Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #26
SgtPickles69
Team LFX

Drives: Fast
What if y'alls cars are possessed?
SgtPickles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:53 AM   #27
TCAT
SoCal HT5: [COTW 8/15/11]

Drives: 2011 SS SW LS3 T76 Turbocharged
Ha-ha, could be. I sure as hell hope not, as I don't want or need this issue to be a deeper problem and harder fix. If I have to I'll install the stock taillights again, and sell these, or get some sjm taillights coming out. I love those, but it could be quite a long time until they get released to the public.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:57 AM   #28
Magilla gorilla

Drives: 2012 45th Edition 2LT RS,2005 Tahoe
I have the same lights installed on my car since April with no issues. I have ,turned on the show mode for hours at a time at car shows and have had no issues.
I don't drive it every day mostly just on the weekends. Charge the battery back up, then pull the fuse to the tail lights and see what happens then.
Magilla gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:02 AM   #29
TCAT

I'll definitely be doing that tomorrow when I either get a new battery or this current one charged (if its salvageable, as it's testing at 6V currently). Thanks man. These taillights seem like a hit or miss with people, as some have had them for a few years without many issues, and others have issues after even just a few weeks. The inconsistency of their quality control drives me up the wall. Every product is going to have issues from time to time, and I'm okay with that. However, the Technostalgia taillights have way too many issues too often unfortunately. I love the look of them, and if I can get them to stop draining the battery (if that's the true culprit of the battery drain), I may keep them. If not, they must be replaced with an alternative. I'll definitely let you and everyone else know what I find in the coming days. Thanks!
Old 11-30-2012, 01:06 AM   #30
Magilla gorilla

Okay, I hope you find out what the culprit is. Good luck!
Old 11-30-2012, 01:07 AM   #31
TCAT

Thanks!! I need this resolved before the Sunday Motor for Toys show. If not, I'll just deal with the battery problems after I get home from the show. I just hope I find what it is before Sunday.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:14 AM   #32
Magilla gorilla

I hope you find out by Sunday also. I will be there also. Meeting up at supercharger connections then heading over to the show.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:05 AM   #33
TCAT

Excellent, I'll meet you at the shop to caravan over there.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #34
BADMAB
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
Unhook the pink wire going to the battery for about 5 mins to re-set the computer in the lights. If that doesn't work call Technostalgia and ask for Todd. He knows his $h!t.
BADMAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #35
TCAT

Okay, thanks man. I appreciate it. I've heard Todd knows his stuff. After work today I'll be getting my new battery so I can finally test where this power draw is coming from. If it ends up being the taillights which I am certain it is, I'd love for Technostalgia to reimburse me for at least one the dead batteries I've had now. This is bananas.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #36
Aceman1120

Drives: Orange Metallic RS
I've also had problems with these lights. Worked fine for the first two weeks..and then a few led's went out on one light and now my outer driver and passenger lights are all Fogged up the minute it rains or when I go through a car wash. It's truly sad to pay $400 for something that doesn't work properly.
Many people on this forum said to apply extra silicone on them before installation, but Todd said that this next batch of production lights would be fine...Not the case! And besides, why should I have to fix something that I just purchased. WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO FIX SOMETHING WE JUST BOUGHT BRAND NEW!! I actually sent Todd a couple emails with pics, but never heard from him:( That is horrible customer service as well They look great when they work properly, but they look horrible when they don't work properly
Old 11-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #37
TCAT

Awe, sorry to hear that. This definitely gets frustrating doesn't it? In my opinion, $400 for taillights is quite a lot, so I expect a lot in regards to quality. I did buy these with eyes wide open, and plenty aware of what could happen with them unfortunately. The newer ones are barely better than the other generations, as they still have many issues. Ever since I installed them, they've been trouble and I don't even have any LED's out...not yet at least. Now that the battery draining has occured twice since the install of the taillights, it's no longer a coincidence.

