Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:49 AM   #26
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS with Gun metal Gray Stripes
Mine is a garage dweller too, however i'm not one of those guys that worry about how many miles i have on it though. I drive mine from my Va home to my NC home every now and then and it feels like good sex when i drive her! So far i have about 23,000 Miles on her and the majority are HWY Miles....i dont think thats really that bad for a May 2010 purchase!

Blk-Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:01 AM   #27
Thirsty

Drives: Inferno Orange SS
As long as I'm not pushing snow with the front bumper, I'll be driving mine. I'm not "saving" the car for the next guy. With that said, I can understand storing the car when the roads are in bad shape. I considered keeping another car around as a daily driver. I just couldn't justify the extra expense.
Foose Speed Black Wheels
Borla ATAK Catback Exhaust
Thirsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:06 AM   #28
DRKS1D3

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible LS3
Everybody is different; therefore, everybody will "care" for their possessions differently (my brother in-law and sister in-law buy new vehicles and between them and their kids, they have them trashed in a month i.e food wrappers all over, Pepsi spilled all over, stains from God knows what all over the upholstery, crayons ground into the carpet...oh well, it's just a car right?). My Dad always had a work car before he retired and kept the nice vehicles in the garage for a sunny day. I do the same. I work in the engineering dept. at a concrete plant. There is always concrete dust and other crap blowing around, so I don't drive it to work (I wish I could, but that stuff is nasty on paint). I look forward to nice weekends so I can take it out and enjoy it. I love driving this thing, it's a blast! There is just something in my brain that won't allow me to drive my car in adverse weather/conditions. I don't have any need to anyway. When I went to buy it, I told the saleman, "I not only want to buy that one, but I also need a DD. Sell me two cars.". His eyes lit up like a pinball machine (commission sales!). To each his own. Enjoy your cars.

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #29
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Today is one of those "happy" drive to work days

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355836985.507086.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  242.0 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355836994.707246.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  197.7 KB

Felix - Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 12-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #30
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy TrackBeast View Post
I couldnt agree more! My Dad is the worlds worst, has a 2011 C6 with less than 1000 miles on it....I just dont get it.

My brother in law would beat that... although not a Corvette, he's got a Bimota Mantra 2 with about 30-ish miles on it.
PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #31
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Taylor Made SLDR
I don't drive any of mine here in MN winters.

Why? 1. because I don't have too (Have a f150)
2. Because snow tires or not, no Camaro is going through more than an inch or 2 of snow
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #32
DRKS1D3

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post
I don't drive any of mine here in MN winters.

Why? 1. because I don't have too (Have a f150)
2. Because snow tires or not, no Camaro is going through more than an inch or 2 of snow
Now you did it! A couple weeks back, a fracus erupted on here when I said there were better options for driving in the snow than a RWD Pony car. People came out of the woodwork to claim these cars are like Sherman Tanks in up to a foot of snow. To each his own, I just look at it as, "If you have enough money for a Camaro, you'd better have enough money for a FWD or a 4x4 to get through Northern USA winters.". Priorities.

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #33
heRS

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
I've driven plenty of rwd cars in the snow, have done a few amazing bat-turns and recovered, and have managed to avoid most idiots who don't have a clue how to drive in the snow. The one time I did get caught in a freak snowstorm it dropped about six inches of very wet, heavy sloppy snow. The Camaro handled waaaaay better than any of those other rwd sleds I will have to agree.
However, I store it from Nov to nearly April due to the fact that I have a 4x4 pickup I lovingly call "the untidy whitey" whose sole purpose is to take winter's abuse so Trigger don't have to. I have owned a single Chevrolet long enough to watch it go from great shape bodywise to rust-bucket on wheels due to the crappy mix of sand, salt and gravel they use on the roads and highways in eastern Washington.
The biggest issue though is other drivers. So many people just do not get how to drive in the snow and ice. We get all these morons from sunny states who think 4 or all wheel drive makes them invincible. They are flying along an icy highway going 65 and 70 and then realize "oh, I can't stop very quickly on this icy stuff..." Usually too late. I'd rather suck up my pride and store my Camaro and let the idiots who can't drive in the snow slam into my old pickup. A beater with a heater costs less than a good set of snow tires and wheels for the Camaro so I don't see a downside except for not being able to drive my cool car for a few months.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #34
TooCool5
Resident Gearhead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
I couldnt agree more! My Dad is the worlds worst, has a 2011 C6 with less than 1000 miles on it....I just dont get it.
I don't get it either, I drive mine as long as there is no snow.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #35
Swacer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Some of us live where there is snow. Thus, DDing it just isn't in the cards.
~Imperial Blue Metallic~LS3~M6~GM High Spoiler~GM Ground Effect~GM Tower Brace~Heritage Grill~Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake~THR Exhaust~Stainless Power Headers~VMAX Ported Throttle Body~Tuned By Frost~Barton Short Throw~ShowStopper Side Markers
Swacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #36
scottyvegas
X SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRSM6 1988 Sportside
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshep214 View Post
Have had mine for 2 years added over 100 rwhp and its a great garage ornament lol. Fact is I love driving it but not to work or Walmart or any place where people who don't have respect will be. There will be weeks in between when I drive it and not.
This....

