Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
darkblue02
Crimro

Drives: 02' 35th Anniversary 5-spd V6
Unhappy Sad day help!2002 v-6 3800

So the day started fine i got in my car it fired up like usual i knew it was kinda low on gas but i put ten in last night before coming home and was gonna fill up today, Well i also had a nail in my tire so i was going to get that patched and the place was before the gas station so i went there and they used the lift but just used the front part and just lifted up the front of my car which i found odd (they usually pick up the whole car) They took the tire off and did the whole patch job while my car was jacked up farther than any jack would get it...but to get to the point i drive down the road ( it started kinda funny but came out of it) i got about a block down and it died..i assumed i ran out of gas it wouldn't start so i walked to the gas station and got a gallon of gas and yet it still wouldn't start so i turned key forward and let it sit for about five mins..it fired up and i started to go and it was running like crap,died a couple times getting to the gas station then i filled it all the way up it took 13 gallons its a 2002 and pretty sure the tank is 16.8 gallons so what i put it was less than a gallon and it was empty it shoulda been like 15 gal. but it will start rev up once or twice then dies again and i have to tow it home tmrw any ideas i'm guessing fuel pump or filter i still hear the pump kick on and always give it time before cranking on every day starting??
Old 11-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
I would start with the filter. Has it ever been changed?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
darkblue02
Crimro

not since i owned it ive did a lot of things to it and started to buy one and do it guess now i have to i don't like doing things that way ive been looking at the most common problems and replacing what i can do myself..not the best mechanic if i had more tools i could do more just from watching tutorials (monkey see monkey do) I'm laid off looking for a new job right now not much income coming in but i get enough to do minor things to my car fuel pump will really hit the pockets though its a cheap buy but hear its hell to get to ive looked at the trap doors,hoping previous owner has already done it (havent looked yet)
Old 11-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
darkblue02
Crimro

ok so i changed the filter and turned the key over 3-5 times to prime the lines...no leaks in the lines..after the change i started it and it was running kinda iffy but it idled i walked inside came back out and sounded fine so i figured i'd try to drive it..drove up tyhe road kinda rough but then it came out of and made it to third gear and was running good then i stoped to turn around it died..then it started again reversed out and then died again so i coasted down the hill back to my house and its doing the same as before starts will rev up and then dies i gave it a tune up not long ago and changed two of the coils do you think the 3rd coil pack could be the problem?
Old 11-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
darkblue02
Crimro

what do you guys think about using oem replacement pumps using the same housing thats in there now?local autozone and advanced want 300$+ for a fully housed pump when these websites sell the same ones for 150+ wtf they rape you
Old 11-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
darkblue02
Crimro

by the way the trap door is already there so thats a plus!!
Old 11-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
13FastBlkSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Are you getting any CEL's (check engine lights)? have you replaced your spark plugs / wires recently?

2013 Black / Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6 w/NPP Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI w/ Scoop, Elite Engineering Catch Can, VMAX Ported TB, ZL1 Style Front Splitter, AAC Ghosted Side Markers
Build#24869
13FastBlkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #8
darkblue02
Crimro

yes i did earlier this year plugs wires and two of the 3 coil packs only code its been pulling recently was P0420 replaced the catalytic converter three or four weeks ago the light came back on about a week ago had it checked,same code he reset it and it hasnt came back on since when it was running earlier there was no SES light on thanks for helping btw
Old 11-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
darkblue02
Crimro

its turns over starts then dies if i press the gas it will rev up and keep running as long as i'm pumping it for a min soon as i let go of gas it dies again..havent had any problems til the fore mentioned day...idk i wanna change the pump but dont wanna waste the money if thats not the problem ya know
Old 11-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
darkblue02
Crimro

damn i see that no one likes to help a v6 owner see other threads where people with v8s get massive help but i'll just figure it out figured maybe someone else may have had this problem and could help me thanks to the couple of people who tried to help!