Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Old 06-09-2009, 12:43 AM   #1
Metal Camaro

Drives: The beater
Maintenance?

I was at Valvoline today getting the maintenance done on my car and I was reading about of...2010 Camaro. A guy working there asked me am I thinking about getting one....I told him I know i'm getting one and plan on ordering in july. He looked at me alittle funny then started ramblying about the price tag of $45,000 and so on. I told him that dealers are pushing crazy prices around here and that my MSRP for the 2SS I plan to order is barely
38k.

I could have went back and forth with the guy and corrected him on everything he was saying because i've im correct the 2010 Mustang GT and SRT challenger are both in the 45k range and that the camaro is great for the money(no disrespect to the SRT 6.1 Hemi I love that engine too).

He then start talking about the maintenance saying its going to be pricey. He was talking about the brembos and the tires.

I already figured the tires if you get the ones that come on there would be pricey of course but how will maintenance be on the breaks? Anyone have a idea?

One thing I hate is when someone tries to talk me out of something especially THIS car. Mabey its because i'm 21..(22 in oct) mabey they think because I've had 3 jobs at a point just to save up for this car that I dont deserve it or something because i'm too young. The more people try to push me away from it the more I want it. I've earned the right to buy one and I will...I love this car and can afford it.

I'll be sure not to go there for an oil change since jealous people can do crazy things to mess up your plans.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:50 AM   #2
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
H8rs will be h8rs and dude sounds like a total whack job. I'm a car guy myself and find that I end up in these sort of convo's with guys that think they really know something but really don't know jack sh!t. It's sad. Had one such discussion with a co-worker today who's big on high end Eurotrash who tried to say the Camaro was nothing more than a pasticky piece of litter from GM that was no where near being capable of hanging with 335's and M3's, especially in corners. Which I called B.S. on and further comments he made clearly displayed a complete lack of knowledge on the 5thgen and I called him on it. His response? "I don't care". Yeh, and you open your mouth to speak on something like you're some f'ng authority.

Anways, I digress....the car should be relatively cheap to maintain in my mind being that parts are sourced locally and that this is not a very technologically complex car. High costs for brakes and associated parts as well as tires is expected. The higher performing the part the higher the functionality which means a certain degree of complexity is involved in the production/ and or development of the part. Not as bad as your M3 or any other high end Eurotrash.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:50 AM   #3
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
that would have been a fun one to listen to. Sounds like neither of you know what you are talking about. the GT is not $45k and it's a SRT8, not 6. And yeah, it will be expensive to maintain. $90 for an oil change and those Pirellis are about $400 a piece!
Old 06-09-2009, 07:06 AM   #4
kdoske
Waiting For My 1SS/RS SIM

Drives: Sold My Lancer, now carless :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
that would have been a fun one to listen to. Sounds like neither of you know what you are talking about. the GT is not $45k and it's a SRT8, not 6. And yeah, it will be expensive to maintain. $90 for an oil change and those Pirellis are about $400 a piece!

Yeah but maintenence will be expensive. I will proabably not purchase more Pirellis tires and I don't need a Z rating on it for daily driving but them oil changes are deffinately gonna cost ya.
2000 (dealer received allocation):
2500 (order preferenced):
3000 (accepted to production):
3300 (scheduled for prod):
3400 (broadcast):
3800 (produced):
4000/4B00 (available to ship/bayed):
4200 (shipped):
4300 (intermediate, may be multiple):
kdoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
Lauryn200
I Pity The Fool

Drives: Jeep Wrangler '06 & VW GTI 09
Quote:

GT 500 MSRP $46,325
GT 500 convertible MSRP $51,325

I think it's the Shelby has blue w/wite racing stripes....maybe that's what the mechanic was referring too..hope so...

But that's top of the line Mustang not a price "jack-up" on a base w/options
Lauryn200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #6
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
performance parts and cars are always more to maintain. with that said its not like its a ferrari. I would say most parts will cost 25% to 35% more on the camaro for normal cars. But its nothing crazy. I can tell you the 21in tires thats an option the cheapest out there are 450 bucks so plan on 2-3k everytime you replace those if you got that option. I would imagine the brembos and rotors arent cheap.

