Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #99
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Your post is a severe oversimplification of the functions of several systems in the car and the science behind them and that is why your filter theory isn't correct. Put very simply, that is just not how your engine works.
OMG i popped the hood of my car to see where GM was getting the wind that goes into the stock air box.. really GM??

thats what you came up with??? air off of the back of the orange light bulb??

ok thats just not right, and i hope the clown at GM that designed that system is no longer with them ( oh thats right he's a union guy, never mind).

not to mention the foam seal doesn't even seal against anything...

Ok I'm in, I'm not looking for any performance cause the car is awesome now, but i would like some cool fresh air going in to the throttle body.

whats with this scoop?? any pictures?

Last edited by wally mayfield; 07-10-2013 at 03:35 PM.
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #100
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post
OMG i popped the hood of my car to see where GM was getting the wind that goes into the stock air box.. really GM??

thats what you came up with??? air off of the back of the orange light bulb??

ok thats just not right, and i hope the clown at GM that designed that system is no longer with them ( oh thats right he's a union guy, never mind).

not to mention the foam seal doesn't even seal against anything...

Ok I'm in, I'm not looking for any performance cause the car is awesome now, but i would like some cool fresh air going in to the throttle body.

whats with this scoop?? any pictures?
Our scoop mounts behind your lower grill on the far left. This locates it directly below your air intake. If you have an aftermarket air intake with an open bottom (CAI Inc, Roto-Fab, K&N, etc) then it will feed a large volume of cool dense air directly into it. There is a ton of info in this thread.

Difference between scoop/washer bottle's?

Below is a photo of the scoop with our washer tank kit attached.

And this is a shot of it behind the grill after it is installed.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #101
Glen e

Drives: Garnet 2LT RS, PCX 150
Got mine today UPS ,Chase....both bottle and scoop - well written instructions - looks like a snap for this weekend install...Did I read somewhere we should cut a bit more than the dimensions you describe in the instructions?
Glen e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #102
wally mayfield

post up the instructions..
Old 07-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #103
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Got mine today UPS ,Chase....both bottle and scoop - well written instructions - looks like a snap for this weekend install...Did I read somewhere we should cut a bit more than the dimensions you describe in the instructions?
Correct. If you have trouble getting the scoop in place you may need to remove slightly more plastic than the instructions say to.

Quote:
post up the instructions..
I don't think I have a copy on this computer but here are links to a couple good DIY threads.

DIY: CAI Intake, Scoop, & Washer Bottle w/ CUSTOM BRACKET & MRTv2's Install w/ VIDEO

Apex Motorsports Washer Tank Relocation Kit & Air Scoop
Old 07-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #104
Glen e

Chase you have a PM....I don't have to install the washer bottle right? if I don't the scoop works just as well, and the only downside is on the CAI, I have to remove the plex plate top to fill, correct?
Old 07-11-2013, 05:17 AM   #105
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Chase you have a PM....I don't have to install the washer bottle right? if I don't the scoop works just as well, and the only downside is on the CAI, I have to remove the plex plate top to fill, correct?
Your stock washer tank has to be removed to install the scoop. If you do not use the washer tank kit you will not have use of your windshield washers.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #106
Glen e

install scoop and washer yesterday - EZ - tip: cut more vertical as we have been saying here - about 5/8 inch more in my case...
Old 07-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #107
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
install scoop and washer yesterday - EZ - tip: cut more vertical as we have been saying here - about 5/8 inch more in my case...
Have you taken it for a spin yet?
Old 07-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #108
Glen e

yeah but I'm not one to do much analyzing of how much more it gets...it feels about the same to me - I did it because I like mods and I knew it was what the CAI needed as the stock washer bottle is blocking everything. Kit was easy and instructions good.

I just went thru two days of 2 inches of rain a day - I wonder if the scoop sends water up and soaks the filter? Does the filter catch he water if it does?
Old 07-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #109
wally mayfield

glen e are the holes in the back of the scoop to let water out?? my banks intake system on my duramax has them..
Old 07-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #110
Glen e

Quote:
glen e are the holes in the back of the scoop to let water out?? my banks intake system on my duramax has them..

dunno - don't see holes for drainage:
Old 07-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #111
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
yeah but I'm not one to do much analyzing of how much more it gets...it feels about the same to me - I did it because I like mods and I knew it was what the CAI needed as the stock washer bottle is blocking everything. Kit was easy and instructions good.

I just went thru two days of 2 inches of rain a day - I wonder if the scoop sends water up and soaks the filter? Does the filter catch he water if it does?
There is no additional risk of water ingestion with the scoop. In order for water to get to the air box it would have to enter the scoop, negotiate a 45 degree corner, make a 90 degree turn upward, and then climb about 12 inches vertically. While the scoop does direct additional cool dense air flow into the intake it does not create a vacuum capable of doing all that. Water vapor condenses against the back wall of the scoop and is drained through weep holes in the bottom rear corners. The only way I can see forcing enough water into the intake to hydro lock it would be for you to hit standing water at least as deep as the fog lights and with a bit of speed. And if you do that you are going to have plenty of other problems too.

Quote:
dunno - don't see holes for drainage:
You can see one of the weep holes in the bottom rear corner. There is another just across from it but it is concealed by the near side wall in that photo.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #112
wally mayfield

id like to see a picture of a assembled cia...out of the car.

Tags
air intake, apex motorsports, best air intake, cai