Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
LSR Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission Tune and diagnostics for engines and auto transmission.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
L99
 
L99's Avatar
 
Drives: B On B L99/SS2 Ground effects
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Gainesville, Ga
Posts: 121
Home Brew Octane

If your car is tuned for 93 octane and you travel out of state you need to find out if 93 octane is available, or use a fuel additive to adjust your octane level or risk damage to your engine.

I knew little about this subject so I did some research on fuel additives. What I learned was suppressing. Most fuel additives will only raise your octane a few tenths. Far short of what you really need. Y
ou need to concern yourself if you travel out of state. Know if you can get the right octane fuel or which booster you need and how much.

I found an interesting site that has some home brews to boost octane. This may not solve your problem when traveling out of state but this website is worth the read.

Check it out.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octanebooster.html

__________________
2010 L99 Black on Black W/Ground effects
Mods: Kenne Bell, LS3 Conversion, LS9 cam,
BMR Stage 2
L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!
 
BullF-16's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North Texas
Posts: 2,407
TORCO accelerator FTW! Its not off the shelf garbage, its concentrated race fuel.

8oz to 10 gals of 91 octane and you got 93!

16 0z to 10 gals of 91 and your at 95
__________________
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, Twin PT6766 turbos at 20psi in progress, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, AM AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp gauges, VMaxx TB, RX monsterCC. Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 300M axles, 3.5"alum DS, MCLeod RXT clutch, 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
redredrage
 
redredrage's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS manual all stock
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Oshkosh, WI
Posts: 141
3 gallons of E85 to 13 gallons of 91 should put you just over 93 octane....

If you put E85 in first and drive to the gas pump it will pull the concentrated mixture into the lines and possibly throw a lean code..... Just make sure to add E85 last and wait a couple minutes before driving so it has time to mix.
redredrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
Iam Broke
PHAT B33
 
Iam Broke's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dark of the Moon
Posts: 1,109
You can run up to 30% E85 and not fear a code, it'll skew your LTFT's around 10% positive and is 94.5 octane.(E10 91 and E85 mixed 3:1) Positive fuel trims are carried over into the PE, just drive 5 miles or so until it adjusts before whoopin' on it.

I.E. 12 gals of E10 + 4 gals of E85 ~= 29% E

http://www.intercepteft.com/calc.html
__________________
Another 1 of 371 '12 T3 LS3 M6's built. TVS on corn.
Iam Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
redredrage
 
redredrage's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS manual all stock
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Oshkosh, WI
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
You can run up to 30% E85 and not fear a code, it'll skew your LTFT's around 10% positive and is 94.5 octane.(E10 91 and E85 mixed 3:1) Positive fuel trims are carried over into the PE, just drive 5 miles or so until it adjusts before whoopin' on it.

I.E. 12 gals of E10 + 4 gals of E85 ~= 29% E

http://www.intercepteft.com/calc.html

True, what's the max gallons of E-85 you've run these days????
redredrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:40 AM   #6
Iam Broke
PHAT B33
 
Iam Broke's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dark of the Moon
Posts: 1,109
I ran up to 60% E on the stock fuel system. Tuned for it though of course. 2:1 E85 and E10 93 is 60% E. Fuel mileage dropped to 17 though on my cruising. E47 I maintain 19 mpg and it's 99 octane. Injector duty cycle peaked at 80% in 50* weather in a hard pull. Seems to be the sweet spot as it was on my Turbo Cobalt LNF.
__________________
Another 1 of 371 '12 T3 LS3 M6's built. TVS on corn.
Iam Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
Tampa Tuning
Like us on Facebook!

