Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:11 AM   #1
IPT

Drives: '02 Trailblazer, '12 Camaro 2SS/RS
car drying in winter

So in Alaska there is no way to use a leaf blower in the winter . If I use a brushless car wash the dryer doesn't get nearly all the water off. So then what, to avoid swirls? By the time I hit the street any water drops left are froze. Either I pull right out and do something, or I am waiting to get home to the heated garage to thaw.

Pat it down with a waffle weave MF towel?

Wait to get home and use some ONR diluted as a quick detailer? I did that, but the problem is it leaves a lot of water behind and I feel like I am wiping off a lot of excess moisture. Even with a soft towel I must be marring the finish.

Other options or products?
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
So in Alaska there is no way to use a leaf blower in the winter . If I use a brushless car wash the dryer doesn't get nearly all the water off. So then what, to avoid swirls? By the time I hit the street any water drops left are froze. Either I pull right out and do something, or I am waiting to get home to the heated garage to thaw.

Wait to get home and use some ONR diluted as a quick detailer? I did that, but the problem is it leaves a lot of water behind and I feel like I am wiping off a lot of excess moisture. Even with a soft towel I must be marring the finish.

I will be executed for saying this, but making sure I clean the car very well first, I use an Absorber to blot (lay it on and lift it up) to get the bulk of the water off, then follow up with either a guzzler or Adams Great white waffle weave to get the rest. And only wiping gently with the waffle weave. With a nicely prepped and sealed surface you really don't have to work real hard to wash or dry and thus reducing the potential for scratching.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
IPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
I will be executed for saying this, but making sure I clean the car very well first, I use an Absorber to blot (lay it on and lift it up) to get the bulk of the water off, then follow up with either a guzzler or Adams Great white waffle weave to get the rest. And only wiping gently with the waffle weave. With a nicely prepped and sealed surface you really don't have to work real hard to wash or dry and thus reducing the potential for scratching.
Look at that, no execution! I might need to check out the Adams Great WHite. I just don't feel my MF towels soak up that much water causing me to rub to much.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
another option is this http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-guzzler-hd-towel.html

With a normal waffle weave towel (like the Adam's Great White and many cobras as well) you generally have to wipe both ways a few times to get rid of the water.

With a foam core, you literally put the towel (not folded in any way) on the paint, pat it down, lift two edges and drag. I almost never have to use 2 passes and it doesn't require wiping back and forth which is more swirl inducing potential.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
mel1
Yeah buddy

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post

Why can't you use a leaf blower in Alaska?

2010 SS IOM L99,Heritage grille,Rear Bowtie Delete
mel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Put a floor drain in a heated garage ?
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
No way in hell I'd be touching the paint with a towel after a brushless car wash. Those do not clean the car, there's tons of grit left on the paint.

I guess in your shoes, I'd just let it freeze, drive home. Hopefully it'd melt away in your garage.

You could then do an ONR wash in your garage, which would actually cleanse the paint to the point you could dry it normally.

Just my opinion though.

*Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety*
Old 11-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
IPT

Yeah, even with the ONR I still find there is a lot of water on the car afterwards and I am wiping it again and again with the MF towel to get it dry. That can't be good.

The leaf blower thing just won't work in winter. First off we keep the garage at like barely above freezing. Just enough to get the snow to melt (if there is any), allow you to have some comfort driving in the AM, but still not cost a fortune to heat. The other thing is the garage is not spotless (lot os wood work done in there) so I fear firing up a leaf blower in there will just spew dust all over my now clean car.

Drain? Yeah, that would be nice and if I were building the house I'd have one. I am not willing to tear out and replace the entire garage floor to get a slope enough to make a newly installed drain work. Would love to have one though.

Maybe I'll check that guzzler out.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:46 AM   #9
IPT

That Guzzler is awesome! It just soaked up the water just laying on the car. No need to wipe anything afterwards, perfect .