Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 01-15-2015, 06:00 PM   #1
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
No seat/air bag light in the DIC.

So we spent some time looking in to how to trick the car into thinking the OE seats are in the car with the air bags, this is for guys that want to remove the OEM seats and go with racing seats, we think we got it only one more thing to do, and thats to remove the seat belt out of the car for guys that are going with a restraint like a 5 point harness.

will post more info soon.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:09 PM   #2
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Old 01-15-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
Demon 1LE
Scarecrow

Drives: like a granny
Excellent !
Old 01-15-2015, 06:29 PM   #4
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Would your solution also apply to guys who have the stock seats and want to swap into OEM Recaros?

This could get really interesting.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:40 PM   #5
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Would your solution also apply to guys who have the stock seats and want to swap into OEM Recaros?

This could get really interesting.
With the Recaros they fit now, i know i did an install last week on a 2010 car, all we had to do was move the passenger sensor and bracket over to the Recaro seat, and change out the seat belt receiver.

Max 40min job.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:42 PM   #6
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
With the Recaros they fit now, i know i did an install last week on a 2010 car, all we had to do was move the passenger sensor and bracket over to the Recaro seat, and change out the seat belt receiver.

Max 40min job.

You're making it too easy to spend money. Mrs. Blur is not going to be happy.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:27 PM   #7
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post

Max 40min job.
your the best ofer...
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:41 PM   #8
Not Guilty

Drives: ZL1
Update?
Not Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:44 PM   #9
Chevrolade
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
In for update as well spit it out lol I'm annoyed already with my light and having to hit menu twice to see the mph instead of service airbag
Chevrolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:39 AM   #10
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

First test was a fail, new resisters and test 2 is today.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:34 PM   #11
Chevrolade
Account Suspended

Awsome I'm in to buy whatever's needed thank U
Old 02-06-2015, 09:29 AM   #12
130R
Machine Washable.

Drives: Western Digital.
Any progress Ofer?

I've made a modification to one of the systems on my car, and it wasn't entirely straightforward as the BCM tests the circuit on startup; I wouldn't rule out something like that going on with the airbag system.

This is something I've been meaning to look into, but just haven't felt like pulling my seat apart to see what's going on.

Are you trying this in Az or Cali? If in Cali, feel free to hit me up if you want another pair of eyes to help work it out...
130R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:26 PM   #13
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

Test 2 and 3 did not work, so i have a new way to try will test this coming week.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:36 AM   #14
Chevrolade
Account Suspended

Awesome glad u ain't giving up
Old 02-10-2015, 02:50 PM   #15
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
When you have this all figured out please send me a pm and I will gladly buy one for driver and passenger sides.

2010 Black SS/RS M6 | UNDER CONSTRUCTION |Build Thread
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:56 AM   #16
130R
Machine Washable.

Drives: Western Digital.
Hard to believe no-one has come up with a solution for this in 5 years; must be pretty tricky...
130R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #17
SixSpeeder

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Sub, I have my front passenger seat removed.

SixSpeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:20 PM   #18
se7en

Drives: 87 Pinto on 32's
LPE had done this years ago on their drag car. I believe they used an 8ohm resister of some sort along those lines. I was going to do this until i found out about an insurance company denying a claim because of it. I dont know the outcome but i want to say it was a nasty lawsuit. It use to drive me crazy but i learned to live with it. Not worth the risk for anyone using their car as street with occasional track.

Different strokes for different folks
se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:59 PM   #19
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
Not worth the risk for anyone using their car as street with occasional track.
Tampering with the air bag system on any street driven vehicle is not even legal by federal standards. I did some research a few years ago and found out you need to get approved by the feds to modify the system. I popped my side curtains on the track and was looking for a way to disable them after I replaced everything. There was a form to fill out, if for example you were handicapped and the steering wheel air bag interfered with your ability to drive the vehicle.

So some will say so what, I'll never get caught. You're probably right. But here's the catch. Let's say you street drive your car and take a buddy in your car and get in an accident. He gets hurts, air bag fails to discharge. Insurance company will investigate why the bags didn't discharge. Now your found negligent, even if the accident was another car's fault. Your buddy now sues you and the other car.

I've experienced getting sued by a "friend" when we car pooled to work. A kid made a left in front of us and caused us to hit a ditch and put the car on its side. He dislocated his shoulder. Later I find out his lawyer is coming after me and my insurance trying to claim I had bad brakes, the car was old, etc. It was all BS and a money grab. I even had to go to court over it. I don't recall if we settled or it got dropped, but it was a hassle and pretty much ended our friendship. The accident was the kids fault.

So it's not whether or not you would get sued, but whether you are found negligent. Today's society is sue crazy.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:31 PM   #20
762ch

Drives: 2011 2SS
Do not modify the airbag system, especially on a street car. That's a terrible idea.
762ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:09 AM   #21
SixSpeeder

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
Tampering with the air bag system on any street driven vehicle is not even legal by federal standards. I did some research a few years ago and found out you need to get approved by the feds to modify the system. I popped my side curtains on the track and was looking for a way to disable them after I replaced everything. There was a form to fill out, if for example you were handicapped and the steering wheel air bag interfered with your ability to drive the vehicle.

So some will say so what, I'll never get caught. You're probably right. But here's the catch. Let's say you street drive your car and take a buddy in your car and get in an accident. He gets hurts, air bag fails to discharge. Insurance company will investigate why the bags didn't discharge. Now your found negligent, even if the accident was another car's fault. Your buddy now sues you and the other car.

I've experienced getting sued by a "friend" when we car pooled to work. A kid made a left in front of us and caused us to hit a ditch and put the car on its side. He dislocated his shoulder. Later I find out his lawyer is coming after me and my insurance trying to claim I had bad brakes, the car was old, etc. It was all BS and a money grab. I even had to go to court over it. I don't recall if we settled or it got dropped, but it was a hassle and pretty much ended our friendship. The accident was the kids fault.

So it's not whether or not you would get sued, but whether you are found negligent. Today's society is sue crazy.
Good points, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762ch View Post
Do not modify the airbag system, especially on a street car. That's a terrible idea.
I wouldn't call removing a seat modifying an airbag, but since there is an airbag built into the seat, I guess you could refer to it as that. I ended up reinstalling my passenger seat a couple days later, it's a 5 min job, but I didn't even consider the possibility of violating federal laws. I probably won't be doing that again.

SixSpeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:59 PM   #22
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSpeeder View Post
Good points, thanks for sharing.

I wouldn't call removing a seat modifying an airbag, but since there is an airbag built into the seat, I guess you could refer to it as that. I ended up reinstalling my passenger seat a couple days later, it's a 5 min job, but I didn't even consider the possibility of violating federal laws. I probably won't be doing that again.
Just saw an interesting segment on MotorWeek on Velocity. They were interviewing two professional accident investigators. They were talking about the data recorders in cars used to collect accident information, and then they flash a document from the NTHSA about the EDR.

I googled "Can I remove my EDR?" and found the link to the PDF. An interesting read. So it seems as an owner of the vehicle it is not "illegal" to modify or remove the air bag system, but a dealer or shop cannot do it. NTHSA "recommends" against it.

The document also discusses who can access the data from a crash, and how it can be used against you. So my earlier point about getting into a crash with a passenger, regardless who is at fault, you can easily be found out if you have disabled air bags. Just more to think about.

I found the data that is collected interesting. That's the exact data GM pulled from my car when my air bags went off, which makes total sense. Raytheon was the company that sent an engineer out to read the black box.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...87269000,d.eXY