Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
954camaro
 
Drives: Camaro SS/RS inferno red interior
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ft.Lauderdale FL
Posts: 609
Talking A6 3.91 gears or 1LE differential

Alright guys I kinda want this thread to be helpful for us A6 guys who are looking into the new gears 3.91 gears that chevy is now gonna start warranting. From my findings on this forum I have learned the following information which is helping me decided what are my options on this category.

1. A lot of M6 guys here have stated that the 3.91 gears are too much gear for our cars due to our differential being more aggressive than their M6. I don't think anybody that actually has a A6 that has the 3.91 gears in their car stated that it is too much for there car but you will have to be easy on the gas because it can be wild but it still is totally do able.

2. Because I know people will still say it is too much gear for our car can't us A6 guys just switch our super aggressive differential to a 1LE differential there for we don't have an aggressive 1st and 2nd gear? The only problem I see with is that I don't know if chevy will still keep our warranty with that part because it is more than just the 1LE gears.

3. If a A6 guy were to go and just get the 3.91 gears then some supporting mods that would help make these gears more practical would include some sticker tires and wider rims. Nitto Invo would be good for a set of street tires I would believe. My current set up is TsW Nurbergrings 20x9 front/20x10 rear. Invo Tires 275/40front 315/35. If anybody would like to include some suspension mods that would help with grip that would be great! The only thing I think that would help for sure would be some solid subframe bushings.

So list your opinion on this matter so we can have a solid amount of information for people who are thinking about doing this mod when this modification because fully available to everyone!
(Apparently if anybody leaves in Florida you can change your gears under warranty at the Chevy location in Fort Lauderdale next to sunrise if anyone was interested to do it now)
__________________
VMAX TB, Borla Catback Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Racing scoop,ZL1 grille, Nightowl JDP upgrade halo kit, interior lights, abl dash light pipes, VIS ams hood,Pfadt ZL-Spec sway bars, TSW Nurburgring F:20x9 R:20x10, Nitto Invo F:275/45 R:315/35, Spohn trailing arms, Toe rods, pfadt rear subframe bushing, ridetech level 2 coilovers, 3.91 GM differential, BMR diff bushings....more to follow
954camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
tanur420
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 320
interested in this. as i am also torn between the 3.91 and the 3.73
__________________
tanur420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
Apex Chase

 
Apex Chase's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 22,892
The difference between the A6 and M6 is that the automatic transmission is geared more aggressively. That means it takes less gear in the rear to achieve the same result overall. 3.91 in an A6 car is compatible to 4.11 in the M6 but with even higher cruising RPMs. 3.73 in the A6 produces similar results to 3.91 in a M6 car. With supporting mods and tires you can do 3.91 in the A6 car, you just have to be careful. Especially in the wet.
__________________
Apex Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
954camaro
 
Drives: Camaro SS/RS inferno red interior
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ft.Lauderdale FL
Posts: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
The difference between the A6 and M6 is that the automatic transmission is geared more aggressively. That means it takes less gear in the rear to achieve the same result overall. 3.91 in an A6 car is compatible to 4.11 in the M6 but with even higher cruising RPMs. 3.73 in the A6 produces similar results to 3.91 in a M6 car.
Alright I get that now chase but my problem still remains I want my chevy warranty still intact as much as possible and they don't have 3.73 gears so the only choice I got is 3.91 gears.
__________________
VMAX TB, Borla Catback Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Racing scoop,ZL1 grille, Nightowl JDP upgrade halo kit, interior lights, abl dash light pipes, VIS ams hood,Pfadt ZL-Spec sway bars, TSW Nurburgring F:20x9 R:20x10, Nitto Invo F:275/45 R:315/35, Spohn trailing arms, Toe rods, pfadt rear subframe bushing, ridetech level 2 coilovers, 3.91 GM differential, BMR diff bushings....more to follow
954camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #5
blazzin1


 
blazzin1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seffner, FL
Posts: 4,263
1. The aggressiveness of the 3.91 gears in the A6 has nothing to do with the "differential" being different, it is because the 1st and 2nd gears in the automatic transmission are more aggressive than on the SS M6 transmission. If I remember correctly, the gears in the 1LE M6 transmission are even less aggressive than the regular SS M6 transmission.

2. The differential in a 1LE is the same as the differential in a A6 or M6 SS, just with 3.91 gears. As previously stated, it's the "aggressive gearing" in the transmission, coupled with the "lower" 3.91 gears, that makes some people say that the overall combination is too aggressive. I can't speak from personal A6 experience, but in reality, unless you're worried about getting the lowest possible ET's at the track, the 3.91's would probably be perfectly fine in an A6 street car. It's when you start getting into the high HP numbers and/or serious drag racing that the aggressiveness of the 3.91's becomes a problem.