 
Tampa Tuning's Avatar
 
Drives: C5 Corvette/ 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 2,396
I make my own beer. Does that count ? lol The neighbors love me because I always have a brew on tap
__________________

Read this: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197715
Vendor : Cold Air Induction/Magnuson
HP Tuners Mail order tuning program
VMAX Throttle body Vendor
www.TampaTuning.com
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
Russell James


 
Russell James's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 SS/RS LS3 IBM
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,351
The trouble with the ethanol % though is... '10s and '11s were designed for 10%. In '12 they made some changes to the Camaro, and now good up to 15%. Get above those percents they validated them to and who knows what the long term affects are. Probably not any problems right away, but anything that the fuel touches from the gas cap to the headgaskets is a guess if there will or won't be any problems down the road from running too high an ethanol content. A friend of mine is a powertrain engineer and he has told me several times, they make quite a few changes before calling it validated for E85. If it were simple, they would just E85 everything in the calibration to get all the great alternative fuel credits with Uncle Sam.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #9
redredrage
 
redredrage's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS manual all stock
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Oshkosh, WI
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
I ran up to 60% E on the stock fuel system. Tuned for it though of course. 2:1 E85 and E10 93 is 60% E. Fuel mileage dropped to 17 though on my cruising. E47 I maintain 19 mpg and it's 99 octane. Injector duty cycle peaked at 80% in 50* weather in a hard pull. Seems to be the sweet spot as it was on my Turbo Cobalt LNF.
In the camaro I run E40 and it works perfectly..... just saying.... No check engine lights.... validated fuel trim to be at 9 to 11 in torque

Now in my old 02 ford escape I run E25.... Tried E40 and it took a few tanks, but It got really cold and wet and then I got a lean code on 2nd oxygen sensor... then again it has exhaust leaks too LOL
redredrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #10
Iam Broke
PHAT B33
 
Iam Broke's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dark of the Moon
Posts: 1,109
If your fuel trims are -3 to -4 on E10, what you say makes sense. E40 would require around 13% more fuel than E10.

Once I get the TVS done I'm going to see if I can run E47 again. Prob need a BAP to pull it off.
__________________
Another 1 of 371 '12 T3 LS3 M6's built. TVS on corn.
Iam Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
redredrage
 
redredrage's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS manual all stock
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Oshkosh, WI
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
If your fuel trims are -3 to -4 on E10, what you say makes sense. E40 would require around 13% more fuel than E10.

Once I get the TVS done I'm going to see if I can run E47 again. Prob need a BAP to pull it off.
My trims were 0 or +1 or +2 on E10..... The point of fuel trims were to makeup for vacuum leaks that develop over the life of the vehicle and later on the blended ethanol. Oh and for fuel economy and air quality (not dumping excess raw fuel out tail pipe)

Essentially no tune is needed if your vehicle doesn't have vacuum leaks or very much of a vacuum leak.

The other point to that is that the additional octane is not needed beyond 94 octane (~E40 blend). I believe this largely is because of compression ratio and again lack of tune but mostly a higher compression ratio would take advantage of the higher ocatane fuel.

Without a tune it actually hurts performance, I'm guessing with a clean drop in K&N air filter plus E-40 I've gained an additional 20 to 40 horse power/torque. More than likely it's 40 engine horse.

Car pulls harder and starts to fish tail because of excess power with moderate acceleration even on perfect ashfault.

That being said, I'd love to see what a naturally aspirated 454, direct injected engine could do at a 13.5:1 or 14:1 compression ratios on E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
The trouble with the ethanol % though is... '10s and '11s were designed for 10%. In '12 they made some changes to the Camaro, and now good up to 15%. Get above those percents they validated them to and who knows what the long term affects are. Probably not any problems right away, but anything that the fuel touches from the gas cap to the headgaskets is a guess if there will or won't be any problems down the road from running too high an ethanol content. A friend of mine is a powertrain engineer and he has told me several times, they make quite a few changes before calling it validated for E85. If it were simple, they would just E85 everything in the calibration to get all the great alternative fuel credits with Uncle Sam.
Ahhhh... Engineering, part of the job is to be cautious and run through the process. What he's saying is likely true.... but the industry largely changed the materials after 2000 to accommodate for ethanol..... maybe not 85% but surely blends beyond 10%.
redredrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
12 ZL1 #1725

 
12 ZL1 #1725's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 Black 6M
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
TORCO accelerator FTW! Its not off the shelf garbage, its concentrated race fuel.

8oz to 10 gals of 91 octane and you got 93!

16 0z to 10 gals of 91 and your at 95
A little dab will do you!!!!
__________________
Sit Back and Enjoy The Ride!!
12 ZL1 #1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.