With that said this guy is misinformed. The only car that is 40k is the challenger SRT8. The mustang GT is like 28 and we all know the camaros prices. I read though the camaro with everything on it in the 2ss model can msrp for 52 or 56k, cant remember which one.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:58 AM   #7
bigd1276
2012 IBM 2SS/RS

Drives: 2012 Imperial Blue 2SS/RS
Found some Yokohamas at tirerack a bit cheaper. My tires "should" last me about four years. You don't eat pizza with Champaigne baby. You wanna play ya gonna have to pay.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...All&loadRank=2

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM S22 RS
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #8
JPAYORK

Drives: 2007 Toyota FJ
Change your own oil and you can pick up a set of Nitto INVOs for about $900-$1100, they've got a W speed rating (168mph) which is still above the limiter.
JPAYORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:38 AM   #9
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauryn200 View Post
GT 500 MSRP $46,325
GT 500 convertible MSRP $51,325

I think it's the Shelby has blue w/wite racing stripes....maybe that's what the mechanic was referring too..hope so...

But that's top of the line Mustang not a price "jack-up" on a base w/options
GT500 is a totally different car than a GT......

Look all I'm trying to say is if you're going out in public and you're going to get in sparring matches with people to defend our beloved Camaro, please, know what you're talking about. You represent us all.........
Old 06-09-2009, 08:43 AM   #10
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGriffin78 View Post
I really want to see a new Z28 go against the GT500.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #11
SicSix6
The Demon Photographer

Drives: 2010 1SS IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Camaro View Post
I was at Valvoline today getting the maintenance done on my car and I was reading about of...2010 Camaro. A guy working there asked me am I thinking about getting one....I told him I know i'm getting one and plan on ordering in july. He looked at me alittle funny then started ramblying about the price tag of $45,000 and so on. I told him that dealers are pushing crazy prices around here and that my MSRP for the 2SS I plan to order is barely
38k.

I could have went back and forth with the guy and corrected him on everything he was saying because i've im correct the 2010 Mustang GT and SRT challenger are both in the 45k range and that the camaro is great for the money(no disrespect to the SRT 6.1 Hemi I love that engine too).

He then start talking about the maintenance saying its going to be pricey. He was talking about the brembos and the tires.

I already figured the tires if you get the ones that come on there would be pricey of course but how will maintenance be on the breaks? Anyone have a idea?

One thing I hate is when someone tries to talk me out of something especially THIS car. Mabey its because i'm 21..(22 in oct) mabey they think because I've had 3 jobs at a point just to save up for this car that I dont deserve it or something because i'm too young. The more people try to push me away from it the more I want it. I've earned the right to buy one and I will...I love this car and can afford it.

I'll be sure not to go there for an oil change since jealous people can do crazy things to mess up your plans.
Not expensive at all if you know how to work on a car. Why not start learning how to work on your car while you wait to get it. An oil change is the easiest thing you could do to your car, I can not believe it when I here people talk about having someone else do it for them.

1SS IOM LS3, GM 4-pack guages, SLP SS Front Emblem, Roto-Fab CAI, Solo Performance Mach X Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Throw Shifter
SicSix6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:11 AM   #12
Matt'sSS
From 2 door to 5 door

Drives: C5 Vert->CGM SS RS M6->SRT8 Magnum
I think the best thing you could possibly do is to research it yourself.

Don't rely on others to tell you what you want, and compare prices for vehicles equipped the way you want them and what features you gain by doing so.

Mustang GT's start somewhere around $28-29k, GT500 starts somewhere around $47-48 I think, and has a guzzler tax around $1k. Not sure on Challenger pricing, I never entertained it since I'd be looking at the SRT-8 which gets horrible mileage in comparison, costs a lot more, and does not perform as well.

The general consensus from most of the comparison test articles is something along these lines...

Challenger RT is the largest, most comfy cruiser, has the most realistic back seat, but as such the worst performer. The Mustang GT with track pack is the lightest, most nimble of the three, but has the least power at a little over 300 hp. The Camaro the fastest, handles very well, but does not have the lateral grip of the Mustang with track pack.

