Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-19-2015, 02:06 PM   #1
Mr Jos

Drives: '13 2LT RS
Vacuum leak - Reduced engine power

Hi,

I have a vacuum leak somewhere in the PCV area. When the hose is pulled off and closed no leaks anywhere, only when it's connected. All tested but there seems to be a leak somewhere in the engine itselve (not intake side,but crank side).

Any possibilities where it could be so I don't have to tear the engine apart to find the leak.

It goes in reduced engine power and idles very bad cold, long starting time etc. Also throwing code for low fuel pressure in rail 1 (No idea if related with vacuum leak).

Greetings,

Last edited by Mr Jos; 07-24-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Mr Jos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:30 PM   #2
Mr Jos

-
Old 07-24-2015, 02:29 PM   #3
Pathogen

Drives: 2014 1LS Camaro
I have a vacuum leak tester. If you want to pay shipping, you can have it. PM me.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #4
AITI

Drives: 2015 LFX Auto
You have the V6 LFX engine I assume? If so, the PCV foul side line is simple. It goes from the center top of the intake manifold to the barb on the rear of the passenger side valve cover. Check the valve cover side of it. If you have the LS3 it connects to the valley cover vent under the front of the intake manifold accessible from the passenger side front of the engine. If the L99, it connects to the rear of the drivers side valve cover. Did you add a breather to the valve cover by chance? That will act as a vacuum leak as your bypassing the MAF so the air entering is un-metered. Give us more info and we can try to help.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:50 AM   #5
Mr Jos

Hi,

I have the LFX yes.
I know where the PCV line is, and checked it for leaks and there are none in the line. The leak (it is audible) is somewhere in the engine block itselve, somewhere on the side or rear, but I can't find it. The sound is gone when the PCV line is pulled of and closed with a finger. I just don't know what parts are after the click-one connector, is it just a hole in the aluminium block itselve, or some replaceable part?
Old 07-25-2015, 08:23 AM   #6
lawdog

Drives: 2010 SSII w RS & Sunroof Yellow
I presume you don't have any Chevy dealers thee in Belgium ? I would be taking it in to a dealer for this problem. They can do a fog test which may find the leak in 5 minutes. Or find a mechanic around your place that has a fog tester.
lawdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:03 AM   #7
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2011 SS
You could also get a mechanics stethescope (looks like a doctor's, except it has a rod at the end) pull the hose off the rod and listen around the area. If there is a leak, you'll definitely hear exactly where it's coming from.
MrChrisLS3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:02 AM   #8
Mr Jos

I'll have to look monday. This year they stopped selling Chevy (and never sold V6 Camaro's in Europe) but I'll go for a fog test. Only problem is that all shops are on 3weeks holiday with reduced work being done.
Old Today, 02:17 PM   #9
Mr Jos

Problem is solved.

Low fuel pressure codes (on startup) are gone, no more bad idle/die at cold start.
Good old accelerating.

If someone gets the same, as hissing noice at passenger side around pcv, and goes into limp mode, this solved it for me:

Blowing air in the crankcase where normally the hose is attached. I don't know if the metal tube has a valve in it, but something happened and now no more vacuum leak.

I still have to put back the VTC (removed it few days ago) and the catchcan, I don't know if I'll put that one back, removed it out of the line 1week ago after I forgot to empty it (full can cause of everything perhaps?).
Old Today, 04:02 PM   #10
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2011 SS
Maybe caused a blockage in the PCV system and you blew it out with the air?
MrChrisLS3 is online now   Reply With Quote