Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
Adam
You Said Member

Drives: 2010 SIM 2LT Auto RS
fine scratches on new camaro after drying

My question is, do you think it's possible I did it? I used three zaino towels to dry the outside of the car.

I tried to do it as lightly as possible and still get it dry.

I never noticed the scratches before, but they are really really fine, so I could have easily missed them.

If you guys think I probably did this, then I'm just going to have to deal with water spots I guess, because I don't want to mark up my car, even if it's fixable, I'd rather just not have it happen at all.

Thanks for any info.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
jakemaxx

Drives: 1969 impala
http://www.autobarn.net/ac20002.html

only thing i will ever use on a car again.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
Adam
You Said Member

I don't really see how that could dry irregular surfaces. I was thinking of getting one of those filtered blowers though.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
My question is, do you think it's possible I did it? I used three zaino towels to dry the outside of the car.

I tried to do it as lightly as possible and still get it dry.

I never noticed the scratches before, but they are really really fine, so I could have easily missed them.

If you guys think I probably did this, then I'm just going to have to deal with water spots I guess, because I don't want to mark up my car, even if it's fixable, I'd rather just not have it happen at all.

Thanks for any info.
It is possible you did it while washing. Was there any really bad dirty spots on it?

I doubt you did it while drying though unless you dropped one of the towels. Do you remember which areas each towel dried? Are the scratches all on that same one area or do they go into other areas where another towel dried? Did you dry the car using vertical or horizontal motions? Are the scratches following the same pattern?
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
jakemaxx

Drives: 1969 impala
Quote:
I don't really see how that could dry irregular surfaces. I was thinking of getting one of those filtered blowers though.

that was a bad example they have made a new one with a flexable handle that will adjust to any curved serfaces
Old 06-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
Adam
You Said Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
It is possible you did it while washing. Was there any really bad dirty spots on it?

I doubt you did it while drying though unless you dropped one of the towels. Do you remember which areas each towel dried? Are the scratches all on that same one area or do they go into other areas where another towel dried? Did you dry the car using vertical or horizontal motions? Are the scratches following the same pattern?
there's an almost matching set of scratches above each door window, going vertical, which was the motion I made. Never dropped the towels, but I did get some dirt on them from the car while drying.

I should examine the entire car and make mental notes of any other surface imperfections. There was something almost like clearcoat scuffing underneath the trunk bowtie, that I know I couldn't have done, and never saw until today as well.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
First, your drying towel should not ever get dirty. If it does your car was not washed. The best way to dry IMO is to just lay the towel on a spot and let it soak it up then lift it up and wring it out, move to next spot. No real worries though you can use one of zaino'a swirl and scratch removers and recover from this whole ordeal. Did you let the dealer do a wash on the car? They might have damaged it upon the PDI. I hope this situation works out for you cause I totally understand the feelings you must be having finding the first flaws on your car. I have been washing mine daily cause of bugs and have gotten to know mine pretty well. I opted for NXT and use ultimate detailer for maintanence. Very happy with the depth it added to the IBM color. Also made the slight orange peel dissappear and looks like an entirely different paint job.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
Adam
You Said Member

Dealer hadn't even unwrapped it.

I tried laying the towel and picking up, but it left droplets behind anyways.

Honestly I don't feel that bad about it, I just want to see if I should avoid towel drying.

I pressure washed the car, because that's the easy thing to do for my current situation, plus I was trying avoid contact with the car as much as possible. But apparently that doesn't clean it all that well.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
GLBL WMR
Booya

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS
You probably did do it, and they're probably only spiderweb scratches that that will buff out with a mild polishing. To prevent it from happening again, use this:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-106-a...ing-towel.aspx

This towel is so soft and absorbent its ridiculous.

2000 Blazer LS | winter beater
GLBL WMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #10
GM Kid

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Yeah, pressure washing isn't the best. Nothing replaces physical contact with the car--preferably with completely clean wash water and a microfiber wash mitt. Rinse the car thoroughly first, then gently wash. Often, I'll wring the mitt and drench the surface with suds before I let the mitt touch it, just to ensure PLENTY of water is on the paint. Use straight strokes, not circles. Clean dirty areas like wheel openings and the bottom of the car last.

After rinsing, I use a leaf blower on areas where water likes to hide. Then I use a large blue microfiber drying towel. Remember that a bone-dry towel can be tough on paint, and it won't absorb water well. That's why I try to do the windows first--you can't really hurt 'em, and the moisture kinda "primes" the towel for the rest of the car. Again, remember to dry potentially hazardous areas like wheel openings and the bottom of the car LAST.

