Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Camaro Fest Discussions > 2013 Camaro5 Fest (IV)

Old 11-30-2012, 02:46 AM   #613
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeokie View Post
I'm betting that if you ask for a few more volunteers to work to register people early at the host hotel or be at the track to register cars as they arrive they'd be willing......I didn't mean me....or anything, but I might....
+1. Going Wednesday this time.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:25 AM   #614
MarylandSpeed

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
A lot of work goes into this, so hats off to the mods who manage it every year. As this thread shows, it can sometimes unfortunatly be a thankless job.

If I had to make any suggestion, it would be to make the track stuff one day, not two.

I felt like last year, after spending Friday in the heat at the track all day, and then everyone partying at the hotel, a lot of people who came the first day either did not come to the track at all Saturday, or did not stay long. Most people will spend some of one of the two days they are out there checking out the brickyard and other stuff also. Sure some people came in for Saturday only...but the net effect is that that all the people are never at the track at one time. LOR is huge, and despite the record turn out, the place did not seem anywhere near full. While I could not see the autocross, it never appeared the drag strip was very open and not that busy.

I think a Camaro5Fest where the first part of the show was managed on Friday from the hotel, with an informal meet and greet, show, and checking out the local scene, followed by Saturday at the track could work. I would also imagine it would keep costs down for the attendees. The first show was like I described, and it seemed to work well. I would actually say that first show had more people at the track at one actual time than at any point the last two shows.

MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #615
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Noooooooooooo! We need our track time! The heat was a big part of the problem. You can only take so much of it. I suspect we avoided having any problems with heat exhaustion because folks used their heads & stayed in when they needed to. Some folks also did not know when to be where & you could not always hear the overhaed announcements depending on where you were. We need more hydratiuon stations in the raceway area and maybe even in vending (maybe some of the vendors could have cups of water available???????? My sugestion. Decide on what rules to enforce & only have those. I was not happy sweltering in my long pants in the race area & seeing some of the guys race in their shorts. But either way, I will be there.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #616
F5ABM
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2010 ABM 2LT/RS/6A
Quote:
Originally Posted by F5ABM View Post
Also, trying to find the pre-paid shirts was not easy. We asked at the host hotel on Thursday, nobody knew anything. Same thing on Friday at the track. Finally on Saturday we were able to locate them at the track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Say what?!?!

Did you see at the back of the hotel, there was this HUGE room with about 75 to a hundred people constantly for a good 3 hours? We had the entire store set up back there and had a specific line just for preorders. Preorders were absolutely awesome. They helped in a HUGE way. People came up, id'd themselves, and off they went with their paid for shirts. we had everything alphabetically in order for a quick find and all. It was GREAT!
We did not stay at host hotel. But we stopped in there on Thursday afternoon. Asked several people where we could pick up shirts. Nobody seemed to know. I think we are planning to stay at the host this year, so maybe it will be easier.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #617
ITMerc
Account Suspended

Drives: A.R.D. 1500, LSX Twin Turbo
Spot on Ivan!

I can absolutely see keeping Indy as the rotating location for the East side but this event should have come to the MIDDLE this year. SE, SW, NE, NE... What happened to the MIDDLE...?

Looks like I won't be going to C5fest this year and will instead be going to the Camaro Revolution in Texas. In fact I bet very few folks from Texas go to C5fest at all and thats a big group of cars. For sure none of the heavy hitters from Houston or Dallas will be going.

I understand that you can't make everybody happy but this event needs to follow a geographical 3 site rotation... West, middle, east. Wash, rinse, repeat. If the participation demographic's don't support a 3 area rotation then SAY SO but a middle location can draw from both opposite coasts. Always expecting the middle to keep traveling the farthest isn't realistic and this year you're going to see the fallout from that when Texas pretty much opts out.

Best wishes regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post
They done messed up by not going with Houston. Just sayin. There will once again be more folks not going this year than going.

I think that I can say that in confidence....again.
Ivan
ITMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #618
66olds442
Born Olds, Living Chevy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS: VR A6
First of all thanks for the effort in putting this together, I know planning CF is a big task to tackle.

I really do want to express my frustration in being unable to attend, for the fact that it is again being at Indy. For those of us on the West Coast, Mid West and Southern US; going to Indy is a big trip to tackle. I was hoping to see CF IV rotate somewhere different to accomodate people who have had to travel great distances to the previous CF's. But alas that is not the case.

I would seriously love to go, but due to the inconvenient location I will not be going. I hope you all have fun though!
Old 11-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #619
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Quote:
Ok...if she's there again, I need to get a pic of her with my car. I might just have to blow it up to poster size! ...if....that's ok with her.
We wouldn't want to let you down.
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #620
ALLTRBO

Drives: V8 up front and 7-spd out back FTW
I will be there! I missed the first three but I will not miss this one unless something crazy happens. It also gives me a goal to shoot for in getting my Camaro done.

I feel for all of you who can't or won't go because of the location, but on the flip-side, I'm one of the many who can go for the first time because the location is staying the same (vs. moving further west again).
Old 11-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #621
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66olds442 View Post
First of all thanks for the effort in putting this together, I know planning CF is a big task to tackle.

I really do want to express my frustration in being unable to attend, for the fact that it is again being at Indy. For those of us on the West Coast, Mid West and Southern US; going to Indy is a big trip to tackle. I was hoping to see CF IV rotate somewhere different to accomodate people who have had to travel great distances to the previous CF's. But alas that is not the case.

I would seriously love to go, but due to the inconvenient location I will not be going. I hope you all have fun though!
I'm sorry you won't be attending, 66olds. Did you go to Fest II? Just curious.

I appreciate you took the time to write down your thoughts respectfully, so please know that we're listening. We made some very calculated decisions this year. Some, not so popular...but it's important for me to note that we aren't intentionally leaving anyone out, or favoring another region strictly to do so.

Would you consider flying out? Again, just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLTRBO View Post
I will be there! I missed the first three but I will not miss this one unless something crazy happens. It also gives me a goal to shoot for in getting my Camaro done.

I feel for all of you who can't or won't go because of the location, but on the flip-side, I'm one of the many who can go for the first time because the location is staying the same (vs. moving further west again).
I'm glad to hear it!

We'll have a blast, and I hope this will be the first of many, many more Camaro5 Fests for you! It's one of a kind, that's for sure.

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #622
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
We made some very calculated decisions this year. Some, not so popular...

Seem's to me that this years decision is going to lead to bigger and better things in the future!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #623
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Has anyone noticed that when people say middle, it is code for close to home.

Coastal locations are only close for one coast.

Find the geographic center of the USA. Tell us which and hotel is nearby and can accommodate an event the size of C5FEST.
C
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #624
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Has anyone noticed that when people say middle, it is code for close to home.

Coastal locations are only close for one coast.

Find the geographic center of the USA. Tell us which and hotel is nearby and can accommodate an event the size of C5FEST.
C

It's from WIKI so it's probably wrong....

"From the time of the 1912 additions of New Mexico and Arizona, until the 1959 additions of Alaska and Hawaii, the NGS placed the geographic center of the entire United States at a point near the town of Lebanon, Kansas. Since 1959 this location still stands as the Geographic Center of the Contiguous United States, while the geographic center of the entire U.S. moved to a point northeast of Belle Fourche, South Dakota."
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #625
SSMagna
FAST1

Drives: ADM LSX 427 Twin Turbo #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITMerc View Post
Spot on Ivan!

I can absolutely see keeping Indy as the rotating location for the East side but this event should have come to the MIDDLE this year. SE, SW, NE, NE... What happened to the MIDDLE...?

Looks like I won't be going to C5fest this year and will instead be going to the Camaro Revolution in Texas. In fact I bet very few folks from Texas go to C5fest at all and thats a big group of cars. For sure none of the heavy hitters from Houston or Dallas will be going.

I understand that you can't make everybody happy but this event needs to follow a geographical 3 site rotation... West, middle, east. Wash, rinse, repeat. If the participation demographic's don't support a 3 area rotation then SAY SO but a middle location can draw from both opposite coasts. Always expecting the middle to keep traveling the farthest isn't realistic and this year you're going to see the fallout from that when Texas pretty much opts out.

Best wishes regardless.
I'm with you on this. The first Fest was the best IMO. I've made all 3 but I'm out on a repeat of Indy. I'll see you guys at the Revolution.
SSMagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #626
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by SM0KE View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
With all four corners of the USA, with all the major population centers INDY is centrally located. There are other tracks a bit west and or south that either did not have appropriate dates available, or suitable host hotel or great AC area but fair drag strip or great drag strip and AC but hotels too far away...

The track and hotel at INDY wanted the C5 community back. They saved the dates while the Moderators looked around. Every geographic group's interests were considered. In the end, getting to a pint where track and date selection is more than a year out is where C5FEST needs to be. It is the only way C5 will be able to get the most desirable dates and tracks.

Stay with the Moderators on this. They don't do C5 FEST for money. They do C5 FEST for the C5 community. Doug, Robert and Mike are all Texans. Do you really think they don't want the FEST in TEXAS? Jarrod and G want the FEST in California so badly so we can experience a SoCal FEST. They get it.

A little support might be in order for ALL the Moderators

FYI: I live in Texas and want a Texas C5FEST.
Great post. I would like to "highlight" the bold parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
I've had people that are "in the circle" that have told me that money was a main priority.
Spreading misinformation makes one look ignorant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
OK - tried to post this earlier and got knocked out of AOL at airport.....so let's try it again.

I have not read every post - but I'm appalled at some of what I see being posted here.

A couple of things:

1. No matter what location's chosen - some are going to be unhappy.

2. The moderators and volunteers don't make money on this. Anyone who has ever run a Camaro show should know this. further, the amount of time invested for something of this magnitude (the LARGEST camaro show BY FAR) is staggering.
EXACTLY.
3. There are not an overabundance of locations with everything needed to hold something like Camaro5fest - remember: you need a 1/4 mile track and lots of parking lot - has to be centrally located near an interstate - needs to have a hotel area whereby a couple of thousand people can check in -
Again....EXACTLY. Believe us...we look EVERYWHERE. We check maps, tracks, layouts, hotels, parking lots, distance, absolutely everything. It MUST work to be an option!
4. Many tracks are booked a year in advance. And many tracks have a policy of "NO!!!!" - meaning - "they are not easy to deal with" (TRUST ME on this one.....)
With one of the Texas tracks I looked into, I asked about shutting it down for just ONE day....a Saturday....so we could hold unlimited autox and 1/4 mile. I was told, "Saturday is our busiest day. It's our moneymaker. You want us to shut it down for you?" Running the #'s of attendees on that day, it's figured how much is made? About 4k on that day. It's asked, "so how much?"

"$17,000."

You gotta be f'ing kidding me.........

5. Just because it's at Indy this year does not mean it won't be somewhere else next year.

I see people complaining that it's not on the West Coast (was there two years ago) - I see people complaining that it's not on the east coast (it was there three years ago) Here's a thought: We build Camaros for many reasons - but one of them is the sheer joy of driving! I understand that budgets may be an issue for a few- - but not for everyone and besides - it may be one of the best road trips you've ever made. GET IN - BUCKLE UP - AND HEAD FOR INDY! (you will not regret it)

It's OK to comment - but when people start insinuating that people are getting kickbacks and making tons of money - then in my opinion, you're out of line.
I expect unhappy folks, but to come out and spread untruths without first hand knowledge....stuff like that really pisses me off! I've seen the comments on FB from "other sites" and people who hate this site. They'll say just about anything to make themselves feel and look better. Believe what you want. But unless you have first hand knowledge, keep your false information to yourself!
Let's remember: This is a Camaro site. The name Camaro means 'Friend- pal - comrade' - -let's remain friends.

Now - from me to the Mods and Volunteers: THANK YOU for the thousands of hours you've put into these Fests over the past three years and into next year - I think you've done a GREAT job - especially when the size and scope of the show is taken into consideration. YOU HAVE MY COMMITTMENT THAT WE'LL BE THERE!

