Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
RJT-Maro
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Supercharged RJT SS!
Send a message via AIM to RJT-Maro
Do You like the BA sound system?

I wanted to start a thread to see how many of you like it or not. Doesnt matter if you have just test drove one and you listened to it or you own one and you listen to it everyday lol. so tell me if you like it or not!!
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger, ARH 1 7/8 LT Headers with 3" X-Pipe, Borla S-Type Axle-Back, DMH Low Profile Exhaust Cut-Outs, MTI Racing CAI, Stage 2 Camshaft(227/239 .614/.624) with new springs, Katech C5R Z Timing Chain, LS7 Bowtie Damper, MTI Hot Spark Plug Wires, MTI Racing Lowering Springs and Swaybars, Aluminum Oil Catch Can, 160 Degree Thermostat, MTI Tune. 554RWHP 528RWTQ Built By: MTI Racing Dyno Sheet here
RJT-Maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
mikenmar

Drives: Camaro 1LT
There have been several threads on this, look over in the Audio section of the Forum.

My opinion is that it ts sub-par, for the money, but I have pretty high standards for sound.

A lot of people (most?) basically describe it as "adequate". Some people really like it.
mikenmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
2Muchmark

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Send a message via ICQ to 2Muchmark Send a message via MSN to 2Muchmark Send a message via Skype™ to 2Muchmark
Hi Maro,

I am pretty picky when it comes to sound quality and listen to sound detail in every gadget I have, every club I go to, and every Rock concert I go to.

I am not expecting great sound out of the Cammy, but I will let you know my opinion, and offer advice to others on how to improve it, or if it is worth improving.

What I will be listening for is:

- Is it LOUD enough? (I love really loud music).
- Do the high-ends top-out at 14kHz like the crappy Delco speakers used to?
- Any clipping going on? (Distortion at high volume).

Without hearing it yet I am already pretty sure that I will add an amp and sub-woofer to the car. It should be very easy to install since apperently there is already a connector for this in the back of the car. Hopefully this connector is already EQ'ed and contains only the low-eq range (sub 100hz) only, but we'll see.

Full report in a day or two!

m
2Muchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
DarricSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Heard the stereo yesterday, it's not all that great. Sounds "OK" but underpowered.

It's more fun listening to the exhaust/engine and chirping tires in 1-2-3anyways.

All of this was in my friends car...don't have mine yet.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
2010SSRS

Drives: 2000 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Muchmark View Post
Hi Maro,

I am pretty picky when it comes to sound quality and listen to sound detail in every gadget I have, every club I go to, and every Rock concert I go to.

I am not expecting great sound out of the Cammy, but I will let you know my opinion, and offer advice to others on how to improve it, or if it is worth improving.

- Is it LOUD enough? (I love really loud music).yes
- Do the high-ends top-out at 14kHz like the crappy Delco speakers used to?no
- Any clipping going on? (Distortion at high volume)
.only when trying to get any descent bass

Without hearing it yet I am already pretty sure that I will add an amp and sub-woofer to the car. it needs itIt should be very easy to install since apperently there is already a connector for this in the back of the car. if u find it, let me know! Hopefully this connector is already EQ'ed and contains only the low-eq range (sub 100hz) only, but we'll see. there's an amp in back drivers side but nobody seems to be able to find if there's a sub out on it anywhere.

m
so, i'm please overall with the BA system. it's loud enuff for me. the highs and mids are adequate but for my taste it needs subs. i'm older now and i don't need to pound my fillings loose anymore with the twin Denon 1000 watt amps i used to run to my subs back in the day.

i will be adding 2 BA subs and an amp at some point. i haven't taken my trunk apart yet to examine this existing BA amp, but i'm hoping that there's a connection somewhere back there.

i have asked Dave Hiller at Newman Chevy if he could find any instructions or if he could find out where this connection is for the MTX accessory option that costs an outrageous $1000..................i am yet to hear back from him.

bottom line is, with subs it'll be great for us. i'm more into the engine sounds and exhaust notes these days............i only crank up the Nickelback at cruising speeds!