3. Overly-sticky tires are only going to compound the aggressiveness, and you could start breaking driveline parts, such as axles, spider gears, etc.
__________________
ARH 1-7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats, Stainless Works 3" Retro-Chambered Cat Back, New Era OTR CAI, AAM 3.91 R&P, Eaton TrueTrac Posi,
JRE Billet Caps, LPW Diff Cover, BMR Drag Race Suspension Package (DRP007), BMR Toe Rods (TR004), BMR Xtreme Drag Bar (XSB004),
BMR Sway Bar End Links (ELK004), BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop (DSL014), Farks No-Hop UCA Bushings, Pfadt Solid Subframe Bushings,
QA1 DA Front Coilovers, Strange Engineering DA Rear Coilovers, Mike Norris Catch-Can, V-Max CNC PTB, Aeromotive Fuel Rails.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:31 PM   #6
954camaro
 
Drives: Camaro SS/RS inferno red interior
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ft.Lauderdale FL
Posts: 609
Alright all good info so what would you guess would be the max amount of HP/TQ that someone should go up too with having the 3.91 gears before switching to 3.73 gears.
__________________
VMAX TB, Borla Catback Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Racing scoop,ZL1 grille, Nightowl JDP upgrade halo kit, interior lights, abl dash light pipes, VIS ams hood,Pfadt ZL-Spec sway bars, TSW Nurburgring F:20x9 R:20x10, Nitto Invo F:275/45 R:315/35, Spohn trailing arms, Toe rods, pfadt rear subframe bushing, ridetech level 2 coilovers, 3.91 GM differential, BMR diff bushings....more to follow
954camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:19 PM   #7
jbrown13
 
jbrown13's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS L99
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Posts: 479
I have an A6 SS w/ 3.91 gears. Making 477 rwhp, 427 ft-lbs torque on Dynajet. I have about 75 passes on the gears and haven't broken anything yet. I have worn out a set of MT ET Street Drag Radials though. 1st and 2nd gear don't last very long, but I think if you had more HP and torque you could launch in 2nd gear and do just fine. 2nd is 2.36 ratio, whereas 1st on a 4L80E is 2.48. My car is set up to do this in M mode, but I'm a little short on HP and torque, so my 60' is not quite as good as with 1st gear.

Jeff
jbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #8
62nalide

 
62nalide's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW
Posts: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown13 View Post
I have an A6 SS w/ 3.91 gears. Making 477 rwhp, 427 ft-lbs torque on Dynajet. I have about 75 passes on the gears and haven't broken anything yet. I have worn out a set of MT ET Street Drag Radials though. 1st and 2nd gear don't last very long, but I think if you had more HP and torque you could launch in 2nd gear and do just fine. 2nd is 2.36 ratio, whereas 1st on a 4L80E is 2.48. My car is set up to do this in M mode, but I'm a little short on HP and torque, so my 60' is not quite as good as with 1st gear.

Jeff
What does your car run at the track with that much power tho? 60ft? MPH?
__________________
VVT cam equipped.
N/A 6.2L 7.20s in the 1/8!

Last edited by 62nalide; 01-03-2014 at 06:48 PM.
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:32 PM   #9
jbrown13
 
jbrown13's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS L99
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
What does your car run at the track with that much power tho? 60ft? MPH?
PB so far 11.500 @119.90 mph, 1.69 60' with a converter that seemed to be only stalling to about 2600 rpm. Converter has been replaced, but haven't had good weather yet, hopefully tomorrow.
jbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:22 PM   #10
62nalide

 
62nalide's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW
Posts: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown13 View Post
PB so far 11.500 @119.90 mph, 1.69 60' with a converter that seemed to be only stalling to about 2600 rpm. Converter has been replaced, but haven't had good weather yet, hopefully tomorrow.
You got a slip? Not bad. What size tire?
Thinking about 3.91s but most can't 60ft my 3.27 gear 1.61 60ft. scared I won't hook.
__________________
VVT cam equipped.
N/A 6.2L 7.20s in the 1/8!
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:35 AM   #11
jbrown13
 
jbrown13's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS L99
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Posts: 479
Yes, I have a slip somewhere in my drawer. If you are suggesting I post it, I have no idea how to and not interested in being on the "fast list". Tire was MT 305/45 R18. Car dead hooked, but converter didn't flash high enough and tune pulled a lot of timing at launch. We're working on that, as car should be capable of 1.5x 60'.

Getting off topic and hijacked the OPs thread, didn't we? Sorry OP.

Edit: Went to Valdosta today (1/4/14) and ran 11.362 @ 121.09 MPH with a 1.63 sixty foot. DA was minus 524 Ft.

