Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
SSSoon

 
SSSoon's Avatar
 
Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 812
Do we actually need front brake dust shields?

Sorry, posted this in the wrong section before.

Been thinking about better brake cooling for when I am on a road course. It would seem that you'd get a lot better cooling if the dust shield wasn't there on the fronts. Has anyone just removed them? Pros and cons?
__________________

Car having open heart surgery. Used to be: SLP TVS2300 L99, bolt in cage, headers, high flow cats. Coming soon: dry sump LS7, 6-point welded cage, Wilwood brakes, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z28&1LE suspension bits. Keeping: Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 10.5x20 Forgestar CF14s, 29530R20 Michelin PSS, remote oil cooler, splitter, CAI, Pedders coil overs & bushings etc, SJM Afterburner Tail lights, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
Mr. iNCREDIBLE


 
Mr. iNCREDIBLE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SoCal Baby...
Posts: 2,387
we have dust shields?

then why the frack are my wheels full of dust 5 minutes after I wash them?
__________________
"A world 100% full of Prius drivers is still 100% addicted to oil. " ~ E. Musk
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
SSSoon

 
SSSoon's Avatar
 
Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
we have dust shields?

then why the frack are my wheels full of dust 5 minutes after I wash them?
Here's a pic from another thread of a guy who routed a brake duct through it. It's kind of behind the rotor. Trying to figure out if taking it off would help and if so, if there would be any negative consequences.
Attached Images
 
__________________

Car having open heart surgery. Used to be: SLP TVS2300 L99, bolt in cage, headers, high flow cats. Coming soon: dry sump LS7, 6-point welded cage, Wilwood brakes, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z28&1LE suspension bits. Keeping: Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 10.5x20 Forgestar CF14s, 29530R20 Michelin PSS, remote oil cooler, splitter, CAI, Pedders coil overs & bushings etc, SJM Afterburner Tail lights, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
JusticePete
CamaroCross Founder
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post
Sorry, posted this in the wrong section before.

Been thinking about better brake cooling for when I am on a road course. It would seem that you'd get a lot better cooling if the dust shield wasn't there on the fronts. Has anyone just removed them? Pros and cons?
You have tracked you car already, correct? Is the coating on the shield blistered from heat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post
Here's a pic from another thread of a guy who routed a brake duct through it. It's kind of behind the rotor. Trying to figure out if taking it off would help and if so, if there would be any negative consequences.
That will work
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
SSSoon

 
SSSoon's Avatar
 
Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
You have tracked you car already, correct? Is the coating on the shield blistered from heat?



That will work
Have not really looked at the shield - will have a look though.

Is the "dust shield" really a heat shield that is there to stop things like brake hoses from melting? I'm on braided stainless but am still wondering what possibly negative effects effect taking off the shield would have. Wonder why GM put it there
__________________

Car having open heart surgery. Used to be: SLP TVS2300 L99, bolt in cage, headers, high flow cats. Coming soon: dry sump LS7, 6-point welded cage, Wilwood brakes, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z28&1LE suspension bits. Keeping: Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 10.5x20 Forgestar CF14s, 29530R20 Michelin PSS, remote oil cooler, splitter, CAI, Pedders coil overs & bushings etc, SJM Afterburner Tail lights, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
JusticePete
CamaroCross Founder
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post
Have not really looked at the shield - will have a look though.

Is the "dust shield" really a heat shield that is there to stop things like brake hoses from melting? I'm on braided stainless but am still wondering what possibly negative effects effect taking off the shield would have. Wonder why GM put it there
We literally melted and blistered the paint off them on the PUSA Camaro. We thought about ducting , there was no brake fade and then just took them off. Check the condition of yours. If they look good leave everything alone. If they are being overheated, you are driving fast enough to benefit from ducting.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Mr. iNCREDIBLE


 
Mr. iNCREDIBLE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SoCal Baby...
Posts: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post
Here's a pic from another thread of a guy who routed a brake duct through it. It's kind of behind the rotor. Trying to figure out if taking it off would help and if so, if there would be any negative consequences.

thanks I was being sarcastic..
__________________
"A world 100% full of Prius drivers is still 100% addicted to oil. " ~ E. Musk
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
SPCBA
Blake
 
SPCBA's Avatar
 
Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: a VA line somwhere
Posts: 3,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
We literally melted and blistered the paint off them on the PUSA Camaro. We thought about ducting , there was no brake fade and then just took them off. Check the condition of yours. If they look good leave everything alone. If they are being overheated, you are driving fast enough to benefit from ducting.
it looks like his started to blister at some point.
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #9
JusticePete
CamaroCross Founder
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
it looks like his started to blister at some point.
That is a good thing. It means you are using your 5th Gen well! If you are planning to be faster and run more track days installing ducts is a good idea. Before you do that, are you experiencing brake fade?
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
carrs_crew
Livin the Dream
 
carrs_crew's Avatar
 
Drives: sold
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Good Land
Posts: 404
would brake ducts using the complete zl1fascia with inner wells and ducts be enough or would I also need to exhaust the heat as well?
carrs_crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
JusticePete
CamaroCross Founder
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrs_crew View Post
would brake ducts using the complete zl1fascia with inner wells and ducts be enough or would I also need to exhaust the heat as well?
The ZL1 ducting will do the job until you move from track days car to race car
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
Synner


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: overseas
Posts: 3,553
What I've been wondering is will the ZL1 fender liners work with SS fascia? And do they provide any extra tire clearance? I've heard that stated once but haven't seen anything definitive.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #13
JusticePete
CamaroCross Founder
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
What I've been wondering is will the ZL1 fender liners work with SS fascia? And do they provide any extra tire clearance? I've heard that stated once but haven't seen anything definitive.
I haven't tried a retro fit, but it sounds like someone will... soon.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:43 PM   #14
carrs_crew
Livin the Dream
 
carrs_crew's Avatar
 
Drives: sold
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Good Land
Posts: 404
there is a portion of the well that extends under the front fascia that is screwed to the front. The ss fascia does not go as deep as the zl1 fascia. as for tire clearance, when I installed I didn't notice any extra room. the wells "bolt up" inside the wells at the same spots. Hope my wording was not too difficult to understand
carrs_crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #15
SSSoon

 
SSSoon's Avatar
 
Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 812
Checked my dust shields, they are fine. No blistering. But this is a good way to see when ducts might become useful. Thanks Pete!
__________________

Car having open heart surgery. Used to be: SLP TVS2300 L99, bolt in cage, headers, high flow cats. Coming soon: dry sump LS7, 6-point welded cage, Wilwood brakes, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z28&1LE suspension bits. Keeping: Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 10.5x20 Forgestar CF14s, 29530R20 Michelin PSS, remote oil cooler, splitter, CAI, Pedders coil overs & bushings etc, SJM Afterburner Tail lights, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.