Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
stymie
 
stymie's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: KC, MO
Posts: 438
ZL1 GOODYEAR F1 G:2s... Run On Flats?

I tried searching to determine once & for all if the OEM tires are indeed runflats or conventional rubber as GY makes both. What's the final word? I'm guessing that they are NOT ROFs being as a can of fix-a-flat & a compressor are included.
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
gmgdave
 
gmgdave's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 ZL1 & 08 Suzuki Boulevard C50
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 363
not run flats...you would know. The ride is hard and sidewalls do not flex.
__________________
2012 ZL1 - #413 - IOM - Mods; Exhaust Commander. GMG Third Brake Light Pulsar, Tinted Windows, color matched Engine cover, ZL1 Floor Mats
gmgdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
2Z's4me
 
2Z's4me's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Corvette Z06
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Marcos, California
Posts: 175
Here is information that will explain.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....3A+2+RunOnFlat
2Z's4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
HDRDTD


 
Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trenton, Michigan
Posts: 4,073
And here are the OEM tires for the ZL1. Notice, no mention of run-flat.http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....toModel=Camaro ZL1&autoModClar=Convertible
HDRDTD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Skylane765
Splitter washers, jack pd

 
Skylane765's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 ZL1, 14 Z/28, Cessna 182T
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,611
What drag radials should be used on the ZL1? Tire size and rim size and off set?
Skylane765 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
sjaikman
Aikman Performance Tuning
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 CAMARO
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: JONESTOWN, TEXAS
Posts: 43
yes they are run flats i work for a dealer here in tx. and have had the plaesure(hint of sarcasim) of working with these tires on numerous occasions ...
sjaikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
HDRDTD


 
Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trenton, Michigan
Posts: 4,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjaikman View Post
yes they are run flats i work for a dealer here in tx. and have had the plaesure(hint of sarcasim) of working with these tires on numerous occasions ...
Can you show us in any ZL1 documentation of any kind that the ones for the ZL1 are run-flats?

It seems that the ones for the Vett's are, but I haven't seen any mention in any of the ZL1 information/manuals that would indicate that the ZL1 variations are run-flats.

Not even in the description on tirerack.com.

It seems to me that if the ZL1 tires were run-flats, it would be mentioned as a feature in the sales brochure and windows sticker, etc.

Maybe I overlooked it somewhere?
HDRDTD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
2Z's4me
 
2Z's4me's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Corvette Z06
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Marcos, California
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Can you show us in any ZL1 documentation of any kind that the ones for the ZL1 are run-flats?

It seems that the ones for the Vett's are, but I haven't seen any mention in any of the ZL1 information/manuals that would indicate that the ZL1 variations are run-flats.

Not even in the description on tirerack.com.

It seems to me that if the ZL1 tires were run-flats, it would be mentioned as a feature in the sales brochure and windows sticker, etc.

Maybe I overlooked it somewhere?
I thought the car came with run flats too. This morning when wiping the car down with detail spray I checked the tires and it says "radial tubeless".

I looked through all of the documentation that came with the and could not find any data stating run flat come with the car. You can probably get them as this tire is offered as a run flat for the Corvette.
2Z's4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
scottzl1
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Olive Branch MS
Posts: 78
Not run flats...no "emt or run flat" on my tires.
scottzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #10
MS3DALE

 
MS3DALE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Carmichaels,Pa.
Posts: 2,182
They are NOT run-flats,only the Corvette comes with run-flats.
__________________

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'07 SILVERADO Z71 1500 Ext.Cab Z71 6.0 "VortecMAX"-GMPP CAI-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
MS3DALE

 
MS3DALE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Carmichaels,Pa.
Posts: 2,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Z's4me View Post
I thought the car came with run flats too. This morning when wiping the car down with detail spray I checked the tires and it says "radial tubeless".
That just means the tire is a radial type and has no tubes,just like most tires for the past 40 years.
__________________

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'07 SILVERADO Z71 1500 Ext.Cab Z71 6.0 "VortecMAX"-GMPP CAI-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #12
hognutz


 
hognutz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: tangent or
Posts: 2,471
They are not run flats. 100% per goodyears website.

If you go to goodyears website it is kind of crappy IMO but they have them broken down by ROF (run on flat) and the normal tire.

you can see the runflat sizes are the stagared size like the corvette runs 18 front 19 rear.

the last generation (G1)run flat tires were coded EMT. Have to love marketing they keep calling the same thing something different.

I got confused because the stupid magazines keep staying there the same tires the corvette's use and having come from a corvette those were runflats so I though these were runflats as well.

