Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-23-2015, 12:03 PM   #1
speedygonzales

Drives: 99 z71, 2012 2SS
Owners, please know and understand your powertrain warranty!!! For your own good.

The good part
I suggest all of you that have the 5yr powertrain warranty, go to GM's website and formiliarize yourself with the intricacies of that document. In just a moment I will tell you why you should. I understand they are going to or already did shorten the length of the powertrain warranty that comes after the 3 year bumper to bumper coverage. Doesn't matter, read and understand that too.

You can read the details here: http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty.html
Even though it says 2014, The details of the 5yr/100K warranty are the same for all years it was offered.

First let me say that coverage is great. It goes with the vehicle as in our case of being a used car.

On the parts it covers, it will pay for diagnostic time, labor to replace the part and the part of course. It also pays for roadside assistance of several varieties including towing to a dealer.

That part is great!!!!!! So we will get our slave cylinder replaced free of charge. If the clutch got wet, that too!!!! Thank the lord for saving us a lot of $$$$

The bad part
What really is terrible however is the knowledge of the dealerships.
Get this. One dealer I spoke to about the 5yr power train warranty could not tell me what was covered but wanted me to speak to the finance department about coverage. This particular service writer could not or would not tell me anything. Dropped that phone call.

At another dealer the service writer said the slave cylinder definitely was not covered. Once I read the warranty statement to him about the slave cylinder, he replied they would have to see if the slave cylinder in question was actually attached to the transmission before he could determine if it was covered under warranty. After laughing, I hung up and called the third dealer in our area.

This guy was a little better to deal with but would not discuss warranty coverage unless I gave him my VIN. I said to him "you can't tell me what is supposed to be covered without a VIN?" He said that is correct, he must have a VIN. I said that seems odd because when I sell mowers with a warranty, the warranty is clearly stated so someone shopping for a mower will know exactly what is covered whether they buy it or not. And once they buy it, the warranty is the same as before they bought it.

So I googled and called GM directly. They had to research a little before they told me what exactly was covered and even went to so far as to create a case #. This way when I got yet another service writer on the phone, I knew my rights before hand.

Incidentally the phone number for Chevy customer assistance is 800-222-1020. Use is in case you get an idiot on the phone. Based on my statistics, it is likely you will.

Just to finish the story so you aren't left hanging. I got a friend to refer me to a friend of his at a dealer. She told me which service writer to talk to. He was great. I told him I have an aluminum bearing retainer I bought from Monster Clutch and would he install it while they are there?

http://monsterclutches.com/gen-5-cam...earing-support

For those that don't know, the throw out bearing support from GM is made of plastic. See this if you haven't already:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383607

He said absolutely without hesitation. And the extended bleeder valve too!!!!! Praise the lord someone with common sense. I had said to him when I asked I understand if during a warranty repair, if they did not want to use those aftermarket parts i understood. He said no problem but to be aware that if they fail the damage they cause would not be covered through warranty. Of course I understood.

If you are in the Hampton Roads VA area and need a good dealer, see Rudy at Hall Chevrolet at their Western Branch location. Top notch guy and I haven't met him nor has the car been delivered there but I had to tell the story.

I wish more people on this site would learn how to resize the pictures in their garage so we can view them!
speedygonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS A6
Great post. The detailed warranty is also in your glove box, if you haven't lost it.

So many questions asked here every day can be answered by reading it.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:08 PM   #3
speedygonzales

Just a small update. I took the monster bearing retainer to him for install. He showed me the car with the tranny out already and waiting for the parts tomorrow. Should have the car back tomorrow.

For those that have to wait more than 2 days for a clutch job are getting hosed. He got the car today at 11:30 had the tranny out and ordered parts for arrival tomorrow and done tomorrow.

Oh yeah the 5yr warranty includes a free loaner car too!

I wish more people on this site would learn how to resize the pictures in their garage so we can view them!
Old 06-23-2015, 05:29 PM   #4
Ragnar

Drives: '14 2SS 1LE
for the info OP . if I ever have an issue, this is way that I would have wanted the repair to be done also. Update us when you get your car back .
Old 06-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #5
VTSummit

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
Glad you found a dude who knows his stuff. Not terribly common these days in ANY line of work, it seems.
Warranty is tricky at times and MOST service writers I've dealt with are very hesitant to make any assurances of coverage without the car being checked out. I've had people call ahead to see if something is covered, then arrive with something they destroyed and uncoverable- then get all pissed off because they think they were promised something.
Glad you found a good one.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:42 PM   #6
essess

Drives: 10 camaro ss
To be sure of coverage, the advisor has to type in the vin number on the chevrolet website along with the part number of the failed part. The website has the whole database of what is or isnt covered and will tell the advisor, so that is why he needed your vin im not sure why you would be hesitant to give that out. They also do not like to just say "yeah its covered come on down", meanwhile here comes the modded abused tuned camaro that should be denied and now they have a fight on their hands. They also do not like to say it over the phone because lots of times (not all the time so do not take this as some kind of insult), the customer misdiagnoses their veh, and when it comes in and its something else thats not covered thats a fight too. Does this sound like experience talking glad you were taken care of though sounds like you have a solid dealership and technician to depend on
essess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:53 PM   #7
backeddy

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
Great info......however, be aware of the "abuse" axe....because it = denied! with 537 miles on the clock, they would not even LOOK at my grinding 3rd gear, because it had been to a HPDE...Call GMCS, got a case number too...DENIED! glad I did not have to cover a 50 mile tow that I would have expected to be free..... Your luck depends solely on the dealer...if he deems you were "abusing" the car, you are done.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:22 PM   #8
speedygonzales

Well we have not abused anything. The car is back already and they washed the outside, vacuumed the inside and cleaned the glass and put some protectant on the dash.

The mechanic did not feel comfortable pulling the "clip" from the OEM slave cylinder to try to use the billet Monster clutch throw out bearing retainer. Since you have to pull out some clip or something and there were no directions with mine when I got it.

I was just amazed that they even wanted to try to use something aftermarket while doing a warranty repair. So I got it back for later. We don't race so the OEM will last us a long time.

After having dealt with idiot after idiot at dealers, it was so wonderful to deal with someone with common sense and really nice and knowledgeable for a change.

What a relief the car is back and better than ever. Phew!