Last edited by jbrown13; 01-04-2014 at 05:47 PM.
jbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:41 PM   #12
954camaro
 
Drives: Camaro SS/RS inferno red interior
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ft.Lauderdale FL
Posts: 609
It's alright but now back on topic!
__________________
VMAX TB, Borla Catback Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Racing scoop,ZL1 grille, Nightowl JDP upgrade halo kit, interior lights, abl dash light pipes, VIS ams hood,Pfadt ZL-Spec sway bars, TSW Nurburgring F:20x9 R:20x10, Nitto Invo F:275/45 R:315/35, Spohn trailing arms, Toe rods, pfadt rear subframe bushing, ridetech level 2 coilovers, 3.91 GM differential, BMR diff bushings....more to follow
954camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:09 PM   #13
Tampa Tuning
Like us on Facebook!

 
Tampa Tuning's Avatar
 
Drives: C5 Corvette/ 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 2,443
Gears really make a car more fun. My Corvette is manual with 3.90 gears. It really balanced out my 450ish RWHP. Without the gears, the car was fast. With the gears, the car was quick and fast.
Traction doesnt happen till 3rd gear on a 3200 pound car.

I calibrated a lot of Gen5 Camaros with 6L80 transmissions and 3.91 gears. With just bolt ons, guys are blowing through 1st and 2nd, and chirping 3rd. Sounds fun, and is fun, but at any decent power level, the 3.91s in the 6L80 transmission dont hook up well.

So I guess my point is if you are going to gear that high in an automatic, be mindful of your power level goals.

Phil
__________________

Read this:
Vendor : Cold Air Induction/Magnuson
HP Tuners Mail order tuning program
VMAX Throttle body Vendor
www.TampaTuning.com
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #14
62nalide

 
62nalide's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW
Posts: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown13 View Post
Yes, I have a slip somewhere in my drawer. If you are suggesting I post it, I have no idea how to and not interested in being on the "fast list". Tire was MT 305/45 R18. Car dead hooked, but converter didn't flash high enough and tune pulled a lot of timing at launch. We're working on that, as car should be capable of 1.5x 60'.

Getting off topic and hijacked the OPs thread, didn't we? Sorry OP.

Edit: Went to Valdosta today (1/4/14) and ran 11.362 @ 121.09 MPH with a 1.63 sixty foot. DA was minus 524 Ft.
Reason I asked because of the MPH, just saw your 11.36 pass. Only wondering what everyone else run with the 3.91 gears. great pass none the less just MPH is a little low IMO. But that explains the pulled timing.
__________________
VVT cam equipped.
N/A 6.2L 7.20s in the 1/8!
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:42 PM   #15
jbrown13
 
jbrown13's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS L99
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
Reason I asked because of the MPH, just saw your 11.36 pass. Only wondering what everyone else run with the 3.91 gears. great pass none the less just MPH is a little low IMO. But that explains the pulled timing.
I'm old and not good sometimes at figuring what people are meaning by the words they choose. I must admit I'm somewhat in that situation with the above post. Are you saying 121 mph is slow for an 11.36 pass in a 4,020 lb. (with driver) Camaro?
jbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #16
Jrichards73
 
Jrichards73's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 612
I couldn't even tell you what I ran at the track because I went up in smoke on both test and tune passes, got my slips, balled them up and threw them in the floor cussing, LOL! Spent the rest of the night just turning wrenches on Camaros that I went with.
First time I ever went and at night so I drove through the water trap both times because I couldn't see it. So I was told anyways. Continental "snow" tires probably aren't the best drag strip tires either... She is a blast on the street though! When ever I break down and get some rubber on the stock rims I'll try again, during the day if possible, but i didn't really buy the car for that. Unfortunately?, I am surrounded by a bunch of guys with drag 67-69's and a couple mid 2000 Camaros with $$ that have more aggressive plans for me haha!

I've abandoned 1st gear on the street for the most part, I'll put it down there for the occasional demonstration or Ricer, not that I need to, second is pretty much 1LE 1st gear, my 1st gear is like reverse +.
__________________
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:18 AM   #17
62nalide

 
62nalide's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW
Posts: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown13 View Post
I'm old and not good sometimes at figuring what people are meaning by the words they choose. I must admit I'm somewhat in that situation with the above post. Are you saying 121 mph is slow for an 11.36 pass in a 4,020 lb. (with driver) Camaro?
Definitely not being disrespectful, I normally judge by time slips thats why I mentioned if you had one to post my little way of reading a car's ability. A car with a setup like yours should be around 124-126 mph if it's on the money. Of course depending on DA and conditions. Definitely not slow.
__________________
VVT cam equipped.
N/A 6.2L 7.20s in the 1/8!
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:38 AM   #18
Rhino79