At least there was some good news today. My battery was exchanged under warranty, so that saved me $220. Woohoo! Now, I'm only out 1 battery (the stock one) from the first time it went dead. Now, since I lucked out getting it replaced for free under warranty, I have to find out where this battery draw is coming from so I don't see this new battery being drained. I doubt it'll be covered under warranty again.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #38
GTFD2

Drives: C7 2LT Vert 2014/2LT RS 2012
I caught a potential problem before it became one. I had laid the purple wire in the spare tire area and when I placed the tire in it pinched the wire. Had I not noticed it I am sure that it would have worn thru and become grounded.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #39
TCAT

Oh wow, that definitely could have been bad for sure. Good thing you caught that early.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:42 PM   #40
Tom D

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/RS RJT
Tommy,

You are describing exactlly what I am going through and what I described to you at that Super Car Sunday we both were at. I am still having the same problems. Todd from Technostalgia does seem to know what he is doing but a response from him is very iffy. I have been waiting for a new harness and inside passenger light now for over a month. My lights as well put a drain on my battery. My guess it is the resistor's that need to be hooked up in parallel with the lights. They are the ones that are mounted on the aluminum plate. I keep my car on a battery tender just for that reason. Since I have removed the harness I have no draw on my battery. As you said the lights are great when they work. But troubles are rampant with them if you have that kind of luck. If you still have my number call me and I will share with you what else I have done and what else has happened. Or PM me and I will call you. For some reason I lost your number.

Just found your number and left you a voice mail.
2010 2SS/RS RJT, ADM CAI, Borla Shorties, Borla "S" Cat Back, Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger, GMS Wires, GMS Rear Trailing Arms, GMS Rotors, GMS End Links, GMS Tunnel Brace, GMS Rear Tie Rods, GMS 1G Suspension Package, GMS Stage 3 CNC ported heads, GMS Spec'd R12 Custom Ground Camshaft, Snow Meth Injection, GMS Custom Tuned, Norris Catch Can, MTI Brake Lines, Pfadt Coilovers, Sway Bars, Camber Kit, and Rear LCA Reinforcement, , AAC Footwell, Trunk, DRL and Dome LED Lighting, Technostalgia Tail Lights, RED B/A Pedals, Kompression Custom Wheels with Nitto tires, 621RWHP/584RWTQ
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #41
KARLOR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS Black Vert
I had the same problem in the spring, luckily I always found the lights on before the battery died!!! I called Todd at Technostalgia and he sent me a new wiring harness. While waiting the 2 weeks it took to get the new one, I just took the fuse out of the harness when the car was parked it's a pain but better than a dead battery. I love the look of these lights but I would never buy them again!!! Although they have stood behind their product over the year I have had them ,they have had to replace all but 1 of the original lights!!! I have had moisture problems, out leds, and bizarre enough in one 5 of the leds stayed on all of the time!! Combine that with the show mode starting whenever it wanted!!! I had to continue calling each time I had a problem, although Todd was nice, I always felt he just said what I wanted to here, and there was always an excuse why it was taking so long to get a replacement ( 1 of them took a month). Now that my year warranty is gone ( expired in August)the next problem I have ..... these will be gone!!! Maybe I can sell to others for parts!!
Old 12-02-2012, 02:32 AM   #42
TCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
Tommy,

You are describing exactlly what I am going through and what I described to you at that Super Car Sunday we both were at. I am still having the same problems. Todd from Technostalgia does seem to know what he is doing but a response from him is very iffy. I have been waiting for a new harness and inside passenger light now for over a month. My lights as well put a drain on my battery. My guess it is the resistor's that need to be hooked up in parallel with the lights. They are the ones that are mounted on the aluminum plate. I keep my car on a battery tender just for that reason. Since I have removed the harness I have no draw on my battery. As you said the lights are great when they work. But troubles are rampant with them if you have that kind of luck. If you still have my number call me and I will share with you what else I have done and what else has happened. Or PM me and I will call you. For some reason I lost your number.

Just found your number and left you a voice mail.
Damn!!! I definitely knew you had problems with these, but I had no idea they were identical. I'll definitely give you a call tomorrow if you aren't busy. This is crazy stuff man. The issues get old very quickly. Thanks Tom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARLOR View Post
I had the same problem in the spring, luckily I always found the lights on before the battery died!!! I called Todd at Technostalgia and he sent me a new wiring harness. While waiting the 2 weeks it took to get the new one, I just took the fuse out of the harness when the car was parked it's a pain but better than a dead battery. I love the look of these lights but I would never buy them again!!! Although they have stood behind their product over the year I have had them ,they have had to replace all but 1 of the original lights!!! I have had moisture problems, out leds, and bizarre enough in one 5 of the leds stayed on all of the time!! Combine that with the show mode starting whenever it wanted!!! I had to continue calling each time I had a problem, although Todd was nice, I always felt he just said what I wanted to here, and there was always an excuse why it was taking so long to get a replacement ( 1 of them took a month). Now that my year warranty is gone ( expired in August)the next problem I have ..... these will be gone!!! Maybe I can sell to others for parts!!
Geez, talk about bad taillights. Wow, I'm sorry to hear about all the trouble you've had with them. I feel your pain. Thankfully they stand behind their product. However, I reallyyyyyy wish they would stand behind a "good" product that doesn't withhold so many issues. It's a complete pain in the ass dealing win taillight issues. If it was something more simple that isn't needed for safe driving, it wouldn't be as much of a problem.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:47 AM   #43
TCAT

Also, I have an update.

