Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #76
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
That could be the best article i have ever read here , You explained everything , except 1 , On a limited budget , Is it ok to buy a used CAI for about half the price of a new one? Or buy a new one from you? Thanks for all your informative posts , i been on this site for about a year now and really appericate your insight
Glad to hear that. What is right for you just depends on your situation. Shoot me a PM or give us a call and we can talk about it.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #77
motorhead2011
 
motorhead2011's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 IPC,2014 GT500
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: So.ILL.
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Glad to hear that. What is right for you just depends on your situation. Shoot me a PM or give us a call and we can talk about it.
Chase,Do you live on this forum or what.LOL you are always quick with advice.BTW looking foward to recieving my order from you and probley again next month.
motorhead2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #78
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead2011 View Post
Chase,Do you live on this forum or what.LOL you are always quick with advice.BTW looking foward to recieving my order from you and probley again next month.
Sometimes it feels like it. Thanks for your orders.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #79
Desert Stealth
 
Desert Stealth's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 CRT ZL1 Convertible Automatic
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 151
Installed a CAI system I purchased from APEX (CAI, Strong MAF sensor, APEX Air Scoop, and a washer bottle relocate kit). I drive a 2013 2SS Automatic. All I can say is WOW! I knew it would look great (and it does). What I did not expect were the subtle but very noticeable performance changes. The engine really "growls" when you get your foot in to the pedal. Not over the top. Just a very impressive sound from the engine. Acceleration seems more powerful, as if the engine can finally "breathe!" Shut down now include a "whosh" as air escapes the airbox.

I'm very happy with the mod.





Marcus
Desert Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #80
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Stealth View Post
Installed a CAI system I purchased from APEX (CAI, Strong MAF sensor, APEX Air Scoop, and a washer bottle relocate kit). I drive a 2013 2SS Automatic. All I can say is WOW! I knew it would look great (and it does). What I did not expect were the subtle but very noticeable performance changes. The engine really "growls" when you get your foot in to the pedal. Not over the top. Just a very impressive sound from the engine. Acceleration seems more powerful, as if the engine can finally "breathe!" Shut down now include a "whosh" as air escapes the airbox.

I'm very happy with the mod.





Marcus
Thank you for your order and the post! I love hearing from our customers after they install their new parts.

__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #81
Sales @ CAI Inc



 
Sales @ CAI Inc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS CAI Inc. CAI, Cam, Tune
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Stealth View Post
Installed a CAI system I purchased from APEX (CAI, Strong MAF sensor, APEX Air Scoop, and a washer bottle relocate kit). I drive a 2013 2SS Automatic. All I can say is WOW! I knew it would look great (and it does). What I did not expect were the subtle but very noticeable performance changes. The engine really "growls" when you get your foot in to the pedal. Not over the top. Just a very impressive sound from the engine. Acceleration seems more powerful, as if the engine can finally "breathe!" Shut down now include a "whosh" as air escapes the airbox.

I'm very happy with the mod.





Marcus
Thanks for choosing Cold Air Inductions Inc.! We really appreciate your business and support and are glad to hear how happy you are about the product!
__________________
Call Us: 810.392.9999 (Click Sig Pic for Website)
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #82
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,313
Here is another set of photos from my buddy Larry. He just installed a black CAI Inc intake, Apex scoop and washer tank relocation, and Victory Red VMAX ported throttle body.


__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #83
Sales @ CAI Inc



 
Sales @ CAI Inc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS CAI Inc. CAI, Cam, Tune
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Here is another set of photos from my buddy Larry. He just installed a black CAI Inc intake, Apex scoop and washer tank relocation, and Victory Red VMAX ported throttle body.


Awesome!! Tell Larry we thank him for choosing Cold Air Inductions Inc.!
__________________
Call Us: 810.392.9999 (Click Sig Pic for Website)
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #84
Tweiten
Tweety
 
Tweiten's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 243
I want the one that will increase 0-60 on a V6
__________________
Check out my build thread!

Tweiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:39 AM   #85
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweiten View Post
I want the one that will increase 0-60 on a V6
The CAI Inc intake with a scoop is probably the best option for you. After that, look into a VMAX ported throttle body and Black Ice-Olator.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #86
Sales @ CAI Inc



 
Sales @ CAI Inc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS CAI Inc. CAI, Cam, Tune
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweiten View Post
I want the one that will increase 0-60 on a V6
I sent you a PM with some of the design features of our CAI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
The CAI Inc intake with a scoop is probably the best option for you. After that, look into a VMAX ported throttle body and Black Ice-Olator.
Good advice here, you should listen to him
__________________
Call Us: 810.392.9999 (Click Sig Pic for Website)
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #87
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
Awesome!! Tell Larry we thank him for choosing Cold Air Inductions Inc.!
Will do. We are about to get one on Larry's dad's SS as well.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #88
D2enigma
 
D2enigma's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Irvine
Posts: 32
What is the benefit of the top lid that covers the casing? Is it just for the looks or does it actually have added functionality? I ask that because when you close the hood down, it is pretty much covered anyways, right?
D2enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #89
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2enigma View Post
What is the benefit of the top lid that covers the casing? Is it just for the looks or does it actually have added functionality? I ask that because when you close the hood down, it is pretty much covered anyways, right?
The lid on the CAI Inc systems seal off the air box from the engine bay and prevent hot air from being ingested. It eliminates any chance of a bad or incomplete seal and doesn't wear on your hood liner. The air box does not touch the bottom of the hood so if you left it off you would be sucking in hot air which is exactly what you do not want.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #90
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,313
Another great thread from a Camaro5 member that was suffering from the MAF sensor issue was posted.

Strong MAF sensor. Believe the hype
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #91
911medic

 
911medic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Near Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,517
I think you should include Jannetty's V6 CAI testing in your OP, too: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96774
__________________
All bleeding stops eventually -- 2012 2LT Auto w/sunroof -- My journal thread
Roto-Fab Intake & W/W Relocate Kit -- ADM Race Scoop -- Dynomax VT Axle-Back Exhaust -- Vitesse Throttle Controller
RX Catch Can -- Drake Bowtie Delete -- JacFab Radio Face Cover -- LED Fog Lights -- LED Dome/Trunk/Plate Lights
Wishlist: VMax Ported TB -- Dash ABL -- Footwell/Cupholder/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #92
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
I think you should include Jannetty's V6 CAI testing in your OP, too: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96774
Both of his V8 tests are included under "More relevant reading" in post #5.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #93
911medic

 
911medic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Near Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Both of his V8 tests are included under "More relevant reading" in post #5.
Yep, I saw that. I think the V6 test would be informative, too.
__________________
All bleeding stops eventually -- 2012 2LT Auto w/sunroof -- My journal thread
Roto-Fab Intake & W/W Relocate Kit -- ADM Race Scoop -- Dynomax VT Axle-Back Exhaust -- Vitesse Throttle Controller
RX Catch Can -- Drake Bowtie Delete -- JacFab Radio Face Cover -- LED Fog Lights -- LED Dome/Trunk/Plate Lights
Wishlist: VMax Ported TB -- Dash ABL -- Footwell/Cupholder/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #94
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
Yep, I saw that. I think the V6 test would be informative, too.
No reason not to. Added.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #95
wally mayfield
 
wally mayfield's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
Join Date: May 2013
Location: eastern high sierras
Posts: 556
"1) Draw in large amounts of cool dense air from outside the hot engine compartment. The more air your engine can suck in and push out the more power it will make."

i was wondering...intake valve opens piston goes down drawing in air.....will the air drawn in be any more with a stock filter over an other aftermarket "high-performance" filter?

seems to me if the cylinder wanted more air than the stock filter could deliver it would put a dent in the filter..