As for the fine scratches you found, a foam pad and most any good cleaner/wax would be a mild solution. Be sure to rub off the wax with a microfiber towel. If that doesn't take care of it, some Meguiar's Scratch-X or their new Swirl-X would be my next try. And if that doesn't do it, 3M makes a fantastic, more aggressive (but still gentle) compound that I really love. It's part number 03900. I buy it at Checker, but they don't keep it with the other polishes and waxes--they keep it on the paint prep aisle. You can apply this stuff with a foam applicator pad and it does a great job. Another product you can use safely with a random-orbit buffer is Meguiar's Dual Action Cleaner/Polish, #83. Again, it's safe and easy, but you really do need a buffer with a foam pad to get the most out of it.

Good luck! Remember, all cars have paint issues. I know where all of mine are so they don't freak me out each time I wash and wax. Fix what you can and live with the rest. If you routinely wash the car and keep wax on it, friends and onlookers won't have a clue where the flaws are and you'll always get compliments.
GM Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #11
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Very good explanation GM.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #12
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
What color is your car Adam?...Personal experience, water blade and absorber work awesome if used gently and properly (on a "clean" car).
Make sure you wash your Absorber frequently too...keep it as clean as possible and store it damp in its tube.
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #13
Adam
You Said Member

mine's silver, the towels were new. washed them and dried them already since the car wash.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:43 AM   #14
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Adam,

What polish, if any did you use? re; prior to washing?

A "trick" I've learned (on Zaino polished cars) is when rinising, remove the hose nozzle and let the water run over the entire car, which will cause 80 to 90 percent of the water to "sheet" away, leaving minimal drying.

I bought a half dozen 'Fieldcrest' "CHARISMA" towels from Macy's a few years back to use just for drying. I fold one in half, and with no pressure, lay it across the surfaces and pull it towards me. This removes the remaining water.

The "scratches" you seem to be describing can be either removed or "hidden" with a good polish. Silver is a very forgiving color too, so don't worry too much.

Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:45 AM   #15
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
mine's silver, the towels were new. washed them and dried them already since the car wash.
Tip on the towels;

When washing/drying, do not use any fabric softener, do not use 'Bounce' sheets, etc., in the dryer with the towels, only dry them partly, remove and allow them to "air dry" the rest of the way.

Also, you might want to remove the tags and border. These could also harm the finish.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:38 AM   #16
Thrillz

Drives: 2012 Charger R/T / 2012 Dodge Ram
I have to ask did u clean your stuff often? And if so how. To clean your microfiber towels use cold water and air dry dont use your dryer. Could have been your technique on how you wash as well.Doesnt take much to make swirls etc in car paint.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:01 AM   #17
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
you could have done it. problem is you took it off the lot, so anything that happened before you bought it is null and void. If its a major concern take it to a body shop and let a pro buff it out. I mean you can do it your self, but you really risk burning through the clear coat.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:28 AM   #18
IBM/2SS/RS/LS3
NorCal Camaro➎ Member

Drives: Bowties ONLY!!
2 buckets. 1 fresh water and 1 soap with a grate in the bottom of both.

Dry with the water method then a leaf blower and lots of NXT 2

Lots of good info on washing & detailing
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/index.php?
IBM/2SS/RS/LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #19
Adam
You Said Member

Yeah, I wouldn't mind cleaning it that way once a month, but with no garage and as a daily driver I have to wash it any time a bird poops on it or I get back from traveling on the highway. In other words, a lot.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #20
Adam
You Said Member

I've decided I'm pretty sure I couldn't have scratched it like that. I'm not just talking a swirl here, this is more substantial, even though it only shows at a certain angle. I'm betting it came this way and I never noticed.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:15 PM   #21
sav1

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Quote:
I've decided I'm pretty sure I couldn't have scratched it like that. I'm not just talking a swirl here, this is more substantial, even though it only shows at a certain angle. I'm betting it came this way and I never noticed.
Adam, you just purchased a $40,000 vehicle in which the dealer most likely charged you over sticker. They WILL fix the issue. The other reason, and the biggest one is... when that nice SURVEY comes to you in the mail directly from GM, they know if they didn't take care of this issue you're most likely going to trash them. They take this very seriously, some dealers I believe get car allocation dependant on these surveys. Take it back, they'll fix it.
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote