Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Chevy Camaro vs... Comparison of Chevy Camaro versus its competition. *NO STREET RACING STORIES*

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
BlackCamaroSS11
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS A6
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Agoura Hills, CA
Posts: 57
Camaro SS vs Mitsubishi Evo X

So first off I just want to say I love my 2011 camaro ss, and plan on never getting rid of it. That being said, I went and test drove an Evo X, and was amazed at how well those cars drive STOCK! I am thinking about leasing one for $259 a month for a base GSR, and having that be my daily driver/track car, so I can keep the miles off my camaro. I also plan on modding it with some bolt ons, because power is made so easily with a boosted engine. So basically my question is what is your experience with the evo Xs. Anyone driven one, raced one. Let me know.
BlackCamaroSS11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
jdcvictory11
Sonja
 
jdcvictory11's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 LT/RS, '95 Camaro Conv.
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 898
The EVO X was the car I was going to buy before I found the Camaro. The dealership wouldn't negotiate and it was just out of my price range at the time. I got to drive it, and we went on a windy road. The car handled so well all the way through the RPM range. I loved it. The engine is a beast too capable of handling big numbers. I would love to have one. Just not in the cards right now. It will always be my second favorite car.
jdcvictory11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
2SS45th


 
2SS45th's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Posts: 2,806
Evos have more problems than they are worth. If I were you, I'd do it right the first time and go with the Subaru. Mitsubishi has been struggling to move those cars for awhile, they have a lot of issues. Diffs, transmissions, turbos, and they run extremely rich. I'd pass. I'm into the import scene, and can appreciate the Evo's performance, but the STi is the better car in every aspect.
__________________
I Ain't About That Stock Life.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
BlackCamaroSS11
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS A6
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Agoura Hills, CA
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
Evos have more problems than they are worth. If I were you, I'd do it right the first time and go with the Subaru. Mitsubishi has been struggling to move those cars for awhile, they have a lot of issues. Diffs, transmissions, turbos, and they run extremely rich. I'd pass. I'm into the import scene, and can appreciate the Evo's performance, but the STi is the better car in every aspect.
I also like the STI's, my friends cousin had one, and it was really fun to get a ride in it every once in a while, insane amount of grip. BUT it would be hard for me to pay more for the STI, when 95% of the reviews on youtube give the win to the evo. You cant argue with $259 payments each month on a rally car.
BlackCamaroSS11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
carfansince73

 
carfansince73's Avatar
 
Drives: Carefully
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,021
Never been one to lease so I don't know if that price is good or not. Just be sure you don't go over the miles allowed. As for modding a leased car, you should plan on putting it back to stock when you turn it back in. No point in losing your money on those mods.

I'm with you about putting miles on your Camaro. My Honda Pilot is my DD. Not near as much fun as that EVO. I'm waiting for the Chevy SS to be my DD.
__________________
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!! I wonder if the state would allow this vanity plate---> KISSMYSS
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....
 
MikeSVX's Avatar
 
Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Escondido, CA
Posts: 2,320
Racing and modding a lease car is a no, no. Modd the Camaro, and get yourself a nice Chevy Sonic Turbo for a daily. Better gas milage then the EVO and cheaper. Girlfriend has the Sonic Turbo. It's a great little car. She adverages 34mpg combined highway/city.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
Ice Demon

 
Ice Demon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,098
I would go with a WRX STI if I was you and don't lease it especially if you plan on moding it.
__________________
Ice Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
Mikeg1028
dark side has cookies
 
Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cape Coral FL
Posts: 104
surprised your getting such a good lease on a performance car what down payment are you giving?
__________________
2011 Camaro 1SS ::stock::
-Traded in-

2013 Mustang GT
Paxton 2200 SL Supercharger
Recaro Seats
-Current-
Mikeg1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
Mikeg1028
dark side has cookies
 
Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cape Coral FL
Posts: 104
I have raced on on my mustang GT with a tune and a Xpipe only and put about 2 cars lengths on it,

the evo had a cobb tune and no cats and some exhaust work I don't recall if it had anything else done to it... I have a video of it but idk how the mods would feel about that being posted on here....
__________________
2011 Camaro 1SS ::stock::
-Traded in-

2013 Mustang GT
Paxton 2200 SL Supercharger
Recaro Seats
-Current-
Mikeg1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
justa25thTA

 
justa25thTA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVX View Post
Racing and modding a lease car is a no, no. Modd the Camaro, and get yourself a nice Chevy Sonic Turbo for a daily. Better gas milage then the EVO and cheaper. Girlfriend has the Sonic Turbo. It's a great little car. She adverages 34mpg combined highway/city.
__________________
Yeah, I'll get around to it...
justa25thTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
VADER SS L99


 
VADER SS L99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 2,451
If you want a STI or Evo cool but use it for your daily and mod the SS not the import. I think moding the SS will be more rewarding than the import. Personally I dont see the attraction of those cars unless you live somewhere with alot of snow but thats just me. The fact that those cars cost the same or more than mine yet I eat them for lunch is probably part of it.
__________________
BLK/BLK 1SS/RS Ordered 11-01-2009 Took delivery 12-22-2009.
VADER SS L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
Mikeg1028
dark side has cookies
 
Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cape Coral FL
Posts: 104
Also why not just put a Helion kit on the SS and get a regular DD
Mikeg1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #13
trademaster
 