__________________
let's give nuke's a chance..
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #96
911medic

 
911medic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Near Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
No reason not to. Added.
Responsive, as always! Thanks!
__________________
All bleeding stops eventually -- 2012 2LT Auto w/sunroof -- My journal thread
Roto-Fab Intake & W/W Relocate Kit -- ADM Race Scoop -- Dynomax VT Axle-Back Exhaust -- Vitesse Throttle Controller
RX Catch Can -- Drake Bowtie Delete -- JacFab Radio Face Cover -- LED Fog Lights -- LED Dome/Trunk/Plate Lights
Wishlist: VMax Ported TB -- Dash ABL -- Footwell/Cupholder/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #97
911medic

 
911medic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Near Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post
"1) Draw in large amounts of cool dense air from outside the hot engine compartment. The more air your engine can suck in and push out the more power it will make."

i was wondering...intake valve opens piston goes down drawing in air.....will the air drawn in be any more with a stock filter over an other aftermarket "high-performance" filter?

seems to me if the cylinder wanted more air than the stock filter could deliver it would put a dent in the filter..

Most (if not all) filters have wire mesh supporting the filter media. I'm guessing that the suction is not enough to deform it.

I think the airbox itself (and air tube) is what is most restrictive in a stock setup. Drop-in OEM replacement filters (like K&N) by themselves don't show a lot of gains, as I understand it.
__________________
All bleeding stops eventually -- 2012 2LT Auto w/sunroof -- My journal thread
Roto-Fab Intake & W/W Relocate Kit -- ADM Race Scoop -- Dynomax VT Axle-Back Exhaust -- Vitesse Throttle Controller
RX Catch Can -- Drake Bowtie Delete -- JacFab Radio Face Cover -- LED Fog Lights -- LED Dome/Trunk/Plate Lights
Wishlist: VMax Ported TB -- Dash ABL -- Footwell/Cupholder/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #98
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post
"1) Draw in large amounts of cool dense air from outside the hot engine compartment. The more air your engine can suck in and push out the more power it will make."

i was wondering...intake valve opens piston goes down drawing in air.....will the air drawn in be any more with a stock filter over an other aftermarket "high-performance" filter?

seems to me if the cylinder wanted more air than the stock filter could deliver it would put a dent in the filter..

Your post is a severe oversimplification of the functions of several systems in the car and the science behind them and that is why your filter theory isn't correct. Put very simply, that is just not how your engine works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
Responsive, as always! Thanks!
That is what I am here for.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #99
wally mayfield
 
wally mayfield's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
Join Date: May 2013
Location: eastern high sierras
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Your post is a severe oversimplification of the functions of several systems in the car and the science behind them and that is why your filter theory isn't correct. Put very simply, that is just not how your engine works.
OMG i popped the hood of my car to see where GM was getting the wind that goes into the stock air box.. really GM??

thats what you came up with??? air off of the back of the orange light bulb??

ok thats just not right, and i hope the clown at GM that designed that system is no longer with them ( oh thats right he's a union guy, never mind).

not to mention the foam seal doesn't even seal against anything...

Ok I'm in, I'm not looking for any performance cause the car is awesome now, but i would like some cool fresh air going in to the throttle body.

whats with this scoop?? any pictures?
__________________
let's give nuke's a chance..

Last edited by wally mayfield; 07-10-2013 at 03:35 PM.
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #100
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post
OMG i popped the hood of my car to see where GM was getting the wind that goes into the stock air box.. really GM??

thats what you came up with??? air off of the back of the orange light bulb??

ok thats just not right, and i hope the clown at GM that designed that system is no longer with them ( oh thats right he's a union guy, never mind).

not to mention the foam seal doesn't even seal against anything...

Ok I'm in, I'm not looking for any performance cause the car is awesome now, but i would like some cool fresh air going in to the throttle body.

whats with this scoop?? any pictures?
Our scoop mounts behind your lower grill on the far left. This locates it directly below your air intake. If you have an aftermarket air intake with an open bottom (CAI Inc, Roto-Fab, K&N, etc) then it will feed a large volume of cool dense air directly into it. There is a ton of info in this thread.

Difference between scoop/washer bottle's?


Below is a photo of the scoop with our washer tank kit attached.




And this is a shot of it behind the grill after it is installed.

__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
air intake, apex motorsports, best air intake, cai

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.