Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 12-07-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
spacecowby

Drives: 2010 black 2SS/RS
CAI inc install question

Got my CAI put on tonight and when it came time to put on the silicone hose I didn't because mine fit and seems to work just fine. Does this seem ok? Also I will be putting on the scoop tomorrow. I don't plan on lifting the car, so with that being said I just turn the wheels as far as I can to the right and pull back the fender liner. Anything thing else I should know or tips?
Attached Images

Black cars are not hobbies, they are an obsession
spacecowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:28 AM   #2
SPCBA
Blake

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
My tube got no where near the little inlet. Don't know how you did that.
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:02 AM   #3
Johnthegreat

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS black camaro
I have the same problem. How do u get that hose on?
Johnthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:05 AM   #4
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2014 1LT Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Here is a DIY w/ pictures on the scoop install: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257133

All of the DIY installs I have seen show the wheel being removed, I'm not certain if it can be done with it on, I've never installed a scoop.

I am however very intrigued with your hose setup... It looks like the factory hose, but it doesn't appear to be pre-formed like the others I have seen... It also looks longer??? Did you just pull out the "snap in" part that would go into the factory intake tube and jam it on the CAI tube? While I have never tried that, I was under the impression that it would not reach... As long as it seals fine, I would imagine you should be ok. Is that the factory hose, or something aftermarket? It looks nothing like what I've ever seen.

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph SOLD!
2014 Camaro 1LT RRM; A6.JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket... More to come...
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:36 AM   #5
spacecowby

Factory hose. I used to have a K&N air charger I took off. I guess it's good then.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:41 AM   #6
spacecowby

Also I see that I have put my lid on wrong. But I could the life of me not get it into place while trying to get the lip in place on the fender well.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: C7-Z06, Boss 302, Macan S
Take a look at this informative thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260677
Old 12-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
spacecowby

After looking at all the pictures of other CAI's I saw none had a hose like mine. So I looked at my instructions for the K&N and saw that the longer hose was provided with the K&N system.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2014 1LT Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecowby View Post
After looking at all the pictures of other CAI's I saw none had a hose like mine. So I looked at my instructions for the K&N and saw that the longer hose was provided with the K&N system.
Makes sense. You should be fine with it.

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph SOLD!
2014 Camaro 1LT RRM; A6.JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket... More to come...
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
NEVRL8

Drives: 2013 Victory Red 2SS/RS
You'll have a hell of a time putting that scoop on if you dont raise the car and remove the driver side wheel.
NEVRL8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #11
camaro actual

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVRL8 View Post
You'll have a hell of a time putting that scoop on if you dont raise the car and remove the driver side wheel.
+1.. it may be possible but it may not be advantageous.
camaro actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #12
spacecowby

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVRL8 View Post
It actually wasn't that bad. I read that you needed to turn the wheels all the way to the right but that didn't work out. I cranked them all the way to the left which was enough for me to take out the torq screws and two plastic push pins. With that done I popped the wheel liner out a little and taped it to my tire. I didn't have alot of room to work with but it was enough. Got the washer bottle off easy enough and the plastic cut. Like I had read before I put the horn bolt in backwards which made it fairly easy to put in. But that big bolt was a pain. I did end up jacking the car up enough for me to slide under the front end so I could look at was what going on with the bolt. Got it all done within about 3 hours. Haven't had a chance to really "test" it out but I would imagine going from a K&N to a CAI with scoop will be quite a change. But still can't get the CAI lid into the fender like it's supposed to be.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #13
SPCBA
Blake

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
It actually wasn't that bad. I read that you needed to turn the wheels all the way to the right but that didn't work out. I cranked them all the way to the left which was enough for me to take out the torq screws and two plastic push pins. With that done I popped the wheel liner out a little and taped it to my tire. I didn't have alot of room to work with but it was enough. Got the washer bottle off easy enough and the plastic cut. Like I had read before I put the horn bolt in backwards which made it fairly easy to put in. But that big bolt was a pain. I did end up jacking the car up enough for me to slide under the front end so I could look at was what going on with the bolt. Got it all done within about 3 hours. Haven't had a chance to really "test" it out but I would imagine going from a K&N to a CAI with scoop will be quite a change. But still can't get the CAI lid into the fender like it's supposed to be.

It took some force for me to get the lid on. I pushed down on the box while my Dad pushed the lid into place...really tight fit. I was about to take the intake off and see if I installed it wrong before my Dad came to help.
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:12 AM   #14
ForgedReality
Envy

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS - Black hood/hockey
Dude how in the **** did you get your scoop installed with the wheel and fender shroud in place?!! :O I had a hard enough time with the car off the ground, wheel and shroud removed, especially when it came time to cut that plastic air dam. O.o
ForgedReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:12 AM   #15
spacecowby

Not going to lie cutting the horizontal piece was hard. I couldn't get to it with my Dremel. So I used a combination of a serrated blade, scissors and one of those "as seen on tv" super cutters.

Last edited by spacecowby; 12-09-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #16
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Standing by for your thoughts after you get a chance to take it for a drive. Go drive around for a few miles to let the ECM adjust and then go hit a familiar on ramp.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #17
67RS2010SS

Drives: Maroon 67 rs and CRT 2012 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedReality View Post
Dude how in the **** did you get your scoop installed with the wheel and fender shroud in place?!! :O I had a hard enough time with the car off the ground, wheel and shroud removed, especially when it came time to cut that plastic air dam. O.o
I'm with you there, I was sitting in the wheel well to get it in. How in the world could you do this with the tire on?
Old 12-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #18
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Wow. There is no way I would attempt it while keeping the wheel on. You sir are a much more patient man than I. It took me about 30 mins to install the scoop from the time I started jacking up the car to the time I let it down.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #19
spacecowby

Here's some pictures of what I had to work with.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #20
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Looks like people already answered your question about the hose. Thanks for choosing Cold Air Inductions Inc.!