Drives: 06 Maserati gran sport, 12 z06
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Detroit/NYC
Posts: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
If you want a STI or Evo cool but use it for your daily and mod the SS not the import. I think moding the SS will be more rewarding than the import. Personally I dont see the attraction of those cars unless you live somewhere with alot of snow but thats just me. The fact that those cars cost the same or more than mine yet I eat them for lunch is probably part of it.
Meet one with a few grand in modifications at the track (not drag) and you will see why. A sticky set of tires, springs, sway bars, exhaust and a tune is all you need for those cars to be competitive against some titans on the track.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:54 PM   #14
2SS45th


 
2SS45th's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Posts: 2,806
Never buy a car off of YouTube reviews, let alone some races. After going through this decision with my STi, I can tell you that's it's the better car. I have a friend who bought an Evo. His tranny blew out within a month, no racing, and Mitsubishi wouldn't cover it. He ended up fighting them for a long time, and when the dust settled he bought an STi. Not many STi owners go to evos, but Evo drivers switch often. The resale value will tell you that, as will the low lease on the new one, they're struggling.
__________________
I Ain't About That Stock Life.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #15
matt55

 
matt55's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS AMB , mini revo
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 920
Sti better ?
Look at used one for sale with new motors , #4 piston fail (iirc).
Evo's are cheaper to mod/make more hp per mod .

Where are $250 lease on EVOs ???
__________________
Vararam , OBX and tune . 411/414 dynojet.
matt55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #16
VADER SS L99


 
VADER SS L99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 2,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademaster View Post
Meet one with a few grand in modifications at the track (not drag) and you will see why. A sticky set of tires, springs, sway bars, exhaust and a tune is all you need for those cars to be competitive against some titans on the track.
My car will never see the road course. Closest one to me would probably be out of state not that I would have any interest. My car does see the drag strip 2-4 times a year. Like me the percentage of SS owners and EVO/STI owners for that matter, will never see a road course but will see a drag strip. I would be happy to meet them at the strip to show them some tail lights and humbly admit they would destroy me on a road ccourse.
__________________
BLK/BLK 1SS/RS Ordered 11-01-2009 Took delivery 12-22-2009.
VADER SS L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #17
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958
 
Camaro_Corvette's Avatar
 
Drives: Team 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 22,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
Never buy a car off of YouTube reviews, let alone some races. After going through this decision with my STi, I can tell you that's it's the better car. I have a friend who bought an Evo. His tranny blew out within a month, no racing, and Mitsubishi wouldn't cover it. He ended up fighting them for a long time, and when the dust settled he bought an STi. Not many STi owners go to evos, but Evo drivers switch often. The resale value will tell you that, as will the low lease on the new one, they're struggling.
"Evo" and "no racing" just doesn't belong together. That's like seeing used crotch rockets in a for sale mag, and they say "never raced".... Please
__________________
Camaro_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #18
matt55

 
matt55's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS AMB , mini revo
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 920
Found a "deal"
It's $3000 down and $260 for 24 months , or $9200 for 2year renting a car
__________________
Vararam , OBX and tune . 411/414 dynojet.
matt55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #19
eggydoo
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 633
if you look at STI forums...alot of them actually favor the EVO as far as performance.

But I do agree with them at the EVO's interior/styling is eh compared to the STI.
eggydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #20
jdenotter

 
jdenotter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,M6,Black w/CGM Stripes
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nashville, NC
Posts: 1,785
If you want an EVO prepare to replace the clutch often.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
__________________

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.

Last edited by jdenotter; 11-30-2012 at 07:38 PM.
jdenotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #21
usafboy

 
usafboy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Silver SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Austin, AR
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdenotter View Post
If you yet an EVO prepare to replace the clutch often.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Even in the MR version?
__________________
2010 Silver Ice Metallic Camaro SS/RS LS3
Mods...so far: resonator/muffler delete, tinted everything, '13 shift knob/boot, bowtie delete, PFADT sway bars, CAI intake, Hurst short shifter, JBA cat deletes, BMR trailing arms/outer bushings/steering rack bushing, Bo White ported TB.
Rhino79 Dyno tuned...405 HP/399 TQ
usafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #22
2SS45th


 
2SS45th's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Posts: 2,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
"Evo" and "no racing" just doesn't belong together. That's like seeing used crotch rockets in a for sale mag, and they say "never raced".... Please
He's really responsible and had the car for a very short time, I'd be surprised if he ran it through the gears at all. Anyways, it was brand new and had the issue that they wouldn't cover, just something to think about.
__________________
I Ain't About That Stock Life.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #23
matt55

 
matt55's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS AMB , mini revo
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
He's really responsible and had the car for a very short time, I'd be surprised if he ran it through the gears at all. Anyways, it was brand new and had the issue that they wouldn't cover, just something to think about.
+1
Mitsubishi warranty suckssssssssssss
__________________
Vararam , OBX and tune . 411/414 dynojet.
matt55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #24
jdenotter

 
jdenotter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,M6,Black w/CGM Stripes
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nashville, NC
Posts: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafboy View Post
Even in the MR version?
Same clutch so yes. A buddy of mine had a EVO 9 and it went through several clutches.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
__________________

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
jdenotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #25
matt55

 
matt55's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS AMB , mini revo
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdenotter View Post
Same clutch so yes. A buddy of mine had a EVO 9 and it went through several clutches.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
EVO X MR has a dual clutch thingy .
__________________
Vararam , OBX and tune . 411/414 dynojet.
matt55 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.