So the z06 and the ZL1 run the same tire that is actually different tire ha ha. Just like the LSA is a detuned ls9 in the magazines but it is actually a completely different engine.
__________________
2013 ZL1
2013 Dart
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #13
MS3DALE

 
MS3DALE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Carmichaels,Pa.
Posts: 2,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
So the z06 and the ZL1 run the same tire that is actually different tire ha ha. Just like the LSA is a detuned ls9 in the magazines but it is actually a completely different engine.
I know,it can be confusing huh?!?
__________________

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'07 SILVERADO Z71 1500 Ext.Cab Z71 6.0 "VortecMAX"-GMPP CAI-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #14
Ocikat

 
Ocikat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT 45th convertible
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 950
Self-supporting tires feature a stiffer internal construction, which is capable of temporarily carrying the weight of the vehicle, even after the tire has lost all air pressure. To provide "self-supporting" capability, these tires typically attach rubber inserts next to or between layers of heat-resistant cord in their sidewalls to help prevent breaking the reinforcing cords in the event of loss of air pressure. They also feature specialized beads that allow the tire to firmly grip current Original Equipment and aftermarket wheels even in the event of air loss. Because self-supporting tires are so good at masking the traditional loss-of-air symptoms that accompany a flat tire, they require a tire pressure monitoring system to alert the driver that they have lost air pressure. Without such a system, the driver may not notice underinflation and may inadvertently cause additional tire damage by failing to inflate or repair the tire at the first opportunity. Typically, self-supporting tires maintain vehicle mobility for 50 miles at speeds up to 55 mph.
Examples: Bridgestone RFT (Run-Flat Tire), Dunlop DSST (Dunlop Self-Supporting Technology) and ROF (Run-On-Flat), Firestone RFT (Run-Flat Tire), Goodyear EMT (Extended Mobility Technology) and ROF (Run-On-Flat), Kumho XRP, Michelin ZP (Zero Pressure), Pirelli RFT (Run-Flat Technology) and Yokohama Run-Flat and ZPS (Zero Pressure System).

The International Organization for Standardization (ISO), a worldwide federation of national standards bodies, has adopted a run-flat system symbol for extended mobility systems featuring self-supporting run-flat tires.

Auxiliary Supported Run-Flat Systems
Auxiliary supported systems combine unique wheels and tires used for Original Equipment vehicle applications. In these systems, the flat tire's tread rests on a support ring attached to the wheel when the tire loses pressure. The advantage to this type of system is that it will place most of the mechanical task of providing run-flat capability on the wheel (which typically doesn't wear out or need to be replaced), and minimizes the responsibility of the tire (which does periodically wear out and requires replacement). Additionally, auxiliary support systems promise better ride quality because their sidewall's stiffness can be equivalent to today's standard tires. The disadvantage to auxiliary supported systems is that their unique wheels will not accept standard tires and that their lower volume will make this type of system more expensive.
__________________
Top Ten Reasons I Procrastinate

1.
Ocikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #15
scottzl1
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Olive Branch MS
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocikat View Post
Self-supporting tires feature a stiffer internal construction, which is capable of temporarily carrying the weight of the vehicle, even after the tire has lost all air pressure. To provide "self-supporting" capability, these tires typically attach rubber inserts next to or between layers of heat-resistant cord in their sidewalls to help prevent breaking the reinforcing cords in the event of loss of air pressure. They also feature specialized beads that allow the tire to firmly grip current Original Equipment and aftermarket wheels even in the event of air loss. Because self-supporting tires are so good at masking the traditional loss-of-air symptoms that accompany a flat tire, they require a tire pressure monitoring system to alert the driver that they have lost air pressure. Without such a system, the driver may not notice underinflation and may inadvertently cause additional tire damage by failing to inflate or repair the tire at the first opportunity. Typically, self-supporting tires maintain vehicle mobility for 50 miles at speeds up to 55 mph.
Examples: Bridgestone RFT (Run-Flat Tire), Dunlop DSST (Dunlop Self-Supporting Technology) and ROF (Run-On-Flat), Firestone RFT (Run-Flat Tire), Goodyear EMT (Extended Mobility Technology) and ROF (Run-On-Flat), Kumho XRP, Michelin ZP (Zero Pressure), Pirelli RFT (Run-Flat Technology) and Yokohama Run-Flat and ZPS (Zero Pressure System).

The International Organization for Standardization (ISO), a worldwide federation of national standards bodies, has adopted a run-flat system symbol for extended mobility systems featuring self-supporting run-flat tires.

Auxiliary Supported Run-Flat Systems
Auxiliary supported systems combine unique wheels and tires used for Original Equipment vehicle applications. In these systems, the flat tire's tread rests on a support ring attached to the wheel when the tire loses pressure. The advantage to this type of system is that it will place most of the mechanical task of providing run-flat capability on the wheel (which typically doesn't wear out or need to be replaced), and minimizes the responsibility of the tire (which does periodically wear out and requires replacement). Additionally, auxiliary support systems promise better ride quality because their sidewall's stiffness can be equivalent to today's standard tires. The disadvantage to auxiliary supported systems is that their unique wheels will not accept standard tires and that their lower volume will make this type of system more expensive.
Ocikat: I LOVE YOUR SIG! Lol
scottzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #16
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 23,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjaikman View Post
yes they are run flats i work for a dealer here in tx. and have had the plaesure(hint of sarcasim) of working with these tires on numerous occasions ...
The ZL1 DOES NOT HAVE RUN FLATS...


I even tried it once...
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #17
hognutz


 
hognutz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: tangent or
Posts: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
The ZL1 DOES NOT HAVE RUN FLATS...


I even tried it once...
ha ha he was so confident in his post he deleted it.

Well I graduated from grade school and I can confirm they are 100% not runflats.
__________________
2013 ZL1
2013 Dart
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #18
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 23,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
ha ha he was so confident in his post he deleted it.

Well I graduated from grade school and I can confirm they are 100% not runflats.
LMAO... no he didn't (It's still there). I deleted the other one because it was one of those BMW Spammers on the loose. The spammers tend to copy other peoples posts..
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.