VR 2SSRS LS3 - Borla, SLP CAI
2010SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
RJT-Maro
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Supercharged RJT SS!
Send a message via AIM to RJT-Maro
thanks

thaks for all of you who have replied im new to camaro5. I agree with most of you when you say you like to hear the engine sounds thats number 1 on my list too! ha But i cant live without my music its my life but I wont have it turned up to loud that way i can hear the rumble and purr of the engine!!
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger, ARH 1 7/8 LT Headers with 3" X-Pipe, Borla S-Type Axle-Back, DMH Low Profile Exhaust Cut-Outs, MTI Racing CAI, Stage 2 Camshaft(227/239 .614/.624) with new springs, Katech C5R Z Timing Chain, LS7 Bowtie Damper, MTI Hot Spark Plug Wires, MTI Racing Lowering Springs and Swaybars, Aluminum Oil Catch Can, 160 Degree Thermostat, MTI Tune. 554RWHP 528RWTQ Built By: MTI Racing Dyno Sheet here
RJT-Maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5 & C6
After listening to several high powered custom systems in the past, I don't have high expectations, but I do like the clarity of BA speakers. So it should be definitely worth the upgrade. Otherwise I'll just amp it up a notch..just to hear what rattles..
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
9c1ny

Drives: C6 Zed-oh-six
Its good for what I need it for, I usually keep the volume low so I can listen to the engine anyways, it does have good sound clarity, not the loudest system in the world, the XM is nice and I love having the ability to plug my Zune in (it only takes a min or two to index 4500 songs!)
Old 06-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Muchmark View Post
Hi Maro,

- Is it LOUD enough? (I love really loud music).
- Do the high-ends top-out at 14kHz like the crappy Delco speakers used to?
- Any clipping going on? (Distortion at high volume).

Without hearing it yet I am already pretty sure that I will add an amp and sub-woofer to the car. It should be very easy to install since apperently there is already a connector for this in the back of the car. Hopefully this connector is already EQ'ed and contains only the low-eq range (sub 100hz) only, but we'll see.

m
I'm like you when it comes to how clear the music is. I can't stand distortion. I was hoping the BA would have just enough power and all I would be doing is adding a sub system, not the GM/MTX either.
After driving a 2LT a couple days ago and checking out the stereo, I now know i will doing upgrades on all speakers.
I wasn't really impressed. I didn't expect a lot but it still didn't have what I was hoping for. I would say it is a bit better than most factory sound. When I turned it up, the first thing I noticed was lots of bass in the system. Tone controls were easy to get on the screen, I did not see an EQ though, just adjustment for treble, mids and bass. It was already set most of the way up on treble, about 85%, mids were set in the middle about 50% and bass was set at about 30%. Even with those settings, the bass dominated and distorted when I turned it up.
So, unless I missed soemthing, I will certainly be upgrading to at least 150 watts per channel.
There ya go Munch. now, with all that said, wasn't there a member on the audio thread that said all the speaker wires came off the amp in the trunk? If so, at least factory wires are ample in most cars now days.
Any one know what size the stock speaker wires are with the BA installed?
Old 06-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #10
OrangeCruSSh

Drives: 2010 Camaro/2500HD Silverado
Sounds system is weak. The highest setting on the volume is 45 which to me isn't loud enough with the windows down when you are on the highway. I like my music loud and this system doesn't do it for me.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #11
modiecast

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS / Sold my 2010 2SS/RS
The Bose sound system in my 09' Silverado blows the doors off the BA sound system in the Camaro. I will definately be getting some work done to it. In my opinion, this is one of a few real shortcomings of the new Camaro.
modiecast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #12
Adam
You Said Member

Drives: 2010 SIM 2LT Auto RS
Uh, if you are listening to it at 45 then you are either deaf or something else which I won't say because I don't like getting infractions here.

It should honestly never go above 30 while listening to a weak source, and 25 for a moderate or loud source.

If I cranked it up to 30 I wouldn't be able to properly differentiate signal within my ear drums because the human ear has limitations and I doubt unless you are partially deaf you can either.

Truth is, if you've been listening to music at extreme levels for extended periods of time, you ARE damaging your hearing. Years of this and there's no wonder why it sounds bad to you. Go get a hatchback and stick a 15 inch sub in there and leave true audiophiles to their real sound.

And another thing, why would you care about what it sounds like (or maybe all you care about is volume) when the windows are rolled down on the highway. With all the wind noise it's not like it matters anyhow, you could be listening to fingers on a chalkboard.

For someone with fully functioning earholes, this sound system is the best I've heard in a long time. It's better than any setups I had in previous vehicles, and better than the shaker 500. I'm more of a home theater guy, and I have high standards and a low tolerance for distortion and ambient noise.

It just barely needs a third subwoofer. I put a 12 in and it's more than enough to compliment the rest of the system, and that's with only a 250 watt amp.

If you like clear detailed rich balanced sound, then you will like the BA system. If all you care about is volume or bass levels, then like I said, 15 inch sub, place in hatchback, profit.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #13
mikenmar

Drives: Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCruSSh View Post
The highest setting on the volume is 45 which to me isn't loud enough with the windows down when you are on the highway.
Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?

Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven.
mikenmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:45 PM   #14
jr_hoyt
J-Rock

Drives: 2001 Yellow Ford Focus
It's not the legendary sound system that will "blow the clothes off of a girl" like in the Italian Job, but I must say that it really isn't bad for a stock system...

jr_hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #15
aosborn

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro Imperial Blue
If you adjust the tone settings it's decent and better than most factory systems. If you've never had good aftermark speakers and amps you will probably be impressed. It's not top of the line though. I think the base needs more power, but I like a crisp clear punch on base. I have some focal speakers that I'm thinking of putting in. Plus I have to take it to the stereo shop and see what thier thoughts are on putting in another amp. Over the phone they said that if it has a digitial amp it's more difficult.
aosborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #16
OrangeCruSSh

Drives: 2010 Camaro/2500HD Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Uh, if you are listening to it at 45 then you are either deaf or something else which I won't say because I don't like getting infractions here.

It should honestly never go above 30 while listening to a weak source, and 25 for a moderate or loud source.

If I cranked it up to 30 I wouldn't be able to properly differentiate signal within my ear drums because the human ear has limitations and I doubt unless you are partially deaf you can either.

Truth is, if you've been listening to music at extreme levels for extended periods of time, you ARE damaging your hearing. Years of this and there's no wonder why it sounds bad to you. Go get a hatchback and stick a 15 inch sub in there and leave true audiophiles to their real sound.

And another thing, why would you care about what it sounds like (or maybe all you care about is volume) when the windows are rolled down on the highway. With all the wind noise it's not like it matters anyhow, you could be listening to fingers on a chalkboard.

For someone with fully functioning earholes, this sound system is the best I've heard in a long time. It's better than any setups I had in previous vehicles, and better than the shaker 500. I'm more of a home theater guy, and I have high standards and a low tolerance for distortion and ambient noise.

It just barely needs a third subwoofer. I put a 12 in and it's more than enough to compliment the rest of the system, and that's with only a 250 watt amp.

If you like clear detailed rich balanced sound, then you will like the BA system. If all you care about is volume or bass levels, then like I said, 15 inch sub, place in hatchback, profit.
Well they do say the memory and hearing goes the older you get! LOL Seriously, I sold my Acura TL and the sound system in that car blew this one out of the water. It's a little lacking in my opinion. I could never turn the volume up in the TL and the quality of the sound far surpassed the one in the Camaro. To each his own...but who the hell listens to rock music turned down?! Audioslave and especially Led Zeppelin are meant to be pumped up!
Old 06-07-2009, 10:51 PM   #17
2010cantwait
not waiting anymore

Drives: vehicles
I don't think I've heard better sound than the BA system for 500 bucks.....
Old 06-07-2009, 11:01 PM   #18
hb-rocks

Drives: Chevy
hb-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #19
trudawg660

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger / 2SS IOM
my bass is on 2 and its stilll loud. and it goes up to 12. i can just imagine what would happen if i did turn it up that high
trudawg660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #20
CAMARO_MOW

Drives: 2011 White 2SS/RS
Yet to hear it, except in videos. But I will update when I get my car.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #21
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
My hearing's a little damaged from years in the low brass sections of concert bands, so I doubt I'll be able to tell the difference between the BA system and something 3 times as expensive.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:27 PM   #22
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg660 View Post
my bass is on 2 and its stilll loud. and it goes up to 12. i can just imagine what would happen if i did turn it up that high
It Would probably distort before it hit 12.I'm not trying to say anything bad about the system,all systems will do that.

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #23
aosborn

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro Imperial Blue
Taking out the BA speakers tomorrow and replacing the front door speakers and front tweaters with Focal's that I already have. Also having 2 new Focal 6x9 put in the back to replace those and a 650 watt JBL amp to power it. Oh ya, I can't wait till they finish tomorrow. Focal's have such a clean awesome sound.
aosborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:57 AM   #24
ravensjeff
100% Chevy & Harley Man

Drives: 650 HP Forged Internals-549 HP rear
Adjust the tone settings- all 3 are flat from the factory. Makes a huge difference. I was doing some serious jamming on the way to work this morning, listening to Ozzy, Metallica & Nickelback on a newly formatted USB flash drive. The sound was very good. Playlists showed up as well. My head unit also remembered the exact place in song (On the flashdrive) when I turned the car back on. No complaints at all.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #25
SamsinSS

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS
Send a message via MSN to SamsinSS
I am really not all that impressed with the sound. the more I listen to the audio system the less I like it. I have the bass and treble all set, but still not enough for me. My Mazda CX9 has a Bose system that blows the BA system away!!
SamsinSS is offline   Reply With Quote