Today, I finally installed my new battery. I got out the voltmeter and began testing the battery. The first test was to check the battery voltage with the red taillight activation wire disconnected, and the second test was to check the battery voltage with the red taillight activation wire connected to the battery.

Test 1 read 12.7 volts with a deviation of +/-1 volt
Test 2 read 12.7 volts with a deviation of +/-1 volt

So, both tests were absolutely identical. So, I have a hard time believing this means that the taillights aren't the thing killing my batteries. Is there any other wire that I should be disconnecting or connecting when trying these test with a voltmeter to see if anything makes a different in the voltage read by one of the components of the taillights that could be causing a possible power draw? If these taillights weren't causing major power draw, how the hell could I have two dead batteries within a 2.5 month span and after installing these taillights, especially when my car has been perfectly fine the other 1.3 years I've owned it (theoretical question)?

I'm stumped.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:53 AM   #44
cody.freeman1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
I understand your frustration with these lights tcat. Mine isn't the same problem but everytime I turn my right turn signal on while driving, my screen tells me to check my right rear lamp, along with the fast ticking. When this happens, the sequential right turn signal if off beat between both passenger lights. The moment I use it while parked or the engine is off, it will work again.

Magnuson TVS2300 with 3.6" Pulley, 1:1 Cog Drive, and RDS Spacer
2" Stainless Works Headers / Cat Delete / 3" Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback
Cold Air Inductions Intake with ADM Scoop
ZL1 Fuel Pump
ADM FPCM
VMAX Ported Throttle Body
DSS 1 Piece Aluminum Driveshaft
JRE 91 Octane Tuned
cody.freeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #45
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
wouldnt your battery be under warranty?
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #46
MGD

Drives: My Camaro
TCAT,
you can not do a draw test like this, you have to hook up the meter in series with the battery. disconnect the positive cable from the battery, set your meter to A DC, put the red + probe on the battery and the black - to the positive cable. Now you reading current draw, that is what you want to see.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #47
TCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody.freeman1 View Post
I understand your frustration with these lights tcat. Mine isn't the same problem but everytime I turn my right turn signal on while driving, my screen tells me to check my right rear lamp, along with the fast ticking. When this happens, the sequential right turn signal if off beat between both passenger lights. The moment I use it while parked or the engine is off, it will work again.
That's definitely strange. These lights are hard to predict. Some of my friends that have these lights are having some interesting issues as well, but they are hard to pinpoint where they are coming from. I hope you figure out the issue soon, and good luck as well. Once they work, they look great, but that's about it. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkdreads View Post
wouldnt your battery be under warranty?
That would definitely be nice , but GM won't touch this car with the way it is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD View Post
TCAT,
you can not do a draw test like this, you have to hook up the meter in series with the battery. disconnect the positive cable from the battery, set your meter to A DC, put the red + probe on the battery and the black - to the positive cable. Now you reading current draw, that is what you want to see.
Awe man, I had no idea. Okay let me try it. So the black probe will go on the positive + Technostalgia red wire, while the red probe goes to the positive + battery terminal?? I don't want to cause any shorts by doing something wrong.

Thanks!!
Old 12-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #48
TCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD View Post
TCAT,
Okay, I followed your directions and I hope I did it correctly. I put the voltmeter on the DC10A setting that's shown in yellow in the picture. I had the positive terminal of the battery disconnected the whole time. Then, I had the positive voltmeter probe touch the positive terminal post of the battery, and the black probe of the voltmeter touching the red Technostalgia wire from be taillights. On my voltmeter it read .105 Amps. Is that right???

Old 12-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #49
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
i know but you said you bought a new battery. so i would assume a new battery has at least year warranty. i just bought a new battery about a month ago and it has a 4 year warranty and 3 year prorated warranty
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #50
MGD

Drives: My Camaro
TCAT,
that's right, now you know that the lights draw only 105mA, which is nothing and about right.
Now, do a test where you put the meter on the battery terminal and the the disconnected battery cable. Like in that pic. You should read about 1 to 2 A.
Attached Images