Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
SDTW Custom Wheels & Tires
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #547
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dedham
Posts: 5,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
I understand most of it fine. I lot of stuff I already knew but like you said, put together in a way that helps plus some new information. I easily get lost in the numbers stuff. That will be the hardest part for me. I simply have a mental block for anything related to numbers. I find myself just looking at the words and it just washes past me. It will take me a while to process all that stuff. I am going to try to download the app Becky has and maybe that will help some. What do you think I should shoot for as a starting point for calorie intake & such. I have never really tried to count calories, and other intake data. I hope I can make myself keep that up. It will be very hard for me. Mike has been trying to help with my gluten free food transition and healthy eating, but I will be on my own with this. No way is he going to do this. I will have to cook for myself and with my nearly hour long commute time gets pretty tight. I will just have to figure it out.
There is a lot to absorb and most of the numbers you don't have to be concerned with. What all the numbers show is that this is more science than guessing. If you've ever read the posts between Speedy, Kalimus, Bonnie,Bossbunny and myself you will notice that we all eat very similar with the exception of carb intake. Carbs are the macro that seems to have the most effect on different body types.

I was shopping earlier and as I made my selections I looked for gluten free options, just for personal knowledge, I did find choices fairly easily with the exception of pasta. I did find some made from corn flower and rice flower. I'll look into them as far as fat loss and did get some just to see if it's edible. lol. I will let you know later as I will be preparing my weekly meals later today.

"Fortunately, most of the foods that are tough to find gluten free are the ones you should be restricting somewhat, most whole foods are naturally gluten free and that is the direction your diet should be going."




Here is what I think would be a good starting point.

1600 cals daily

640 from carbs = 160g
640 from protein= 160g
320 from fat= 35g

Ideally you would eat 5 times daily so per meal

32g carbs
32g protein
7 g fat


You may notice that most woman that ask where I thing they should start is similar to above. This seems to work well for the average woman. I would say 1000 cals is rock bottom for a woman, 1300-1400 usually is good for fat loss but will most likely need 1-2 higher carb days weekly. 1700-1800 will work well for some expecially for those who never watch cals and then start to as this will most likely be a drastic reduction. 1500-1600 usually works well for most that exercise as well. and after a few weeks can be adjusted depending on a couple of factors, one is results, scale/fat measurements energy levels etc. secondly is sustainability. Do you feel like you are forcing yourself to eat this much or do youu feel like you're always hungry. If the results are good but not the sustainability you wouldn't change calories but change where they come from(food choices) You have to keep accurate logs of EVERYTHING YOU EAT AND DRINK or you're just guessing, remember the numbers, it's science not guessing.

Look at it like a car, if everyone uses the same cam, headers and intake they will most likely have very similar results. The biggest difference being the tunning and fuel quality ie carb, protein, fat ratios and food quality.
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #548
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dedham
Posts: 5,802
Well everyone, I made it. LOL Today I am officially 58 and as promised here is a photo as of today. I'm still a work in progress and as usual all I can say is " wait 'till you see me next year".

Everytime someone says I'm over the hill I tell them that every year I am getting stronger, bigger and more fit which means I'm still climbing the hill and haven't gone over yet. lol.
Attached Images
  
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #549
RubyCamaro
Jan
 
RubyCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Springfield, TN
Posts: 15,366
Lookin' good!

Yeah, pasta is a problem. But actually the best brand is carried at WalMart. You have to be careful cooking it & leave it a bit al dente, then serve immediately. It does not do well if you try to keep it warm a while, over cook it or try to use leftovers. I still am not crazy about the taste. There are gluten free breads, hamburger & hotdog buns, cookies, pizza crust, lots of things and more are coming out all the time. That is one thing we can thank the gluten free fad dieters for. Okay, I'll save the above & tomorrow is my grocery shopping expedition. I know I won't get it perfectly at first, there will be a learning curve to this, but I will get there. Thanks.
__________________
RubyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #550
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dedham
Posts: 5,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Lookin' good!