MODS: H&R SPRINGS, QTP CUT OUTS, PAINTED STRIPES, PAINTED SS EMBLEMS, PAINTED FIN, PAINTED REAR TAIL LAMP BEZELS, HERITAGE GRILLE, DUCTS, SKIP SHIFT, CENTERFORCE CLUTCH, HURST SHORT THROW, CAI INTAKE, SCOOP, WASHER RELO KIT, KOOKS HEADERS, KOOKS HI FLOW CATS, CUSTOM TUNE,AAC STUFF, BAER ROTORS, HAWK PADS, FUZZY DICE, LASER BEAMS, DISCO BALL, SYBIAN & 3 CHROME VALVE STEM CAPS................
scottyvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #37
skibik

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT
Here in Northern Minnesota if I were to only drive my car on nice days I would maybe get to drive it 1 month a year. If I were to have had to park it because of snow or winter this year I would have had to park it early October and then of course it is usually past April before the salt residue if washed off the tar. I had the idea of buying a vehicle for winter but what I found is people think there used vehicles are worth a huge chunk of gold. Well mine is not going to get parked this year. I decided it is just another car and I am going to enjoy it like it was meant to.

Dean.
Vmax ported TB
Solo Performance HFC's
Oracle Int. lighting package, blue
DefenderWorx billet aluminum shifter
Elite Engineering Oil CC
My 2012 1LT build thread http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...81#post6138581
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #38
nm1458

Drives: 2010 ss/rs
I wouldn't even have made it out of the driveway this morning snow tires on it or not. Just to put it in perspective the school's usually have about 20-25 snowdays a year here.
nm1458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #39
IPT

Drives: '02 Trailblazer, '12 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm1458 View Post
I wouldn't even have made it out of the driveway this morning snow tires on it or not. Just to put it in perspective the school's usually have about 20-25 snowdays a year here.
Sometimes I need 4WD to get out of the driveway . I get frustrated at the wheel spin in 4WD sometimes leaving from a light up here and that is with Blazzaks all around. Guess I could drive slower but what fun would that be ?

Driving my SS up here in the winter would be a joke. I've driven many camaros (had a '79, and '80 Z28's) many winters over the years and I'm glad i have the option not too drive in the snow now! It was fun when there were a few snow days a year but every day for 5 months , no thanks. It would nothing short of totally frustrating. Maybe if I didn't live in the MTN's but even then I think it would be a PITA. I've seen a few along with Challengers and Mustangs but my guess is they don't have an option to store them. I am fortunate enough to be able to.

I do miss her though!! usually I love winter but this years I am rooting form spring to come early .
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #40
dshep214

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ssRS Ls3
Here is a serious question tho. I do keep mine in the garage alot only comes out on nice days but I was wondering about the gas sitting in the tank when it's not being used. How much gas should I leave in it? I'm worried about the ethanol and gas separating. I start it atleast every two weeks but is that enough? I'm cammed full bolt ons and this last time I started it it ran really rough for the first few min.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #41
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Here is a serious question tho. I do keep mine in the garage alot only comes out on nice days but I was wondering about the gas sitting in the tank when it's not being used. How much gas should I leave in it? I'm worried about the ethanol and gas separating. I start it atleast every two weeks but is that enough? I'm cammed full bolt ons and this last time I started it it ran really rough for the first few min.
I threw some stabil in with a full tank. I don't start mine at all while its in storage as I have heard that the vehicle can't get up to a high enough temperature to burn off any water vapor as it would if you were to actually drive it.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #42
pincoin
Camaro owner since 1982

