It is either the 2LT/RS V6 or the 2SS/RS V8
__________________
666 EVIL RWHP BUILT AND TUNED BY SHIFTED PERCEPTIONS INC.(SPi)

416 Forged Stroker, E-Force Supercharger, Blower Cam, Rotofab CAI, Stainless Works 2" LT Headers and 3" Exhaust, LPE ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch, DSS 1400 HP Axles, Pfadt Performance Kit Stage 3.
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #24
franknbeans
Whipped
 
franknbeans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CAMARO
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pittsburgh-ish - PA
Posts: 4,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD BRAD View Post
what do u mean
"owning one" and not knowing what it is = fail.
__________________
The "ManCard"

franknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #25
07MonteSS
 
Drives: 1985 Red Corvette 1978 Lotus
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: soon to be Mocksville NC
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD BRAD View Post
i own both 2008 srt8 challenger and 2010 2lt ss rs auto what do u what to know

__________________
1985 Bright Red Corvette with targa top
1978 Lotus Eclat
1975 Porsche 914
Ford F350 7.3 Diesel Super Duty

07MonteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help the Camaro win Motortrend's Championship truth411 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 56 07-02-2009 05:10 AM
EDMUNDS shootout: Camaro vs. Mustang vs. Challenger!!! fad1 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 119 05-23-2009 10:00 PM
Charger SRT8 vs Camaro SS vs Mustang GT Hooy Chevy Camaro vs... 104 03-02-2009 08:48 PM
camaro ss or 06 vette? Robin 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 45 08-23-2008 05:10 PM
Challenger Pricing LSxcellent General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 31 12-03-2007 09:00 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.