Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #126
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11BEE View Post
Happy New Year Everyone!
So far, lol . Happy New year to all as well.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #127
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Happy new year all. Day one is here. Time to go workout and start the healthy eats. This year I only went up 13 lbs over the holidays. I will drop that in a breeze.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #128
Mouse6.2

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 NPP
Happy New Year everyone! Well I wanted to start the year off right. Since my left knee surgery last spring I have not ran at all. It just seemed to take this long to get it back to shape. So I went out for my first run this morning on the treadmill and my Nike+ and just logged an easy 1.6 miles at at 12'10"/mi pace and total time of 20:02 min. I'm trying to make sure the Nike+ is calibrated as close as I can. The treadmill was showing the same times and distance. I will have to do more once I get on the road and run with Susan and her Garmin. I'm 6' and 213lbs as of today. Hopefully by summer I can be down to 198lbs.

It felt good. Like the poster in the gym I go to states "I always regret it when I don't workout, but never do regret it when I do."

Keep up the great work everyone.

Last edited by Mouse6.2; 01-01-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Mouse6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #129
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Well I am setting a count down for myself, March 30th is a half marathon in Lexington ky that I will be running. I hope to be down to 220 at that time. so a total of 25 pounds in the next 4 months. I will also be running the flying pig full marathon in May. and hope to be around 200 at that point.
driyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #130
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Drives: The Sassiest V6 in the South!
Well the 6lbs I lost when I started CF, I have gained back... On a whim I weighed myself today. Not worried about it because I am thinner, I've lost inches off my arms, thighs, and waist. Just goes to show the scale can lie.
bossbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #131
11BEE
11 BEE

Drives: 2011 LS2 RS & 2012 2SS RS 45th Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbunny View Post
Well the 6lbs I lost when I started CF, I have gained back... On a whim I weighed myself today. Not worried about it because I am thinner, I've lost inches off my arms, thighs, and waist. Just goes to show the scale can lie.
Remember muscle is more compact than fat. As you replace fat with muscle, you will loose inches.

11Bee and I♥My45th
11BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #132
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Quote:
Remember muscle is more compact than fat. As you replace fat with muscle, you will loose inches.
Yup yup! Thats why I tell people to not look at the scale too often, especially if they are adding weights to their routine. It can be discouraging to see the number on the scale go up, when really you are in better shape.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #133
CFD

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbunny View Post
Yup yup! Thats why I tell people to not look at the scale too often, especially if they are adding weights to their routine. It can be discouraging to see the number on the scale go up, when really you are in better shape.
These statements are true but you must remember a few things. When building muscle you will gain inches especially if you are a man and train hard with heavy weights, the inches will be in muscle though not fat. This is why we are not concerned with weight loss but are concerned with fat loss. Muscle also requires more calories to sustain so in turn you burn more calories doing nothing when muscular. Although the scale is an important tool, readings can vary quite a bit from day to day or even hour to hour but scale readings, over a period of time should show a donward trend. On the other hand, measuring body fat is more important as it does not fluctuate drastically and is our primary goal. The other thing is muscle does indeed weigh more than fat but if you are training and see in a period of several months your weight going up substantialy, beware, as gaining muscle, for example 10lbs of it, does not come that fast or easy. Gaining 10lbs of muscle is much more difficult than loosing ten pounds of fat. There are exceptions, when someone first starts training, if training hard and with proper nutrition you MAY see rapid muscle gain but it is usually short lived as the body becomes used to your training.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #134
RubyCamaro
SSlayer

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Okay, I'm glad the holidays are behind me. I have resisted the urge to get on the scales but can see that a little bit of fat is back in the usual places. Time to get the diet back on track & find that exercize class.

Last edited by RubyCamaro; 01-02-2013 at 08:32 PM.
RubyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #135
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: 2009 Dodge Challenger
I was waiting for this thread to start

I'm down for more this year. However, I figure we may wanna change the title to be New Year's Resolution Fitness Thread 2013 instead of weight loss.

My goal is to remain under 9-10% body fat and put on as much muscle as possible. Some of you may remember I got down to 7.2% body fat last summer and weighed 152lbs. I'm at 167lbs now and 8.7% body fat if you believe the little biometric reader.

Bunny - glad to see you got in your Crossfit class. I liked it a lot but it is very hard on the body, mainly joints so keep an eye on those. I hurt my achilles tendon in my left heel back in July at Crossfit and it still hasn't healed.

On a positive note I hit a new personal best on flat bench over the weekend. I was able to rep 255 and decided I'd better stop there. I might could've gotten 275 but was afraid I'd hurt something. That's about 30lbs over my previous max so I was thrilled.

Good luck everyone in meeting your own personal goals this year. Let's see some starter pics.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #136
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
I've seen a couple of statements here and elsewhere and I thought I would just axe some bad information.