And lastly: For those who like to complain: How 'bout VOLUNTEERING to help out?

I'm sure we are going to need help in a few areas. We'd love anyone and everyone to assist!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
-- someone mentioned that it needs to be the same weekend every year.

that would be great - but Camaro5 is at the mercy of the track chosen........
Exactly. Some tracks have specific dates set aside yearly for certain events. When we checked with Indy, it was only this weekend available due to all the other events going on. Change it up to a different track in a new local for the following year. We run into the same issue. Track might be full from March to July except for two to three weekends and will be booked for the same weekend as the year before. When you move tracks, you move dates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swizlstik View Post
Haven't said one word of complaints. But I will however volunteer to assist whereever the Mods need me. I will be there for the entire event.
THANK YOU!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
I'm older than that.
Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSX_Camaro View Post
I would agree, I'll bet since 2013 is booked, they are looking for a possible venue for 2014.
Ding Ding Ding!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by naSSty1 View Post
Topeka, KS has a place called Heartland Park with a 1/4 mile drag strip and a 2.5 road course. Multiple hotels near by and its right off an interstate.
Looked at it!
I would list places in Texas but there are to many to list
Actually, not really. I have a file folder on my computer that has google earth images of a ton of Texas tracks. Most just wouldn't work. I have three pix that could fit, but it's going to be working with those tracks. One of them....I promise you....would want double what we could pay. That leaves us with two tracks that would work for our set up. But, the hotel issue is there on BOTH tracks. We're going to have to be a bit further from the track in order to have a place large enough to house us all.
and besides they have the "Texas Mile". I do understand why it hasn't been in Texas though. I mean let's face, if C5F ever makes it to Texas it will probably never leave (*Texan). Anyway, just throwing my .02 in since everyone else has.

No, no no.... It'll still move around. The Fest is a moving deal. This year, it has to be this way for several reasons. It'll move again. PROMISE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyr0b0y View Post
It's not the location itself that people are upset about; it's the fact that they are holding the event in the same place as last year. imo it screwed out the 99% of the west coast bringing their cars out.
Totally understand. Jay and Guillermo know we want to hold a fest out there. Ask'em! CA needs to be included....PERIOD. But if a fest comes around (close like AZ) and less than half the people go that said they wanted to go, that's a problem. We can't put it in every back yard. But if it's somewhat close, take the opportunity. We (Texans) have driven over 2,000 miles for EACH fest thus far. Believe me, we'd LOVE for it to be 200 miles for a change....but...we just can't please everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aSSian View Post
It's amazing that an event like super Chevy can be held in las Vegas, but fest can't.

This year, I think 30 cars showed up for super Chevy. And the majority were from Cali doing the autocross. The whole track reserved for less than 50 chevy's. Lol. Maybe the mods any admin can talk to the people that hold super Chevy, and see if fest can take their slot next year. Lol
We've already been contacted by Super Chevy before in the past. They wanted our Fest to go to their event. The simple fact of the matter is that our event is OUR event. While we'd love to support Super Chevy, the fest doesn't come #2 to another event.

Oh, and we looked at LV for Fest 2. They wanted waaaay too much money. WHo knows, though. Maybe they know we're serious now and they'll be more willing to work with us? Maybe we could make it work later? I'd LOVE to go to LV for a week! That would be AWESOME!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleblank View Post
Well, I've read every post in this thread (I'm at home with a broken foot). It seems the complaints generally fall into two camps.

1. There is no rotation of location this year. So that means a lot of people who have missed previous events hoping for one closer have to wait at least another year. A lot of people just can't take two days off each way to go to an event. A legitamit complaint that's not mod bashing in any way.

2. It's back in Indy. Well, having traveled to Indy many times to see friends, Texans/Colts games, etc........Indy is Indy. Not much going on. I can totally see people not wanting to go back to a place they've been before. Road trips are by definition about going to new places.

I respect the decision made by the mods here. Going back to Indy is easy and should result in an improved event.

