Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #51
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Got a set of used 18" Mickey Thompson ET Street drag radials mounted on some Corvette Grand Sport replicas. Should be enough meat on them to get me by for a few outings to the drag strip.

Next up will be my Hurst line-lock I've had sitting on my shelf for over a year now.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #52
Chris-10
Tri-County Camaro Tampa

Drives: 2ss/rs vr 6m
Great mods man! Really like the car!!
Old 01-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #53
caverman

Test fit the drag radials to see how they would fit and how I'm going to work with them at the track. Good thing I did because I ran into some issues and with the car being even lower with the small circumference getting it up in the air is even more of an issue now.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 01-06-2014, 02:38 PM   #54
caverman

Major issue with fitting the drag radials. After converting over to the FE4 suspension, the rear sway bar drop links stick down quite a bit. So much that they touch the inside of the wheel. Unfortunately I didn't think to look at them before I rolled it backwards some. It initially felt like I had the emergency brake on but after double checking all the brakes and stuff I figured something had to be wrong. I wasn't thinking about those threads but didn't take long to find the problem. Gotta love the metal that accumulated inside the wheel.

Bust out the butter cutter and took off about about 3/4". Even then it still doesn't clear by a whole bunch. It should work though.

The wheels are definately used now. Indented grove and all.
Attached Images

Build Journal
Old 01-26-2014, 01:45 PM   #55
caverman

After having my line lock sit on the shelf for almost 2 years now I finally installed it because I bought the 18" drag radial setup. I didn't want to drill holes in my console and I only go to the strip about 3 or 4 times a year. I came up with the idea of using a remote starter that we've used to turn over the motor to check valves. I picked it up from Auto Zone for about $15 along with a 2 prong trailer hitch plug for about $3.

The idea is that instead of having a switch to turn on the system I would plug in the remote starter to activate it. Then just hold it in my had while doing a burn out and then drop it beside me when done. I don't think it will be in the way while I'm actually racing but if it does I'll just run some wire over to the passenger side and plug it in over there.

When done, unplug, tuck the plug back up behind the dash, and store the remote starter in the trunk.

So far it seems like it will work just fine but I still need truly see how it works at the strip.
Attached Images

Build Journal
Old 03-01-2014, 04:46 PM   #56
caverman

Added some rear ZL1 splash guards.
Attached Images

Build Journal
Old 03-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #57
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2012 VR 2SS RS M6
Nice mods! Pedals look familiar to.
#1 car 2010 Black 2LTRS 1/28/10-10/15/11, 17900 miles
#2 car 2012 Red 2SSRS 10/15/11-
Mods: Outlaw Axelback & J Pipes/Heritage&Stillen Grill/Halltech CAI/Apex Scoop,Washer Bottle/OEM Strut Tower Brace/VMax T/B/ G.M. Blade Spoiler/SLP Splitter/TSW Nurburgring wheels & Michelin Super Sport tires/JBA Shorty Headers,HiFlow cats & tune/Remote Clutch resovoir/ Pedders Supercar coilovers and Pedders 27mm/32mm ZL1 Spec sway bars / Whiteline craddle Inserts & Upper rear arm bushes/ 416/414 RW HP/TQ
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:01 PM   #58
SSeric

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Noice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

SSeric's Build Thread
SSeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:07 PM   #59
caverman

Went to the Drag Strip yesterday to try out the new line-lock and drag radials. The first couple times I got some not so good burnouts. Too much going on and I didn't have any routine down. After a couple runs though I start getting my mind/routine down and got some better burnouts. I still need some more seat time and probably should start out in 2nd gear for the burnouts next time.

I'm also trying to find the sweet spot for launching now. I got up to around 4200 RPM launches but might go up to 4500 next time since I didn't have any bogging or much spinning.

All in all I picked up a consistent .3 tenths in the 1/8th though. I've had an 8.24 run before on street tires but that was a one time deal. Typically I would run 8.4 time frame on a normal basis. With drag radials I was consistently running 8.1 time frame with a best of 8.14. Based on some calculations I found that should be about a 12.70 in the 1/4 mile.

I think with more time with the drag radials and better burnout/launches I should be able to get into the 8.0 area. I also need to learn to work the line-lock on the line a little so I can get away from the red lights. This was my only red light of the night though.
Attached Images

Build Journal

Last edited by caverman; 06-20-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #60
caverman

ADM solid cradle bushings and carbon upper control arm bushings.
Attached Images

Build Journal
Old 11-14-2014, 11:08 AM   #61
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
ADM solid cradle bushings and carbon upper control arm bushings.
so how do you like these over the inserts?
L99CAMA2011 is online now   Reply With Quote