Yeah, pasta is a problem. But actually the best brand is carried at WalMart. You have to be careful cooking it & leave it a bit al dente, then serve immediately. It does not do well if you try to keep it warm a while, over cook it or try to use leftovers. I still am not crazy about the taste. There are gluten free breads, hamburger & hotdog buns, cookies, pizza crust, lots of things and more are coming out all the time. That is one thing we can thank the gluten free fad dieters for. Okay, I'll save the above & tomorrow is my grocery shopping expedition. I know I won't get it perfectly at first, there will be a learning curve to this, but I will get there. Thanks











.
There are gluten free breads, hamburger & hotdog buns, cookies, pizza crust.

I'll save you some time and money, cross them off of your shoping list. LOL


[QUOTE=RubyCamaro;6087279]Lookin' good!

Thanks, I do work at it.
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #551
RubyCamaro
Jan
 
RubyCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Springfield, TN
Posts: 15,366
Actually one version of the hotdog buns are the best tasting bread option I have found. I know I need to swear off processed meats. I pretty much have avoided them anyway because of the nitrites. It is time for final planing of my meals & grocery shopping. I also have to figure out the stats of my shake & see if I can still include it, need to alter it or replace it with something else.
__________________
RubyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #552
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dedham
Posts: 5,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Actually one version of the hotdog buns are the best tasting bread option I have found. I know I need to swear off processed meats. I pretty much have avoided them anyway because of the nitrites. It is time for final planing of my meals & grocery shopping. I also have to figure out the stats of my shake & see if I can still include it, need to alter it or replace it with something else.

It's the breads, they are a starchy carb and should be limited. You can keep the shake, it is counted as a meal. You may want to adjust the ingredients or portion size if they're out of wack or make up for it in other meals.
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #553
RubyCamaro
Jan
 
RubyCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Springfield, TN
Posts: 15,366
Okay, had to find someplace to look up food nutrient values. I do want to do this but I can tell you, this is way more trouble than I will keep up with for very long. I just know myself that well. But so far today as best I can figure it my totals are:

946.8 calories
28.36 g fat
81.9 g carbs
76.3 g protien

Clearly I need to eat something else, not sure what that will be yet. I did my shopping expedition. I found everything, did not buy the peanut butter. Looked at them all, I could not figure what made one better than another and decided I did not see myself eating it anyway. One recipe I was planning to use does call for it but I have only ever bought regular Skippy peanut butter. The ingredients of all the "natural" ones still said oil, sugar & salt added so I did not see the difference. So I just skipped it. Our little health food store is ot open on Sundays & is usually closed by the time I get home from work so I could not buy the gluten free Ezekiel bread (assuming they have the gluten free one). I might be able to get it on Friday. I cooked my baked chicken with peppers & onions & figured out the nutritional valuse for it per serving the best I could. I have sort of a plan for the week but still feel like I am winging it.
__________________
RubyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #554
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dedham
Posts: 5,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Okay, had to find someplace to look up food nutrient values. I do want to do this but I can tell you, this is way more trouble than I will keep up with for very long. I just know myself that well. But so far today as best I can figure it my totals are:

946.8 calories
28.36 g fat
81.9 g carbs
76.3 g protien

Clearly I need to eat something else, not sure what that will be yet. I did my shopping expedition. I found everything, did not buy the peanut butter. Looked at them all, I could not figure what made one better than another and decided I did not see myself eating it anyway. One recipe I was planning to use does call for it but I have only ever bought regular Skippy peanut butter. The ingredients of all the "natural" ones still said oil, sugar & salt added so I did not see the difference. So I just skipped it. Our little health food store is ot open on Sundays & is usually closed by the time I get home from work so I could not buy the gluten free Ezekiel bread (assuming they have the gluten free one). I might be able to get it on Friday. I cooked my baked chicken with peppers & onions & figured out the nutritional valuse for it per serving the best I could. I have sort of a plan for the week but still feel like I am winging it.

You seem to be doing ok. The numbers you posted are low in cals but the proportions look pretty good so if you add another meal depending on how many you have had or increase the portion sizes you would be ok.

I think you will find that most protein portions will be 4-6 oz, starchy carbs from 1/2-1 cup and veggies 1-2 cups. So even if you don't count if your portions are close to this you will be ok, it's the things you add that causes problems, sauces, gravy, dressings things like that.