Here's what I don't want to see happen. Fest4 is outstanding as an event and it becomes too easy to just keep having it there. I've seen this happen with other orgs I've been involved with. Once you find a spot where all the kinks get worked out, you just keep going back there every year or every other year because it's just so easy to plan the event there. Please don't let that happen to Indy.
No worries. What makes the Fest so good is that it is a mobile event. It moves across the country. Believe me when I say that I didn't want to go back to Indy because it had to move. but, there were waaaay more factors that played into things which led us to this decision. However, we are already in the planning stages for Fest V. So....
Quote:
Originally Posted by operator965 View Post
Has it calmed down on this thread yet? Did I forget to say I'll be at INDY?
Well, I'LL BE AT INDY FOR cAMARO5 FEST IV!!!!!!!!!!

Just a few suggestions to the Mods.

Is there any way to have Registration at the Host Hotel so people can have their name tags for the Meet and Greet?
And second, maybe a card to put on the car so people will know whose car and who it belongs too?
yes and yes. We did tags at Fest 2, but hardly anyone wore them. Maybe we can put stacks at the front desk and somewhere else so people could fill them out. We also want to put tech cards out to have people fill them out ahead of time so the CamaroCross can actually begin a bit earlier. There's lots of things we are working on. We have to make things easier this year. That's our goal!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F5ABM View Post
We did not stay at host hotel. But we stopped in there on Thursday afternoon. Asked several people where we could pick up shirts. Nobody seemed to know. I think we are planning to stay at the host this year, so maybe it will be easier.
Absolutely. If you can stay at the host hotel, it'll be SO much more fun. We were in that back room from noon to 2pm or so sorting and unpacking getting preorders ready and everything. It was a big ordeal. We opened later that night after our dinner and were there till pretty late. Then, when we finished that, half of the crew was still in the same room till 2am helping Becky stuff bags. What a day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Paul View Post
We wouldn't want to let you down.

I'm gonna hold you to that!!!!!!!!!!!

WOO HOO!!!! Here comes my POSTER! Damn....that means I really DO need to get the Canon T3i. Gonna need that 18megapixel camera if I'm gonna blow up the pic that big!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #627
ssump29
LOL at most people here.

Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
I would like to know the amount of people from houston that went to Camarofest II and was ok with that? I seriously cant see how they are acting like thats any closer for them. The drive from Houston to Indy is the same time from Houston to Phoenix and actually less miles going to INDY. So unless its directly in TEXAS all these people complaining will never be happy unless its in Texas, thats what when you live in the biggest State and really south at that, anywhere else is always going to be a drive.

No matter what your probably driving ten hours if it isn't held in San Antonio, Houston or Dallas. Hell Dallas to Houston is still a six hour plus drive.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #628
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
A lot of the complaining was the drive to Indy. It was flat out HORRIBLE from Texas to Indy. NONE of us want to do that drive again. Ugh...

Now...the drive from Texas to AZ??? TOTALLY different situation. Flat, perfectly paved roads, no traffic, and incredibly smooth driving. EASY drive. EASY.

Indy? HORRIBLE. TRAFFIC, road closures, traffic jams, poorly paved roads. HORRIBLE.

See...this is a big part of the event. Driving 4 days takes up a lot of time for a two day event. 4 days of bla for two days........it's not good enough for a lot of people. Sucks.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #629
ssump29
LOL at most people here.

Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
Quote:
A lot of the complaining was the drive to Indy. It was flat out HORRIBLE from Texas to Indy. NONE of us want to do that drive again. Ugh...

Now...the drive from Texas to AZ??? TOTALLY different situation. Flat, perfectly paved roads, no traffic, and incredibly smooth driving. EASY drive. EASY.

Indy? HORRIBLE. TRAFFIC, road closures, traffic jams, poorly paved roads. HORRIBLE.

See...this is a big part of the event. Driving 4 days takes up a lot of time for a two day event. 4 days of bla for two days........it's not good enough for a lot of people. Sucks.
Now that makes sense, that should have been mentioned right off instead of just saying its to far away. I hate driving Indiana myself and I'm a border state with it.