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS-RS Conv IBM L99
I never use my Camaros in the winter, been that way for 30 years. Doesnt bother me to let it sit there and collect dust. I have other toys that sit for years without being touched at all. In a nutshell to each his own. Isnt the world ending Friday anyway?
pincoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #43
xkloid
ITZ COOL

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS/RS
I don't drive mine in winter as soon as it snows, they use way too much salt here in Wisconsin. I have a pickup for winter driving, though if the roads are cleared off and the pavement is dry, I will take it for a half hour spin now and again. You never know though, might not have clear roads until April.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #44

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Mine sits for weeks at a time...never a problem with the gas. Best advice I've heard is to keep it full...less room for any condensation, crud happens with only a small amount of fuel....I think it takes a lot longer than a few weeks for any gas to go bad...
90503 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #45
jshaf

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
if you lived in a cold climate you would understand when the white stuff starts hiiting the ground. the salt they treat the roads with is really bad for a vehicle. I am still driving mine but the weather has been mild and I just keep waiting til the big snow and extreme cold starts, when that comes I tender her and let her set for 6-8 weeks or mid march. go with out her for a couple months and you are more thankful when you get to drive her again! it's like taking her home from the dealership all overagain!
Old 12-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #46
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Now you did it! A couple weeks back, a fracus erupted on here when I said there were better options for driving in the snow than a RWD Pony car. People came out of the woodwork to claim these cars are like Sherman Tanks in up to a foot of snow. To each his own, I just look at it as, "If you have enough money for a Camaro, you'd better have enough money for a FWD or a 4x4 to get through Northern USA winters.". Priorities.
These cars are tanks in the snow . Tell you what Thursday we a forecasted to get 12-18 inces of snow. Thats right a foot to foot and a half. , That guy from Minn, does not know what the hell he is talking about when he said , "A Inch to 2 inch Max is all the Camaro will go thru," I have already drove it in 8 inches and it plowed right thru the stuff. I will take pitcures/Video's and prove this car is great in the snow, We have blizzard watches and warning out right now. Minn guy better stay put if he is getting this storm, And I will be driving and having a blast . This should put this nonsense to bed that the Camaro can not drive in snow,
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #47
Infinite-T

Drives: 2011 1LT RS RJT
It is because I enjoy and care about my Camaro that I do not drive it during the winter. Around here, it only has to have a heavy frost over and they dump SAND, SALT, AND CHEMICALS on the roads to keep the ice off. I prefer not to subject my "pride and joy" to that kind of crap. I plan to enjoy it for many years to come, and want it to last that long.

My Camaro had only 3000 miles on it before it had as many chips and micro scratches on it as the 13 year old Altima it replaced, and it take much better care of the Camaro.

Here is what it looks like when we get only about half an inch of snow:

Last year, we had a bad storm sneak up on us before I stored it and this happened:

This year, the first "freeze over" we had the Camaro got tucked in until things are nice again.

She's a DD for sure during spring, summer, and fall, but once it starts freezing up the pickup takes over the DD duties... and I miss the Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
If you'd rather drive a civic that eats your soul than a camaro that eats your wallet then thats your choice.
Infinite-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:45 PM   #48
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 96 S-10 LS
I don't think the OP was saying you shouldn't store it during the winter, just he dosen't see how you can bear not driving it for such a long time.
I know it would drive me crazy.....

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #49
Infinite-T

Drives: 2011 1LT RS RJT
I cannot understand having this beauty and just driving it on the weekends or having it in storage for months. Life is too short not to enjoy this bad boy!
[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I don't understand why people just let their cars sit around collecting dust and cobwebs....
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickGM View Post
Come on guys, it's a car. It's designed to be driven. No one likes the thought of winter road salt getting everywhere but it isn't going to destroy your car...
Yea, I know. I was just explaining it for the folks down south who said they dont understand.

And yes, I miss driving the Camaro and cant wait for a decent day when I can take take her out and stretch her legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I don't think the OP was saying you shouldn't store it during the winter, just he dosen't see how you can bear not driving it for such a long time.
I know it would drive me crazy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
If you'd rather drive a civic that eats your soul than a camaro that eats your wallet then thats your choice.
Infinite-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #50
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Zie-Bart / Undercoating ,
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote