Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

ZL1 Wheels/Tires Wheels and tires discussion for ZL1

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #1
Darolexman
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 10
Send a message via Skype™ to Darolexman
2013 ZL1 maximum tires size

What is the maximum rear tires size for 2013 ZL1? would 315 fit?


Thank You
Ali
Darolexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,098
There are a lot of 5th Gens with 315s. Most say they don't rub. If you drill down as ask if they rub going over a really big bump with passengers or a load in the trunk or ...

The Z/28 or ZL1 mule had 315s in the rear. They went down to 305s for the same reasons.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
SlingShot


 
SlingShot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seminole, Fl.
Posts: 6,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
There are a lot of 5th Gens with 315s. Most say they don't rub. If you drill down as ask if they rub going over a really big bump with passengers or a load in the trunk or ...

The Z/28 or ZL1 mule had 315s in the rear. They went down to 305s for the same reasons.
I think he was asking about Max tire size on the OEM wheel .
__________________
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
I think he was asking about Max tire size on the OEM wheel .
Yep.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
Darolexman
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 10
Send a message via Skype™ to Darolexman
Yes, Am thinking to replace size 305 with Wider Rear Tire.
Darolexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
autoguy
Ridergraphix.com

 
autoguy's Avatar
 
Drives: 80Z, 94Z, 99 SS,09,10,11 SS Pace Ca
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,494
I have 315's on the rear of my SS Pace Car on 11" Wide Hurst Wheels. No rubbing so far, but I don't use the car to haul loads or People......
__________________

The Best Fitting, Highest Quality, Stripes for your Camaro!!!

ZL1 Chin Skid Plate http://www.ridergraphix.com/camaro_ZL1_nose_plate.html
ZL1 Splitters http://www.ridergraphix.com/Camaro_Z..._Splitter.html
autoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,098
The wider the rear tire the more the ZL1 will understeer.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:18 AM   #8
ace32x
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: puyallup
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The wider the rear tire the more the ZL1 will understeer.
Even if you go bigger on the front aswell?
ace32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:47 AM   #9
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The wider the rear tire the more the ZL1 will understeer.
but the most BA the car will be with wider
__________________

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 Z06 next
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #10
fab410

 
fab410's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Twin Turbo Super Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 775
I have 315's on the rear of my car with air suspension...no rub when slamming it (bairly) so my guess would be, there should be no reason for them to rub regardless of the load
__________________

AGP Twin Turbo, FAST lsxR manifold, ID850's, Squash Return Style Fuel System, ZL1 Bumper/Side Skirts/Hood/Carbon Insert, Havoc Rear Diffuser, PFADT Coilovers/Sway Bars/Adj. Tie Rods/Solid Subframe Bushings/Trailing Arms, Eboost2, SW Retro Chambered 3" Catback, R1 Concept Drilled/Slotted Rotors, 360 Forged Straight 5's, Matte Metallic Purple Wrap, Anvil Carbon Spoiler, Full AAC Lighting, etc
fab410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
BlackinBlack
 
BlackinBlack's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Black
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The wider the rear tire the more the ZL1 will understeer.
Would a 315 tire induce much more understeer or a 305? I would think adding more power could balance out the understeer. If so how much would it take? 30HP ? - 100HP?

Interested in your response.
__________________
2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #12
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace32x View Post
Even if you go bigger on the front aswell?
Your are right about the front to rear tire ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
but the most BA the car will be with wider
Bad Assiery has value

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackinBlack View Post
Would a 315 tire induce much more understeer or a 305? I would think adding more power could balance out the understeer. If so how much would it take? 30HP ? - 100HP?

Interested in your response.
The 5th Gen Camaro is a unique automobile. The front end is a virtual pivot design similar to a lot of what comes out of BMW. The IRS is one of the very best in the industry, though you'll find many that disagree with me about the IRS. The short story is that a 5th Gen is a pushing car. It is hard to drive a pushing car fast. Of all the 5th Gens the ZL1 has the least amount of understeer. That is due to the aggressive sway bar ratio 25mm front and 28mm rear. The 1LE uses a semi-square wheel and tire setup. The tires are the same size, but the rear wheels are 1" wider. To calm down the 1LE, Chevrolet installed a 27mm front sway bar. When I say calm down, I am saying the 1LE was too neutral it had a slight bias to oversteer or should I say more aggressive bias than the ZL1. To go back to a more understeer bias they increased the front bar size.

The 1LE demonstrates how sensitive the 5th Gen is to wheel and tire changes and that leads us back to the ZL1. In our two OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitation 5th Gens we ran a square wheel and tire set up. Our tire choices are limited to 200 tread wear of higher. The GY ZL1 spec rubber on your cars is well matched to the car. The side wall carries the robust 5th Gen with ease. The tread is sticky while the outer tread blocks are harder. Combined they stick well and deliver good wear for such a high performance tire. The L/28 Lingenfelter / Pedders Camaro ran on ZL1 305/35/20s. It was lowered and scaled. The front tires ate up the front fender inner liner. They didn't rub anything else. That aside, they and the car were fast. BAD FAST. At the Invitational our safe no cone Autcross run was good for 3rd out of the 58 fastest street cars in America. On our best run we clipped a cone. That's racing. On the road course you stage in the hot pits and start your first lap from a dead stop. The first lap is the warm-up lap. Danny Popp launched from the start line t start his warm-up lap. On his first hot lap the drive shaft coupler failed. His warm-up lap from a dead start was good for the 5th Fastest Lap at the 2012 OUSCI. It is pretty easy to do the math in the difference between a standing start lap and a flying lap. I thought we had the fastest car at the OUSCI when we were headed to SEMA. This is a 610 RWHP 4,200 Camaro with a full interior, ac, etc... I still think we had the fastest car at the OUSCI, but that and $3.50 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.


The L/28 Won this One

Depending on how you use your ZL1 and how deep your pockets are I have some strong opinions on wheel and tire combinations. There is now available a Michelin Pilot Sport Cup (think ZR1 tires) in a 305/30/20. These are D.O.T. legal road course slicks. They would be a full 2 seconds faster minimum that the ZL1 Spec GYs were on our L/28. Bridgestone makes the RE-11 in a 305/30/19/XL which overall is my personal choice for the 5th Gen including the ZL1. This is a full 2" short wheel and tire combination. You lower the ZL1 a full inch without changing the suspension.
Drive a 5th Gen Squared and you'll never run a staggered wheel and tire package on the car again.


We have done bushes, bars and coils on a number of ZL1s. None of our clients have take the step to the next level with wheels and tires. As soon as we do, I'll break out the data-logging equipment and post results.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #13
ace32x
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: puyallup
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Your are right about the front to rear tire ratio.



Bad Assiery has value



The 5th Gen Camaro is a unique automobile. The front end is a virtual pivot design similar to a lot of what comes out of BMW. The IRS is one of the very best in the industry, though you'll find many that disagree with me about the IRS. The short story is that a 5th Gen is a pushing car. It is hard to drive a pushing car fast. Of all the 5th Gens the ZL1 has the least amount of understeer. That is due to the aggressive sway bar ratio 25mm front and 28mm rear. The 1LE uses a semi-square wheel and tire setup. The tires are the same size, but the rear wheels are 1" wider. To calm down the 1LE, Chevrolet installed a 27mm front sway bar. When I say calm down, I am saying the 1LE was too neutral it had a slight bias to oversteer or should I say more aggressive bias than the ZL1. To go back to a more understeer bias they increased the front bar size.

The 1LE demonstrates how sensitive the 5th Gen is to wheel and tire changes and that leads us back to the ZL1. In our two OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitation 5th Gens we ran a square wheel and tire set up. Our tire choices are limited to 200 tread wear of higher. The GY ZL1 spec rubber on your cars is well matched to the car. The side wall carries the robust 5th Gen with ease. The tread is sticky while the outer tread blocks are harder. Combined they stick well and deliver good wear for such a high performance tire. The L/28 Lingenfelter / Pedders Camaro ran on ZL1 305/35/20s. It was lowered and scaled. The front tires ate up the front fender inner liner. They didn't rub anything else. That aside, they and the car were fast. BAD FAST. At the Invitational our safe no cone Autcross run was good for 3rd out of the 58 fastest street cars in America. On our best run we clipped a cone. That's racing. On the road course you stage in the hot pits and start your first lap from a dead stop. The first lap is the warm-up lap. Danny Popp launched from the start line t start his warm-up lap. On his first hot lap the drive shaft coupler failed. His warm-up lap from a dead start was good for the 5th Fastest Lap at the 2012 OUSCI. It is pretty easy to do the math in the difference between a standing start lap and a flying lap. I thought we had the fastest car at the OUSCI when we were headed to SEMA. This is a 610 RWHP 4,200 Camaro with a full interior, ac, etc... I still think we had the fastest car at the OUSCI, but that and $3.50 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.


