Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Industries
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 07-25-2013, 05:30 AM   #126
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmbdad71 View Post
Is anyone using the Injen Long Tube intake like this one?

If so, what are your impressions/observations? I was using the v6 version of this on my LS, and it seemed to work really well.

Any info at all will be appreciated.
They are not the best but they are not the worst either. The filter placement with these kinds of intakes is great but the extra bends it takes to accomplish it can be counter productive. Particularly when you start getting into FI and higher power levels.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #127
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
Sales @ CAI Inc, the install instruction don't cover the 2013...is it different?
Old 08-09-2013, 05:18 AM   #128
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post
Sales @ CAI Inc, the install instruction don't cover the 2013...is it different?
No. It is the same.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #129
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Seriously though, why is this not a sticky yet?
Old 08-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #130
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
Seriously though, why is this not a sticky yet?
That is a question for the powers that be.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #131
Jason@JacFab
Mad Scientist

Drives: 2014 1LT Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Free entertaining bump!
Attached Images

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph SOLD!
2014 Camaro 1LT RRM; A6.JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket... More to come...
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #132
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
Free entertaining bump!
The rest of the car looks like it may be equally as interesting.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:29 AM   #133
Baltimorejohn1

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
Free entertaining bump!
ROFL
Baltimorejohn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #134
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Drives: 2013 Equinox CRT
New Cold Rush design?
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #135
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
so i guess the varara isn't going to make a intake for the 13's..
Old 09-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #136
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post
so i guess the varara isn't going to make a intake for the 13's..
It doesn't look like it.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:02 AM   #137
scoticus.rex
LTC, USA

Drives: Hobbes - 2013 Camaro 2SS RS M6
Chase, just curious, does a hood intake, like the ones on the MPT Force-Z hood add anything to the performance of the CAI intake. I just ask because I noticed they state that their hood is specifically designed to work with the CAI.

~Rex
scoticus.rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:56 AM   #138
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoticus.rex View Post
Chase, just curious, does a hood intake, like the ones on the MPT Force-Z hood add anything to the performance of the CAI intake. I just ask because I noticed they state that their hood is specifically designed to work with the CAI.

~Rex
Not familiar with that specific hood but if it diverts air to the OEM location, it will act like a "scoop" to any CAI in the OEM location that doesn't have a lid covering the top of the airbox. I believe both CAI and ADM make a replacement top to take advantage of hoods like these.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #139
scoticus.rex
LTC, USA

Sorry, I had the name slightly wrong, was pulling it from memory. It is actually MPD Z-Force Ram Air Hood. They say it is made to integrate with the CAI system and that there is actually a gasket you can get with it to seal the hood's air intake to the top of the CAI Inc. system. Here are a couple pictures from their site. You can see on the underside of the hood where it meets with the CAI Inc system. I was just curious how something like this would compare to a scoop in terms of performance.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #140
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS CAI Inc. CAI, Cam, Tune
Quote:
Sorry, I had the name slightly wrong, was pulling it from memory. It is actually MPD Z-Force Ram Air Hood. They say it is made to integrate with the CAI system and that there is actually a gasket you can get with it to seal the hood's air intake to the top of the CAI Inc. system. Here are a couple pictures from their site. You can see on the underside of the hood where it meets with the CAI Inc system. I was just curious how something like this would compare to a scoop in terms of performance.

I would contact MPD1, his name is Eric. They make the hood and they can help you better than anyone else. They remove the glass from our lid and apply a gasket like previously mentioned. For more detailed info I would contact the source directly. Many people run their hood with our CAI and are very happy.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:35 AM   #141
Apex Motorsports

Quote:

That is a very cool set up. The only "con" to going that route versus a scoop is that the hood is heated by the engine underneath and the sun above so the air is passing through a very hot environment. On the other hand, the scoop is outside the engine bay and not exposed to the sun so there is no risk of it heating the air it is supplying. Is it that big of a deal? Probably not. I have a functional hood scoop on my Camaro.