Do your own research, drive them, then decide what you want to spend your money on.

The best thing you can do right now is educate yourself so when you do see them in person and drive them you can see if what you thought was important to you on paper & what other people told you was important to them (which is usually phrased as you will want ______, when it's what they want, not necessarily what you want).

This is why all the different mags get different results, they weigh things differently. I think it was Car & Driver that actually put the Mustang on top, but when their winning arguments are things like sequential tail lights are cool... I tend not to give their arguments much credit towards what is important to me.
Matt'sSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #13
Matt'sSS
From 2 door to 5 door

Drives: C5 Vert->CGM SS RS M6->SRT8 Magnum
As far as maintainence... Any new performance vehicle I buy is going to get synthetic oil, so that's a wash. Paying a little bit more for break pads is a VERY small price to pay to have such quality & performance out of them.

This is one of the reasons I'm very happy with the Camaro, it actually comes with parts of the quality I would want to replace them with! Most people would be calling their parts upgrades to replace what is OEM maintenance for ours, that is not a bad thing!!!

If you can afford this car, you can afford to have to spend an extra $50-100 every year or two for brake pads, especially when they can save you from a $250-1000 deductible (and a whole hell of a lot more in insurance rates getting jacked up for a 21 yr old) from keeping your ass out of the car in front of you...
Matt'sSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #14
InfernoFlame
SUPRMNN

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM/IOM
Luckily where I ordered from has this going for themselves...http://www.kchev.com/AdWizardAd/6012464...definitely worth it. But Im not sure how often they let you take advantage of new tires
InfernoFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:29 AM   #15
InfernoFlame
SUPRMNN

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM/IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoFlame View Post
Luckily where I ordered from has this going for themselves...http://www.kchev.com/AdWizardAd/6012464...definitely worth it. But Im not sure how often they let you take advantage of new tires

Tires for Life/Brake Pads for Life

Wouldn't it be great not to have to worry about buying new tires or brake pads for your vehicle for as long as you own it? Knoepfler Chevrolet makes this a reality! When you purchase a qualifying new or used vehicle, you receive new tires and/or brake pads for as long as you own your vehicle.*

Call 866-520-9856
today for full details about this exciting program!

*Customer is required to follow a specific maintenance schedule. Some restrictions apply. See dealer for details.
InfernoFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #16
Metal Camaro

Drives: The beater
Quote:
GT500 is a totally different car than a GT......

Look all I'm trying to say is if you're going out in public and you're going to get in sparring matches with people to defend our beloved Camaro, please, know what you're talking about. You represent us all.........
Well first off dude I know what i'm talking about. I dont know why I said the Mustang gt but I ment the GT 500 like the guy posted. Second I wasnt sparring off with the guy...I went to get my damn oil and other fluids changed. I was sitting there reading up on the camaro in my car. I never said anything about the prices of the other cars to him I just thought about it to myself.

I said in my post that I didnt feel like going back and forth with the guy so I said what I had to say and agreed. I defended the Camaro good enough and if you have a problem with it so much the you come to florissant missouri and stop by that valvoline to fight with a guy over a car. Its not that big of a deal to me as long as I get my car.

And I will have the 2SS lol. FIgured it would be that bad....this isnt my first performance car but i've never owned brembos and always wanted them so it made me wonder.

Thanks alot to all of you with the positive feed back...we are all brothers and sisters here for the same ol thing.

Last edited by Metal Camaro; 06-09-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Metal Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #17
JJ#48Racing
Fear the Hawg!

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
People like to be negative about others buying new vehicles becase they are jealous they aren't getting one. All true sports cars will have slightly higher than average maintenance costs because of the high performance products they require. Tires will probably be the worst if you get the Pirrelli's. Sythetic oil will be a little costly because this engine holds so much. Everything else won't be bad though.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #18
4.0=SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS IOM/Blk, Sunrf
Smoke em if you got em :-)
4.0=SS is offline   Reply With Quote