1) Muscle doesn't turn to fat. Ever. At all. Doesn't happen. Period. This is a myth because people who have lots of muscle who stop exercising, don't back down their eating habits. The unused muscle shrinks, but it doesn't go away (unless you're of the age that the body can't keep it all). But it NEVER turns into fat.

2) Fat doesn't turn into muscle. Same reasoning. I say this because you don't really "replace fat with muscle". I mean over time you do, but for 99% of people, you can either burn fat, or gain muscle. Not both. This myth is created because people who don't exercise have the same shrunken muscles like the previous statement. They are small because they have been unused and are not retaining water. When you first start exercising, especially weight training, those muscles will gain water weight quickly. This is why most people actually GAIN weight in the first couple of weeks after starting a new diet and exercise. The body needs excess calories to build new muscles. Already stored fat does not qualify, because the body will only process that if you have a calorie deficit. If you're eating excess, it has no need to use fat stores.

3) Women will not "look like a guy" if they lift weights. Women. Lift. You're not going to get big bulky arms, or whatever it is you're worried about. You don't have the amount of testosterone in your body to respond to weights like guys. However, you will tone up, which is sexy ;-)

4) Muscle does not weigh more than fat. Haha sorry I can't help it. A pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh... a pound. It is more dense than fat. It also contains less calories per pound. A pound of fat has 3500 calories. And why is that important? 500 calories a day less will lose a pound of fat per week. 500x7. I use a calculator for those big numbers

5) "Point fat burning" works. No. Yes. No. I say this because it's true and false. If you have fat around your waist, situps alone will not get rid of it. It's about calories in to calories out. HOWEVER, when you work out an area of your body, it will get hotter than the parts you are not working out. Fat "burns" better when it's heated up. That's actually why man-made trans fat is so bad. It needs to be heated to a temperature that your body just can't produce, which is why it's said that trans fat will basically stay in your body forever. This is also why stimulants sell so well for fat loss. "Thermogenics" (fat burners) don't work because they are "thermogenic". They work because they are stimulants, which especially when combined with exercise, cause your body to heat up more. This helps fat loss, and burns extra calories because your body has to expend even more to regulate body temp. And of course it does this by sweating, which is why thermogenics/stimulants are popular for competition too. It gets rid of extra water weight and makes you look more "cut".

There are lots of other things, but this turned into a longer post, and my fingers need a break
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #137
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: 2009 Dodge Challenger
Good post Kalimus. A lot of people interchange "muscle weighs more" because it's the size that's different. It takes a lot more fat to weigh a pound than it does muscle.

My girlfriend is a workout junkie like I am and her body is rocking. I love an athletic build on a woman and just roll my eyes when I hear some girl say she doesn't lift because she's afraid of being bulky.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #138
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
I was waiting for this thread to start

I'm down for more this year. However, I figure we may wanna change the title to be New Year's Resolution Fitness Thread 2013 instead of weight loss.

I agree.

My goal is to remain under 9-10% body fat and put on as much muscle as possible. Some of you may remember I got down to 7.2% body fat last summer and weighed 152lbs. I'm at 167lbs now and 8.7% body fat if you believe the little biometric reader.

Bunny - glad to see you got in your Crossfit class. I liked it a lot but it is very hard on the body, mainly joints so keep an eye on those. I hurt my achilles tendon in my left heel back in July at Crossfit and it still hasn't healed.

On a positive note I hit a new personal best on flat bench over the weekend. I was able to rep 255 and decided I'd better stop there. I might could've gotten 275 but was afraid I'd hurt something. That's about 30lbs over my previous max so I was thrilled.

Good luck everyone in meeting your own personal goals this year. Let's see some starter pics.
Glad you showed up!

I am loving crossfit! Been at it 6 weeks now. I have noticed some soreness in my knees (it only bothers me when I sit down or get up), which I'm 100% sure is from squatting. I have been focusing on slowing down my squats and making sure I don't compromise form. Other than that no pain (other than normal muscle soreness)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
I've seen a couple of statements here and elsewhere and I thought I would just axe some bad information.
3) Women will not "look like a guy" if they lift weights. Women. Lift. You're not going to get big bulky arms, or whatever it is you're worried about. You don't have the amount of testosterone in your body to respond to weights like guys. However, you will tone up, which is sexy ;-)

4) Muscle does not weigh more than fat. Haha sorry I can't help it. A pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh... a pound. It is more dense than fat. It also contains less calories per pound. A pound of fat has 3500 calories. And why is that important? 500 calories a day less will lose a pound of fat per week. 500x7. I use a calculator for those big numbers
When girls tell me that, I dont want to lift weights cause I'll get bulky... It takes ALL of my willpower not to facepalm.