Here is another take on the same concept. The owner cut the hood himself so that the vent sat over the top of the CAI Inc intake. He did a great job. Looked like something you would buy.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #142
Apex Motorsports

A little ZL1 CAI Inc intake goodness from the shop yesterday afternoon.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #143
Eric-MPD1.com

Drives: Cool parts for cool cars
Quote:
That is a very cool set up. The only "con" to going that route versus a scoop is that the hood is heated by the engine underneath and the sun above so the air is passing through a very hot environment. On the other hand, the scoop is outside the engine bay and not exposed to the sun so there is no risk of it heating the air it is supplying. Is it that big of a deal? Probably not. I have a functional hood scoop on my Camaro.
CAI's website says 15 rwhp for the SS cai and 18.3 with a race scoop. I would think these figures would be fairly accurate for a scoop type application. If the car is setting there running no scoop will do any good. Once moving the airflow will rapidly cool the heat soak out of the passageways that lead to the intake whether its from the hot pavement or the hot hood.
www.mpd1.com
eric.mpd1@gmail.com
Eric-MPD1.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #144
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-MPD1.com View Post
CAI's website says 15 rwhp for the SS cai and 18.3 with a race scoop. I would think these figures would be fairly accurate for a scoop type application. If the car is setting there running no scoop will do any good. Once moving the airflow will rapidly cool the heat soak out of the passageways that lead to the intake whether its from the hot pavement or the hot hood.
That was not an attempt to talk anyone out of it. Like I mentioned I have a functional hood scoop on my car and I am not too worried about it.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #145
scoticus.rex
LTC, USA

Don't worry, I already have a deposit down on the hood although I decided on their Force 5 hood instead. Buying it at the end of the month. Mine will be the 8th one sold so that should be pretty unique. Just trying to find the best option for paint and fitment right now. Metallic paint complicates issues and inflates the price for paint unfortunately. I will post pictures towards the end of December when it is all done and installed.

Hobbes - 2013 Camaro 2SS RS M6
Old 11-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #146
Eric-MPD1.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
That was not an attempt to talk anyone out of it. Like I mentioned I have a functional hood scoop on my car and I am not too worried about it.
I was not thinking that at all. Just was on CAI's website and seen the info on hp figures with a race scoop. Actually surprised it was higher with the scoop.
www.mpd1.com
eric.mpd1@gmail.com
Old 11-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #147
scoticus.rex
LTC, USA

I am not surprised that is is higher with the scoop, just curious what other number represents. My guess would be without the scoop when means your air flow on the Camaro is somewhat restricted due to placement of the water bottle, front fascia, etc. The scoop funnels and therefore increases the flow of air specifically towards the CAI, so it is logical to think that is would result in some increase. The question would be did they also test it with a Hood style ram air intake like the Z-Force or Force 5 hoods mentioned above. I would be interested to seeing a comparison of the three of those (race scoop, hood scoop, no scoop) all side-by-side. Regardless of which option you choose, there is going to be an increase in performance.

For me, the hood is as much about looks as it is about function. I really like the MPD hood designs and a hood scoop to me is synonymous with the muscle cars that I grew up loving. So do I care that this is a functional hood scoop designed to work with the CAI, Inc intake I already have on the car, absolutely. Am I more excited about the fact that my hood is going to look badass... damn straight I am.

Eric, I will give you a call right around the first of December and complete the order. Really looking forward to getting this ordered, painted and installed.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-MPD1.com View Post
I was not thinking that at all. Just was on CAI's website and seen the info on hp figures with a race scoop. Actually surprised it was higher with the scoop.

Last edited by scoticus.rex; 11-22-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #148
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Don't worry, I already have a deposit down on the hood although I decided on their Force 5 hood instead. Buying it at the end of the month. Mine will be the 8th one sold so that should be pretty unique. Just trying to find the best option for paint and fitment right now. Metallic paint complicates issues and inflates the price for paint unfortunately. I will post pictures towards the end of December when it is all done and installed.
That is a cool hood. Modern paint is making it a whole lot more difficult. We have a friend with a 2014 GT500 going through problems right now matching an aftermarket hood to his paint.

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 11-22-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #149
scoticus.rex
LTC, USA

Yep, that is the main issue. Basically they are going to paint the hood and blend with the fenders and front fascia to make sure it all looks good. I ended up contacting a couple of local hotrod shops as most paint and body shops did not want to work with the after market part as they said they could not guarantee the paint match with the metallic paint.

Quote:
That is a cool hood. Modern paint is making it a whole lot more difficult. We have a friend with a 2014 GT500 going through problems right now matching an aftermarket hood to hit paint.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #150
Eric-MPD1.com

Quote:
That is a cool hood. Modern paint is making it a whole lot more difficult. We have a friend with a 2014 GT500 going through problems right now matching an aftermarket hood to hit paint.

what color?

Having painted for the 30 years I think its easier than ever to match paint. The key is having a blendable match. Anytime you attempt to panel paint you will not achieve perfection. You may bet close enough so most people cant tell. Granted some of the tri stages can be tricky. And I had a hell of a time with cyber gray. All the formulas matched the mirrors but not the body itself.
www.mpd1.com
eric.mpd1@gmail.com

Tags
air intake, apex motorsports, best air intake, cai