When I get peanut butter ther is only one ingredient, Peanuts. I use Teddies's all natural unsalted. It will be seperated when you by it as with most natural butters but mix them up once and keep it in the fridge so it stays mixed and firm. The thing that makes peanut butters like Skippy not seperate and stay creamy are hydrogenated oils. AVOID THEM COMPLETELY.

As the week goes buy post your meals, we can make suggestions to get them right then you don't have to measure them again, you will know what they are and just duplicate them when you make them, the values don't change.
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #555
RubyCamaro
Jan
 
RubyCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Springfield, TN
Posts: 15,366
This morning I had my shake (soy protien powder, powdered milk, flax meal, oatmeal, 1/2 bananna, 1/2 c mixed fruit & water) - I figured it to be 372.5 cal; 4.5 g fat, 37.5 g protein; 46.3 carbs.

For lunch I cooked some zuccini in a bit of olive oil, sea salt, pepper & had half of it for lunch & half for supper I figured it to be (each serving) 79 cal; 14 g fat, .6 g protein; 3.5 g carbs. And I had 2 eggs "fried" more like sauteed in a bit of olive oil with a bit of sea salt & pepper. Here the 2 sites differed in calories I'll use the highest here (I think I used the lower one earlier) 184 calories, 5.0 g fat, 12.6 protein; 1.2 g carb. (as I do this, I an sure my earlier Math was bad, See I told you I hate Math!)

For Supper I had 1 cup of fat free cottage chese & 7 slices of peach (frozen, unsweetened, thawed) Probably not quite a cup but close enough that I went with it. 73 cal; 0.2 fat; 1.2 protein; 18.9 carb, and the other portion of zuccini.

Just now I had 3/4 c of the gluten free nutty granola I found 260 cal; 13 g fat; 4 g protein; 34g carb. with 1/2 c 1% sweet acidopholis millk 55 cal; 1.25 g fat; 4.0 g protien; 13 g carb.

I have only had water to drink. There you have it.

New Math??????????? I think: 1264.5 calories, 66.95 g fat, 128.9 g carbs 84.5 g protein??????????????
__________________

Last edited by RubyCamaro; 01-27-2013 at 10:44 PM.
RubyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:44 PM   #556
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dedham
Posts: 5,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
This morning I had my shake (soy protien powder, powdered milk, flax meal, oatmeal, 1/2 bananna, 1/2 c mixed fruit & water) - I figured it to be 372.5 cal; 4.5 g fat, 37.5 g protein; 46.3 carbs.

For lunch I cooked some zuccini in a bit of olive oil, sea salt, pepper & had half of it for lunch & half for supper I figured it to be (each serving) 79 cal; 14 g fat, .6 g protein; 3.5 g carbs. And I had 2 eggs "fried" more like sauteed in a bit of olive oil with a bit of sea salt & pepper. Here the 2 sites differed in calories I'll use the highest here (I think I used the lower one earlier) 184 calories, 5.0 g fat, 12.6 protein; 1.2 g carb. (as I do this, I an sure my earlier Math was bad, See I told you I hate Math!)

For Supper I had 1 cup of fat free cottage chese & 7 slices of peach (frozen, unsweetened, thawed) Probably not quite a cup but close enough that I went with it. 73 cal; 0.2 fat; 1.2 protein; 18.9 carb, and the other portion of zuccini.

Just now I had 3/4 c of the gluten free nutty granola I found 260 cal; 13 g fat; 4 g protein; 34g carb. with 1/2 c 1% sweet acidopholis millk 55 cal; 1.25 g fat; 4.0 g protien; 13 g carb.

I have only had water to drink. There you have it.

All of this looks pretty good except two things jump right out at me. First, why are you using soy protein? Soy products are not good for fat loss and whey protein is a better protein source.