 
Rhino79's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cabot, AR
Posts: 2,268
Jbrown makes good power, just is a full weight car. It's on kill mode. Lol
__________________

Specializing in LS performance and calibrations.
Remote tuning, In-house builds, and Parts. Custom Grind LS and VVT Camshaft packages.
Ryan@gogwatney.com Aaron@gogwatney.com www.Gwatneyperformance.com
Home of THE Fastest Stock Displacement Naturally Aspirated GEN 5! 10.45@133.55
Rhino79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:43 AM   #19
jbrown13
 
jbrown13's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS L99
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
Definitely not being disrespectful, I normally judge by time slips thats why I mentioned if you had one to post my little way of reading a car's ability. A car with a setup like yours should be around 124-126 mph if it's on the money. Of course depending on DA and conditions. Definitely not slow.
Wasn't suggesting you were being disrespectful, just making sure I understood what you meant. I would love to see 124 to 126 MPH, but doubt it will happen unless I, or the car, shed a lot of weight, and I would be willing to bet I won't shed much, if any. I did post the latest slip over on the V8 Fast List thread, and it appeared from the times already on the list my MPH was similar to what others are seeing at my ET. It appears I'll be number 5, by the slimmest of margins, in my category. Rhino does a great job with his tuning.
jbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:58 AM   #20
62nalide

 
62nalide's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW
Posts: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown13 View Post
Wasn't suggesting you were being disrespectful, just making sure I understood what you meant. I would love to see 124 to 126 MPH, but doubt it will happen unless I, or the car, shed a lot of weight, and I would be willing to bet I won't shed much, if any. I did post the latest slip over on the V8 Fast List thread, and it appeared from the times already on the list my MPH was similar to what others are seeing at my ET. It appears I'll be number 5, by the slimmest of margins, in my category. Rhino does a great job with his tuning.
Gotcha, I'm also tuned by Dr. L99 (RHINO79) LOL
missed the full weight part. I'm used to seeing lighter cars now and starting to get used to what they run.
__________________
VVT cam equipped.
N/A 6.2L 7.20s in the 1/8!
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:01 AM   #21
62nalide

 
62nalide's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW
Posts: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
Jbrown makes good power, just is a full weight car. It's on kill mode. Lol
Just saw the weight part. He's in your hands and know he is on that KILL mode!
__________________
VVT cam equipped.
N/A 6.2L 7.20s in the 1/8!
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #22
Pro Stock John
Writer / Blogger
 
Pro Stock John's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS / 1951 Mercury
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,464
I'm undecided on gears, I guess I'll see how I feel when our local racing starts up again.
__________________
PROJECT HEAVY CHEVY: 2010 Camaro SS/RS |1SS | L99 | CGM
13.15@106 1.95 | Stock
12.06@113 1.70 | Bolt-Ons
Mods: GPI Tune | Bo White PTP | Kooks Headers | Hooker Maxflows | Circle D 3200 | New Era OTR | RCR Intake Manifold | Powerbond UDP

LSX Record List: http://motorhed.com/xf/threads/lsx-r...the-list.6022/
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #23
jbrown13
 
jbrown13's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS L99
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
I'm undecided on gears, I guess I'll see how I feel when our local racing starts up again.
John, I feel your pain. First gear is so quick with the 6L80E with a 3.91 rear gear you stand the chance of running out of first before the 60' timing lights. My logs from yesterday show I was in first gear about 1.95 seconds, and my sixty was 1.637. More power and torque and I could see the car shifting before or at the 60' lights.
jbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #24
954camaro
 
Drives: Camaro SS/RS inferno red interior
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ft.Lauderdale FL
Posts: 609
Would it be better/possible just to start off the line in 2nd gear? Not an expert about this stuff so I hope that makes sense haha
__________________
VMAX TB, Borla Catback Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Racing scoop,ZL1 grille, Nightowl JDP upgrade halo kit, interior lights, abl dash light pipes, VIS ams hood,Pfadt ZL-Spec sway bars, TSW Nurburgring F:20x9 R:20x10, Nitto Invo F:275/45 R:315/35, Spohn trailing arms, Toe rods, pfadt rear subframe bushing, ridetech level 2 coilovers, 3.91 GM differential, BMR diff bushings....more to follow
954camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #25
jbrown13
 
jbrown13's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS L99
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by 954camaro View Post
Would it be better/possible just to start off the line in 2nd gear? Not an expert about this stuff so I hope that makes sense haha
That's what I alluded to in a previous post and it does make sense if you have loads of power and torque. I have tried it and it's not quite as quick as launching in 1st gear at my power level.
jbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
3.91 gears, automatic, cheverolet, l99, warranty

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.