Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #169
ZombieEatsYou

Drives: "Bmblbee" 2010 RY 2SS/RS. VIN 12043
Disconnected the purple wire from my show-mode switch and the lights stopped "showmodeing." It's possible the blade connector, which was uncovered yet tucked up in the cloth trunk liner, to have grounded by accident.

Now to charge up the battery...
ZombieEatsYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #170
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieEatsYou View Post
Disconnected the purple wire from my show-mode switch and the lights stopped "showmodeing." It's possible the blade connector, which was uncovered yet tucked up in the cloth trunk liner, to have grounded by accident.

Now to charge up the battery...
Absolutely, and that seems pretty common. I shrink wrapped the end of the purple wire, then covered it with electrical tape to ensure it wouldn't ground by accident to rule out the possibility of the battery dying because of it.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #171
MGD

Drives: 16 Camaro SS
I had my lights installed in July. Had my car at Burbank Airport sitting for 11 days. Got back from Indiana and Kentucky. Hit the unlock button, lights flash like always and started right up. No problem here, and it wasn't that warm here either. Maybe I'm the lucky one.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #172
TCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD View Post
I had my lights installed in July. Had my car at Burbank Airport sitting for 11 days. Got back from Indiana and Kentucky. Hit the unlock button, lights flash like always and started right up. No problem here, and it wasn't that warm here either. Maybe I'm the lucky one.
I wish .
Old 01-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #173
ZombieEatsYou

Drives: "Bmblbee" 2010 RY 2SS/RS. VIN 12043
Well this is interesting. Wasn't the techno lights that drained the battery. I was at a club meeting on Sat. and didn't turn off my underhood LEDs. I didn't turn on the show mode function of the tail lights so it seems that them going into show mode by themselves is a reaction to low voltage from the dying battery.
ZombieEatsYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #174
spd2612
Account Suspended

Drives: Black SS2/RS LS3
By their nature of being leds and low voltage I can see how that is possible, as when my switch at home was switched off on my outdoor LED Christmas lights you could still see them burning on a dark night. guess they could back feed under low voltage
spd2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #175
TCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieEatsYou View Post
Well this is interesting. Wasn't the techno lights that drained the battery. I was at a club meeting on Sat. and didn't turn off my underhood LEDs. I didn't turn on the show mode function of the tail lights so it seems that them going into show mode by themselves is a reaction to low voltage from the dying battery.
I think Technostalgia has built in the "flashing" as an indicator of low battery life as well, but it makes me curious as to what is actually draining the battery. I've had lots of LED's installed on this car and not once has all those killed the battery, but I install these taillights and I have two dead battery 2.5 months apart. It's really unusual. I hope we find out what this cause of a dead battery could be that we are all experiencing.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #176
ZL600 FK

Drives: 2012 SLP ZL600 #15 (IOM) Convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
I think Technostalgia has built in the "flashing" as an indicator of low battery life as well, but it makes me curious as to what is actually draining the battery. I've had lots of LED's installed on this car and not once has all those killed the battery, but I install these taillights and I have two dead battery 2.5 months apart. It's really unusual. I hope we find out what this cause of a dead battery could be that we are all experiencing.
If they have a circuit to monitor low battery life - this could be where the problem is?
ZL600 FK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #177
TCAT

Possibly, and it makes me wonder if something like that built into the taillights would actually cause significant drain over time as the car sits.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #178
pannhead51

Drives: 2SS convertible
maybe a resistor of some kind ?
pannhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #179
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannhead51 View Post
maybe a resistor of some kind ?
It has 4 big resistors.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #180
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVA 45TH 2SS View Post
Just curious.... How many of you that are having problems have a manual transmission?
This wasn't a rhetorical question people.
First let me just say I installed these on my SS LS3 on Christmas day.
So I have one of the newest versions.
Mine had some pretty thick gaskets between the 2 halves of each light.
The gaskets were color coded, (instead of the sticker) I assume this gasket is to help the moisture/condensation issue. It came mith the massive resistors on the aluminium plates as well.
all that aside.....
My car has been nearly stock since I got it except for the Catch can.
I installed my CAI and the Techno lights on Christmas day... So thats it for mods.
But my car since I got it always seemed to start rough, (like it maybe had only a few cranks left in it before the starter would only click).
I always thought maybe the engine was just harder to crank than Im use to, IDK
maybe the starter on mine is weak,
maybe my battery is dying, These are just observations I have had, I don't klnow if anyone else has seen this and if it is normal or not.

So I was searching here one day about what gear to put my manual in when parking... (the owners manual specifically says reverse which I thought was odd).
Anyway in one or two lengthy threads somebody mentioned that when you park in reverse The car will shut off the ECM and some other battery functions after 10 minutes to prevent the battery from being drained, while parked for long periods of time.
This first showed up in the 2005 Corvettes.

So could this be the issue, maybe part of it? I dont know, cause nobody responded..

It could be that the cold weather this time of year with the techno lights added as well as other factors including some phantom power sucking annomolies, is enough to drain the battery quicker

Sorry to be so long winded but back to the question....
how many of you that have the issue have a Manual transmission

I am just trying to help figure this out, cause I dont want to have this issue myself.
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #181
TCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVA 45TH 2SS View Post
This wasn't a rhetorical question people.
First let me just say I installed these on my SS LS3 on Christmas day.
So I have one of the newest versions.
Mine had some pretty thick gaskets between the 2 halves of each light.
The gaskets were color coded, (instead of the sticker) I assume this gasket is to help the moisture/condensation issue. It came mith the massive resistors on the aluminium plates as well.
all that aside.....
My car has been nearly stock since I got it except for the Catch can.
I installed my CAI and the Techno lights on Christmas day... So thats it for mods.
But my car since I got it always seemed to start rough, (like it maybe had only a few cranks left in it before the starter would only click).
I always thought maybe the engine was just harder to crank than Im use to, IDK
maybe the starter on mine is weak,
maybe my battery is dying, These are just observations I have had, I don't klnow if anyone else has seen this and if it is normal or not.

So I was searching here one day about what gear to put my manual in when parking... (the owners manual specifically says reverse which I thought was odd).
Anyway in one or two lengthy threads somebody mentioned that when you park in reverse The car will shut off the ECM and some other battery functions after 10 minutes to prevent the battery from being drained, while parked for long periods of time.
This first showed up in the 2005 Corvettes.

So could this be the issue, maybe part of it? I dont know, cause nobody responded..

It could be that the cold weather this time of year with the techno lights added as well as other factors including some phantom power sucking annomolies, is enough to drain the battery quicker

Sorry to be so long winded but back to the question....
how many of you that have the issue have a Manual transmission

I am just trying to help figure this out, cause I dont want to have this issue myself.
Sorry! I missed your question in your last post, otherwise I would have responded .

To answer your question, yes, I have a manual transmission as well, and I park it in nuetral with the parking brake on all the time. This is interesting because I want to look into what you stated regarding parking it in reverse. I wonder how that works with the computer. My car doesn't have trouble starting, and the cranking power is great because my battery charger is now keeping the battery in good shape. However, before my battery died fr the second time, I drove the car a few days before that, and it did take longer to crank, noticeably longer. Go figure, the next couple days, BAM, I have another dead battery. Ugh
Old 01-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #182
Mistah SS

Drives: 2013 1SS
I'm about to go out of town for a week so I'll see what mine do.
Mistah SS is offline   Reply With Quote