The L/28 Won this One

Depending on how you use your ZL1 and how deep your pockets are I have some strong opinions on wheel and tire combinations. There is now available a Michelin Pilot Sport Cup (think ZR1 tires) in a 305/30/20. These are D.O.T. legal road course slicks. They would be a full 2 seconds faster minimum that the ZL1 Spec GYs were on our L/28. Bridgestone makes the RE-11 in a 305/30/19/XL which overall is my personal choice for the 5th Gen including the ZL1. This is a full 2" short wheel and tire combination. You lower the ZL1 a full inch without changing the suspension.
Drive a 5th Gen Squared and you'll never run a staggered wheel and tire package on the car again.


We have done bushes, bars and coils on a number of ZL1s. None of our clients have take the step to the next level with wheels and tires. As soon as we do, I'll break out the data-logging equipment and post results.
very interesting post lots of great information ^

as my car will see more strip use than an occasional auto x or lapping day at a full truck. How do you think these sizes would do in the hopes of getting the power down a 315 35 20 nitto nt05r in the rear and then correcting that understeer you mentioned with bumping the front up to a 295 35 20 aswell?
__________________
2013 victory red zl1, 2012 1500 silverado, 95 nissan 240sx 383 ls1 11:1 stroker dart 225 heads ms4 cam fast 102 manifold ;D
ace32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #14
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace32x View Post
very interesting post lots of great information ^

as my car will see more strip use than an occasional auto x or lapping day at a full truck. How do you think these sizes would do in the hopes of getting the power down a 315 35 20 nitto nt05r in the rear and then correcting that understeer you mentioned with bumping the front up to a 295 35 20 aswell?
Before I answer that, you don't like the Vette wheel with an MT for the strip?
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #15
ace32x
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: puyallup
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Before I answer that, you don't like the Vette wheel with an MT for the strip?
i plan to get an MT set up down the road after i do a few more engine mods, but my current tires will be out before then and will need replacing and the nitto nt05r seems to be a good option cost wise and size options
__________________
2013 victory red zl1, 2012 1500 silverado, 95 nissan 240sx 383 ls1 11:1 stroker dart 225 heads ms4 cam fast 102 manifold ;D
ace32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #16
DanSS24

 
DanSS24's Avatar
 
Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 808
Posts: 818
Very awesome and interesting information, Justice. I always learn new things from you when it comes to suspension. I'm a firm believer of matching whoa! with go.
__________________
I'd rather chase speeders and bad guys with a Z/28 than my R/T Charger
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #17
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace32x View Post
i plan to get an MT set up down the road after i do a few more engine mods, but my current tires will be out before then and will need replacing and the nitto nt05r seems to be a good option cost wise and size options
We have run so many different tires on our Camaros I would have to dig out my notes to remember them all. Combine that with client cars and we have sen 99% of them. This is what we have learned.

Given the weight of the Camaro the tire side wall has to be strong. We run Michelin Pilot Sport 2s on one Camaro. They are the Porsche Spec tire. They are fast and sticky. We like them. The Porsche they were designed for is a club racer. It is much lighter than the 5th Gen. We tear up the shoulders. Fast on track. They wear fast too.

The GYs that come with the 5th Gen are fast, but wear longer than the PS 2s

The Bridgestone RE-11 are the best, but at 180 tread wear we can't run them in the OUSCI and the only size that works with the 5th Gen is 305/30/19/XL.

There are a lot of Nitto users on the forum and they all seem to be happy with their tires. While this bit of advice is important to all tire buyers, it is especially true if the tires are from the more niche MFGs. Have your tires mounted by a shop that actually knows how to balance a wheel and tire with a road force machine. You'll notice many of the MFG owned tire stores do not have road force balance machines. There is a reason for that. The RF in the hands of a qualified tech can sort out the good and bad tires. That can get expensive if you are the tire MFG. You should leave with an almost perfectly balanced wheel and tire with an absolute minimal amount of weight.

The NT05R fits on your 11 wide ZL1 rear rim. If I read the specs right it is an XL side wall. The 00 tread wear should be sticky. If you are not complaining about understeer or pushing now, I think you'll be fine. Please let me know how it feels when you get a few miles on the setup.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #18
ace32x
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: puyallup
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
We have run so many different tires on our Camaros I would have to dig out my notes to remember them all. Combine that with client cars and we have sen 99% of them. This is what we have learned.

Given the weight of the Camaro the tire side wall has to be strong. We run Michelin Pilot Sport 2s on one Camaro. They are the Porsche Spec tire. They are fast and sticky. We like them. The Porsche they were designed for is a club racer. It is much lighter than the 5th Gen. We tear up the shoulders. Fast on track. They wear fast too.

The GYs that come with the 5th Gen are fast, but wear longer than the PS 2s

The Bridgestone RE-11 are the best, but at 180 tread wear we can't run them in the OUSCI and the only size that works with the 5th Gen is 305/30/19/XL.

There are a lot of Nitto users on the forum and they all seem to be happy with their tires. While this bit of advice is important to all tire buyers, it is especially true if the tires are from the more niche MFGs. Have your tires mounted by a shop that actually knows how to balance a wheel and tire with a road force machine. You'll notice many of the MFG owned tire stores do not have road force balance machines. There is a reason for that. The RF in the hands of a qualified tech can sort out the good and bad tires. That can get expensive if you are the tire MFG. You should leave with an almost perfectly balanced wheel and tire with an absolute minimal amount of weight.

The NT05R fits on your 11 wide ZL1 rear rim. If I read the specs right it is an XL side wall. The 00 tread wear should be sticky. If you are not complaining about understeer or pushing now, I think you'll be fine. Please let me know how it feels when you get a few miles on the setup.

its been cold up here and all the tracks have been shut down so i havent been able to get it on out a on track yet sadly :(. just alot of spirited driving and cruising around. i like the PS2's i ran them on my old 700 whp car and they were great. theyre just expensive in 20's is why i was looking at the nitto this time around
__________________
2013 victory red zl1, 2012 1500 silverado, 95 nissan 240sx 383 ls1 11:1 stroker dart 225 heads ms4 cam fast 102 manifold ;D
ace32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #19
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace32x View Post
its been cold up here and all the tracks have been shut down so i havent been able to get it on out a on track yet sadly :(. just alot of spirited driving and cruising around. i like the PS2's i ran them on my old 700 whp car and they were great. theyre just expensive in 20's is why i was looking at the nitto this time around
Tell me about it. Roasting a set of 305/30/19 PS 2s in one test day still make my wallet One stinking day :( Then again, in doing our OPTIMA Sonic we went through four sets of tires in 3,000 miles or testing and setup Making a Hooters disappear + replacing two brand new rear tires =
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #20
ace32x
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: puyallup
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Tell me about it. Roasting a set of 305/30/19 PS 2s in one test day still make my wallet One stinking day :( Then again, in doing our OPTIMA Sonic we went through four sets of tires in 3,000 miles or testing and setup Making a Hooters disappear + replacing two brand new rear tires =
damn thats alot of tire haha! least you can write them all off ;D
__________________
2013 victory red zl1, 2012 1500 silverado, 95 nissan 240sx 383 ls1 11:1 stroker dart 225 heads ms4 cam fast 102 manifold ;D
ace32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #21
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace32x View Post
damn thats alot of tire haha! least you can write them all off ;D
Bridgestone is very good to us

I have work to do with GY and Michelin. Maybe one of you guys would call and tell them who I am
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #22
BeardWS6
 
BeardWS6's Avatar
 
Drives: 01 WS6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 206
I`m wanting to run a wider tire on my stock ZL1 wheels 20x11 rear. Car is in the shop getting mods as we speak... What size could I go to and have no issues? Thanks!!Car should make 650-700rwhp when done..
__________________
2013 Red ZL1 Auto
705rwhp 694rwtrq-"1NASTYZ"
BeardWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #23
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardWS6 View Post
I`m wanting to run a wider tire on my stock ZL1 wheels 20x11 rear. Car is in the shop getting mods as we speak... What size could I go to and have no issues? Thanks!!Car should make 650-700rwhp when done..
Stay with the OE spec 305s. I know one of the test mules for the ZL1 had 315s in the rear. They sort of fit except when they didn't and rubbed. That is why you have 305s
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #24
tomster
Mid Ohio 1.42
 
tomster's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Medina, Ohio
Posts: 302
Im running P285/35R20 Potenza RE070R R2 (Run flat) All the way around On my track wheels. LOVE THEM! They Stick WAY Better in the corners than the goodyears. Much more predictable than the goodyears. They dont snap loose. And when your confiedent of your tire your lap times improve. When the good years on the stock wheels are worn out i think i will replace them with P305/30R20 Potenza RE070 (non runflat) all the way around.
tomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #25
tomster
Mid Ohio 1.42
 
tomster's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Medina, Ohio
Posts: 302
I Am also very partail to Bridgestone......
tomster is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.