Last edited by bossbunny; 01-02-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #139
RubyCamaro
SSlayer

Okay, So on point #5. My main problem is all around my middle, both tummy and back. It is the first place I gain & last place I lose. Soooooooooooo, How do I turn this info into finally making the fatty deposits around my middle GO AWAY! I know all the basics about calories in & out, eating clean, toning muscles, etc. But by the time I start to lose in that area, other parts of me start to look too skinny and I just get discoruaged.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #140
kalimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Okay, So on point #5. My main problem is all around my middle, both tummy and back. It is the first place I gain & last place I lose. Soooooooooooo, How do I turn this info into finally making the fatty deposits around my middle GO AWAY! I know all the basics about calories in & out, eating clean, toning muscles, etc. But by the time I start to lose in that area, other parts of me start to look too skinny and I just get discoruaged.
Unfortunately for everyone, that's just about genetics. For a man, the first place he gains fat is around the midsection. It's also the last place he will lose it from.

For a woman, it's generally hips and butt. Gains there first, last to go away.

Everyone is genetically a little different, but there isn't anything you can do about it. If you genetically store in your midsection first, it will come off.. but the majority of it won't until your other fat stores have been depleted. For example arms, legs, etc.

For me, I store primarily around my belly button and "love handles". I store almost nothing on my arms and legs. After that it's my lower back, chest, and face. My belly is ALWAYS the last to slim down. The only thing you can do to help that is by helping that area warm up. For example, on the days you do cardio... do some situps first to warm that area up.

But try not to be discouraged. It WILL come. You just have to be patient and work hard at it. Short of surgery, there just isn't anything you can do about it.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #141
CFD

Unfortunately you cannot spot pick where you loose fat as Kalimus said. When it comes down to the last few punds of fat your body will do everything it can to retain it, this is where advanced strategies come in. weight training to retain as much muscle as possible is suggested but nutrition is very impostant at this time as well as cardio. The most effective way to loose the last few pounds of fat is with a combination of weights and cardio along with carb cycling and or carb tappering.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #142
CFD

Man. I hate TV and it's mis information. There was just a segment on the news that says a new study shows that being slightly overweight will lead to a longer life span. I'm quite sure if you look at the study it would be seriously flawed. They also claim that you should not rely on the scales but to go by BMI also proven quite useless. Then they showed a shot of some moron in the gym using some of the worst form imaginable.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #143
RubyCamaro
SSlayer

Yeah, I saw that too. I just wish they would not allow media to report on any research because they don't even try to differentiate between good & horrible research.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #144
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Yeah, I saw that too. I just wish they would not allow media to report on any research because they don't even try to differentiate between good & horrible research.

I would think that some of my sources on these types of studies will analyze what was researched and spill the beans, I'd like to know where they came up with this. Now some overweight people will have their excuse to abort their fitness goals but they're the ones who wouldn't succeed anyhow lol
Old 01-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #145
kalimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
Man. I hate TV and it's mis information. There was just a segment on the news that says a new study shows that being slightly overweight will lead to a longer life span. I'm quite sure if you look at the study it would be seriously flawed. They also claim that you should not rely on the scales but to go by BMI also proven quite useless. Then they showed a shot of some moron in the gym using some of the worst form imaginable.
I'd be curious to know if by "slightly overweight" they mean healthy fat
Old 01-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #146
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
I'd be curious to know if by "slightly overweight" they mean healthy fat
I caught it in the backround but thought I heard something like 20-30 lbs, that's a bit more than slightly overweight. I am sure the details will be out soon.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #147
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
I heard that on the news on XM today. I understand that you shouldn't be super thin and that you need rest days and cheat meals, and sometimes you have to let go and enjoy your life, but that 20-30 extra lbs is good for you is ridiculous.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #148
stlrammer

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS SGM
Happy New Years! As Weightwatchers says they consider "human nature" in their diet plans. I've had too much human nature the first two days of 2013.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #149
Lgndryhr
Camaro for Life

Drives: Nothing.... :-(
I am making a return to the gym tomorrow. I've been away for 2 years due to schedule. Now that I am done with college and no longer working 2 jobs I have the time to workout. I look forward to being 175 lbs again. I currently weigh about 250lbs at 6'1" or 6'2". This time though I have even more motivation. My new girlfriend.
Best run: not until after break-in

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
Lgndryhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:54 PM   #150
rhunley14

Drives: Camaro SS
Start my diet on Monday. 90 of insanity/p90x/hybrid. I'm 215 5 ft 10 22% bmi. Time to get the show on the road. Gonna try to do two protein shakes a day, 90oz of water, close to 100g of protein. Staying away from food after 730. Has anyone here used endurance vitapak from gnc?
rhunley14 is offline   Reply With Quote