The meal you just had is a bad choice not so much for the food choices as much as the timing. That is almost 50g carbs which is high for any one meal EXSPECIALLY BEFORE BEDTIME. You should avoid high carbs and especially complex starchy carbs at night. You will not be doing anything now to burn them and they will be stored as fat .
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:20 PM   #557
RubyCamaro
Jan
 
RubyCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Springfield, TN
Posts: 15,366
Yeah, I knew that, Just did not think of another good option & I was tired & hungry. BTW the granola is not very good so I doubt it will be much of a problem. I also boiled some eggs today. I will take one serving of my chicken dish, a couple of boiled eggs, a small cottage cheese & small peaches in juice, & one of my nut trail mix packets (I still have a bunch of them to eat up) to work tomorrow. I will start the day with my shake as usual. I like my soy. I know others disagree but It has been very good for me. My doctor has loved my numbers (blood work) since I started using it & I still believe it is good for you. I looked for a vanilla whey protien today to alternate with it, & to use in some recipes but they were all in massively huge containers and I did not want something that big. Especially when I don't even know if I will like it or not. I have a chocolate protein powder that is half whey & half soy that I plan to use in some recipes. I will find a vanilla one at some point. BTW my soy is just pure soy powder, no sweeteners & no flavor. You know I hate artificial sweeteners.
__________________
RubyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #558
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet




 
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet's Avatar
 
Drives: SS/RS6sp,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7/Z51,Z06
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Woodhaven, Mich
Posts: 50,135
Hi Ruby -welcome back

I'm learning the value of routine

It's so much easier to do this during the
work week when my time is regimented.
3 hours after I first eat, it's time for the
2nd feeding and 3 hrs after that - time
for more....and so on.

Weekends just don't have a rythm to them.
I'm not off the wagon on weekends, just can't
seem to get into the same rythm as the week
days.

another lesson learned

BTW -made a Turkey meatloaf - not too
bad, needs a couple of taste tweeks, like
some more vegetables or something. It's
listed high in carbs I would think because
of the oatmeal. I'm having it for lunch
instead of dinner - better to have carbs
earlier than later -right?
__________________
Don't forget, I honor ALL DISCOUNTS THAT APPLY!
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Woodhaven, Mi ..only 20 min from Detroit Metro Airport!
734-479-7117 ...Direct Line

Available Camaro & Corvette Inventory
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #559
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dedham
Posts: 5,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet View Post
Hi Ruby -welcome back

I'm learning the value of routine

It's so much easier to do this during the
work week when my time is regimented.
3 hours after I first eat, it's time for the
2nd feeding and 3 hrs after that - time
for more....and so on.

Weekends just don't have a rythm to them.
I'm not off the wagon on weekends, just can't
seem to get into the same rythm as the week
days.

another lesson learned

BTW -made a Turkey meatloaf - not too
bad, needs a couple of taste tweeks, like
some more vegetables or something. It's
listed high in carbs I would think because
of the oatmeal. I'm having it for lunch
instead of dinner - better to have carbs
earlier than later -right?
That's right, it's better to have them earlier. Something to keep in mind about oatmeal. It is a starchy carb but has a low glycemic index and should be a staple in a fat loss diet. They have many health benefits and because of this are often included in recipies, you can be more flexible with when you eat them.

I think a page or two back I posted a recipie for turkey meatballs. Give them a shot, they are good and very convinient when putting together meals. If you follow the recipie it will make about 20 2-3 oz meatballs. You can freeze them for easy use.
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #560
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet




 
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet's Avatar
 
Drives: SS/RS6sp,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7/Z51,Z06
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Woodhaven, Mich
Posts: 50,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
That's right, it's better to have them earlier. Something to keep in mind about oatmeal. It is a starchy carb but has a low glycemic index and should be a staple in a fat loss diet. They have many health benefits and because of this are often included in recipies, you can be more flexible with when you eat them.

I think a page or two back I posted a recipie for turkey meatballs. Give them a shot, they are good and very convinient when putting together meals. If you follow the recipie it will make about 20 2-3 oz meatballs. You can freeze them for easy use.

I kept a couple of pieces of the meatloaf and froze
the other pieces. That along with some chicken now
give me a couple of options for meals

I'm getting there.......................
__________________
Don't forget, I honor ALL DISCOUNTS THAT APPLY!
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Woodhaven, Mi ..only 20 min from Detroit Metro Airport!
734-479-7117 ...Direct Line

Available Camaro & Corvette Inventory
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.